Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:52 pm The man you cite doesn’t eat crow he doubles down every time, floods the box (stolen from a snake di marhgarita) with misinformation and just lobs bombs.

Had been wondering how good Loyola was this year. Tough loss, really going to take down the 2nd PL bid a notch with so few OOC games. Need Loyola to win AQ and either Army or Lehigh get get an at large because Loyola’s resume isn’t going to be there now.

And UVA is very thankful to have beaten ND today or they’d be paying a lot of attention to Rutgers now that this Loyola win will Mikey fall out of the NCAA definition of a quality win.

Why is the offense struggling? Thought there were a bunch of pieces, good FOGO and some talented FR. Is it team cohesion with too many younger kids playing or something else?
yes, uva now needed the nd win. and now for nd to catch an acc win or 2. hoos probably got to get another one and/or at least richmond.

how loyola can put up 20 + on some teams and then barely score is perplexing. are the stratas in lacrosse that wide again?
I imagine UVA will be fine either way. Loyola's AL hopes are likely cooked. This loss doesn't help Lehigh though and the hope for 2 PL teams. 1 B1G and 1 Big East look certain; but if the PL is only going to be 1 bid if Loyola slides than things get interesting from there.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:52 pm The man you cite doesn’t eat crow he doubles down every time, floods the box (stolen from a snake di marhgarita) with misinformation and just lobs bombs.

Had been wondering how good Loyola was this year. Tough loss, really going to take down the 2nd PL bid a notch with so few OOC games. Need Loyola to win AQ and either Army or Lehigh get get an at large because Loyola’s resume isn’t going to be there now.

And UVA is very thankful to have beaten ND today or they’d be paying a lot of attention to Rutgers now that this Loyola win will Mikey fall out of the NCAA definition of a quality win.

Why is the offense struggling? Thought there were a bunch of pieces, good FOGO and some talented FR. Is it team cohesion with too many younger kids playing or something else?
yes, uva now needed the nd win. and now for nd to catch an acc win or 2. hoos probably got to get another one and/or at least richmond.

how loyola can put up 20 + on some teams and then barely score is perplexing. are the stratas in lacrosse that wide again?
They put 20+ on Utah who with all due respect is probably one of the worst teams in D1. 24 on Bucknell was probably just their best game of the year. But when you're playing Utah or Lafayette who are worst team in D1 level; than yeah the stratas are pretty wide between Top 15-20 and bottom 5
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Probably but last place in the ACC and Army/Loyola drop off would put them in the sweatbox come decision time at a bare minimum. Got ND and Army is still looking solid, ideally the beat Lehigh.

WG, not your board but is a kid named Bruegel still playing (fogo)? Know his dad from my days in DC a little bit, great dude (the dad, I’m sure the kid is the same, father wrestled at PSU).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:36 pm Probably but last place in the ACC and Army/Loyola drop off would put them in the sweatbox come decision time at a bare minimum. Got ND and Army is still looking solid, ideally the beat Lehigh.

WG, not your board but is a kid named Bruegel still playing (fogo)? Know his dad from my days in DC a little bit, great dude (the dad, I’m sure the kid is the same, father wrestled at PSU).
If Army fell off yes. But the question as always is with the Ivy out whose gonna get in instead? Not a lot of options
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Lots of rocks. Sorry if call it like I see it. Sometimes facts hurt the snowflakes feelings
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:36 pm Probably but last place in the ACC and Army/Loyola drop off would put them in the sweatbox come decision time at a bare minimum. Got ND and Army is still looking solid, ideally the beat Lehigh.

his kid was a bit of a wrestler, too.
he didn't take his 5th year after not being in the rotation last year. is a lumber trader maybe in richmond it looks like.

he did great frosh year and flashed a lot of potential. can play the field and generate points, too. he faced a lot of comp incoming with transfers and recruits.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:40 pm

If Army fell off yes. But the question as always is with the Ivy out whose gonna get in instead? Not a lot of options
True, still think a random team could show up with a late season surge. CAA is helped mathematically relative to PL, but there could be a world where 2-3 of UMass/Del/Hof and both Army and Lehigh are in and that would be problematic for UVA. Seems odd to have the CaA teams ahead but the Towson win helps at the margin.

My point was simply that the game had further ramifications than these two schools and more importantly that I don’t think last in the ACC w/o a top ten OOC win is a lock even this year. They look good in ACC w ND win but still look behind Duke,UNC and Cuse. Don’t think this will happen but saying good thing they pulled a tight one out.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

are the stratas in lacrosse that wide again?
Strata! Plural of stratum. :o
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:56 pm

his kid was a bit of a wrestler, too.
he didn't take his 5th year after not being in the rotation last year. is a lumber trader maybe in richmond it looks like.

he did great frosh year and flashed a lot of potential. can play the field and generate points, too. he faced a lot of comp incoming with transfers and recruits.
Cool thanks. Glad he stuck it out, think last time I saw his dad was around his FR year or so,maybe 2017-2018 as my business in the DC area doesn’t usually take me into the VA side as much and he works around, damn forgot the town but it’s got the state theatre and rte 7 goes through it, maybe glens falls?. Last I heard he was maybe in the mix but probably not a long term starter so glad he stayed and got a ring. Dad is in finance, migrated from more retail into middle market investment management (think 5-10yrs behind Farr Miller type) so figures he’d go that way and think dad said that was his interest. Timber isn’t a bad sector today and intermediate future. Less regulated, of more import between eco friendly cohort and other supply demand factors in place today.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:35 pm

They put 20+ on Utah who with all due respect is probably one of the worst teams in D1. 24 on Bucknell was probably just their best game of the year. But when you're playing Utah or Lafayette who are worst team in D1 level; than yeah the stratas are pretty wide between Top 15-20 and bottom 5
This is a season unlike any others. There are lots of unique circumstances. Enjoy being able to play the games.
Try to be tourney eligible. Get hot.
old salt

Post by old salt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:27 pm Try to be tourney eligible. Get hot.
You probably mean the ncaa tourney, but the way the PL tourney is shaping up, it looks like Army & BU from the N
with Lehigh & Loyola from the S, unless Navy can knock one of them out.
Lehigh has a sched advantage because they only play Loyola & Navy once each,
while Navy & Loyola play each other twice.
This Navy team is still an unknown quantity.
We'll know more later today.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:54 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:27 pm Try to be tourney eligible. Get hot.
You probably mean the ncaa tourney, but the way the PL tourney is shaping up, it looks like Army & BU from the N
No aq bid. Navy twice. Army Lafayette and Georgetown. We would have to win them all to have a chance at an aq bid.

Defense coaches have figured out offense no need to slide to dodging middies. Overly aggressive towards Olmstead and lindley. And make the middies best u with 20 plus step downs.

As to Peter brown I believe the athletes came to Loyola for the diamonds and not the rocks. Winners compete. Like mist posters last week you were saying how good the offense was with 24 against bucknell. I cautioned about over exuberant posts.

There is one thing that does not lie in sports. Statistics and film. Emotions are not involved. Savio gray at the face off. Does not equal goals by offense. Win ground ba battle. Did not capitalize. Imo the problem Lies 60% with the jimmies and the Joe’s. 40% coaching. Just no chemistry on offense

If I am wrong in my analysis show me with facts not emotional anecdotes
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:11 am
No aq bid. Navy twice. Army Lafayette and Georgetown. We would have to win them all to have a chance at an aq bid.
The Hounds have only one path to the NCAA tourney now - that's the PL AQ, and it's pretty straightforward. We need to win our remaining PL games. If you're referring to an at-large bid, there is no chance. Even beating G'town and Army/Lehigh twice, with a loss to one of them in the PL finals would not give us a strong enough resume for an at-large.

I felt like I was watching the Lehigh game again yesterday, but with one big difference - against Towson we were winning the faceoffs. What was most disappointing to me is that this is the first game where we were at full strength, with everyone healthy - Kamish, Wigley, Seth Higgins, Cox, but the offense was anemic. When Savio has more points than Lindley and James combined, we've got a serious problem. The defense played well, but you're not going to win games scoring 6 goals.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well..beat GT and they lose to Denver agAin and it’s possible they take a bid from GT...Only difference is they won’t use it as an excuse in DC to fire their coach Id it happened like it did to 9-4 Urick.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:58 am
The Hounds have only one path to the NCAA tourney now - that's the PL AQ, and it's pretty straightforward. We need to win our remaining PL games. If you're referring to an at-large bid, there is no chance. Even beating G'town and Army/Lehigh twice, with a loss to one of them in the PL finals would not give us a strong enough resume for an at-large.

I felt like I was watching the Lehigh game again yesterday, but with one big difference - against Towson we were winning the faceoffs. What was most disappointing to me is that this is the first game where we were at full strength, with everyone healthy - Kamish, Wigley, Seth Higgins, Cox, but the offense was anemic. When Savio has more points than Lindley and James combined, we've got a serious problem. The defense played well, but you're not going to win games scoring 6 goals.
i was referencing at large bid... thank you for the correction
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Defense coaches have figured out offense no need to slide to dodging middies. Overly aggressive towards Olmstead and lindley. And make the middies best u with 20 plus step downs.

As to Peter brown I believe the athletes came to Loyola for the diamonds and not the rocks. Winners compete. Like mist posters last week you were saying how good the offense was with 24 against bucknell. I cautioned about over exuberant posts.

There is one thing that does not lie in sports. Statistics and film. Emotions are not involved. Savio gray at the face off. Does not equal goals by offense. Win ground ba battle. Did not capitalize. Imo the problem Lies 60% with the jimmies and the Joe’s. 40% coaching. Just no chemistry on offense

I'd argue a little bit differently. I don't think this team is necessarily more anemic than not. I'd say it's highly inconcistent. The offense has been hit or miss.
Compare stats/film of UVa/Bucknell to the Towson/Lehigh games.
That is their "range" of play.
Pretty broad. Why?
I dont know.
Inconsistencies are often blamed on youth and inexperience. I'd probably lean towards that explanation given the lack of fall and odd practice routines. Still too soon to count any one/team out. In any conference. But at this time, Loyola definitely needs to start stacking some wins or it will be AQ or bust.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

From what I see, 3 of top four scorers are seniors. Only ones in double digits as well so depth needs to be built perhaps. Weird year. But surely scanlon would’ve made this offense meaningfully better.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:19 pm From what I see, 3 of top four scorers are seniors. Only ones in double digits as well so depth needs to be built perhaps. Weird year. But surely scanlon would’ve made this offense meaningfully better.
It's been a really odd year...one important point when analyzing scoring stats is the fact Kamish missed 4 games and has only played 3 games...he would be in our top 3-4 scorers with a healthy full year...

Yesterday, and Lehigh was awful awful offense....really no defending it or making excuses...

Next game up is Navy...gotta win the next game...see what happens...

My guess is this team just doesn't find it this year and it's as much from the lack of practice time, injuries, covid...and maybe just not being good enough this year...again, can't defend yesterday or the Lehigh game...really rough

I'm not giving up on kids and this team this year...but it will be nice to get in a full fall in 2021, get past all the covid turd and then see what happens next year...

I miss Pat Spencer way more than Chase Scanlon
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:43 pm

I'd argue a little bit differently. I don't think this team is necessarily more anemic than not. I'd say it's highly inconcistent. The offense has been hit or miss.
Compare stats/film of UVa/Bucknell to the Towson/Lehigh games.
That is their "range" of play.
Pretty broad. Why?
I dont know.
Inconsistencies are often blamed on youth and inexperience. I'd probably lean towards that explanation given the lack of fall and odd practice routines. Still too soon to count any one/team out. In any conference. But at this time, Loyola definitely needs to start stacking some wins or it will be AQ or bust.
Good logical post here...

It's been an odd year for all teams...some teams have been able to manage it...some are struggling...Loyola is a school and team and administration that has struggled with Covid and it's had an impact...other schools not so much...

No excuses beyond that...we've been bad on offense vs good teams (I think UVA is a bad team defensively and we played their back up goalie)...it's been tough...but I'm not gonna bail or rip kids...

Go Hounds, Beat Navy...maybe we can go on a run...it doesn't feel like it...but turd can change fast
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:19 pm From what I see, 3 of top four scorers are seniors. Only ones in double digits as well so depth needs to be built perhaps. Weird year. But surely scanlon would’ve made this offense meaningfully better.
It's been a really odd year...one important point when analyzing scoring stats is the fact Kamish missed 4 games and has only played 3 games...he would be in our top 3-4 scorers with a healthy full year...

Yesterday, and Lehigh was awful awful offense....really no defending it or making excuses...

Next game up is Navy...gotta win the next game...see what happens...

My guess is this team just doesn't find it this year and it's as much from the lack of practice time, injuries, covid...and maybe just not being good enough this year...again, can't defend yesterday or the Lehigh game...really rough

I'm not giving up on kids and this team this year...but it will be nice to get in a full fall in 2021, get past all the covid turd and then see what happens next year...

I miss Pat Spencer way more than Chase Scanlon
Sure in Spencer > Scanlon, was just opining as I had seen someone suggest they could easily take or leave Scanlon. I get the circle the castle mentality but I don’t believe anyone can really believe that they don’t think Scanlon would’ve been accretive to this offense.

Assuming you get Laf, fan still get above .500 but tough stretch w Navy, Army, Navy, Laf, GTown coming up. A reasonable goal might still be to go 3-2 down the stretch. Given Army’s SSDMs I have a bad feeling for Loyola in that game. Always like the program going back to the Cottle years and some fun games against Hobart 1-2x in the late 90s-01 and then for a bit in the ECAC. Just wondering post title and Spencer where they go from here

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”