Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by xxxxxxx »

Yahoo is one of many reporting this story, I trust the polls that say 40% won't take it as much as I trust the polls that said Hillary would win in a landslide. Therapeutics are of course very important, but is you want to eradicate a virus it takes a vaccine. I also believe if you want to live in a college dorm, play college sports, etc you will be required to take it. If you don't want to take it you can stay home and take classes on line. If that is the case 99% of college athletes will take it. Considering that here in the Northeast where most college lacrosse is played they are playing high school football, soccer field hockey right now and planning for winter sports. Colleges are having fall lacrosse practice, football schedules are being set up for the spring in many cases. There is a will to get back to normal. Unless there is a major problem with winter sports I believe we will see some form of college lacrosse.

I also believe that after the election regardless of who wins you will see much less about the virus.
Last edited by xxxxxxx on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Therapeutics will have no impact whatsoever on the playing of spring sports. A vaccine certainly would. Many vaccines are already required to attend school (with a few narrow exceptions). It will be interesting to see how that is handled with a new vaccine/s that will have a massive media frenzy and hysteria around it. I agree with xxx however that most college athletes will take it. As to whether that will be enough for the decision makers to allow sports to proceed will need to be seen.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Mortality rates are dropping significantly--even those with co-morbidities. Vitamin D and Zinc are stopping covid in its tracks... it's a virus(#19 btw) and there'll be a new one next year.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm Mortality rates are dropping significantly--even those with co-morbidities. Vitamin D and Zinc are stopping covid in its tracks... it's a virus(#19 btw) and there'll be a new one next year.
Believe vitamin D and zinc work if it helps you to sleep. You've been listening to Rush too much. It isn't #19. It was isolated in 2019!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Drcthru wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm Mortality rates are dropping significantly--even those with co-morbidities. Vitamin D and Zinc are stopping covid in its tracks... it's a virus(#19 btw) and there'll be a new one next year.
Believe vitamin D and zinc work if it helps you to sleep. You've been listening to Rush too much. It isn't #19. It was isolated in 2019!
Maybe it's not the 19th Covid virus: "This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003"--yes, it started in 2019, so Covid-19, but there have been a plethora of coronaviruses. Point being, viruses come and go--granted, this one is nasty for those that are elderly or other co-morbidities. For young people, it's a non-factor, ditto for most others. Also, 85% of those testing positive in July said they were adamant/diligent about wearing a mask when around others...
I like RUSH, and several other Canadian rock groups.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I’m starting to think the 2021 season is dependent on election results .... if Trump wins, athletics will power through .... if Biden wins everything will shut down.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

bauer4429 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:06 pm I’m starting to think the 2021 season is dependent on election results .... if Drumpf wins, athletics will power through .... if Biden wins everything will shut down.
If the forecasts of another 160,000 dead by the end of February are even close to true then it won't matter who is president. Let's pray (and also wear masks) that estimate is way too high.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:46 pm
bauer4429 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:06 pm I’m starting to think the 2021 season is dependent on election results .... if Drumpf wins, athletics will power through .... if Biden wins everything will shut down.
If the forecasts of another 160,000 dead by the end of February are even close to true then it won't matter who is president. Let's pray (and also wear masks) that estimate is way too high.
In a normal year there would be just under 1,000,000 dead in the US between now and the end of February. With the way COVID deaths are counted, I think 160,000 attributed to it between now and then is probably not far off.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 am
Maybe it's not the 19th Covid virus: "This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003"--yes, it started in 2019, so Covid-19, but there have been a plethora of coronaviruses. Point being, viruses come and go--granted, this one is nasty for those that are elderly or other co-morbidities. For young people, it's a non-factor, ditto for most others. Also, 85% of those testing positive in July said they were adamant/diligent about wearing a mask when around others...
Those 85% were adamant until they went to bars and restaurants. It was in the detail. 84% of those wearing masks but didn’t frequent bars and restaurants tested negative. Nobody paid attention to that detail.
“I wish you would!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

The 160,000 projected new deaths from Covid by Feb.1 comes from the University of Washington's IHME center which has been surprisingly accurate over the past 4 months or so in projecting the death totals on a macro level. 4 months ago after adjusting their projections a time or two prior to that they came up with a 231,000 death figure for Nov.1 (I know because I wrote it down and periodically have measured the numbers against that figure, {their state by state figures have been a bit less predictive}). Their current projections of 160,000 new deaths by Feb. 1 assumes the current level of mask wearing and mandates. With a loosening of those conditions the number of deaths is projected to be around 250,000 new deaths, with a tightening of restrictions and mandates +90,000 or so.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... &tab=trend

As far as election results go , I would assume a Trump victory would tend to lead to a loosening of restrictions, a Biden win, with Trump remaining in office through mid January I would assume a likely continuation of the status quo or a slight uptick in mask mandates. Either way 160,000 new deaths, particularly if there is a resurgence in cases in the Northeast would very likely lead the Ivies to continue their no sports for the time being mandates with perhaps the Patriot league and CAA following suit. The current surge in new cases, combined with the attendant projection for new fatalities is not a hopeful sign for a business as usual 2021 spring season for lacrosse.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:42 am
Those 85% were adamant until they went to bars and restaurants. It was in the detail. 84% of those wearing masks but didn’t frequent bars and restaurants tested negative. Nobody paid attention to that detail.
Please stop pointing out details like this. If other posters start paying attention, the rest of us will be deprived of their amusing contributions.
Typical Lax Dad

smoova wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:23 pm
Please stop pointing out details like this. If other posters start paying attention, the rest of us will be deprived of their amusing contributions.
Yep. 85% of the people that wear a mask contract Coronavirus

😂😂😂
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:27 pm

😂😂😂
What's so funny? Your taking the initial report completely out of context to fit what you think is humorous. Nobody said the above was true.

JoeMauer89!
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:27 pm

😂😂😂
What's so funny? Your taking the initial report completely out of context to fit what you think is humorous. Nobody said the above was true.

JoeMauer89!
I will leave it to the politics thread.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i am left to wonder how many of those 85% would've gone to those bars and restaurants without their masks.

we may never know. or maybe we will.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

calourie wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:11 pm
The 160,000 projected new deaths from Covid by Feb.1 comes from the University of Washington's IHME center which has been surprisingly accurate over the past 4 months or so in projecting the death totals on a macro level. 4 months ago after adjusting their projections a time or two prior to that they came up with a 231,000 death figure for Nov.1 (I know because I wrote it down and periodically have measured the numbers against that figure, {their state by state figures have been a bit less predictive}). Their current projections of 160,000 new deaths by Feb. 1 assumes the current level of mask wearing and mandates. With a loosening of those conditions the number of deaths is projected to be around 250,000 new deaths, with a tightening of restrictions and mandates +90,000 or so.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... &tab=trend

As far as election results go , I would assume a Trump victory would tend to lead to a loosening of restrictions, a Biden win, with Trump remaining in office through mid January I would assume a likely continuation of the status quo or a slight uptick in mask mandates. Either way 160,000 new deaths, particularly if there is a resurgence in cases in the Northeast would very likely lead the Ivies to continue their no sports for the time being mandates with perhaps the Patriot league and CAA following suit. The current surge in new cases, combined with the attendant projection for new fatalities is not a hopeful sign for a business as usual 2021 spring season for lacrosse.
slight correction, their base case projection isn't assuming the current level of mask wearing and mandates. it's their projection of what will occur (including mask wearing, mandates, among others).

the good news of late is that recently they pushed their 160k figure out from jan 1 to feb 1, and moved jan1 down by over 60k. on top of 30k before that. fingers crossed.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

:roll: The sky is falling, the sky is falling! If you're at risk, take precautions, if not, just be smart--I guess a mask is the end-all-be-all... Then why not mandatory goggles, too? Last I checked, eyes are also membranes..
Typical Lax Dad

FMUBart wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:59 pm
:roll: The sky is falling, the sky is falling! If you're at risk, take precautions, if not, just be smart--I guess a mask is the end-all-be-all... Then why not mandatory goggles, too? Last I checked, eyes are also membranes..
Masks are not the end all. Only a crutch for those that don’t have the will power to social distance and for those instances where you can’t avoid other people. A mouth and nose covering will help reduce the droplet transmission into a person’s eyes.
“I wish you would!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

It's not a the sky is falling issue, but rather a question of how many people you are comfortable with putting at risk for a shorter life span and uncomfortable death. I'm comorbid as all get out and take total responsibility for myself without being particularly critical of those who don't seem to take me and others in my condition into account while at the same time applauding those who seem to. Better leadership and example at the top filtering down to everyone would clearly increase my chances of making it through long enough to see an effective vaccine approved and implemented. I'm not talking about shutting down the economy, but rather effective testing, tracing and isolating and wearing masks when and where appropriate. This thing is unlikely to miraculously disappear and a 2021 lacrosse season is probably dependent on how effective we are as a country in turning around the direction this scourge is currently headed.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

calourie wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 pm
It's not a the sky is falling issue, but rather a question of how many people you are comfortable with putting at risk for a shorter life span and uncomfortable death. I'm comorbid as all get out and take total responsibility for myself without being particularly critical of those who don't seem to take me and others in my condition into account while at the same time applauding those who seem to. Better leadership and example at the top filtering down to everyone would clearly increase my chances of making it through long enough to see an effective vaccine approved and implemented. I'm not talking about shutting down the economy, but rather effective testing, tracing and isolating and wearing masks when and where appropriate. This thing is unlikely to miraculously disappear and a 2021 lacrosse season is probably dependent on how effective we are as a country in turning around the direction this scourge is currently headed.
I guess you shouldn't drive a car, or cross the street...unless the government tells you how!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”