Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

20 days away from Sept 1. It’s funny, if you read on the internet everyone expects to get flooded with phone calls and texts at 12:01 AM. I think reality is only a few get that treatment, but my daughter is super excited. She expects to get contacted right away, hope she’s not let down.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:16 pm 20 days away from Sept 1. It’s funny, if you read on the internet everyone expects to get flooded with phone calls and texts at 12:01 AM. I think reality is only a few get that treatment, but my daughter is super excited. She expects to get contacted right away, hope she’s not let down.
Nothing wrong about being excited. But just talk to her to make sure she understands the landscape of how things actually work so she's not disappointed if she doesn't get a call right away and let her know that it's not indicative of anything bad or negative. It's all about reasonably managing expectations. You don't wanna be too high or too low.

Most of the top girls who get calls on the 1st already know where they want to go. Some will commit right away, others will hold off until they can get a couple more visits in to different schools so they can be sure.

I'm 31 years old and i can still remember how stressful my college application process was..i can only imagine what it's like for these kids nowadays. Best of luck to you and your daughter
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:15 pm
Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:16 pm 20 days away from Sept 1. It’s funny, if you read on the internet everyone expects to get flooded with phone calls and texts at 12:01 AM. I think reality is only a few get that treatment, but my daughter is super excited. She expects to get contacted right away, hope she’s not let down.
Nothing wrong about being excited. But just talk to her to make sure she understands the landscape of how things actually work so she's not disappointed if she doesn't get a call right away and let her know that it's not indicative of anything bad or negative. It's all about reasonably managing expectations. You don't wanna be too high or too low.

Most of the top girls who get calls on the 1st already know where they want to go. Some will commit right away, others will hold off until they can get a couple more visits in to different schools so they can be sure.

I'm 31 years old and i can still remember how stressful my college application process was..i can only imagine what it's like for these kids nowadays. Best of luck to you and your daughter
Thanks. That’s what I heard. Very stressful and once the process is over, big sense of relief.
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

It is a challenging but great life lesson journey.
Do prepare your child. Have her talk to her club coach to help gauge her expectations.Make sure she doesn't compare her experience with others. Tell her coaches may want a lefty attacker who plays crease and she's a righty defender. Role play phone calls with coaches and make sure she has her list of questions prepared and she takes notes on her calls.
My daughters started the crazy recruiting in 8th grade (old rules) and they learned a lot for when 9/1 rolled around for them finally. Tell her this is a big decision and take your time!
Enjoy the experience-the visits are a special time!!
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxinforlife wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:40 pm It is a challenging but great life lesson journey.
Do prepare your child. Have her talk to her club coach to help gauge her expectations.Make sure she doesn't compare her experience with others. Tell her coaches may want a lefty attacker who plays crease and she's a righty defender. Role play phone calls with coaches and make sure she has her list of questions prepared and she takes notes on her calls.
My daughters started the crazy recruiting in 8th grade (old rules) and they learned a lot for when 9/1 rolled around for them finally. Tell her this is a big decision and take your time!
Question regarding visits. I heard they changed since the 8th grade days. She said she was told some schools don’t do the official visit until you commit. Also she only gets to do five I believe. Not sure what is true. Coach talking to her after the shutdown to prepare her. So I guess I’ll find out more but yes. She’s excited and nervous at the same time. She has been told to expect a lot of contact.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:04 am
laxinforlife wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:40 pm It is a challenging but great life lesson journey.
Question regarding visits. I heard they changed since the 8th grade days. She said she was told some schools don’t do the official visit until you commit. Also she only gets to do five I believe. Not sure what is true. Coach talking to her after the shutdown to prepare her. So I guess I’ll find out more but yes. She’s excited and nervous at the same time. She has been told to expect a lot of contact.
Same boat. Supposedly my daughter’s coach will talk to her next week about Sept 1. I’m assuming they will tell her who reached out during the summer.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

I think schools like the kids to save their official visits so they can get all the commits to come back together. My daughter took a couple of official visits last year and a couple unofficial. You only get 5 official visits but can have as many unofficial as you want.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

CnyLax wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:55 am
I think schools like the kids to save their official visits so they can get all the commits to come back together. My daughter took a couple of official visits last year and a couple unofficial. You only get 5 official visits but can have as many unofficial as you want.
There’s no longer a limit of 5 visits for Official visits.
https://www.si.com/college/2023/04/14/n ... s-recruits
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I was going to write an advice post closer to the day (and probably still will)

At this point you should already have a sense from your club recruiting director on which schools are likely interested. An important conversation to have to both manage your daughters expectations and adjust your recruiting plan going forward
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

As a parent of someone going through this process as a 25 and has gone through a couple times before a few thoughts. I am only writing this as a way to help those who are going through this for the first time. This is by no means exhaustive, but some notes I jotted down which I think could help.

If you want anything further, my DMs are always open.

In no particular order, except for the first one

1) Before 9/1, get with your recruiting director and level set expectations. They should not know most, but not all, colleges with a high level of interest. Some interested may not reach out, and you will likely get some who were completely off your radar

2) Before 9/1, make sure to email out and update on recruiting intake forms, yours latest grades and if you have taken them SAT and PSAT scores.

3) Don't stay up till midnight on 8/31 waiting to see who reaches out. Not worth it. Also, the first emails you get will likely be big form letters from schools who are reaching out to almost everyone.

4) Not all schools who indicate interest, will follow up with a phone call. It happens. Most schools are reaching out to 80-120 kids on 9/1. They will have phone calls with 25-30 and end up offering around 15-20 over time to fill 8-10 spots

5) Don't read much into who reaches out to you, whether it is the head coach or a coordinator, every school works their own process. Some schools want their DC reaches out to all defensive recruits. Doesn't mean they love you less.

6) PREP for your first call. Before you talk to a coach, you should know
a) what you would major in in that school (its ok to have a couple different ideas, its not ok to say "huhhh... I don't know")
b) what type of offense/defense that school runs
c) their level of success from past season
d) where the school is located.
e) their home football schedule (more on this for #7)
If possible go to ESPN+ and watch film of the school. Even if it means pushing the call back a day or two

7) Most schools schedule recruiting visits to align with football weekends. In case you get invited for a visit, you should know these dates. It also means chat with your top schools first so don't fill up your calender.

8) Many schools don't do official visits until you commit. This means you will be paying for everyone for a fall visit.

9) If you get an offer, 1) Congrats, not many people get to this level. 2) Make sure to ask when the coach needs an answer by 3) Make sure to know academic expectations for maintaining the offer post commit and most importantly 4) understand that timelines are fluid. A coach may give you 5 weeks, but then press for decision at 3 weeks if one of their "backup" prospects is ready to commit elsewhere

10). I've never had a goalie, but I understand their process is crazy. Not unheard of to get less than a week to decide on an offer since they are only recruiting one and don't want backups to go elsewhere.

11) End everyone call with, "what are the next steps in the process"?

12) Some coaches will ghost you. it happens. Its not you, its them

13) Try to keep an open mind and don't have your heart set on any one school -- this may end up having your pass on good opportunities.

14) Everyone's process is a bit different. remember the goal is to find your best fit, not get committed faster than others.

15) When a coach asked you who else is recruiting you, be honest. Coaches talk. Remember the goal of this question for them is to understand if they have a chance with you. For instance, if you are talking to Lehigh and you mention that the other schools you are talking to are UVA, Duke, Northwestern and BC, they will likely think they have no chance and probably start the recruitment.

16) Some offers will give you a range of $$, but not an exact amount until recruiting class is full. Others will have exact amount. Everyone works differently

17) Make sure your parents have a recent FAFSA or other financial info from parents. Most schools, especially well-endowed ones, will try to get your merit or need based money before athletic $$.

18) Don't go to any fall prospect days if you aren't actively speaking to coach. Otherwise, just a waste of $$

19) Most of the girls who commit in the first 2 or 3 weeks of September are either 1) legacies 2) aren't getting any athletic $$ or 3) Both. Don't let seeing who else is committing impact you too much. (The exception is goalies-- you need to monitor every commit since there are so few spots available).

20) If you aren't getting a clear indication on level of interest or where you stand from a coach, get your recruiting director involved. Quite frankly, this is what you have paid tens of thousands of $$ of club dues for over the past 3-8 years.
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Pretty much everything she has been prepared to do or have been doing. She took a couple of d2 calls for practice. I do like #11 and will have her add that to her questions. Thank you for sharing.
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

my daughter went on 4 official visits-went on 7 unofficial before the rule changed. It was nice to get to go on the college's dime!
ALL the advice is great, My daughter asked every coach where she stood with them and how many girls they were recruiting for that class in her position. One coach was forthright and said you're on our B list, but we're not going to get all our A list kids. Coaches do ghost you. The school my daughter ended up at-they did an unofficial the fall of her senior year with the commits and it was fabulous.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

Looking for some advice here. My daughter is a 2027. She was a late starter (7th grade), but has picked up the game quickly. Her school coach and local club coach both say she can play at the next level. She will be trying out for a more known/national club that will require a lot more out of state travel (we do not live in a hotbed).

So here is where I need help:

My significant other really doesn't buy that 9th and 10th grade are the important years in club and camp if she wants to get to the next level. She'd rather wait for junior year or so. That will be too late, I know. But is there some article or website somewhere that does a decent job of explaining the whole recruiting "game" in a 101-type of way? For example, explaining the timeline and and which years matter most and which activities (clubs, prospect days, etc.) are most useful? Please don't say, "talk to your club coach" because she (rightfully) believes they have a vest interest ($) in making the case that club matters most.

Thanks.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Bluecollar wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:21 pm Looking for some advice here. My daughter is a 2027. She was a late starter (7th grade), but has picked up the game quickly. Her school coach and local club coach both say she can play at the next level. She will be trying out for a more known/national club that will require a lot more out of state travel (we do not live in a hotbed).

My significant other really doesn't buy that 9th and 10th grade are the important years in club and camp if she wants to get to the next level. She'd rather wait for junior year or so. That will be too late, I know. But is there some article or website somewhere that does a decent job of explaining the whole recruiting "game" in a 101-type of way? For example, explaining the timeline and and which years matter most and which activities (clubs, prospect days, etc.) are most useful? Please don't say, "talk to your club coach" because she (rightfully) believes they have a vest interest ($) in making the case that club matters most.

Thanks.
There are some Facebook groups that are very specific to this process (women's lax recruiting specifically) with experienced parents who can (and have) explain the details of why this timing is so important. I’d suggest looking for those.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Bluecollar wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:21 pm Looking for some advice here. My daughter is a 2027. She was a late starter (7th grade), but has picked up the game quickly. Her school coach and local club coach both say she can play at the next level. She will be trying out for a more known/national club that will require a lot more out of state travel (we do not live in a hotbed).

Thanks.
Not sure that such a Website exists, but is probably a good idea. Agree with the point about the Facebook groups, however there is just as much bad info as good info in that group, though the lead admin is a great person

A few thoughts

1) in September go to laxnumbers.com and track commits. You will see that most top D1 programs abs increasing top d3 programs will have a majority of their classes committed before the junior recruiting window.

2) not sure what region you are in. But most clubs in my area don’t have tryouts after the summer before 9th grade. Unless you are Charlotte north, it’s tough to join a new club after that.

3) for better or worse, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a college lax coach at a high school game unless it’s to watch their kid. This is why club matters, ESPECIALLY for kids outside of hotbeds.

4) if you can share the level of lacrosse your daughter is targeting, I (and some others on this board) can provide a timeline.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Laxfan212 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:49 am

Thanks.
There are some Facebook groups that are very specific to this process (women's lax recruiting specifically) with experienced parents who can (and have) explain the details of why this timing is so important. I’d suggest looking for those.

https://www.backofthecage.com/ubbthread ... forum.html

would also suggest checking out this link. Look for your daughter's class and read through the thread. Just make sure you verify and double check with other sources on anything you read before making any kind of decision but lots of parents post there going through your situation
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Thanks.
Check out the Facebook Group: Educating Parents of HS Athletes On The College Recruiting Process.

It's run by a former college coach and she also has a book that walks through the entire process.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Thanks.
This is really interesting to read as someone who for better or worse lives in a hotbed. Here you start in Kindergarten late-starter is 2nd maybe 3rd grade. My daughter is in elementary and the pressure to play club ball is intense although we've resisted so far since she already does "dome league" & rec in the spring. Typically the best girls on the rec team start club ball in 2nd grade playing pretty much year round including camps/clinics. So, that might be helpful info to tell your wife as far as not needing to worry about club ball in HS.

However, I would also add that if your doing it because your daughter is having fun that is awesome go for it. If your doing it for college $ there really isn't much of that. Time would be better spent on academics.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bluecollar wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:21 pm My significant other really doesn't buy that 9th and 10th grade are the important years in club and camp if she wants to get to the next level. She'd rather wait for junior year or so. That will be too late, I know.
Very much like your better half's way of thinking (I have a hard time buying the too late part, if you're good enough you'll play).
Remember this in your process, a happy wife is a happy life. Jus' sayin'.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

cltlax wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:43 am

Thanks.
Check out the Facebook Group: Educating Parents of HS Athletes On The College Recruiting Process.

It's run by a former college coach and she also has a book that walks through the entire process.
Her page is full of misinformation when it comes to wlax. And she’ll lock every thread after she provides a short, inaccurate response.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”