Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:42 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:17 am Humans ability to become habituated to almost any “reality” is a adaptive “survival” trait.

Think of the risks you take on a daily basis without any consideration or concern.

Re children’s perception, my children find the absurdity of 2A “rights” and the obvious cost vis a vis “pursuit of happiness” as more evidence of adult mental deficiency.

We old-timers had better pray to dog the process of co-option works or the retribution will make being warehoused in a soul-crushing “old-folks” home look like a walk in the park.

Perhaps a discussion of this phenomenon could bring some clarity to the other political/sociological topics discussed here.
I've gotta wonder about their habituation, absurdity meters, and cost vis a vis "pursuit of happiness" metrics they feel about other adaptive realities in the USA. In terms of survival, it's a jungle out there.

TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,500 reported cases of Aggravated Assault were filed. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 550,000 filed cases, with FBI estimating the actual figure is much higher, as approximately 40% of cases go unreported. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,700 home invasions with victim (owner/renter/guest) present inside home. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 627,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,100 women were raped or sexually assaulted. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 400,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 110 men and boys were raped or sexually assaulted. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 40,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 20,000 calls were placed to domestic violence hotlines. ANNUAL Figures: > 7,000,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,000 children went missing. And approximately 300 children ages 4-15 became sexually trafficked (sexual slavery). ANNUAL FIGURES: 365,000 missing & 109,000 sexually trafficked. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 37* people were killed in drunk driving criminal violence incidents (aka “vehicular crashes”). Of these deaths caused by the criminal actions of the drunk drivers, approximately 14 were innocent vehicular homicide victims: pedestrians, motorists, passengers. ANNUAL FIGURES: 13,505* drunk driving deaths. 5,130 innocent victims. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 190 died of illegal Fentanyl overdoses (out of the 273 total overdose deaths today) supplied by criminal drug activity. ANNUAL FIGURES: 100,000 overdose deaths, 85% from illegal drugs, and 70% of that total from illegal Fentanyl. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 385 died of alcohol poisoning and alcohol related factors. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately140,000 deaths due to alcohol poisoning and alcohol related factors. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,250 died of smoking related causes. Of these deaths, approximately 112 (including at least one infant 18 months or younger) were non-smoker victims of second hand smoke. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 41,000 deaths due to second hand smoke, including 400 infants. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 685 died from medical malpractice errors. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 250,000 deaths. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 350 died from prescription medications used as directed. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 128,000 deaths.

TODAY IN THE USA: I left out all criminal gun murder as we've parsed that to death here and all that seems to matter to the majority of folks here is the "black swan event black gun scorecard" slice of the gun murder pizza. Not much of a slice, actually. More of a small nibble compared to the other exponentially heartier slices of the pizza.

LAST YEAR IN THE USA: 105 deaths were caused by Mass/Active Shooter Incidents, according to the FBI’s recently released 2023 Mass/Active Shooter Incident Report. 75% of incidents were handguns. 25% of incidents were rifles.

Seems like there's plenty of additional nightmare inducing reality horrors which could register on your children's perception-o-meters besides "the absurdity of 2A 'rights' ". Thank goodness we all still have 1A "rights". :roll:

Okay, we can all head back to our regularly scheduled biased echo chambers.
My first encounter with guns was when I was in the Kindergarten and a friend’s drunk father was tussling with his teenage daughter and his pistol went off….lucky nobody was killed. I was sitting next to them on the couch. I ran as soon as his drunk ass turned his back. The second was in the 4th grade when a 8th student shot his older brother in the head with a shotgun on the sidewalk in front of their house. You should see brain matter up close. Then in the 6th grade my sister’s 7th grade classmate didn’t show up for school…turned out he was tired of his father beating him so he shot him and killed him. That’s was just the beginning for me.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:42 pm Seems like there's plenty of additional nightmare inducing reality horrors which could register on your children's perception-o-meters besides "the absurdity of 2A 'rights' ". Thank goodness we all still have 1A "rights". :roll:

This sleight of hand works in your mind, doesn't it?

Dude, have you read one single word from your fellow posters? No one here wants to take your guns away. You're a boomer, right? The odds that ANY legislation will be passed that take even one of your guns away in your lifetime is a big fat zero. You won.

Why does this take up so much of your mindshare? You'd be better off worrying about the sun collapsing while you're alive than lose even one bullet you have. Relax, you're good.

But I love that you're on here acting like were insane if we want to find ways to prevent school shooting from happening. What are we thinking? We should do nothing, and let you complain that if we even think about doing something, we're in an "echo chamber".

My solutions have NOTHING to do with guns, and I've said as much several times. Yet you're on here, mocking any discussion on the subject, and yelling at us about how we have to keep an open mind, and look at facts. You're making ZERO sense, my man.

And by all means, run away from my comments again because you're yet another old guy (i'm old, too) who doesn't REALLY want to hear anyone else's opinion, yet claims he does. What YOU want is for everyone to agree with you....which is why you claime 'we're the problem" if we dare to have different ideas from yours.

Enjoy your weekend.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:08 pm
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:42 pm Seems like there's plenty of additional nightmare inducing reality horrors which could register on your children's perception-o-meters besides "the absurdity of 2A 'rights' ". Thank goodness we all still have 1A "rights". :roll:

This sleight of hand works in your mind, doesn't it?

Dude, have you read one single word from your fellow posters? No one here wants to take your guns away. You're a boomer, right? The odds that ANY legislation will be passed that take even one of your guns away in your lifetime is a big fat zero. You won.

Why does this take up so much of your mindshare? You'd be better off worrying about the sun collapsing while you're alive than lose even one bullet you have. Relax, you're good.

But I love that you're on here acting like were insane if we want to find ways to prevent school shooting from happening. What are we thinking? We should do nothing, and let you complain that if we even think about doing something, we're in an "echo chamber".

My solutions have NOTHING to do with guns, and I've said as much several times. Yet you're on here, mocking any discussion on the subject, and yelling at us about how we have to keep an open mind, and look at facts. You're making ZERO sense, my man.

And by all means, run away from my comments again because you're yet another old guy (i'm old, too) who doesn't REALLY want to hear anyone else's opinion, yet claims he does. What YOU want is for everyone to agree with you....which is why you claime 'we're the problem" if we dare to have different ideas from yours.

Enjoy your weekend.
You assume much and know little when it comes to my sharing here regarding school shooting prevention. When did I say "you're the problem", dude? Mocking? Where? Is that what asking questions, offering opinions, or alternate viewpoints is these days? Yelling? Where? Does a few capitalized words for emphasis qualify as a rant? Talk about making ZERO sense. The extrapolations fine folks come up with here, from false dichotomy to strawman to ad hominem is impressive. And the echo chamber I mentioned included my own.

We actually all do agree that these shootings are horrific. But anyone here who dares not jump on board with what appears to be a single solution narrative compliance gets painted into a corner with allegations of extremism and words put into their mouths. Like you've done here.

I'm one of few persons here who seem willing to entertain possibilities other than regurgitating lockstep narratives calling for AWB's every time a horrific event occurs. I've repeatedly chimed in and pointed out the availability of "expert vetted and developed" early warning signs "offramp/intervention" opportunity playbook toolkit which is habitually NOT deployed in these terrible events, and get responded to here with derision or like I'm growing a leg out of my ear. The Georgia event recently - boom - another offramp/intervention grab bag of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" missed opportunities.

Whatever. No worries. I had a few minutes and jumped into the fray. Something that feels less and less interesting the more time I spend around here. I must be the problem. Dude.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
a fan

Post by a fan »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:42 pm You assume much and know little when it comes to my sharing here regarding school shooting prevention. When did I say "you're the problem", dude? Mocking? Where?
Great. Another poster who doesn't read his own posts. Dude....take five minutes and read what YOU wrote in your last several posts. Tell me you're not mocking other posters. Does "echo chamber" sound like compliment to you?
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:42 pm The extrapolations fine folks come up with here, from false dichotomy to strawman to ad hominem is impressive. And the echo chamber I mentioned included my own.
Oh I"m paying attention just fine to your words. You have set up your own strawmen multiple times....where you think that pulling the boilerplate "whataboutothershootingsinChicago" we get from the right when the current discussion is about schools.

As for "echo chamber included my own"? Write more clearly next time, instead of asking us to read your mind. Miscommunication happen here....I often write less clearly than I think I'm writing....but don't hold others accountable for your lack of clarity. It's a frequent issue with stubborn posters here: if we guess wrong as to your intent, they IMMEDIATELY think it's "other poster's problem", rather than a failure to transfer what's in your mind to the written word.
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:42 pm We actually all do agree that these shootings are horrific.
That's great that you're telling us this now...but again, we're not mind readers. How am I supposed to glean this from your last post-Georgia-shooting post? Look for yourself, and tell me how I'm supposed to conclude that from your post.
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:42 pm But anyone here who dares not jump on board with what appears to be a single solution narrative compliance gets painted into a corner with allegations of extremism and words put into their mouths. Like you've done here.
:lol: You are now putting words in MY mouth, right after I told you DIRECTLY that my solution(s) to reducing shootings have NOTHING to do with guns...your "single solution narrative" does NOT apply to me. Maybe stop throwing stones in your glass house.
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:42 pm I'm one of few persons here who seem willing to entertain possibilities other than regurgitating lockstep narratives calling for AWB's every time a horrific event occurs. I've repeatedly chimed in and pointed out the availability of "expert vetted and developed" early warning signs toolkit which is habitually NOT deployed in the "offramp/intervention" opportunity playbook, and get responded to here with derision or like I'm growing a leg out of my ear. The Georgia event recently - boom - another offramp/intervention grab bag of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" missed opportunities.
Current laws keep us from arresting someone or institutionalizing for something they MIGHT do them nearly impossible, which is why the FBI didn't arrest him on the spot. Surely you understand that?
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:42 pm Whatever. No worries. I had a few minutes and jumped into the fray. Something that feels less and less interesting around here. I must be the problem. Dude.
Yes. You're part of the problem....and so am I at times. Miscommunications happen. You're a big boy, this shouldn't be an issue unless your ego is so big you can't handle it when you're wrong...as we all are sometimes. Yes, that includes me, especially.

Like I said, you're saying it's "less interesting" simply because some here disagree with you. Welcome to actual, honest discussion.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:17 am Humans ability to become habituated to almost any “reality” is a adaptive “survival” trait.

Think of the risks you take on a daily basis without any consideration or concern.

Re children’s perception, my children find the absurdity of 2A “rights” and the obvious cost vis a vis “pursuit of happiness” as more evidence of adult mental deficiency.

We old-timers had better pray to dog the process of co-option works or the retribution will make being warehoused in a soul-crushing “old-folks” home look like a walk in the park.

Perhaps a discussion of this phenomenon could bring some clarity to the other political/sociological topics discussed here.
I've gotta wonder about their habituation, absurdity meters, and cost vis a vis "pursuit of happiness" metrics they feel about other adaptive realities in the USA. In terms of survival, it's a jungle out there.

TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,500 reported cases of Aggravated Assault were filed. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 550,000 filed cases, with FBI estimating the actual figure is much higher, as approximately 40% of cases go unreported. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,700 home invasions with victim (owner/renter/guest) present inside home. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 627,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,100 women were raped or sexually assaulted. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 400,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 110 men and boys were raped or sexually assaulted. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 40,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 20,000 calls were placed to domestic violence hotlines. ANNUAL Figures: > 7,000,000. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,000 children went missing. And approximately 300 children ages 4-15 became sexually trafficked (sexual slavery). ANNUAL FIGURES: 365,000 missing & 109,000 sexually trafficked. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 37* people were killed in drunk driving criminal violence incidents (aka “vehicular crashes”). Of these deaths caused by the criminal actions of the drunk drivers, approximately 14 were innocent vehicular homicide victims: pedestrians, motorists, passengers. ANNUAL FIGURES: 13,505* drunk driving deaths. 5,130 innocent victims. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 190 died of illegal Fentanyl overdoses (out of the 273 total overdose deaths today) supplied by criminal drug activity. ANNUAL FIGURES: 100,000 overdose deaths, 85% from illegal drugs, and 70% of that total from illegal Fentanyl. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 385 died of alcohol poisoning and alcohol related factors. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately140,000 deaths due to alcohol poisoning and alcohol related factors. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 1,250 died of smoking related causes. Of these deaths, approximately 112 (including at least one infant 18 months or younger) were non-smoker victims of second hand smoke. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 41,000 deaths due to second hand smoke, including 400 infants. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 685 died from medical malpractice errors. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 250,000 deaths. TODAY IN THE USA: Approximately 350 died from prescription medications used as directed. ANNUAL FIGURES: Approximately 128,000 deaths.

TODAY IN THE USA: I left out all criminal gun murder as we've parsed that to death here and all that seems to matter to the majority of folks here is the "black swan event black gun scorecard" slice of the gun murder pizza. Not much of a slice, actually. More of a small nibble compared to the other exponentially heartier slices of the pizza.

LAST YEAR IN THE USA: 105 deaths were caused by Mass/Active Shooter Incidents, according to the FBI’s recently released 2023 Mass/Active Shooter Incident Report. 75% of incidents were handguns. 25% of incidents were rifles.

Seems like there's plenty of additional nightmare inducing reality horrors which could register on your children's perception-o-meters besides "the absurdity of 2A 'rights' ". Thank goodness we all still have 1A "rights". :roll:

Sure, let’s talk 1A. What do you think it means?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Would be funnier if tons of illegal guns weren't out there because of this.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:52 pm

:D
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:50 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:52 pm

:D
... someone made the point that no one wants to confiscate "all your guns". To me there seems to be a consensus that the vast majority of Americans have reached, although the right-wing politicians are still fighting against -- reasonable regulation in the form of universal background checks, age restrictions for some guns, etc., but no general ban or confiscation. I am less certain that something more draconian won't be demanded -- this will likely depend on whether those who oppose the more reasonable regulations accept those. The anti-gun lobby will only grow in strength.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/colorado/ne ... y-charged/

This is the type or stuff that guys who are fervent supporters of 2A don’t mind seeing.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Don’t forget Tupac in 2a wrote a whole love song to his fun in metaphorical for

https://youtu.be/dFuF8sWTRCY?si=8EOTHsmNUbUcrSz1
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:17 pm https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/colorado/ne ... y-charged/

This is the type or stuff that guys who are fervent supporters of 2A don’t mind seeing.
News flash there Jethro, people who support the 2nd amendment don't support shooting innocent people. They also don't support the wanton slaughter that occurs every day and night in urban America. Too bad you don't feel the same way. Illegal weapons don't bother a guy like you all that much.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:32 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:17 pm https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/colorado/ne ... y-charged/

News flash there Jethro, people who support the 2nd amendment don't support shooting innocent people. They also don't support the wanton slaughter that occurs every day and night in urban America. Too bad you don't feel the same way. Illegal weapons don't bother a guy like you all that much.
:roll:
... bullsh*t there dipsh*t!!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”