Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Matnum PI

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Matnum PI »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 am So let's never, ever say again that Indians are good lacrosse players because that's racist stereotyping.
agreed.

(just out of curiosity, hick, you understand that innumerable native americans don't play lacrosse, right?)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am And therein lies the problem. Who is interpreting the statement and why? Any nuance and/or context is immediately ignored by people like Matnum PI and doc, who seem to be following some, IMO, dangerous new religion based on a desire to control/interpret language, in order to shut down speech, and/or grab some moral high ground and power. When a large portion of society starts to adopt this religion (it's happening folks), people will begin not trusting each other and will fear to honestly express themselves for fear of losing their jobs or being physically beaten, i.e.
Tech, what's being discussed isn't new. It's been around for multiple decades. It's just new to you.
See what you just did? Instead of commenting on the specific content (nuance) of my post, you shut it down. IMO, you're a very scary person.

What does whether it's new or not have to do with anything? And you're wrong, what's new is this movement, your religion, is permeating all our institutions (not just college campuses) and is going mainstream.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am
hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am Observation isn't racist. Stereotyping is racist. The NBA could be 99% black and "blacks are good basketball players" still wouldn't be true. The NBA has a high percentage of black basketball players would be true.
So if an Icelander leaves his first NBA experience (game) and says, "Boy, blacks are very good basketball players.", that's a racist statement?

A high percentage of blacks, or very high percentage?

Norwegians are good skiers.
Racist, stereotyping, or just true?

Too many are too quick to holler racist and stereotyping when that just isn't true, IMO.
They aren’t good basketball players because they are black. Those kids are good because it’s what they spend time on. The skiers from Scandinavia are good not because they are white, they are good because it’s what they spend time on. South American soccer players are not good because they are Latino, they are good because it’s what they spend time on.

The statement isn’t racist. It’s a stereotype. The two things are not the same but can be conflated.
And therein lies the problem. Who is interpreting the statement and why? Any nuance and/or context is immediately ignored by people like Matnum PI and doc, who seem to be following some, IMO, dangerous new religion based on a desire to control/interpret language, in order to shut down speech, and/or grab some moral high ground and power. When a large portion of society starts to adopt this religion (it's happening folks), people will begin not trusting each other and will fear to honestly express themselves for fear of losing their jobs or being physically beaten, i.e.
If you guys REALLY want to discuss this? Ok.

Statement: Norwegians are good skiers.

This statement is demonstrably false. Start there. Start right there.

You're giving Matnum grief for calling out a statement as false. Can you explain why it is you feel the need to defend this incorrect, logical car crash of a statement?

No, Norwegians are NOT good skiers. Do I honestly need to walk you guys through the logically fallacy here?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 amWhat does whether it's new or not have to do with anything? And you're wrong, what's new is this movement, your religion, is permeating all our institutions (not just college campuses) and is going mainstream.
What's new is that bigotry is being confronted in a real way. In a way that few Americans have seen in their lifetime. And, take from this what want, this bothers you.
Caddy Day
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:45 am
hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 am So let's never, ever say again that Indians are good lacrosse players because that's racist stereotyping.
agreed.

(just out of curiosity, hick, you understand that innumerable native americans don't play lacrosse, right?)
You sell me very short, Mantum.
In these parts I'll continue saying Indians are good lacrosse players (I just said that to one yesterday and he just smiled and said, yup..kid worked at Walmart, hadn't ever seen him before) and the people here will agree and not consider it racist despite how you view it. Actually, they'll find it complimentary.
If you lived in these parts you might realize just how ridiculous what you're saying is.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am Observation isn't racist. Stereotyping is racist. The NBA could be 99% black and "blacks are good basketball players" still wouldn't be true. The NBA has a high percentage of black basketball players would be true.
So if an Icelander leaves his first NBA experience (game) and says, "Boy, blacks are very good basketball players.", that's a racist statement?

Too many are too quick to holler racist and stereotyping when that just isn't true, IMO.
They aren’t good basketball players because they are black. Those kids are good because it’s what they spend time on. The skiers from Scandinavia are good not because they are white, they are good because it’s what they spend time on. South American soccer players are not good because they are Latino, they are good because it’s what they spend time on.

The statement isn’t racist. It’s a stereotype. The two things are not the same but can be conflated.
And therein lies the problem. Who is interpreting the statement and why? Any nuance and/or context is immediately ignored by people like Matnum PI and doc, who seem to be following some, IMO, dangerous new religion based on a desire to control/interpret language, in order to shut down speech, and/or grab some moral high ground and power. When a large portion of society starts to adopt this religion (it's happening folks), people will begin not trusting each other and will fear to honestly express themselves for fear of losing their jobs or being physically beaten, i.e.

You're giving Matnum grief for calling out a statement as false. Can you explain why it is you feel the need to defend this incorrect, logical car crash of a statement?

No, Norwegians are NOT good skiers. Do I honestly need to walk you guys through the logically fallacy here?
Painfully, some of our posters represent a large segment of Americans, who are woefully "dense" on this topic.

Some really may not have the intellectual capability, the training in critical thinking, to really understand. But only some.

Some may actually not have the psychological capacity for empathy. But only some.

Others, and I suspect this is the best fit explanation for most, feel threatened by the necessity to self-challenge long held assumptions. They struggle with the concept of needing to choose to be self-critical, the necessity to forgive oneself for past transgressions...it's scary to admit one has been part of evil, even unknowingly or unwittingly so, and even worse when we know we've actually had a clue, but just didn't prioritize grappling with it before.
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

Yes, a fan, walk me through that statement, please.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 am
agreed.

In these parts I'll continue saying Indians are good lacrosse players (I just said that to one yesterday and he just smiled and said, yup..kid worked at Walmart, hadn't ever seen him before) and the people here will agree and not consider it racist despite how you view it. Actually, they'll find it complimentary.
If you lived in these parts you might realize just how ridiculous what you're saying is.
And black folks like being told they're good basketball players and good musicians and good dancers...but stay in your lanes, keep dribbling, get off your knee
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 am
agreed.

Walk into you office and tell one of your Jewish co-workers that they sure are good with money....let me know how that goes over. Not a buddy that will give you a pass but someone you don’t know, other than being Jewish.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:01 pm Yes, a fan, walk me through that statement, please.
I will start, using the skiing that Norway is known for - a majority of Norwegians do not regularly cross country ski. I doubt they would be considered good skiers.

From Quora:
According to the 2017 Norwegian EU-SILC numbers, 23% of Norwegian adults report having gone on a cross country ski'd over considerable distance in the last 12 months, while 34% report a shorter distance.Dec 29, 2018
And of those who do, it is not likely that all of them are what would be termed good skiers.

How is that for a start.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am And therein lies the problem. Who is interpreting the statement and why? Any nuance and/or context is immediately ignored by people like Matnum PI and doc, who seem to be following some, IMO, dangerous new religion based on a desire to control/interpret language, in order to shut down speech, and/or grab some moral high ground and power. When a large portion of society starts to adopt this religion (it's happening folks), people will begin not trusting each other and will fear to honestly express themselves for fear of losing their jobs or being physically beaten, i.e.
Tech, what's being discussed isn't new. It's been around for multiple decades. It's just new to you.
See what you just did? Instead of commenting on the specific content (nuance) of my post, you shut it down. IMO, you're a very scary person.

What does whether it's new or not have to do with anything? And you're wrong, what's new is this movement, your religion, is permeating all our institutions (not just college campuses) and is going mainstream.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

And black folks like being told they're good basketball players and good musicians and good dancers...
just reading this makes me cringe...
i'm amazed that this is even a discussion...
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm
And black folks like being told they're good basketball players and good musicians and good dancers...
This is 2020....BTW, this is the best NBA prospect since LeBron James. I waited two years for him to get to the NBA....just ridiculous

EDIT: More than ridiculous...it’s ludicrous how good he is!

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

slovenia.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:19 pmslovenia.
I went to a game and saw this Slovenian guy play...man Slovenians are good basketball players.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

OMG. A fan you don't get my point. I was not condoning the statement. I was defending the person's right to say it honestly and not be victim of some blanket interpretation immediately applied (without considering context or nuance) and brand them "racist." Now, due to this new so-called sensitivity, that person could face what are in many cases, dire ramifications for exercising free speech and having that speech misinterpreted.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm

OMG. A fan you don't get my point. I was not condoning the statement. I was defending the person's right to say it honestly and not be victim of some blanket interpretation immediately applied (without considering context or nuance) that brand them "racist." Now, due to this new so-called sensitivity, that person could face what are in many cases, dire ramifications for exercising free speech and having that speech misinterpreted.
Nobody said the guy was racist. What was said was that the statement was a racist stereotype. Sometimes things are said out of ignorance. You would hope when corrected, the guy would say, “oh I see how that can be taken as a stereotype”. But you would rather argue about such a low bar.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm
Indeed.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:28 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm

OMG. A fan you don't get my point. I was not condoning the statement. I was defending the person's right to say it honestly and not be victim of some blanket interpretation immediately applied (without considering context or nuance) that brand them "racist." Now, due to this new so-called sensitivity, that person could face what are in many cases, dire ramifications for exercising free speech and having that speech misinterpreted.
Nobody said the guy was racist. What was said was that the statement was a racist stereotype. Sometimes things are said out of ignorance. You would hope when corrected, the guy would say, “oh I see how that can be taken as a stereotype”. But you would rather argue about such a low bar.
:roll: Again, I'm not specifically referring to the statement. I'm referring to where this, as Matnum PI says, "bigotry being confronted in a real way," (obviously his opinion) can lead and revoke free speech.
Last edited by tech37 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The Left is so politically dependent on one of the greatest mass libels in history—namely, that America is a racist country. It isn't. Really, only Dems are because they indeed need blacks to (as MD says) 'stay in their lane'...this is the only way the Dem party survives.

How badly do Dems wish that Jussie Smollett hd not faked the “racist” attack on him. Democrats so badly wished Smollett had been attacked by white racist homophobes. Except he wasn't.

How badly do Dems wish a bunch of white Duke lacrosse players raped an 'innocent' black stripper called Crystal Mangum? They didn't care about the kids or the stripper (think any of the Fanlax lefties here ever visit Crystal in prison where she's serving time for murder?).

It's all a total charade and you can read today's posts to see just how corrupt their thought is today. They are the modern book burners, re-education camp totalitarians, and anti-American birdbrains that you should mock ruthlessly, rarely engage with sincerity...they aren't sincere, why would you give them that courtesy?
Last edited by Peter Brown on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “POLITICS”