All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

RedFromMI

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by RedFromMI »

Early on, Cheney and Cotton warned about the coronavirus. They still face pushback in the GOP.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... story.html
Frustrated by the-cure-is-worse-than-the-pandemic rhetoric, some prominent Republicans have begun to forcefully defend the medical science behind the virtual shutdown of the U.S. economy.

These aren’t moderate Republicans in swing districts or those facing tough Senate reelections in battleground states — they hail from the hawkish wing of the GOP. Led by Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.) and Sen. Tom Cotton (Ark.), they are conservatives whose strident views on national security, particularly toward China, remain controversial.

And they have chosen their words carefully, not directly rebuking President Trump. His own views ranged from initially demanding the economy reopen by next Sunday, Easter, to warning of more than 200,000 deaths from the coronavirus and extending social-distancing guidelines at least until April 30.

But, in a pair of speeches last week that were delivered before a largely empty House and Senate, Cheney and Cotton mapped out a domestic response to the coronavirus that could have easily been delivered by most Democrats or a moderate Republican.

“In this greatest nation on Earth, we protect the sick and the most vulnerable. We owe all we have to our mothers and our fathers, to the generations who came before, and we must do all we can now to protect them,” Cheney said during her March 27 floor speech.

“This frustration has given rise to a new and growing argument that Americans can’t wait any longer, that we ought to open back up and take our chances with this virus. After all, we can’t stay inside forever. We can’t, as the saying goes, let the cure be worse than the disease,” Cotton said in his March 25 speech.

That “not so simple” choice would lead to chaos in health care and the economy, he said. “Hospitals will collapse. Care will be rationed. Doctors will face the terrible choice of whom to save and whom to let perish.”

In follow-up interviews, Cotton and Cheney made clear that their early focus on the virus made them outliers, dismissed by many Republicans who have heard their warnings about China.

Cotton said he specifically delivered his speech after hearing “some on the right” embrace the idea that social distancing practices would cause worse results, economically, than just allowing people to get sick.

“Many Republican senators were voicing that viewpoint,” he said of his private conversations.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Unafraid to call out Trump, Hogan emerges as lead GOP voice for urgent action on pandemic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md ... story.html

Post is on a roll this morning...
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:52 am
Unafraid to call out Trump, Hogan emerges as lead GOP voice for urgent action on pandemic

He was invisible to the nation and to the PRESS—just like all republican governors— until he staked out positions against Trump.

Now he's God.

Anybody remember Gavin Newsome.

Since hes been talking positively about the Trump response in California—hes been wiped out of the main stream media.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am

He was invisible to the nation and to the PRESS—just like all republican governors— until he staked out positions against Trump.

Now he's God.

Since hes been talking positively about the Trump response in California—hes been wiped out of the main stream media.

:lol: So true.

Also his state can’t figure out testing so until such time, no need to spotlight him.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

If you’re going to wear face masks, might I point out that you don’t need to wear them after you walk out of your local Target. Maybe in NYC, but you’re safe breathing regular air outside. In fact it’s healthier to breathe in air rather than taxing your lungs more.

I keep seeing people with masks on as they're loading their bags outside in parking lots, and keeping them on as they drive away....geez Louise. Maybe people aren’t as bright as I’d like to think.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 am

The 'Death Instinct' duo arrive to save the day!

Scratch everything. We're all gonna die. :lol:

Back to work!
Just a "Death" duo, there has got to be at least a quartet if not even more
RedFromMI and MdLaxFan are certainly among the group.
Live Free or Die!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:11 pm

Now he's God.

:lol: So true.

Also his state can’t figure out testing so until such time, no need to spotlight him.
Yes....the post is on a roll...like toilet paper to wipe my arse. Glenn Kessler shows the Posts' true colors. https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/stat ... 84577?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Back to work!
Other than the grossness of the term, and it's pure unadulterated stupidity, I'll happily agree that I'm among the group that has been persistently, early and often, refuting the nonsense that this crisis is not cataclysmic both in deaths and economic damage, and that the faster and tougher the public health response, the lower the death toll and economic toll.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The Post is pointing out an important issue. The White house is saying, We have testing, We're in good shape, etc. and Hogan is looking at what he's experiencing as well as talking to others in his position and... this simply isn't true. Now is not the time to be lying.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Now he's God.

Just like the John McCain sainthood.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Now he's God.

Boy, it's REALLY difficult to understand why someone in the Republican Party saying something bad about Trump's performance makes the news.

You boys are REALLY going to pretend you don't understand why? Seriously? For reals?

I'll give you a hint: 6ft and Pete Brown will swear on a stack of Bibles that they despise government. Yet if you look at their posts in this thread, they have spent 99% of their time defending our Federal government's performance in this crisis.

Now why would supposedly anti-government...and in particular, anti-Federal government.....posters like PB and 6ft spend all their time defending the Federal government as if they can do no wrong?
Last edited by a fan on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 pm
Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Back to work!
Other than the grossness of the term, and it's pure unadulterated stupidity, I'll happily agree that I'm among the group that has been persistently, early and often, refuting the nonsense that this crisis is not cataclysmic both in deaths and economic damage, and that the faster and tougher the public health response, the lower the death toll and economic toll.
I don't really agree with you last statement.
In my view the economic damage is on a continual upward trend. Thus ending the lockdown at this moment would lower the economic toll.
Last edited by Cooter on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free or Die!
DocBarrister

DocBarrister Much More Accurate Than Trump on Feb 26

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:29 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:11 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:43 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:43 pm Even if the actual number of coronavirus infection cases is double the “official” count of around 80,000, the mortality rate would still be 1,000 times that of “ordinary” flu. That’s pretty frightening.

This epidemic can still be managed, but we’re definitely on the cusp of a global pandemic. IF IT TRULY BECOMES A PANDEMIC then we’re talking about many thousands of additional deaths and a potential global recession.

DocBarrister :shock: :o
So Doc here's your first post in the thread. February 26th, You don't sound like your hairs on fire. Pretty reasoned. Where were you in January and February screaming Trump was a stumbling idiot.

Were were the democrats and their media amplifier in three debates prior to this withoutt a mention of this disease.

NYs health commissioner had already advised all NewYorkers to come to the Chinese New Year parade to show they were WOKE and not racists.

The Mayor of New Orleans another Democrat had pushed attendance at Mardi Gras.

And Trump had already closed the borders declared a public health emergency and put the coronavirus task force together.
I wasn’t the one getting national intelligence warnings since early January about the coming crisis ... and then ignoring them.

Should note that I was sounding more alarms on February 26 than Trump.

Your continued support of Trump can only be described as deplorable.

DocBarrister
Again. This is the first post on the subject in this thread from the Grand High Poobah of the He Man Trump Haters Club. FEBRUARY 26th.
IF iT BECOMES.....
Here are Trump’s statements from Feb. 26:

WHAT TRUMP SAID
February 26
Trump said cases of the coronavirus in the US “could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time.” He continued, saying the current cases would come down to near zero. “Within a couple of days [they’re] going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/politics ... index.html

How is it that some dude posting on a %#*^%# lacrosse forum as “DocBarrister” posted a statement on Feb. 26 that was far, far, far more accurate and prescient than what the president of the United States stated on the same day?

6ft, you obviously never bothered checking what Trump said on the same day, so can you please stop wasting our time? If we wanted to hear blatant lies and slanders, we would tune in to Trump’s daily briefings.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:39 pm I don't really agree with you last statement.
In my view the economic damage is on a continual downward trend.
Do you mean to say that you think the economic damage is increasing and getting worse?
ggait

Post by ggait »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 pm If you’re going to wear face masks, might I point out that you don’t need to wear them after you walk out of your local Target. Maybe in NYC, but you’re safe breathing regular air outside. In fact it’s healthier to breathe in air rather than taxing your lungs more.

I keep seeing people with masks on as they're loading their bags outside in parking lots, and keeping them on as they drive away....geez Louise. Maybe people aren’t as bright as I’d like to think.
Wrong. You should remove the mask when you can be cleaning your hands. Suppose you picked up some virus from the shopping cart handle? Moving those infected hands up to your face for mask removal is a super dumb thing to do Pete!

Also, people can still come close to you in the parking lot. Good idea to park your vehicle away from other vehicles. Good distancing for loading and you also get some extra steps in.

Best practice is to keep your mask AND gloves on until you return the cart to the corral. Then you can remove the mask AND gloves and drive away in your clean mobile social distancer.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:47 pm
Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:39 pm I don't really agree with you last statement.
In my view the economic damage is on a continual downward trend.
Do you mean to say that you think the economic damage is increasing and getting worse?
You caught me there, I got mixed up on the double negative.

Economic damage is on a continual upward trend.
I'll go back and edit my post.
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Didn't mean to "catch" you, Cooter! I was just trying to understand you thoughts.

Thanks for clarifying.
Last edited by a fan on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

ggait wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 pm If you’re going to wear face masks, might I point out that you don’t need to wear them after you walk out of your local Target. Maybe in NYC, but you’re safe breathing regular air outside. In fact it’s healthier to breathe in air rather than taxing your lungs more.

Wrong. You should remove the mask when you can be cleaning your hands. Suppose you picked up some virus from the shopping cart handle? Moving those infected hands up to your face for mask removal is a super dumb thing to do Pete!

Also, people can still come close to you in the parking lot. Good idea to park your vehicle away from other vehicles. Good distancing for loading and you also get some extra steps in.

Best practice is to keep your mask AND gloves on until you return the cart to the corral. Then you can remove the mask AND gloves and drive away in your clean mobile social distancer.
This is correct. One of the benefits of wearing a mask is preventing the touching of one’s nose and mouth, two of the most important routes of coronavirus transmission.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:36 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Now he's God.

Boy, it's REALLY difficult to understand why someone in the Republican Party saying something bad about Trump's performance makes the news.

You boys are REALLY going to pretend you don't understand why? Seriously? For reals?

I'll give you a hint: 6ft and Pete Brown will swear on a stack of Bibles that they despise government. Yet if you look at their posts in this thread, they have spent 99% of their time defending our Federal government's performance in this crisis.

Now why would supposedly anti-government...and in particular, anti-Federal government.....posters like PB and 6ft spend all their time defending the Federal government as if they can do no wrong?

This guy above needs to start taking memory supplements. Is there a doctor here who can write out a scrip? :lol:

Here’s what I’ve said. Democrats are authoritarians. Pandemics are better suited for authoritarians. Therefore, I have no doubt Hillary would be effective in this moment, even though the people she’d surround herself with are likewise authoritarian.

Its the before and after of a moment like now when we should fear Democrats. America is a land of freedom. America is a land of hope. America is a land of success. America is not a land for the death instinct crowd.

Speaking of, the NY numbers are looking (relatively of course) much better than expected. Same all over the world. Estimates dropping fast. The model vs reality for New York State, April 5: 69K beds projected, 16.5K actually needed; 12,346 ICU beds projected, 4376 needed. Even better, overall bed count rose less than 600 statewide - less than 4%.

American media doubling down on hysteria.

Back to work!!!
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

The fast-spreading novel coronavirus is almost certainly killing Americans who are not included in the nation’s growing death toll, according to public health experts and government officials involved in the tally.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention counts only deaths in which the presence of the coronavirus is confirmed in a laboratory test. “We know that it is an underestimation,” agency spokeswoman Kristen Nordlund said.

A widespread lack of access to testing in the early weeks of the U.S. outbreak means people with respiratory illnesses died without being counted, epidemiologists say. Even now, some people who die at home or in overburdened nursing homes are not being tested, according to funeral directors, medical examiners and nursing home representatives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”