Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
RedFromMI

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by RedFromMI »

Opinion: Andrew Cuomo, a longtime political bully, is receiving his comeuppance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... meuppance/
Opinion by
Helaine Olen
Columnist
March 2, 2021 at 8:06 a.m. EST

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is in increasing political trouble. A second accusation of sexual harassment against him emerged this past weekend, and instead of denying it, he apologized, and claimed a misunderstanding. “I never intended to make anyone feel uncomfortable,” Cuomo said in a statement.

Andrew Cuomo didn’t intend to make anyone “feel uncomfortable?” Cuomo’s words would be hilariously funny if the subject weren’t so serious.

As John Oliver says, Cuomo is “famously unpleasant.” While Americans thrilled to the Democratic governor’s heartwarming performance as a caring person in his nationally televised covid-19 news conferences last year, New York political insiders knew better. Much of his political power rests on his ability to keep people on edge and make them scared of crossing him.

Cuomo governs in a take-no-prisoners, control-freak style. For the past decade, the governor has bullied and threatened Democrats and Republicans alike, not to mention political appointees. When a political commission studying state corruption appeared to come too close to Cuomo’s inner circle, he shut it down. He threatened to put the progressive Working Families Party out of business if they ran a candidate against him in 2018. He denied it when called out on it in public, but that didn’t stop him from trying it.

Cuomo’s feud with Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) is a Punch and Judy show, with Cuomo doing the vast amount of punching, undercutting the semi-hapless New York mayor at any opportunity. He repeatedly publicly humiliated well-loved New York City Transit President Andy Byford until he quit. “The job had become somewhat intolerable,” Byford told CBS News.

Hubris, in recent years, often overwhelmed Cuomo’s instinctive political smarts. His comments could border on the offensive and then some. He once told a group of legislators including State Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins that they only understood the concerns of New York City voters. Stewart-Cousins is Black — and represents suburban Westchester County. “You see my Black skin and a woman, but you don’t realize I am a suburban legislator,” she replied. And last year, he blamed people who came down with covid-19 for — well, getting covid-19. “If you socially distanced and you wore a mask and you were smart, none of this would be a problem. It’s all self-imposed. If you didn’t eat the cheesecake, you wouldn’t have a weight problem.”

In fact, Cuomo’s covid-19 news conferences were television-news-enabled fraud. While the governor played the role of a tough-talking paterfamilias successfully combating a dread disease, the state actually suffered the second-highest per capita death rate from covid-19 in the United States.

People fell for it not only because Americans have a weakness for performative bullies (See: Trump, Donald), and in part because the Trump administration couldn’t even fake a competent response to the pandemic, but also because the Cuomo administration cooked the books, seemingly to hide the state’s incompetent performance.

In late March of last year, Cuomo’s health department ordered nursing homes to take in patients recovering from the disease, something that is now thought to have contributed to the state’s high death toll. New York continued to count nursing home patients who died at a hospital as hospital patients, something most other states did not.

Eventually the truth came out, as it usually does. A top Cuomo aide tried to claim the administration hid the numbers because they believed Trump would use them for political gain. But when Queens Assemblyman Ron Kim — whose uncle died of covid-19 in a nursing home — went on the offensive, Cuomo accused him of “pay to play” corruption at a news conference and, according to Kim, called him up and said he could “destroy” him. No doubt he thought Kim would fall in line, as so many have in the past. Instead, Kim went public.

And then the sexual harassment charges emerged or — I should say, they came back. Former Cuomo aide Lindsey Boylan, now running for Manhattan borough president, made her first allegations last year, and was mostly ignored. But she stepped forward last week with more details. Then a second former staffer, Charlotte Bennett, accused him last weekend. Then on Monday evening, the New York Times published an account by a third woman, Anna Ruch, who alleged inappropriate behavior by Cuomo toward her at a 2019 wedding reception they both attended.

Both New Yorkers and national political junkies are now collectively holding their breath, waiting for what comes next. Here’s a prediction: Whatever it is, it will likely come soon.

The knives are out. Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) called on him to resign Monday evening. Longtime nemesis de Blasio on Monday said he saw Cuomo be verbally “abusive” toward his staff, while calling the harassment charges “disgusting” and “creepy.” Everyone from Nancy Pelosi to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is calling for an investigation into the women’s allegations. So is the Biden administration. As Cuomo is now discovering, bullies have few real friends but many enemies. Once someone successfully challenges them, it can all come apart.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am Found the answer to my own question:

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-c ... ons-2021-3

Chris seems to have a very similar personality as Andrew. But the Fredo incident in the restaurant was quite telling.
I wonder why Fredo won't cover his own brother. " He's smaaaht, he can do things"
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 am Opinion: Andrew Cuomo, a longtime political bully, is receiving his comeuppance

Opinion by
Helaine Olen
Columnist

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is in increasing political trouble. A second accusation of sexual harassment against him emerged this past weekend, and instead of denying it, he apologized, and claimed a misunderstanding. “I never intended to make anyone feel uncomfortable,” Cuomo said in a statement.

Andrew Cuomo didn’t intend to make anyone “feel uncomfortable?” Cuomo’s words would be hilariously funny if the subject weren’t so serious.

As John Oliver says, Cuomo is “famously unpleasant.” While Americans thrilled to the Democratic governor’s heartwarming performance as a caring person in his nationally televised covid-19 news conferences last year, New York political insiders knew better. Much of his political power rests on his ability to keep people on edge and make them scared of crossing him.

Cuomo governs in a take-no-prisoners, control-freak style. For the past decade, the governor has bullied and threatened Democrats and Republicans alike, not to mention political appointees. When a political commission studying state corruption appeared to come too close to Cuomo’s inner circle, he shut it down. He threatened to put the progressive Working Families Party out of business if they ran a candidate against him in 2018. He denied it when called out on it in public, but that didn’t stop him from trying it.

Cuomo’s feud with Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) is a Punch and Judy show, with Cuomo doing the vast amount of punching, undercutting the semi-hapless New York mayor at any opportunity. He repeatedly publicly humiliated well-loved New York City Transit President Andy Byford until he quit. “The job had become somewhat intolerable,” Byford told CBS News.

Hubris, in recent years, often overwhelmed Cuomo’s instinctive political smarts. His comments could border on the offensive and then some. He once told a group of legislators including State Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins that they only understood the concerns of New York City voters. Stewart-Cousins is Black — and represents suburban Westchester County. “You see my Black skin and a woman, but you don’t realize I am a suburban legislator,” she replied. And last year, he blamed people who came down with covid-19 for — well, getting covid-19. “If you socially distanced and you wore a mask and you were smart, none of this would be a problem. It’s all self-imposed. If you didn’t eat the cheesecake, you wouldn’t have a weight problem.”

In fact, Cuomo’s covid-19 news conferences were television-news-enabled fraud. While the governor played the role of a tough-talking paterfamilias successfully combating a dread disease, the state actually suffered the second-highest per capita death rate from covid-19 in the United States.

People fell for it not only because Americans have a weakness for performative bullies (See: Trump, Donald), and in part because the Trump administration couldn’t even fake a competent response to the pandemic, but also because the Cuomo administration cooked the books, seemingly to hide the state’s incompetent performance.

In late March of last year, Cuomo’s health department ordered nursing homes to take in patients recovering from the disease, something that is now thought to have contributed to the state’s high death toll. New York continued to count nursing home patients who died at a hospital as hospital patients, something most other states did not.

Eventually the truth came out, as it usually does. A top Cuomo aide tried to claim the administration hid the numbers because they believed Trump would use them for political gain. But when Queens Assemblyman Ron Kim — whose uncle died of covid-19 in a nursing home — went on the offensive, Cuomo accused him of “pay to play” corruption at a news conference and, according to Kim, called him up and said he could “destroy” him. No doubt he thought Kim would fall in line, as so many have in the past. Instead, Kim went public.

And then the sexual harassment charges emerged or — I should say, they came back. Former Cuomo aide Lindsey Boylan, now running for Manhattan borough president, made her first allegations last year, and was mostly ignored. But she stepped forward last week with more details. Then a second former staffer, Charlotte Bennett, accused him last weekend. Then on Monday evening, the New York Times published an account by a third woman, Anna Ruch, who alleged inappropriate behavior by Cuomo toward her at a 2019 wedding reception they both attended.

Both New Yorkers and national political junkies are now collectively holding their breath, waiting for what comes next. Here’s a prediction: Whatever it is, it will likely come soon.

The knives are out. Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) called on him to resign Monday evening. Longtime nemesis de Blasio on Monday said he saw Cuomo be verbally “abusive” toward his staff, while calling the harassment charges “disgusting” and “creepy.” Everyone from Nancy Pelosi to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is calling for an investigation into the women’s allegations. So is the Biden administration. As Cuomo is now discovering, bullies have few real friends but many enemies. Once someone successfully challenges them, it can all come apart.
I'm surprised that Chuck Schumer has been as quiet as a church mouse about the king's problems. Senator Schumer is never at a loss for words about anything.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:18 pm Yes I just asked a friend who went there and it was Chris. Friends who went there are around 47-48.
Did they feel that way about Chris?
He doesn't seem to have the same sort of personality as his brother, but hard to know.
They both thought Chris was a douche. Had Andrew in my head. Basically they refer to the whole family as god complex, megalomaniacs. (one I worked with for around 6yr and another who was that guys best friend)

It is hard to know. Proof you never know: Bill Cosby
Big difference, Bill Cosby always portrayed a public persona of being a good guy. King Andy has always presented himself as an arrogant, condescending, self absorbed pile of excrement. I read somewhere back that when the king was walking anywhere with his peeps some kind soul in the group would always open the door for his majesty. They didn't want him to get germs on his precious little fingers. I hope that on his way out of the building he doesn't let the door hit him in the ass.
My comment was in response to MD regarding Chris, no t Andy at this point.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:18 pm Yes I just asked a friend who went there and it was Chris. Friends who went there are around 47-48.
He doesn't seem to have the same sort of personality as his brother, but hard to know.
They both thought Chris was a douche. Had Andrew in my head. Basically they refer to the whole family as god complex, megalomaniacs. (one I worked with for around 6yr and another who was that guys best friend)

Ironically, MD, the one guy and his brother have BC and Dartmouth covered between the two of them but in reverse of you. One is CEO of a bank in W NJ who went to Hamilton undergrad and Tuck MBA and the older brother went to BC (“Carroll” include undergrad?) and Vandy (Owen) for MBA. You were Dartmouth first, BC second correct?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:35 am
holmes435 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:18 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:20 am https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... cial-unde/

Even poor old Dr Suess has to face the wrath of the FLP movement. :roll:
If you want to read it straight from the horse's mouth, it's a lot more nuanced than the Washington Times thinks. They're not cancelling Dr. Seuss, they just want educators to talk about Dr. Seuss to their students when appropriate. Also, it's from two years ago :lol:

https://www.learningforjustice.org/maga ... t-dr-seuss

"If you’re thinking you need to burn your favorite copy of The Sneetches or The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, I’d really rather that you didn’t—we’re all about environmental safety here. If you’re thinking you need to have some important conversations with your students? You’re absolutely right."

I read Dr. Seuss to my kids all the time, he's done a lot of good, but the guy had some issues, including being a product of his time.

Also, who cancelled Mr. Potato Head? Hasbro is still selling Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head under the Potato head brand. Washington Times needs to get with the times.
Wow, those cartoons sure are a product of a different era. There were a bunch of those Looney Tune cartoons from the 50s that were very similar in how black people were portrayed. I also read my kids Dr Suess books when they were kids. I don't remember anything inappropriate in his books I read to my kids. Hard to understand how Suess devolved from a racist cartoon like that to writing the Butter Battle Book?
I’m sure you hate the music but go to YouTube and look up a JayZ video for a song he put out a few years back called The Story of OJ. Filled with these Disney and mainstream images and cartoon strips. Song uses yhe word that will make FattyLax’s head explode 17 times and he will lecture us all on how to think and call us all hypocrites for not thinking like and about what he wants and only what he wants like a good citizen of Massachusetts.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:53 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:47 pm I don’t care what her political aspirations are as long as she remains focused on job 1: putting T**** in jail.

After that, she can turn her attention to cradle’s best friend.
Even if she becomes the next governor of NYS, which I think she will, she relishes her opportunity to carve up the dumpster like a Thanksgiving turkey. With her it's personal.. and business, to paraphrase the dumpster.
In another life you would’ve been Jean Paul Marat and have helped create the Guillotine...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 am
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 am Opinion: Andrew Cuomo, a longtime political bully, is receiving his comeuppance

Opinion by
Helaine Olen
Columnist

I'm surprised that Chuck Schumer has been as quiet as a church mouse about the king's problems. Senator Schumer is never at a loss for words about anything.
Especially about someone from his home state.

But it's just the Republicans who play "party politics."

:lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 am
njbill wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:47 pm I don’t care what her political aspirations are as long as she remains focused on job 1: putting T**** in jail.

Even if she becomes the next governor of NYS, which I think she will, she relishes her opportunity to carve up the dumpster like a Thanksgiving turkey. With her it's personal.. and business, to paraphrase the dumpster.
In another life you would’ve been Jean Paul Marat and have helped create the Guillotine...
There are some folks on this forum who would probably think the Guillotine would not be severe enough punishment for dump. I think they prefer something more mideveil.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:50 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am Found the answer to my own question:

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-c ... ons-2021-3

Chris seems to have a very similar personality as Andrew. But the Fredo incident in the restaurant was quite telling.
I wonder why Fredo won't cover his own brother. " He's smaaaht, he can do things"
Personalities aside it’s the right thing to do, unlike in the pandemic where CNN allowed it
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

There are some folks on this forum who would probably think the Guillotine would not be severe enough punishment for dump. I think they prefer something more medieval.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:13 pm

There are some folks on this forum who would probably think the Guillotine would not be severe enough punishment for dump. I think they prefer something more mideveil.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Point is you like folks who go midevil on others regardless of party. That’s ok. Some people like vanilla, some like chocolate and some like neopolitan.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Point is you like folks who go midevil on others regardless of party. That’s ok. Some people like vanilla, some like chocolate and some like neopolitan.
I like and respect folks willing to hold people of either party accountable for their misdeeds. I believe when the people have elected you to office there needs to be a higher standard for that person to maintain.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s all kabuki theatre. You think this is the first time AC could’ve been jammed up? This moment just happened to work based on a confluence or events, shifts in power, changes in culture, etc. This is true of everyone caught and many not caught doing foul things. All of the sudden DiBlasio pipes up? Cuomo probably need to go buy a guy liek DiBlasio who kept quiet like a little biyach for years and was complicit should go too then. This is the theatre, when everyone piles on with their grievance after being quiet for so long. That’s not leadership either.

However...I’ve observed a number of “that guy on that side did it” which appears to be defense of one set of actions because another did it, over and over again in the very recent past. That didn’t sound like holding folks accountable at all. The raging against the name/title BLM and defending even the most Indefensible police act. The “well whatever he did Andrew Cuomo or Pelosi do bad stuff too” counterpoints whenever almost anyone threw up a issue or concern facing the other side. Doesn’t seem like equal treatment from observation even if that is your stated intent.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am

Ironically, MD, the one guy and his brother have BC and Dartmouth covered between the two of them but in reverse of you. One is CEO of a bank in W NJ who went to Hamilton undergrad and Tuck MBA and the older brother went to BC (“Carroll” include undergrad?) and Vandy (Owen) for MBA. You were Dartmouth first, BC second correct?
Correct, I had intended to do a JD-MBA, but decided to not go on with the JD idea. The closest I got to the undergrads at Carroll was grading papers for the undergrad Business Policy course. Yikes, some terrible writing! I enjoyed the B-school, was able to do the 2nd year at night while working full time at Alex Brown. Wife was going to HBS the same two years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting….

Minimum wage
Costco: $16
Walmart: $11

Average pay
Costco: $24
Walmart: $15

Employees on food stamps (subsidized by you)
Costco: Virtually none
Walmart: More than any other company

Founder net worth
Costco: not a billionaire
Walmart: over $220 billion; up $30 billion in pandemic

Costco and Walmart have the same low prices. So you when you hear "raising the minimum wage will just result in higher prices or layoffs," remember that's not basic business. It's corporations making a choice: pay more or give shareholders billions more.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:02 am Interesting….

Minimum wage
Costco: $16
Walmart: $11

Average pay
Costco: $24
Walmart: $15

Employees on food stamps (subsidized by you)
Costco: Virtually none
Walmart: More than any other company

Founder net worth
Costco: not a billionaire
Walmart: over $220 billion; up $30 billion in pandemic

Costco and Walmart have the same low prices. So you when you hear "raising the minimum wage will just result in higher prices or layoffs," remember that's not basic business. It's corporations making a choice: pay more or give shareholders billions more.
Well done.

Costco shows how to get it done. It’s why I’ve been a well rewarded stockholder since 2014 and a satisfied member since 2018. As opposed to Walmart which seems to be geared to keeping the Waltons the wealthiest family in the world.

This week, Costco plans to raise the starting wage to $16 an hour for U.S. workers. The decision was first revealed by Costco CEO Craig Jelinek in testimony to the U.S. Senate Budget Committee last week. Costco raised its starting pay to $15 an hour in 2019. More than half of Costco's hourly workers in the U.S. are paid above $25, Jelinek said.

"The more people make, the better lives they're going to have and the better consumers they're going to be," co-founder Sinegal told The Washington Post in 2007 in a rare interview. "It's going to provide better jobs and better wages."

Return to “POLITICS”