Baltimore: A Shining Star

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Baltimore: A Shining Star

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:36 pm ... I really doubt the press referring to them as "squeegee workers" is any kind of spin. Baltimore has had these guys offering a window wash service since forever -- as long as I have been driving -- a long time.
My buddy calls them squeegee boys. I am sending him that article because I have warned him that that may be him getting killed one of these days.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:46 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:36 pm ... I really doubt the press referring to them as "squeegee workers" is any kind of spin. Baltimore has had these guys offering a window wash service since forever -- as long as I have been driving -- a long time.
My buddy calls them squeegee boys. I am sending him that article because I have warned him that that may be him getting killed one of these days.
Squeegee kids, squeegee guys, squeegee girls (I have seen them, although they are mostly male). Never had a problem with one that I can recall. I can understand the concern / fear of some drivers. I am pretty sure chasing one with a baseball bat is probably not a good idea in this day and age. I have actually a couple times in my life been happy the service existed.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Longer ago than I can believe, I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge in late afternoon in the summer when traffic on the Manhattan side came to a halt. Shortly, a squeegee guy approached and smeared my windshield with a barely damp, filthy rag. After exchanging pleasantries, he moved on. Moments later a budding entrepreneur approached with a display board full of kitchen knives.

What a city!! Have a problem, and a solution soon appears…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:33 pm Longer ago than I can believe, I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge in late afternoon in the summer when traffic on the Manhattan side came to a halt. Shortly, a squeegee guy approached and smeared my windshield with a barely damp, filthy rag. After exchanging pleasantries, he moved on. Moments later a budding entrepreneur approached with a display board full of kitchen knives.

What a city!! Have a problem, and a solution soon appears…
I have not seen a squeegee guy in NYC since the early 1990s. Upper East Side and this was shortly after someone tried to break into the trunk of my car.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

All these really funny stories about squeegee guys.

Heartwarming. Witty.

Do you guys recall why Youth posted here?

A guy was murdered. It’s more than a little likely the squeegee guy keyed his car because the driver refused to pay the extortion. It’s not often some taxpayer simply trying to get home gets out of his car with a bat, unprovoked.

But hey, your personal stories are hilarious. Forget that guy. He deserved it, right?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Pure supposition. Just as easily the guy in the car, in a bad mood didn't like something and decided to escalate. I have no idea what happened, what started it, and neither do you. :roll:

So what's your solution, make it legal to shoot all squeegee guys on sight? Typical republiCON elitist solution. :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:56 pm Pure supposition. Just as easily the guy in the car, in a bad mood didn't like something and decided to escalate. I have no idea what happened, what started it, and neither do you. :roll:

So what's your solution, make it legal to shoot all squeegee guys on sight? Typical republiCON elitist solution. :roll:

My solution upon hearing of someone’s murder by a squeegee guy isn’t to post personal stories about squeegee guys that are disrespectful to the deceased.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:54 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:56 pm Pure supposition. Just as easily the guy in the car, in a bad mood didn't like something and decided to escalate. I have no idea what happened, what started it, and neither do you. :roll:

My solution upon hearing of someone’s murder by a squeegee guy isn’t to post personal stories about squeegee guys that are disrespectful to the deceased.

“Timothy Reynolds grew up playing baseball in Carroll Park, later earned a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University, launched an engineering career and fathered three children.

An avid Orioles and Ravens fan, he lived in Hampden with his wife and daughter. He built a life in Baltimore.”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The squeegee peeps are mostly harmless. It’s been my experience that they generally keep moving if you wave them off.

But they are also known to perform their work unsolicited and then break a wiper, or whack your vehicle with their squeegee if you don’t want their service…or pay them afterwards.

The talking points from the City has historically been:

“They just want to work and earn money.”
“They have no other options.”
“It’s better than selling drugs.”

I guess?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:00 am The squeegee peeps are mostly harmless. It’s been my experience that they generally keep moving if you wave them off.

But they are also known to perform their work unsolicited and then break a wiper, or whack your vehicle with their squeegee if you don’t want their service…or pay them afterwards.

I guess?
I'd be interested in what policies/programs have worked in other cities to eliminate this issue, particularly any that aren't just strong-arm tactics that if caught on camera would create an uproar and backlash...what works?

Seems to me that those 3 excuses are real, but that needn't mean they are insurmountable...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A motorist’s dashcam captured the moments before the shooting. It showed Timothy Reynolds, who had the bat, was walking away from the squeegee workers when they followed after him. Reynolds turned and chased them, with the bat raised. He swung once, missing one worker, and another worker threw what appeared to be a rock at his head, hitting him. The third worker shot at Reynolds five times.

Police charged a 15-year-old, who was 14 at the time of the shooting, as an adult with first-degree murder.

Anytime someone is charged with intentionally killing another person, a claim of self-defense can be raised. But it’s a different conversation in Maryland than a state like Florida, which has a “stand your ground” law.

Maryland is in a minority of states that has preserved a “duty to retreat” standard from English common law. The state’s expectation, which largely comes from a body of court decisions rather than the legislature or criminal code, lays out that a person threatened in public with deadly force is expected to retreat before resorting to killing them.
The real lesson is, never bring a bat to a squeegee-rock-gun fight.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:55 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:00 am The squeegee peeps are mostly harmless. It’s been my experience that they generally keep moving if you wave them off.

I guess?
I'd be interested in what policies/programs have worked in other cities to eliminate this issue, particularly any that aren't just strong-arm tactics that if caught on camera would create an uproar and backlash...what works?

Seems to me that those 3 excuses are real, but that needn't mean they are insurmountable...
I don’t understand Baltimore. Part of the issue is all the money is funneled through a few intersections it seems. When I visited a buddy and we drove down 83, I pointed out to him why the problem persists in Baltimore. You don’t have this in Boston for instance. The money in Baltimore are like Salmon swimming upstream and the squeegee guys are the bears waiting for the food to swim bye. The bears aren’t stupid. The bears wait where they know the food is coming. Just like the squeegee kids know where the money is coming from….. I would set up some programs (I read a story last week of a sensible plan) and then clear the streets. Don’t need a huge “show of force” but pick a few off every day and it will eventually dissipate. Didn’t happen overnight and it’s not going to be fixed overnight….my 2 cents.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t understand codifying a rigid law about duty to retreat. Someone’s going to have to explain to me why a specific act or approach is codified for citizens that they have to execute under any circumstances in real time.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
molo

Post by molo »

TLD, I’ve lived in Baltimore for most of my 72 years and still haven’t figured it out. You’re not alone in not understanding it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ivan Bates just beat Marilyn Mosby, good news I think.
molo

Post by molo »

Mosby is an embarrassment who blames racism and opposition to her prosecutorial philosophy for her “persecution.” She had to go. The other candidate, a Harvard man, tried to use his position when stopped by cops for a traffic offense and has been accused by several women of workplace abuse. Bates seems a decent guy who would be better than either of his opponents.
In my home area, Baltimore County, the incumbent state’s attorney, accused of being soft on sexual assaults and who refused to prosecute a couple of cases involving private school teachers, is in danger of losing to a younger challenger. It would be quite an upset over someone who seemed to have the job for life.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Mosby’s wake was wide.

In neighboring Harford Co, the incumbent Peisinger lost to a younger challenger who painted him as a Mosby disciple.

Because he hired a bunch of former Mosby prosecutors. Albeit they were ones who left because Mosby started her political activism.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Looked her up and even her own wiki page covers this

On January 13, 2022, Mosby was indicted by a federal grand jury on a perjury charge alleging she falsely claimed COVID-19-related financial hardship in requesting one-time withdrawals of $40,000 and $50,000 of her deferred compensation funds under the CARES Act, which describes specific criteria for qualifying withdrawals, such as a reduction of income due to a COVID-related layoff or due to quarantining, whereas she reportedly had continued to draw her full salary throughout the period, and her salary had actually increased.[67] She additionally was accused of making false statements in mortgage applications for her Florida home and condo by failing to disclose her federal tax liabilities.[67] There are four counts in the indictment.[68]

On February 4, 2022, Mosby pleaded not guilty to the charges.[69] Her trial date has been set for September 19, 2022, after her lawyers requested a postponement.[70]
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

More guns fished out of the harbor by local residents. Three in the past month. This time in Fells.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/balti ... f750292c4e

Return to “POLITICS”