SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: SCOTUS

Post by jhu72 »

So SCOTUS blessed Biden's $6 billion educational loan forgiveness plan after challenge by a bunch of republiCON whiner's -- who obviously lacked standing.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Not only lacked standing but economic literacy
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Clarence Thomas has claimed income from a defunct real estate firm for almost two decades. The company — a Nebraska real estate firm launched in the 1980s by his wife and her relatives — has not existed since 2006. The company was replaced by Ginger Holdings, LLC, though Thomas has continued to report between $50,000 and $100,000 annually from the defunct company on his financial disclosure forms.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:37 pm Clarence Thomas has claimed income from a defunct real estate firm for almost two decades. The company — a Nebraska real estate firm launched in the 1980s by his wife and her relatives — has not existed since 2006. The company was replaced by Ginger Holdings, LLC, though Thomas has continued to report between $50,000 and $100,000 annually from the defunct company on his financial disclosure forms.
Jesus!! This is a Supreme Court Justice of The United States of America….guess he needed the money to hang out in Walmart parking lots.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 15890/amp/

How long before Clarence puts in a call to Ben Crump and does a sit down with Oprah? :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:57 pm https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 15890/amp/

How long before Clarence puts in a call to Ben Crump and does a sit down with Oprah? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No surprise here -way back during his confirmation hearings it was apparent what a slug he was. He contributed NADA to the court for al l the many years he was in the minority. Now in the majority he has been Chatty Cathy........maybe "not anymore" as Inspector Clouseau would say.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Kismet wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:33 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:57 pm https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 15890/amp/

No surprise here -way back during his confirmation hearings it was apparent what a slug he was. He contributed NADA to the court for al lthe many years he was in the minority. Now he has been Chatty Cathy........maybe "not anymore" as Inspector Clouseau would say.
The leading expert in legal/lawyer/judge ethics:

“Any presumption in favor of Thomas’s integrity and commitment to comply with the law is gone. His assurances and promises cannot be trusted. Is there more? What’s the whole story? The nation needs to know.” Stephen Gillers, New York University
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

No need for conservatives to worry, Thomas is still above the law :)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Maybe Justice Thomas was just collecting reparations in his own way. You white liberals got a problem with that? :D. All of a sudden ethics suddenly just slithered into the conversation as far as democRATS are concerned. :D You FLP liberals want to lecture America about ethics and morality and virtue, your the folks who declared a degenerate, drunken lowlife murdering piece of chit to be the Lion of the Senate. Teddy already bathed in the wealth of the Kennedy clan. Poor old Clarence availed himself of the benefits that Teddy enjoyed. I bet Clarence never had a waitress sandwich. He just hobnobbed with rich Republicans. He let them spend their money on him. If you all can prove Clarence took advantage of these perks... It won't matter because there are no rules that says he can't go on vacation with a bunch of rich Republicans paying the tab. Does doing so create the appearance of impropriety??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
ggait

Post by ggait »

It sure does appear impropriotous. Even if rich benefactor never asked directly for a vote.

Rich guy bought Mom's house, improved it, proceeds go to Clarence and the Thomas family, yet Mom continues to live in the improved house (presumably rent free). Supposed to become a Clarence Thomas museum.

Rich guy bought an old cannery in Thomas' home town for several million. Turning it into a museum that will prominently feature Thomas. Thomas arrives at the dedication by sailing into town on rich dude's 50 meter mega-yacht.

Donated $150k for the Clarence Thomas wing of the library in Thomas' home town.

Donated $500k to Libby Thomas' lobbying firm, which funds were used to pay her salary.

Donated $??? dollars to build a graveyard 1,800 pound statute of Thomas' favorite nun in grade school. Thomas speaks at the dedication. Flies to the location on rich dude's private jet.

Donated $105k for a portrait of Thomas to be hung at Yale Law School. Flies Thomas up to New Haven to attend the dedication on rich dude's plane.

A $19k Frederick Douglas bible.

A $15k bust of Lincoln.

And then all the other plane flights, yacht trips, lux vacations that would cost Thomas millions if he and Ginni had to pay for it.

Just friendly hospitality? No.

Super weird? Yup.

Disclosed? Almost none of it.

Corrupting influence? You tell me.

But appearance of impropriety? 1000%.
Last edited by ggait on Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

ggait wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:27 pm It sure does appear impropriotous. Even if rich benefactor never asked directly for a vote.

Rich guy bought Mom's house, improved it, proceeds go to Clarence and the Thomas family, yet Mom continues to live in the improved house (presumably rent free).

Rich guy bought an old cannery in Thomas' home town for several million. Turning it into a museum that will prominently feature Thomas. Thomas arrives at the dedication by sailing into town on rich dude's 50 meter mega-yacht.

Donated $500k to Libby Thomas' lobbying firm, which funds were used to pay her salary.

Donated $??? dollars to build a graveyard 1,800 pound statute of Thomas' favorite nun in grade school. Thomas speaks at the dedication. Flies to the location on rich dude's private jet.

Donated $105k for a portrait of Thomas to be hung at Yale Law School. Flies Thomas up to New Haven to attend the dedication on rich dude's plane.

A $15k bust of Lincoln.

And then all the other plane flights, yacht trips, lux vacations that would cost Thomas millions if he and Ginni had to pay for it.

Super weird? Yup.

He is also a collector of Nazi memoaibilia. :oops:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ggait wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:27 pm It sure does appear impropriotous. Even if rich benefactor never asked directly for a vote.

Rich guy bought Mom's house, improved it, proceeds go to Clarence and the Thomas family, yet Mom continues to live in the improved house (presumably rent free). Supposed to become a Clarence Thomas museum.

A $15k bust of Lincoln.

Super weird? Yup.

Nice summary; thanks.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

A $15k bust of Lincoln.

Super weird? Yup.

There is no legal remedy outside of distain for this type of behavior. FTR has anybody in the MSM done a deep dive into ALL of the private dealings of 8 other SCOTUS members?
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:24 am

A $15k bust of Lincoln.

Super weird? Yup.

There is no legal remedy outside of distain for this type of behavior. FTR has anybody in the MSM done a deep dive into ALL of the private dealings of 8 other SCOTUS members?
One would think that some enterprising reporters are looking now.

Let's be clear, though, Thomas had the duty to report these "dealings" and did not do so. Thomas has had the duty recuse himself from any matters in which he had even the appearance of a conflict of interest and did not do so.

If there are others with such egregious ethical breaches, we should disdain them as well.

But I very much doubt we'll see anything remotely close. albeit I do think that at least some Justices regularly accept some "hospitality" from rich people...hopefully they do at least report such.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:59 am

A $15k bust of Lincoln.

Super weird? Yup.

Let's be clear, though, Thomas had the duty to report these "dealings" and did not do so. Thomas has had the duty recuse himself from any matters in which he had even the appearance of a conflict of interest and did not do so.

If there are others with such egregious ethical breaches, we should disdain them as well.

But I very much doubt we'll see anything remotely close. albeit I do think that at least some Justices regularly accept some "hospitality" from rich people...hopefully they do at least report such.
Thank you for correcting my bad spelling. I know you didn't intend to do so but my spell check does not do its job at times. I think what Thomas did was really hinky. He had no reason to hide the luxury vacations. Then again he advocated to being a simple, humble type guy who likes RVs and hanging out at Walmart. Maybe Clarence feels guilty? I do understand that Clarence could care less about bad publicity. Why should he?? I will repeat what I said earlier still tongue in cheek... Clarence can justify it as his own form of reparations. Should he ever choose that rationale to defend himself what exactly is the counter argument from the extreme left?
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:59 am

A $15k bust of Lincoln.

Super weird? Yup.

Thank you for correcting my bad spelling. I know you didn't intend to do so but my spell check does not do its job at times. I think what Thomas did was really hinky. He had no reason to hide the luxury vacations. Then again he advocated to being a simple, humble type guy who likes RVs and hanging out at Walmart. Maybe Clarence feels guilty? I do understand that Clarence could care less about bad publicity. Why should he?? I will repeat what I said earlier still tongue in cheek... Clarence can justify it as his own form of reparations.
First, my correction was simply that I agree with your point about disdain, not poking you about misspelling...spellcheck can miss.

Yes, I think Thomas knew what he was doing was "hinky" (spellcheck wanted that to spelled "kinky"), would look terrible if reported, perhaps then calling into question a need to recuse from cases where there was a conflict. He didn't want the conflict to be so obvious? Yes, I agree that he likely feels "guilty" about what he's been doing.

So, I don't agree that Thomas doesn't care about negative publicity...he certainly showed a lot of emotion about the Anita Hill accusations and that 'bad publicity'...which might have kept him off the Court...I think he's previously assumed that there actually could be consequences if the largesse from Crow, in all its detail, was made public. But that didn't stop him from accepting that largesse...it only stopped him from reporting it.

But now, with no consequences from the bad publicity, katy bar the door.
NOW, why should he care?

The question may be what the other conservative Justices think of him...does he care about their disdain?
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

My understanding is that some of the transportation "gifts" were actually illegal. But the punishment is a piddly fine.

As for the other conservative Justices? Most are probably thinking how they can get in on the action (if they're not already).
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Thomas will be forced out in the next 3-5 years. The democrats will keep the pressure on. He is an embarrassment to the bench, and everyone with an ethical bone in their body knows it. He will be what finally triggers federal bench term limits.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:18 pm Thomas will be forced out in the next 3-5 years.[/] The democrats will keep the pressure on. He is an embarrassment to the bench, and everyone with an ethical bone in their body knows it. He will be what finally triggers federal bench term limits.

And good news. Since stare decisis is dead, the Court can flip-flop like a dying fish.

Big business should love that shite…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Return to “POLITICS”