Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

willowglen wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:40 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:05 pm
willowglen wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:23 pm There are circumstances where athletic scholarships help over the Ivies. . My father was well off and there was no way I was qualified for aid at Princeton, my first choice. He was an incredibly abusive guy so I was not particularly bothered by his complete abandonment of the family. My mother was in ill health and hospitaized. I was a good student and ranked in the top 5 in the nation, so yes an athletic scholarship at Duke was very welcome. I wanted to look seriously at D 3 and Hopkins and Williams were serious options. With high poverty and stress I believed I could win NCAA at D3 without the full time job of being a professional athlete. Again, no way to get aid unless I lived on my own for several years. Not something I had the maturity to do.

Hopkins is just as good if not more attractive academically than half of the Ivy League. And there is no difference between Duke and JHU - all comes down to fit. I was a poor abused geek,, so Duke had its challenges socially but I could not be choosy. Look at sport like women 's XC, where Hopkins has 7 recent titles. Those women are choosing Hopkins over Williams, Amherst and Bowdoin. And they make this choice even though JHU like most city schools is not an ideal running environment. It makes sense to me, though. I am not sure I understand the attraction of Maryland though. For a good student athlete, JHU makes so much more sense.
hmmm, that would be a pretty darn rare circumstance, but thanks for explaining it...would that have been recent? I suspect that (if a kid was mature enough to actually make the pitch), these days the Ivies (or Hopkins) would have understood the situation and made the financial, need based aid work. Not necessary for an athletic schollie...but of course, extremely few full rides go out anyway through the athletic route...much more likely to get substantial aid through need based. Bloomberg's dough has made Hopkins competitive in this way with the Ivies.
My circumstance was in 1980. But having sent kids to Princeton and Duke, they expect kids with parents with upper middle class incomes to pay, even if a parent is bad news. One never knows, but a place like JHU may today be more flexible - I was a 4:05 miler in high school with a 1500 SAT - I never thought I was all that great but I could see a great Division 3 school like JHU being more flexible than the Ivies. My mother was dick, poor and homeless for a while. I liked Baltimore. When I was 14 the most well known sports doctor in the nation, Dr Gabe Mirkin, sponsored a national age group meet (paid for my expenses) which I won at Towson’s then mediocre track. I am from the Midwest, and found JHU much like Chicago’s best asset - the University of Chicago. Dr Mirkin made sure to mention JHU.

I don’t like the prejudice against athletes at select schools. I felt it at Duke, and I believed I could hold my own academically with anyone. My brother, an All American at UNC and Phi Beta Kappa in math, felt the same way. I went on to one of the best law schools in the nation and finished at the absolute top of the class. There again was some bias against me by my fellow wonky law reviewers but they had little concept of the notion that no matter our test scores that dedicated athletes were very very good at time management- a skill that can take you far. Plus, especially in a sport like lacrosse- a sense of keen urgency obtains. I would put a positive gloss on any dedicated JHU lacrosse athlete.

I laugh at the girls in sweat pants snarky comments about the JHU women. Us dorky track athletes back in the day would have been in heaven to have women like this as friends, and would have felt privileged around them, sweat pants or not.

Lacrosse requires toughness and a proper sense of physical dominance, This is not incompatible with being a great student, and for me I hope JHU can rise sgdin.
So very much to agree with there!

I think you'd find the financial aid folks today much more tuned into the kind of serious issue you describe. You're definitely correct that those who are well off are gonna have to pay, but what you seemed to describe was an abusive situation in which dad was absent and unwilling...and mom sick and unable... That said, very hard for a kid to navigate such on their own. Need a really 'with it' guidance counselor or adult friend with some connections. But the financial aid departments would very likely be open to that application. They have the dough and don't want any kid that has been admitted to not be able to attend because of cost differential...zero to do with whether an athlete, though, simply admitted. The athlete part helps in admission of course.

Hopkins is very close to Ivy level financial aid now, similarly tough admission #'s to the bottom half of Ivies, and similarly supportive if an athlete...the D1 part is even more so, both with admissions and direct athletic aid of course.

On the prejudice part, I had a couple of jerk profs at Dartmouth, but most weren't at all, indeed some were big fans, and I'm sure you can find such at many colleges, my son certainly felt a separation between athletes and non-athletes at Harvard, though with such a large athlete contingent at both our Ivies, it really made no difference given the size of friend base...and lots of non-athletes were nevertheless social and very interesting in their own rights. There's a bit of an assumption that maybe an athlete isn't as smart (similar to assumptions about legacies, certain minorities, etc) but once you're actually engaged on a topic, that goes away on the merits usually...totally agree on time management...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:04 pm i have a question if anyone knows... were most students not wearing sweatpants back then?
or jeans?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:04 pm i have a question if anyone knows... were most students not wearing sweatpants back then?
The womens lacrosse players were a singularly special group only found talking to themselves, football players, and male lacrosse players and almost always clad in sweatpants. The crew teams which had funding and were canceled by the Daniels group had members who led and participated in a wide variety of things on campus including that bike ride across America that was wildly popular and the famed pep band. I also noticed that the womens lacrosse team page includes 3 minorities out of 50 players/staff which doesn't quite square w/Daniels obsessive diversity equity inclusion mission.
molo

Post by molo »

I've never worked in business and plead ignorance of economics and the workings of the financial world, so I'm not trying to be snarky when I ask about graduate business programs. The Darden graduates that I know went there after they had worked for a while, and I assume their MBAs were crucial to their becoming managers in the corporate world. Two of my brothers in law worked in high finance, one graduated from Yale with a Russian studies major, the other from Loyola with a business major. Two of my nephews work in financial services, one graduated from F&M, the other from W&L, both majoring in history. As far as I know, all four have bachelor's degrees only. So how important is a master's in business for a career in the corporate world?
In education, for example, there are certain positions that require certain master's degrees. You can't be a counselor or a speech pathologist without the appropriate master's. Does staying an extra year to get a master's increase your chances of landing a job, say, on Wall Street?
molo

Post by molo »

I go way back, but when I was at UVA, most athletes fit in as members of the student body. Things changed when football players began living together, but I knew plenty of athletes, especially in sports like lax, who shared apartments or fraternity housing with students who weren't on teams. I suspect that over time, the situation for athletes in general has become more like football was then.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:18 pm
The womens lacrosse players were a singularly special group only found talking to themselves, football players, and male lacrosse players and almost always clad in sweatpants. The crew teams which had funding and were canceled by the Daniels group had members who led and participated in a wide variety of things on campus including that bike ride across America that was wildly popular and the famed pep band. I also noticed that the womens lacrosse team page includes 3 minorities out of 50 players/staff which doesn't quite square w/Daniels obsessive diversity equity inclusion mission.
notwithstanding the other filler, no answer to the question?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

molo wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:20 pm I've never worked in business and plead ignorance of economics and the workings of the financial world, so I'm not trying to be snarky when I ask about graduate business programs. The Darden graduates that I know went there after they had worked for a while, and I assume their MBAs were crucial to their becoming managers in the corporate world. Two of my brothers in law worked in high finance, one graduated from Yale with a Russian studies major, the other from Loyola with a business major. Two of my nephews work in financial services, one graduated from F&M, the other from W&L, both majoring in history. As far as I know, all four have bachelor's degrees only. So how important is a master's in business for a career in the corporate world?
In education, for example, there are certain positions that require certain master's degrees. You can't be a counselor or a speech pathologist without the appropriate master's. Does staying an extra year to get a master's increase your chances of landing a job, say, on Wall Street?
I went back to school to get an MBA and it advanced my career. I felt I needed more finance after working alongside guys that were business and finance majors in undergrad. It kind of depends these days. I recommended business school for a career pivot. My son had thought about it but it’s not necessary for him at this point. He works in finance.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:56 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:53 am With regards to the talent issue, yes, Milliman inherited what he inherited. However, good coaches put players in positions to succeed. Again, it's about his game plans and adjustments. It's hard to say that he's put those offensive players in position to succeed. Defense, yes. Offense, er...um...no.

Given the skill and athletes on defense, I'm surprised that Hop hasn't tried to push more in transition. If your size and athleticism limits you in the half-field, why keep trying to bang you head against that? Why not look for other ways to score or at least be different? Can you say that Hop is really taking its best swing on offense? That this is all they can do or should do? I'd be playing more like Hobart right now if I was Milliman.
Who isn't in a position to succeed that could be? What is he not doing that he should be doing? He has shaken up the lineup midseason more than I think any other coach in the country with the hopes of finding some answers. I don't know that there are any answers to be found right now. You saw it with your own eyes, what exactly are you supposed to do against a good defense when you lack literally a single capable dodger?

There are a couple lineup tweaks a reasonable person can point to that *maybe* would have made *some* impact over the course of the season, but not enough to fundamentally change things:
- Give a kid like Phillips, or one of the other freshmen, more of a chance at midfield. Hakim Hicks has unbelievable shake but I believe has either been hurt all year or is being redshirted
- Start a different goalie
- Schematically, I don't claim to know more than John Grant Jr. on how to score goals. If there was some magic answer with this group he'd probably have found it. The guy running your league-best offense right now looked similarly helpless from an X's and O's standpoint in 2020 and that was with Cole Williams, Forry Smith, Evan Zinn, and Owen Murphy on the team in addition to Epstein, Degnon, Angelus, DeSimone. With the exception of a season-opening win against a historically bad Towson team, that offense could get absolutely nothing going
flalax22 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:07 pm Not all can be thrown on the Pietramala crew.
Are Epstein and DeSimone having the type of seasons we expected? Is that on them or the current coaches. You need your best players to be your best players and that isn’t happening for us. Has Peshko improved over last year? Really the only players I see getting better are Degnon and Angelus. Kirson, McManus, Lyne have all regressed. Now to be fair I’ve heard Lyne is really banged up.
I'm not sure it's fair to say McManus has regressed. He's one of the few true athletes we have on the team. If everyone had his size and speed we'd be much better off. I've liked him better this year than last.

Think Evans has improved, as you know he's dealing with injuries as well and has accumulated another one on top of the boating accident. The play of basically all of the shorties has improved from 2020 as well. That's more than you can say for years prior when seemingly no one made any strides from year to year. There were pages and pages in this thread devoted to how Petro couldn't develop players. I think more guys have improved individually under this current staff than did over the previous 5-6 years under the last one and that's not an exaggeration.
The basics of the offense look really similar to me, like he's shuffling around players to better fit an offensive scheme that just doesn't have the players to work instead of installing a different offense. Hop jumped into a 10-man for one possession in the MD game. Why not try more of that earlier? When the close defense picks up GBs, why not tell them to push more often? Right now, it just looks like lining up and going 3 yards off tackle every single play.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Wheels, appreciate your thoughts on the offense. Maybe I'm reading something into something that I think I heard Junior say in an interview somewhere, but I wonder if he and PM aren't quite on the same page as to what they want the offense to be. And so we end up with some PM ideas, some Junior ideas and a scheme that's not actually cohesive? I admit a lack of real knowledge, but I have a hard time seeing what exactly they even want to be. Clearly this team doesn't have Jeff Teat, but it really doesn't look much like what I remember Cornell's offense looking like.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:13 pm Wheels, appreciate your thoughts on the offense. Maybe I'm reading something into something that I think I heard Junior say in an interview somewhere, but I wonder if he and PM aren't quite on the same page as to what they want the offense to be. And so we end up with some PM ideas, some Junior ideas and a scheme that's not actually cohesive? I admit a lack of real knowledge, but I have a hard time seeing what exactly they even want to be. Clearly this team doesn't have Jeff Teat, but it really doesn't look much like what I remember Cornell's offense looking like.
That's what it looks like to me, too, in the 4 or 5 games I've watched.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

I sometimes wonder whether certain posters on the JHU thread aren't alter egos of other posters. What a great way to build page count. But you guys own that!

I grew up in Baltimore, and this is not a new point but it bears mentioning. Hopkins used to get many of the best players from the Baltimore area by osmosis. And those were the best players in the country not from Long Island or Upstate. Coach Scott made a call, and a player went to JHU. I faithfully took the bus and went to see the Jays and rooted for my heroes. Hopkins could compete with anyone and, except for Navy for a while, triumphed.

As others have noted, the lax world has changed. The best players are not just heading to Hopkins because that is the culturally acceptable thing to do. Players come from everywhere, and as in all D1 sports, it starts with the Jimmies and the Joes. Coaches can improve overall team performance, but you have to start with comparable talent. From an outsiders’ point of view, early recruiting has hampered Hopkins for several years. When it started is not particularly relevant, but it lead to Coach P’s retirement I’m sure, because athleticism matters. Coach P was toast not because he can’t coach, though I will question passive defense because I think turnovers lead to easy offense, but because he sold his soul to early recruiting. It caught up to him. Bigger, faster, stronger matters. Yale beat Duke a few years back because they were bigger, faster, stronger. Brown made it to OT with Maryland in 2016 because they had a team that could run with the big boys. It is not that simple but it is a big part of it.

I have no axe for PM, but his teams kicked my Bear’s butts when he was in Ithaca. He should understand recruiting for an academic university. But it takes time. Recruiting is a 2 to 3 year process - before the players arrive. The idea that a team can be rebuilt in a year or two through recruiting or through the portal is idiotic. These players are not on full rides. Sure, support can be found through various chicaneries, but that grad year costs real money. It’s not like an NFL coach with cap room to spend. And many players grow attached to their teammates, school, friends, and faculty, mitigating against a move to the transfer portal no matter what their playing experience might be. All of the player moves that are summarily suggested as solutions by some are quite complicated in reality. Particularly for a school like Hopkins with an academic grad school.

I wish PM and the Jays well. It will, however, take time. My wishes do not extend to the little band and it’s fight song - may both rot in hell.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:55 pm The basics of the offense look really similar to me, like he's shuffling around players to better fit an offensive scheme that just doesn't have the players to work instead of installing a different offense. Hop jumped into a 10-man for one possession in the MD game. Why not try more of that earlier? When the close defense picks up GBs, why not tell them to push more often? Right now, it just looks like lining up and going 3 yards off tackle every single play.
What offense are they supposed to run against elite defenses when they don't have any dodging? Scoring goals is predicated on having guys who can force slides (or punish the D for deciding not to). Everything trickles down from that. You need somebody who can get a step on their man, period. And as 51 has pointed out many times, other than Degnon they *also* lack stretch shooters to keep the defense honest. What scheme better fits the players they have? Junior scored 1,500 pts in his MLL career, my guess is he has a pretty good idea schematically of what needs to happen to score more goals. And, again, the last we saw this offense in 2020 under a different coach/coordinator, it looked awfully similar and one could argue it was more talented then.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:40 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:55 pm The basics of the offense look really similar to me, like he's shuffling around players to better fit an offensive scheme that just doesn't have the players to work instead of installing a different offense. Hop jumped into a 10-man for one possession in the MD game. Why not try more of that earlier? When the close defense picks up GBs, why not tell them to push more often? Right now, it just looks like lining up and going 3 yards off tackle every single play.
What offense are they supposed to run against elite defenses when they don't have any dodging? Scoring goals is predicated on having guys who can force slides (or punish the D for deciding not to). Everything trickles down from that. You need somebody who can get a step on their man, period. And as 51 has pointed out many times, other than Degnon they *also* lack stretch shooters to keep the defense honest. What scheme better fits the players they have? Junior scored 1,500 pts in his MLL career, my guess is he has a pretty good idea schematically of what needs to happen to score more goals. And, again, the last we saw this offense in 2020 under a different coach/coordinator, it looked awfully similar and one could argue it was more talented then.
I guess my point it this - I see an offense that neither dodges aggressively nor aggressively moves off ball. I do agree that they have no real dodging threats, but I don't even see a lot of guys who seem to want to try to dodge. God bless Cole Williams, but he had no problem running himself into triple teams. Who's the guy on this team who's willing to try to dodge aggressively, when perhaps he shouldn't? I see a lot of guys who take a couple of steps and if they don't win cleanly (and they usually don't) take the adjacent pass because there's not a lot of cuts or other off ball movement and skips aren't available. And then repeat until the clock is running down.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DALaxDad wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:35 pm I sometimes wonder whether certain posters on the JHU thread aren't alter egos of other posters. What a great way to build page count. But you guys own that!

I grew up in Baltimore, and this is not a new point but it bears mentioning. Hopkins used to get many of the best players from the Baltimore area by osmosis. And those were the best players in the country not from Long Island or Upstate. Coach Scott made a call, and a player went to JHU. I faithfully took the bus and went to see the Jays and rooted for my heroes. Hopkins could compete with anyone and, except for Navy for a while, triumphed.

As others have noted, the lax world has changed. The best players are not just heading to Hopkins because that is the culturally acceptable thing to do. Players come from everywhere, and as in all D1 sports, it starts with the Jimmies and the Joes. Coaches can improve overall team performance, but you have to start with comparable talent. From an outsiders’ point of view, early recruiting has hampered Hopkins for several years. When it started is not particularly relevant, but it lead to Coach P’s retirement I’m sure, because athleticism matters. Coach P was toast not because he can’t coach, though I will question passive defense because I think turnovers lead to easy offense, but because he sold his soul to early recruiting. It caught up to him. Bigger, faster, stronger matters. Yale beat Duke a few years back because they were bigger, faster, stronger. Brown made it to OT with Maryland in 2016 because they had a team that could run with the big boys. It is not that simple but it is a big part of it.

I have no axe for PM, but his teams kicked my Bear’s butts when he was in Ithaca. He should understand recruiting for an academic university. But it takes time. Recruiting is a 2 to 3 year process - before the players arrive. The idea that a team can be rebuilt in a year or two through recruiting or through the portal is idiotic. These players are not on full rides. Sure, support can be found through various chicaneries, but that grad year costs real money. It’s not like an NFL coach with cap room to spend. And many players grow attached to their teammates, school, friends, and faculty, mitigating against a move to the transfer portal no matter what their playing experience might be. All of the player moves that are summarily suggested as solutions by some are quite complicated in reality. Particularly for a school like Hopkins with an academic grad school.

I wish PM and the Jays well. It will, however, take time. My wishes do not extend to the little band and it’s fight song - may both rot in hell.
The program has been on national tv weekly for 15 years, has two of the most charismatic stars in the games history, two of its post popular title teams and the schools us news ranking is trending higher. Yes it's not 1955 75 or 95, but it also has upteenth advantages that most rivals would drool over. The big ten thing has put our brand all over one of the most athletically gifted regions in the planet enabling our coaches visibility in areas like minnesota (rex sanders), Ohio (lou braun country), Michigan (warrior lacrosse), western Pa, and Indiana (tinney) that for generations have produced some of this nations best athletes.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:56 am
HappyGilmore wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:32 am You are probably right that letting PM go now is probably not a good move long term for the program. Not sure it will work out long term for him. Will have to wait and see when he gets his guys in. Just a question for you has your seem to have a good handle on the program. How would you rate PM’s first recruiting class? You mentioned Callahan above, but I don’t think there is any other significant contribution from any other freshman this season.
The first half of your post is perfectly reasonable and I think is all anyone should expect. I don't know if it will work out long term either. But he deserves an actual shot to find out.

It's been tough for freshmen around the country — not just at Hopkins — to be major contributors this year. On top of losing a key year of development as juniors in high school during Covid, they now have to deal with bloated rosters full of 25-year-olds. So it's tough just to get on the field.

With Hopkins specifically, after the coaching change, the majority of the class (then HS juniors) switched, meaning the new staff had to look for late bloomers in some unconventional places to fill out the class as Ruffled just mentioned. Milliman flipped two guys from his Cornell class, one from Binghamton, one from Vermont, and kept three of Petro's guys (Kaufman, Todaro, Teachout). Todaro, the highest ranked player in the class, broke his foot and missed all of fall ball. So he's never really been an option. He's healthy now but at this point you probably redshirt him. Reen, Bowler, Hicks, and Wong have also dealt with injuries. Callahan is clearly already making an impact, and I think Kaufman will eventually (he's too huge and rangy not to). Todaro when healthy should have a role at some point. I don't know about anyone else, but it's still early. I think this incoming 2022 class — which PM and co. recruited entirely on their own on a normal timeline — will be fair game to judge.
That’s a fair assessment on his recruiting and he should be allowed sometime to bring in his own recruits. Plus your point about trying to get a replacement after the AD only gave PM just two “Covid” years will make it difficult to find a good replacement. I am just not sure he is going to work out at JHU. I am not a fan of the way PM and Jr. have treated the current players on the roster. They are not great communicators and often send mixed messages. Also not sure he can handle the alumni pressure that comes with JHU. Not an easy place to coach. Will need to wait and see I guess. Hopefully it works out for the coaches and more importantly the players involved.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

You want to talk about PM’s game day relevance? Freshman FOGO finally gets his chance v Penn State and wins 78% of draws. Wins Big10 rookie and specialist of the week. Goes 6-3 v MDs All American and GET PULLED. That says it all.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 pm PM needs more time to be fully evaluated. I think in due time he will turn out to be a good coach. Now the only two weird and unexplainable things to me about PM which did make me question him some was

A. The Epstein situation. Just weird how he handled it but then again I am not on the inside and don't know any details but from an outsider prospective it's been well... weird
B. The senior day post game celebration. I am 99% positive he learned from his mistake but won't know until next seasons final.

Other than that, I think he did the best he could with his roster. Takes time for culture to build
C. He looked totally shellshocked (no pun intended) at the post-Maryland presser. There are alot of things a coach and leader can be after that type of loss: despondent, angry, contrite, forward looking, thoughtful. But not shellshocked. It gives the appearance of someone whose confidence has been crushed, who doesn’t know how to deal with what just happened, who didn’t in any way anticipate it, who doesn’t have a plan to fix whatever caused it. Compare his presser to Tiffany’s and Brecht’s after they lost to the Terps this year.

I think PM walked into a position and a situation he was not ready for, and is not yet experienced enough to deal with. He has essentially 4.5 years of head coaching experience in his life. And I think the culture-building aspect is exactly the part he still needs to learn. Any experienced leader will tell you that is the hardest part of almost any management job.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

1766 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:03 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm Of course PM wanted Donville. He coached him to All-American seasons at Cornell in 2020 and 2021. Donville wants to be a journalist and Maryland offers a pretty good program with the chance to win a national championship. No one was going to compete with that. If he wanted to get into medicine/public health instead maybe he'd have come to Homewood.

I can't overstate how nice the area that the Carey Business School is in is. It's not exactly Wharton reputation-wise but that could become a selling point for transfers. I'd *love* to live in Harbor East or Fell's Point for a year as a 22-year-old, directly on the water surrounded by bars. The school offers a bunch of interesting 1-year masters programs in addition to an MBA.

Not like they haven't used the portal. They've brought in six guys (plus Delaney), unfortunately two (Fernandez and Maher) have had serious injuries. A smart person sees that and thinks hm, they're clearly not opposed to the portal, they probably tried — like many other teams — to get a couple more guys in but were beat out by Maryland/Georgetown. A not smart person sees they brought in 7 guys and believes those must have been the only 7 they spoke to and that they had no interest in anyone else.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:58 pm Whatever Murphy did, it couldn't have been that bad or Tillman wouldn't have taken him in.
He didn't do anything criminal but if he did what he did at Maryland, Tillman would have sent him packing before he could blink. Unless your name is Matt Rambo, Tills' tolerance for rogueries of any kind is quite low. He's a Navy guy. One reason that program is so successful is because he runs it like a goddamn ship. Don't you remember the histrionics here a few years ago from some disgruntled fans (may have been parents or former players?) about how he breaks NCAA practice time rules and treats his players like Navy SEALs? Tillman took him in because he's talented and because he had an existing relationship with Bobby Benson. That doesn't mean the kid had no say in what happened to him at Homewood or that PM wasn't justified in the course of action that he took.
was it rambo or heacock who was on Rabil's pod drunk last year? And yes the defining images of maryland remain those riots they had after basketball games. When people think terp u they think riots, basketball that was always an also ran to duke/unc in the acc and a school no one in the big ten understands why it's there. Lacrosse fans know they've had a few good years of late, but there's not a national reputation of any sort of greatness athletically, academics, alumni or campus wise.

I've noticed 16 you and your pals on here are awfully quiet about your defense after last weekend. Lilly was smoked early, a sign of things to come.

We should always play the best schedules and seek to dominate them. No reason to ever lose against delaware, at home to navy or get cooked to the terps like that.
Maryland is in the B1G because of money. Everyone understands why they are there. They are very welcome because of it.
And as someone posted a few pages ago from a tweet by Maryland's SID, since the Terps have joined the B1G, they've won the 3rd most regular season and conference tournament championships in the B1G. But that shot at Maryland in the post above is just a salty tears troll shot. I love it!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm was it rambo or heacock who was on Rabil's pod drunk last year? And yes the defining images of maryland remain those riots they had after basketball games. When people think terp u they think riots, basketball that was always an also ran to duke/unc in the acc and a school no one in the big ten understands why it's there. Lacrosse fans know they've had a few good years of late, but there's not a national reputation of any sort of greatness athletically, academics, alumni or campus wise.

I've noticed 16 you and your pals on here are awfully quiet about your defense after last weekend. Lilly was smoked early, a sign of things to come.

We should always play the best schedules and seek to dominate them. No reason to ever lose against delaware, at home to navy or get cooked to the terps like that.
Don’t knock mattress burning unless you’ve tried it.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:40 pm
Throw out the Maryland game. The offense prior to this past Saturday has averaged, what, just over 10 goals a game? I commented earlier that I thought they needed to do more in transition. You responded that goalie play even limits transition opportunities. Running big-little, 2-man games where there's no off ball movement...and that's been a feature not a bug all season...isn't working. If it really is just all about Jimmys and Joes, then what's the point of coaching at all? Just to recruit, roll the ball out there, and let 'em play? You're really just giving Milliman and his staff a pass on all of it because, well, they inherited no talent and there's nothing more that can be done.

You see this sometimes in other sports where a coach gets locked in to his/her own system and just believes in it to the point where they get stubborn about it. JGJr has certainly forgotten more about lacrosse than I've ever even known, but that offense...the game plans, the in game adjustments...hasn't exactly bolstered the argument that Grant is an offensive mastermind. Maybe that's just me because I do think that coaching matters and can overcome talent deficiencies. Maybe not enough to overcome chasm in talent between Hop and some of the teams they've played this year but certainly enough to beat teams like Navy and Delaware or even pop an upset against Ohio State.

Luckily, Hop gets Penn State this weekend. I'd be pretty shocked by a loss there. I don't care how well they played last weekend against RU. PSU isn't a good team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”