Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:31 pm It was friendly banter. But now the horse is dead, buried, and decomposing.
Ok, you're right. So that makes twice. My bad.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:07 pm Petro had to go but this is still a rough day.

Paul Rabil
imagine being 16 and getting a call from petro and gait...i would’ve been SHOOK

@KyleHarrison18
WHEW. Iont like the color Orange like that, but if I got this call as a high schooler I’m pullin up.
For a 16 year-old today, that wlll be like saying "check out my cool MySpace page".
HomewoodHomer

Post by HomewoodHomer »

l
Last edited by HomewoodHomer on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HomewoodHomer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:58 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:40 pm
HomewoodHomer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:30 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:34 pmpuke
I am beginning to think Petro stole your girlfriend or stole your lunch money. Don't worry, they'll be plenty more to despise of him when his team rolls over yours.
Lol aren't you the "no one wants to go to Hopkins now because of the Freddie Gray riots" guy?

News flash: Cuse already rolled over Hopkins in 2020 when Petro was still the coach. If his team didn't get absolutely obliterated in that game then, who knows, maybe he'd still be coaching at Homewood. If Cuse "rolls over" Hopkins again next year (based on how each team looked by the end of this season, not sure I'd bet on that, but I digress) then what would that say about the team he left for the new staff?

I've defended Petro a lot over the years—others who have been here a long time can attest to that. I'm allowed to be nauseated by the fact that he will now be wearing orange on the sidelines. It's unsettling.

"HomewoodHomer"—you don't sound like much of a homer. I wish Petro well on a personal level. But my ultimate allegiance is to the program, not to an individual coach.
How is it Petro's players when they lose and Milliman's team when they win? Didn't PM get all the credit for his Cornell wins even though he was only the head coach for 3 years.
I don't recall who gave PM credit for what at Cornell, but he helped recruit the vast majority of those players, including Teat. And he was the head coach when a lot of the players on that undefeated 2020 team committed.

My point is we've already seen Cuse roll over Hopkins recently. If they do it again, it's not saying very much. That said, at least so far, Milliman's Hopkins team doesn't roll over all that easily.
HomewoodHomer

Post by HomewoodHomer »

l
Last edited by HomewoodHomer on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HomewoodHomer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:14 pm 4-9 for the Blue Jays this year. Will you love them as much when they are DIII? Time will certainly tell...as it always does.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:00 pm
HomewoodHomer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:14 pm 4-9 for the Blue Jays this year. Will you love them as much when they are DIII? Time will certainly tell...as it always does.
no top 10 team goes d111.
HomewoodHomer

Post by HomewoodHomer »

l
Last edited by HomewoodHomer on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

All those Cornell kids went to Cornell because they saw PM play no doubt. I wouldn’t give him too much credit with the upper class players considering when they made their decisions
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:05 am All those Cornell kids went to Cornell because they saw PM play no doubt. I wouldn’t give him too much credit with the upper class players considering when they made their decisions
PM led recruiting efforts at Cornell when he was an assistant.

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... liman/3110
• As the program’s recruiting coordinator, Milliman secured Jeff Teat ’20, the Big Red's first-ever Inside Lacrosse No. 1 recruit.
• Prior to bringing Teat to East Hill, Milliman recruited the 15-member class of 2019, which consisted of six US Lacrosse All-Americans, the most to join the program since the 2009 season.
• Milliman was responsible for recruiting two of the three highest scoring freshmen classes (2016, 2017) in program history.
Maybe the Cornell website is making it up?

Assistants do a lot of recruiting. Some more than others.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Anybody want to take a stab at next year's schedule?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:48 am Anybody want to take a stab at next year's schedule?
Apparently there is a guy on here that thinks it will be:
February 27th - @ UVA
March 5th - @ Washington College
March 19th - @ Dickson
March 26th - v. Usinsus
April 2nd - v. Gettysburg
April 9th - @ F&M
April 16th - v. Muhlenberg (Homecoming)
April 23rd - @ McDaniel
April 30th - Centennial Conference 1st round game v. McDaniel
May 5th - Centennial Conference Semifinals v. Muhlenberg
May 7th - Centennial Conference Championship Game v. F&M
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:48 am Anybody want to take a stab at next year's schedule?
Had 2020 been a normal year I think we'd have still seen Loyola, Princeton, Syracuse, and Navy. The other non-con games (UNC, Delaware, Mount St. Mary's) may have been subject to swapping. Not sure about Towson. Hofstra was going to be on the schedule. That was confirmed. Heard rumors of Albany, Drexel, Penn, and UMass though doubt all would have been added. It was going to be just as hard, if not harder, than previous schedules. I know that PM and Tiffany were discussing bringing the Doyle Smith back but I don't know if it's in the cards for this upcoming season. Hopefully soon.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

It’s time! This Petro hire is significant, and you will not sit in the corner til the spring of 2022. The best player in the history of John Hopkins is the DC at Syracuse. If Doc needs to hydrate, so be it. This is a big deal, and don’t make it small.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Heard Epstein and Zinn are playing box together up in Connecticut. McDermott is playing in the upstate NY league. Have a friend who coaches in CT who said Zinn is in another class athletically from everyone else in the league. Sure would be nice if he could put it all together in 2022. Maybe he just is what he is at this point but I can't help shake the feeling he can still be unlocked. Very curious to see how the staff deploys him next year. His move to SSDM may have been out of necessity after Mabbett went down but I don't think anyone will be shocked if he stays there.

Callahan finished his senior season at Victor facing off at 86%. I'm told that is slightly higher than TD Ierlan's senior year FO% at Victor.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:05 pm It’s time! This Petro hire is significant, and you will not sit in the corner til the spring of 2022. The best player in the history of John Hopkins is the DC at Syracuse. If Doc needs to hydrate, so be it. This is a big deal, and don’t make it small.
I hope he brings his stellar 2020 defensive system to Cuse.
He's their problem now.
Last edited by Sagittarius A* on Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 pm Heard Epstein and Zinn are playing box together up in Connecticut. McDermott is playing in the upstate NY league. Have a friend who coaches in CT who said Zinn is in another class athletically from everyone else in the league. Sure would be nice if he could put it all together in 2022. Maybe he just is what he is at this point but I can't help shake the feeling he can still be unlocked. Very curious to see how the staff deploys him next year. His move to SSDM may have been out of necessity after Mabbett went down but I don't think anyone will be shocked if he stays there.

Callahan finished his senior season at Victor facing off at 86%. I'm told that is slightly higher than TD Ierlan's senior year FO% at Victor.
Zinn could be the solution on the 2nd midfield line if he could put it together. He seemed to be better offensively as a freshman than he's been the last two years. The regression is puzzling. Usually middies make a big leap from frosh to sophomore which is why we can expect big things I think from Peshko and McDermott. Zinn's athleticism is off the charts. If he could get his offensive game back he'd make a great pairing with those two. Maybe he plays a hbrid role? Some ssdm, some offense, some wings. Hopefully he gets in the backyard and works on his shooting this summer.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:00 pm
16. Your meme is missing something.

HomewoodHomerJizzing
HomewoodHomerJizzing
FE2CBD62-DD94-4188-9C83-73EA52522FB0.jpeg (67.49 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'd be wary of adding an ivy to the schedule next year until you see what they look like in fall ball because I just do not see a 2 year layoff creating a situation where they're going to be a credible opponent early in the year when we play them. add in the fact they would be tough to scout because of how many new faces they would have and it's not a winning proposition.

If there is a schedule change to be made, I said in the last season thread it would be good to break up the b1g schedule and move some of the lesser attended games like michigan, rutgers and ohio state earlier in the year and to put a navy, cuse or uva if they return to the schedule in april where there's likely to be bigger crowds.

PM has been notably quiet compared to some of our rivals in early transfer stuff. Rutgers has added 4 players already. I wonder with petro ensconced if we see more of our guys announce plans to move on.

The cuse coverage of his addition has been very interesting and not what I expected. They've mostly focused on his playing career against gait and not what went wrong at the end for him at Hopkins or what he did against the acc.

One of the bigger lacrosse publications has a piece on coaching transitions that's not worth linking to because of all the grammatical nonsense and predictably pro acc bs but we are mentioned.

Rabil has been everywhere lately promoting his PLL stuff but really himself and over the years he's gotten notably quieter promoting the alma mater. I was very impressed at the end of last season w/the way the 90s alumni rallied around the team on social media after some of the younger guys went after PM.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 pm Heard Epstein and Zinn are playing box together up in Connecticut. McDermott is playing in the upstate NY league. Have a friend who coaches in CT who said Zinn is in another class athletically from everyone else in the league. Sure would be nice if he could put it all together in 2022. Maybe he just is what he is at this point but I can't help shake the feeling he can still be unlocked. Very curious to see how the staff deploys him next year. His move to SSDM may have been out of necessity after Mabbett went down but I don't think anyone will be shocked if he stays there.

Zinn could be the solution on the 2nd midfield line if he could put it together. He seemed to be better offensively as a freshman than he's been the last two years. The regression is puzzling. Usually middies make a big leap from frosh to sophomore which is why we can expect big things I think from Peshko and McDermott. Zinn's athleticism is off the charts. If he could get his offensive game back he'd make a great pairing with those two. Maybe he plays a hbrid role? Some ssdm, some offense, some wings. Hopefully he gets in the backyard and works on his shooting this summer.
I'd be tempted to fully develop Zinn as a SSDM and as a weapon in transition. I think he could flourish without having to bear any 6x6 offensive role. Think (poor man's) Matt Abbott.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”