Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
essorcalveritas

Re: Navy 2023

Post by essorcalveritas »

Who are the 4/5 stars on the roster currently? How many are contributing significantly ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

essorcalveritas wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:55 am Who are the 4/5 stars on the roster currently? How many are contributing significantly ?
I mentioned two, Airline and Bonitz. The lists linked just before you will show them.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

essorcalveritas wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:55 am Who are the 4/5 stars on the roster currently? How many are contributing significantly ?
14 on current roster. By my count, 6-8 are starters/seeing plenty of time. Of note, I did not see Skalniak on any of the IL lists....and he is arguably the best Offensive player on the field.

smith 4 star (no longer playing)
Rentz 4 star

Airline 5 star?? (For some reason IL no longer lists him as the 'then #5 recruit)
Bonitz 5 star
Swanson 4 star
LiCalzi 4 star
Craven 4 star
Peters 4 star
Jarosz 4 star

Gregorek 4 star
Tolker 4 star

Haley 4 star
Hernandez 4 star
Daly 4 star
Gallagher 4 star
Flaherty4 star
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Interesting that the discussion has shifted to the number of 4/5 star athletes on the roster.
Before putting any stock into this 4/5 star rating, take a deep look into the incestuous relationship between the clubs, tournaments and those who are actually l rating the players.I think you will be interested in the overall finding. Follow the money, it’s pretty simple.

More importantly, I am waiting for the same “subject matter experts” to rate the coaches in the same manner. It will never happen due to the excess amount of money that exchanges hands between all.

The Talent is at Navy, but I think the Coaching Staff is having trouble getting the most out of each individual student athlete, PEROID.

Coaches haven’t invested in the long-term development of each student athletes instead they have allowed “special” players to play outside team concepts, team rules and this has really affected the over all team chemistry.

The Coaches are 100 percent responsible for the current state of Navy Lacrosse with the lack of long-term development of the entire Navy Lacrosse Program.

Game Prediction : Heart is with Navy, but Hop +10
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Goat - I'd love to talk lacrosse X's and O's. Your incentuous comment has rang true since the 1990, if not earlier...its the nature of most sports, same with every alumni network out there. Tell me USNA alum don't take care of one another....exactly.

I invest plenty of time putting posts out there to encourage conversation on what is happening on the field of play, X's and O's, schematics, with an attempt to NOT call out players as much as possible. Did you read my post from Sunday?

I will say, having coached for ~20 years, players have a tendency to go dumb when they step on the field and forget how to execute schemes you practiced dozens upon dozens of times. Coaches also have a tendency to grossly overlook surrounding talent and NOT give them a chance on game days, for a modicum of reasons. I think that may be your point WRT "special" players and breaking team chemistry.

Additionally, I agree with you on long term development....its why I have been fussing for over 8+ years on our offensive style of play...which I stated in the linked post from Sunday, it sucks.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:42 pm Interesting that the discussion has shifted to the number of 4/5 star athletes on the roster.
Before putting any stock into this 4/5 star rating, take a deep look into the incestuous relationship between the clubs, tournaments and those who are actually l rating the players.I think you will be interested in the overall finding. Follow the money, it’s pretty simple.

More importantly, I am waiting for the same “subject matter experts” to rate the coaches in the same manner. It will never happen due to the excess amount of money that exchanges hands between all.

The Talent is at Navy, but I think the Coaching Staff is having trouble getting the most out of each individual student athlete, PEROID.

Coaches haven’t invested in the long-term development of each student athletes instead they have allowed “special” players to play outside team concepts, team rules and this has really affected the over all team chemistry.

The Coaches are 100 percent responsible for the current state of Navy Lacrosse with the lack of long-term development of the entire Navy Lacrosse Program.

Gymmans siren call
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Very good posts on the talent
and the inability to get the most out of that talent.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:19 pm
TheGoat1999 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:42 pm Interesting that the discussion has shifted to the number of 4/5 star athletes on the roster.

Gymmans siren call
Wow. Hopkins winning by ten or more should lead people to believe even more that coaching may be the issue. On paper, Hopkins actually isn't that much more talented than Navy.
essorcalveritas

Post by essorcalveritas »

I appreciate the post by "youthathletics" earlier. The issue of talent on this team keeps being brought up. My search of the IL database for 4/5 stars yielded a few more names than the previous post. This in no way reflects on-field performances or validity of the ranking system itself (just reporting what's on the web). This also does not account for 3* recruits (several additional players on the squad, who are theoretically less likely to be contributors). See for example Max Hewitt (starter) or Skalniak (who got 0 stars). One should not discount players who were overlooked, weren't rated or rated too low for whatever reason (clearly the IL system is far from perfect).

Per IL rankings below, many are starters or significant contributors this season.

Class of 2019:
Smith 4* (not on the team)
Rentz 4*

Class of 2020:
Arline 5 *
Bonitz 5*
LaRocco 4* (now 2021)
Peters 4*
Hovivian 4*
Jarosz 4*
Craven 4*
Swanson 4*
LiCalzi 4*

Class of 2021:
Hernandez 4* (now 2022)
Ghobriel 4*
Tolker 4*
Glatz 4* (not on the team)
Gregorek 4*

Class of 2022:
Garza 4*
Gallagher 4*
Flaherty 4*
Haley 4*
Hurdle 4*
Ripley 4*
Daly 4*

Botton line: the team has plenty of talent. They need to find a way to start winning again and soon!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

essorcalveritas wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:12 pm I appreciate the post by "youthathletics" earlier. The issue of talent on this team keeps being brought up. My search of the IL database for 4/5 stars yielded a few more names than the previous post. This in no way reflects on-field performances or validity of the ranking system itself (just reporting what's on the web). This also does not account for 3* recruits (several additional players on the squad, who are theoretically less likely to be contributors). See for example Max Hewitt (starter) or Skalniak (who got 0 stars). One should not discount players who were overlooked, weren't rated or rated too low for whatever reason (clearly the IL system is far from perfect).

Per IL rankings below, many are starters or significant contributors this season.

Class of 2019:
Smith 4* (not on the team)
Rentz 4*

Class of 2020:
Arline 5 *
Bonitz 5*
LaRocco 4* (now 2021)
Peters 4*
Hovivian 4*
Jarosz 4*
Craven 4*
Swanson 4*
LiCalzi 4*

Class of 2021:
Hernandez 4* (now 2022)
Ghobriel 4*
Tolker 4*
Glatz 4* (not on the team)
Gregorek 4*

Class of 2022:
Garza 4*
Gallagher 4*
Flaherty 4*
Haley 4*
Hurdle 4*
Ripley 4*
Daly 4*

Botton line: the team has plenty of talent. They need to find a way to start winning again and soon!
They sure do! In no way should Hopkins blow them out, like they may well do.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

19 - 7 Jays. :lol:
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:31 pm 19 - 7 Jays. :lol:
Wouldn't be shocked at all! In fact, I am smelling something like this.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Nailed it with 4/5 star comment.looking at the roster with 20 plus 4/5 star players it’s more like 7/8 4/5 players.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:31 pm 19 - 7 Jays. :lol:
I think Navy's goalies will have a good day, and the Navy defense will step up a bit more, holding the Hop margin of victory down to 3. Would love to see Navy surprise the Jays, though I don't see it as likely.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

X’s & O’s or Jimmy & Joes? Show me a good coach & I’ll show you good players(J Wooden)… schemes on O are only effective if a player or two can beat their man and either shoot or draw a slide..otherwise you’re peeing in the wind. Coaches know this and that’s why they rely on the same initiators and the other guys are either catch-n-shoot types or relay guys. A Coach can draw up the best scheme or play, but if the ball carrier is unable to get his hands free, it’s a no go.. Navy’s injury bug has crippled their ability to execute the aforementioned, imho…
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

who are the top 3 coaches to take over Navy lax???
old salt

Post by old salt »

Excerpt from today's SITREP email from Coach Amplo. Correlates with YA's observations & concerns.

-- Our goalie play has to improve. We have worked this week on an attacking mindset between the pipes and cleaning up the positioning of each of our goalies.
-- Offensively, we have to play faster. More specifically, the ball has to move and not die in specific players' sticks. While certain guys need the ball in their stick to move the defense, we must ensure that ball movement and the extra pass are our goals.
-- Defensively, we need to establish our identity and remain consistent. Consistency defensively has to be our backbone and our unit has to take ownership of that.
old salt

Post by old salt »

essorcalveritas wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:12 pm See for example Max Hewitt (starter) or Skalniak (who got 0 stars). One should not discount players who were overlooked, weren't rated or rated too low for whatever reason (clearly the IL system is far from perfect).
From Denver CO & Dallas TX, respectively. Out of hot bed spotlights could have something to do with it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm X’s & O’s or Jimmy & Joes? Show me a good coach & I’ll show you good players(J Wooden)… schemes on O are only effective if a player or two can beat their man and either shoot or draw a slide..otherwise you’re peeing in the wind. Coaches know this and that’s why they rely on the same initiators and the other guys are either catch-n-shoot types or relay guys. A Coach can draw up the best scheme or play, but if the ball carrier is unable to get his hands free, it’s a no go.. Navy’s injury bug has crippled their ability to execute the aforementioned, imho…
I certainly agree, losing 28 and 29 hurts, but they also where not dialed in while healthy(see sh%). I attribute that to a few things, but primarily not stretching the players abilities beyond their current comfort level.

Counterpoint to your comment:
When you can’t beat a 1v1, then the coach has to improvise, adapt, and (hopefully)overcome. He’s not there to just drive the bus and do the same thing expecting a different result.

- Ball movement has to much faster, currently it stalls with each player trying to find the next opportunity.
- Picks provide a half-step advantage (most of the time)
- Multiple picks in motion, disrupt defensive slide packages, create openings for the slip/backside guys, open up skip lanes, create favorable matchups due to disruption.
- Creative substitutions
- defensive transition
- more strategic wing play on faceoffs (long overdue)
- wing dodges that force defenses to make calculated decisions (how do they slide and recover if O goes topside/underneath)
- backside transfers, rather than watching the dodger or just parking waiting for the premium step down or your turn to catch the ball to just pass it AJ.
- quick designed outlets from a save, to push transition, rather than controlled clears.

Sure, they may very well be attempting all this in practice and realize we just can’t get it right. If true, then we are just kicking the can with our hands in our pockets. Which is why I made the comment last Sunday that a discussion with AD/NAAA/Alum should take place to give the Staff plenty of time to 'change' our culture on the field. We seem to be far too entrenched in yesteryear, flush the antiquated style of play of decades past, and retain 'innovative' staff for durations longer than 2-3 years; our players are the ones suffering and there is nothing they can do. Remember....they are trained to follow orders.
~Livy
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:03 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm X’s & O’s or Jimmy & Joes? Show me a good coach & I’ll show you good players(J Wooden)… schemes on O are only effective if a player or two can beat their man and either shoot or draw a slide..otherwise you’re peeing in the wind. Coaches know this and that’s why they rely on the same initiators and the other guys are either catch-n-shoot types or relay guys. A Coach can draw up the best scheme or play, but if the ball carrier is unable to get his hands free, it’s a no go.. Navy’s injury bug has crippled their ability to execute the aforementioned, imho…
I certainly agree, losing 28 and 29 hurts, but they also where not dialed in while healthy(see sh%). I attribute that to a few things, but primarily not stretching the players abilities beyond their current comfort level.

Counterpoint to your comment:
When you can’t beat a 1v1, then the coach has to improvise, adapt, and (hopefully)overcome. He’s not there to just drive the bus and do the same thing expecting a different result.

- Ball movement has to much faster, currently it stalls with each player trying to find the next opportunity.
- Picks provide a half-step advantage (most of the time)
- Multiple picks in motion, disrupt defensive slide packages, create openings for the slip/backside guys, open up skip lanes, create favorable matchups due to disruption.
- Creative substitutions
- defensive transition
- more strategic wing play on faceoffs (long overdue)
- wing dodges that force defenses to make calculated decisions (how do they slide and recover if O goes topside/underneath)
- backside transfers, rather than watching the dodger or just parking waiting for the premium step down or your turn to catch the ball to just pass it AJ.
- quick designed outlets from a save, to push transition, rather than controlled clears.

Sure, they may very well be attempting all this in practice and realize we just can’t get it right. If true, then we are just kicking the can with our hands in our pockets. Which is why I made the comment last Sunday that a discussion with AD/NAAA/Alum should take place to give the Staff plenty of time to 'change' our culture on the field. We seem to be far too entrenched in yesteryear, flush the antiquated style of play of decades past, and retain 'innovative' staff for durations longer than 2-3 years; our players are the ones suffering and there is nothing they can do. Remember....they are trained to follow orders.
I don't watch all the games but tonight's game both head coaches hired around the same time, both have new offensive coordinator's, and mentioned above on paper should be even game. So why is one team on the rise?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”