Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wom of the Bat clan, I in won we got into it before around raymond but I do think he’s a stellar person and don’t think that car accident would affect the decision making here. If he were to turn down an offer it’d be about family, pressure of expectations of alums, ability to carve out a unique path in Geneva. I don’t think you guys really look closely at Raymond as a coach and style though and just see the scoring last two years (and keep in mind when we had personnel that was different we weren’t a scoring machine, see 16-17 season results and box scores). Almost everything folks hated about Petro he does on field, calmer no doubt but will quickly yank guys for mistakes and has hurt a few mentally that way, consistent inability to beat a zone (see almost every Bryant game w NEC champ in 2017 being an abomination), shorten bench a ton as season progresses, footwork and placement based d that often doesn’t extend out or cause TOs. Lots of good stuff but he isn’t Tiffany or a true run and gun coach who plays a lot of guys or takes risks on D
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:38 am
harflax wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:20 pm https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ana ... story.html

Interesting commentary
Interesting in that it is built upon a strawman with respect to the fanbase wanting to return to the 70s and 80s. No one has said that but 1 Final Four in 12 years less than Loyola is not acceptable. And this isn't to demean Loyola because Loyola has been a great program over the last decade. But, given Hopkins ability to recruit, built in prestige and the fact the schools are about a mile apart and have a comparable AD department (yes, Loyola is DI but it isn't a P5 school) and yet, they seem to have figured out how to win and be competitive against other top programs over the last 5 years.
Yes, but 2 final fours in the decade is impressive per our tiny school standards, but would that be considered impressive in other schools as well?
As an outsider, what is the expectation for Hopkins to make final fours in the modern game- every 2-3 years? Same question applies to JHU teams that make the NCAA quarters.

We may have comparable AD departments where vast amount of resources goes to the Men's Lacrosse Programs but we would struggle MUCH more than Hop with the brutal schedule that they play.

Success and being competitive imo deals is relative to the teams you play. Loyola plays one Big East, one CAA, two ACC , and two Big 10 outside the PL schedule. That right there pales in comparison to Hop's schedule. Loyola can realistically bite what they can chew, if we had something similar to Hop's schedule then i don't think the fairly appreciative comment you made would be stated. Just my two cents
Last edited by houndace1 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:57 am Wom of the Bat clan, I in won we got into it before around raymond but I do think he’s a stellar person and don’t think that car accident would affect the decision making here. If he were to turn down an offer it’d be about family, pressure of expectations of alums, ability to carve out a unique path in Geneva. I don’t think you guys really look closely at Raymond as a coach and style though and just see the scoring last two years (and keep in mind when we had personnel that was different we weren’t a scoring machine, see 16-17 season results and box scores). Almost everything folks hated about Petro he does on field, calmer no doubt but will quickly yank guys for mistakes and has hurt a few mentally that way, consistent inability to beat a zone (see almost every Bryant game w NEC champ in 2017 being an abomination), shorten bench a ton as season progresses, footwork and placement based d that often doesn’t extend out or cause TOs. Lots of good stuff but he isn’t Tiffany or a true run and gun coach who plays a lot of guys or takes risks on D
Raymond would be my #1 choice. Just a good coach all the way around and his players will play for him.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t disagree but everything everyone pissed about and complained about w Petro you are going to get w Raymond as a coaching style. It’s not a Marr, Tiffany, Sowell etc. you’re getting Bobby Knight not Calipari with Raymond
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This video from Rabil, a nice moment he shared with Petro, seems kind of prophetic now:

https://twitter.com/PaulRabil/status/12 ... 6554822661
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

deleted
Last edited by Catbird on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm Good luck to Mr. Kevin Cassese on his new adventure. The job won't be easy, but we all hope you are the man for it.

Something interesting from his bio on the Lehigh website.
On a personal level, Cassese made his coaching debut for US Lacrosse at the 2014 World Lacrosse Championships in Denver, serving as an assistant coach under Team USA head coach Richie Meade (Furman), alongside assistants Dave Pietramala (Johns Hopkins) and Jeff Tambroni (Penn State). Cassese’s responsibilities included faceoff coordinator and goalie coordinator while handling rides, clears and the sub game.
This is a fake story. IL has reported the site to Twitter
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm Good luck to Mr. Kevin Cassese on his new adventure. The job won't be easy, but we all hope you are the man for it.

On a personal level, Cassese made his coaching debut for US Lacrosse at the 2014 World Lacrosse Championships in Denver, serving as an assistant coach under Team USA head coach Richie Meade (Furman), alongside assistants Dave Pietramala (Johns Hopkins) and Jeff Tambroni (Penn State). Cassese’s responsibilities included faceoff coordinator and goalie coordinator while handling rides, clears and the sub game.
That tweet was from a fake account with 0 followers. Casseese is not the next coach. Crazy how many people have been duped by this.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Ah that figures. The search continues.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

I will miss Dave dearly and wish him the best.
Bye, bye Dopey Bobby. Here's hoping he does not land on his feet.
Worse OC ever. His personality alone and ability to develop players should have his phone ringing of the hook. :twisted:
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 pm

That tweet was from a fake account with 0 followers. Casseese is not the next coach. Crazy how many people have been duped by this.
I don't care if it was fake or not. There is no way Hopkins would have had this lined up before the decision was made on DP. They might have some feelers sent out by the hiring firm but it wouldn't have been specific beyond normal due diligence an outside hiring firm does gauging interest of potential coaches that would have interest - and I don't just mean Hopkins but other schools.

There is no way Hopkins interviewed anyone before the decision was made because I doubt any coach that Hopkins would want would even take part in an interview when DP was still listed as the coach.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mightyjoe wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:17 pm I will miss Dave dearly and wish him the best.
Worse OC ever. His personality alone and ability to develop players should have his phone ringing of the hook. :twisted:
Dick
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm
Mightyjoe wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:17 pm I will miss Dave dearly and wish him the best.
Dick
Thats just not nice. Calling Bobby a dick is just not nice.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Is it? Really that crazy?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
old salt

Post by old salt »

ISL Laxin' wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:45 pm Is there really any question as to who should replace Petro? It's gotta be Bill.

https://quickstickblog.com/2020/04/14/b ... belichick/
With his buddy Petro gone, will Belichick remain a Hop fan or revert to his Navy roots ?

They're still holding the Key to the City for him in Annapolis.
old salt

Post by old salt »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:49 am Our page count shot way up. Did I miss something?
.:lol:. ...I just wanna know how this impacts the renewal of the Navy-JHU series, ...if play ever resumes.

We almost had free parking, ...for 1 year anyway.
Homewood15

Post by Homewood15 »

Thoughts on Steele moving over to the Men's team to take the reins as OC? Would he even accept?

Would definitely be a step up from BB imo.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Homewood15 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm Thoughts on Steele moving over to the Men's team to take the reins as OC? Would he even accept?

Lol how can you possibly say that? The guy has never coached a minute of men's lacrosse in his life. Yes, in theory he COULD be good and it's certainly an interesting idea to throw out there but it's wild people keep bringing him up as if he's a certain upgrade over the previous OC, who has had a top 15 offense more often than he hasn't. Could there be improvements? Absolutely. Saying a guy who's never coordinated a men's offense before would "definitely" be a step up is ludicrous.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Homewood15 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm Thoughts on Steele moving over to the Men's team to take the reins as OC? Would he even accept?

I'm really not understanding this idea at all. Stanwick has never had an offense better than 25th in scoring offense in his 6 full seasons as OC of JHU Women. In fact, they got worse each year of his tenure for his first 4 years; they started at 25th in Year 1 and then by 2017 they had fallen to 67th. From 2017-19 they haven't even been in the Top 40 of scoring offense. Scoring offense isn't the best indicator, but there's no efficiency #'s for women's lax like with men. Then again the two games are different to begin with, so projecting how a dude who's never coached in the men's game would do based off of women's #'s isn't exact either.

Either way, there's no evidence at all that Stanwick would do well as OC, and certainly none that he'd do better than a coach who had five consecutive Top 10 offenses in offensive efficiency from 2014-2018. The idea is pretty ludicrous.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not arguing the point, but do we know for a certainty that Steele has zero experience coaching men's lax?
No summer ball coaching, etc?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”