Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:05 am
Poor Lives Matter
They do, regardless of skin color.....imo, each of us has a role to perform the Golden Rule. As a country, we get about a C.

Actually America gets an A+. We are by far the most charitable group of humans in history. We give time and money to the less fortunate.

The reason democrats don’t grasp that is they happen to be the antithesis of generous and yes, studies have proven this time and again. The reason Democrats torch buildings and cry racism every two seconds Is out of self hatred. They know they’re not what they want you to think of them.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am
foreverlax wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:05 am
Poor Lives Matter
They do, regardless of skin color.....imo, each of us has a role to perform the Golden Rule. As a country, we get about a C.

Actually America gets an A+. We are by far the most charitable group of humans in history. We give time and money to the less fortunate.

The reason democrats don’t grasp that is they happen to be the antithesis of generous and yes, studies have proven this time and again. The reason Democrats torch buildings and cry racism every two seconds Is out of self hatred. They know they’re not what they want you to think of them.
And your response is exactly why you are wrong....
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Contrast what PB is spewing with this - the last essay from John Lewis:
Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation
Though I am gone, I urge you toanswer the highest calling of your heart and stand up for what you truly believe.
While my time here has now come to an end, I want you to know that in the last days and hours of my life you inspired me. You filled me with hope about the next chapter of the great American story when you used your power to make a difference in our society. Millions of people motivated simply by human compassion laid down the burdens of division. Around the country and the world you set aside race, class, age, language and nationality to demand respect for human dignity.

That is why I had to visit Black Lives Matter Plaza in Washington, though I was admitted to the hospital the following day. I just had to see and feel it for myself that, after many years of silent witness, the truth is still marching on.

Emmett Till was my George Floyd. He was my Rayshard Brooks, Sandra Bland and Breonna Taylor. He was 14 when he was killed, and I was only 15 years old at the time. I will never ever forget the moment when it became so clear that he could easily have been me. In those days, fear constrained us like an imaginary prison, and troubling thoughts of potential brutality committed for no understandable reason were the bars.

Though I was surrounded by two loving parents, plenty of brothers, sisters and cousins, their love could not protect me from the unholy oppression waiting just outside that family circle. Unchecked, unrestrained violence and government-sanctioned terror had the power to turn a simple stroll to the store for some Skittles or an innocent morning jog down a lonesome country road into a nightmare. If we are to survive as one unified nation, we must discover what so readily takes root in our hearts that could rob Mother Emanuel Church in South Carolina of her brightest and best, shoot unwitting concertgoers in Las Vegas and choke to death the hopes and dreams of a gifted violinist like Elijah McClain.

Like so many young people today, I was searching for a way out, or some might say a way in, and then I heard the voice of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on an old radio. He was talking about the philosophy and discipline of nonviolence. He said we are all complicit when we tolerate injustice. He said it is not enough to say it will get better by and by. He said each of us has a moral obligation to stand up, speak up and speak out. When you see something that is not right, you must say something. You must do something. Democracy is not a state. It is an act, and each generation must do its part to help build what we called the Beloved Community, a nation and world society at peace with itself.

Ordinary people with extraordinary vision can redeem the soul of America by getting in what I call good trouble, necessary trouble. Voting and participating in the democratic process are key. The vote is the most powerful nonviolent change agent you have in a democratic society. You must use it because it is not guaranteed. You can lose it.

You must also study and learn the lessons of history because humanity has been involved in this soul-wrenching, existential struggle for a very long time. People on every continent have stood in your shoes, though decades and centuries before you. The truth does not change, and that is why the answers worked out long ago can help you find solutions to the challenges of our time. Continue to build union between movements stretching across the globe because we must put away our willingness to profit from the exploitation of others.

Though I may not be here with you, I urge you to answer the highest calling of your heart and stand up for what you truly believe. In my life I have done all I can to demonstrate that the way of peace, the way of love and nonviolence is the more excellent way. Now it is your turn to let freedom ring.

When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide.
John Lewis, the civil rights leader and congressman who died on July 17, wrote this essay shortly before his death.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Thanks for posting that Red. Much appreciated.

Very happy to see the President will not attend Lewis's funeral.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 am Thanks for posting that Red. Much appreciated.

But it is really sad when you have to say that - because any NORMAL president would think it his/her duty to be present at the funeral of such a civil rights icon. But Trump's presence would certainly be a disruption.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 am
seacoaster wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 am Thanks for posting that Red. Much appreciated.

But it is really sad when you have to say that - because any NORMAL president would think it his/her duty to be present at the funeral of such a civil rights icon. But Trump's presence would certainly be a disruption.
Agreed. Happily, there will be a President with dignity there to say something to the Lewis family and the nation.
Kinduv

Post by Kinduv »

trump racist as he11
Any great warrior is also a scholar, and a poet, and an artist.
-STEVEN SEAGAL
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:08 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 pm
foreverlax wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:01 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm Life isn’t rocket science. Life is a series of choices. From the time you are a kid.

The vast majority of people who complain about life being hard are correct. And it’s even tougher when people make lousy decisions.

Show me someone, anyone, of any color, that has a “tough life.” Why is it tough? Almost every time I can point to a collection of bad choices, not institutional racism. Chose not to study, chose not to apply themselves, choose to go out and party, chose not to wear a condom. Guess what, later in life those small decisions add up. Now you don’t have the degree you need to move up in the world. Now you have a kid you need to support, with a lousy job. Now you can’t buy that bigger house or whatever else you need/want.

Life is hard. Even harder when you make bad decisions and expect good results. Don’t like your lot on life? Start working, start studying, start reading. Stop whining. Make better choices and better little decisions.
Bad choice can lead to a very tough life.

Good choices, while being black, can lead to a very tough life.

You can hide a lot of things, but your skin color is right there on your sleeve.
If you want it be a crutch. Crutch, maybe for some. /color]

Good choices, while being white, can lead to a very tough life.

Skin color is as relevant to people’s lot in life as their eye color, hair color or blood type. Skin color for a white guy is irrelevant

White male Christians have no clue what's relevant to non-white/non-male/non-Christians.

Forever, you have proven my point.
Categorizing and labeling people is the left's MO and the reason we are in this situation.
They love categories- for creating laws and controlling you. It's critical to the left. But focusing on our tiny differences is what ultimately creates divisiveness instead of unity.
We've seen a huge rise in categories. There are no Americans. There are AA males, POCs, non-white/non-male/non-Christians, LGBT...and Qs!
There's a Q category! Just in case you dont know your category- we have a category for you!
It's all to enforce their agenda, box people in, and secure their general political Gov. control.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:27 am
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 am

Agreed. Happily, there will be a President with dignity there to say something to the Lewis family and the nation.
I believe there will be 3 Presidents in attendance.
They will all handle themselves and this moment with the dignity and respect Lewis' legacy deserves.

Trump would be incapable of such.
That said, I give him half a pass on this as Lewis chose not to attend his inauguration. I had no issue with that decision, but clearly Trump did, no surprise there.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Focusing on our tiny differences...
Nope. Statements like this are what create the divisiveness. As if being a black Muslim woman in America is a tiny difference from being a white Christian male.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 am
Focusing on our tiny differences...
Nope. Statements like this are what create the divisiveness. As if being a black Muslim woman in America is a tiny difference from being a white Christian male.
I agree, though I'd also argue one can actually hold both these (seemingly contradictory) thoughts simultaneously.

1) all humans are more alike than different.

2) we have all sorts of differences between people, both real and perceived. And the way people are treated based on the perception of those differences is very real.

Kram is apparently woefully unwilling to grapple with the reality of #2 and is clinging to #1 as moral justification for denying the painful reality of #2.

But he's not wrong about #1. We should treat people well regardless of their various differences. Unfortunately, we don't.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 am They love categories- for creating laws and controlling you. It's critical to the left.
Kramerica, have you lost your mind?

Are you telling me with a straight face that you don't know that the American right created all these categories in the first place? That they literally wrote some of these categories into our Constitution?

And passed laws so that one category couldn't marry a person from the other category?

And passed laws that said certain categories couldn't serve in our Armed forces?

And passed laws that said certain categories couldn't get an education?

And passed laws that kept certain categories from voting?

And held social norms while my own parents were adults that kept certain categories from getting bank loans, or starting businesses or live in certain parts of town?

Come on, my man. The American right is reason we're still trying to fix these problems. Putting it all on the left is just.....
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

page 258 bottom summarizes the paradox- empathize, but don't because you can't.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDLax, agreed. We're all humans. We all are living a human experience physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. With this said, in the context of this thread and the discussion within, there's an enormous (not tiny) difference between being black/white, Jew/gentile, man/woman, hetero/homo, etc. I understand that you understand this. But, for some, especially some white heterosexual gentile men, this is a tough pill to swallow. To some, the differences are tiny.
Caddy Day
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:16 am MDLax, agreed. We're all humans. We all are living a human experience physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. With this said, in the context of this thread and the discussion within, there's an enormous (not tiny) difference between being black/white, Jew/gentile, man/woman, hetero/homo, etc. I understand that you understand this. But, for some, especially some white heterosexual gentile men, this is a tough pill to swallow. To some, the differences are tiny.

Do some groups enjoy those differences? Can you Matnum, for example, buy a home in Kiryeas Joel New York? Would you be welcome? Do you care? Do they care? Are you better? Are they? Should we all be the same?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:08 am Tech, I have empathy for more than one person, more than one group of people. And I can empathize with this group for totally different reasons than that group. One of these groups is black Americans. They badly deserve our empathy. For me, politics has nothing to do with this.
How does this say, But don't because you can't? This says, Empathy is not a multiple choice questionnaire.

Stating the obvious here but the people within this thread who continually accuse others of seeing the world through binary, political eyeballs are very binary, political people. The projection is ridiculous.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:20 am Do some groups enjoy those differences?... Should we all be the same?
Of course there are benefits to being surrounded by people like ourselves. Setting aside that this is an impossibility, of course we shouldn't all be the same. What's your point?
Caddy Day
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:27 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:20 am Do some groups enjoy those differences?... Should we all be the same?
Of course there are benefits to being surrounded by people like ourselves. Setting aside that this is an impossibility, of course we shouldn't all be the same. What's your point?

I assumed you meant with your original comment that 'white Christian heterosexual men (ie: Republicans)' are scared of change', that you think change is a goal in and of itself, when perhaps some people other than white Christian heterosexual men actually enjoy their differences with white Christian heterosexual men

Said by a white Christian heterosexual man, confused often for a redneck. :lol:
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Florida man accused of illegally detaining Black 18-year-old heading to basketball practice

"Before the 30-second video stopped, the young man said he was "sorry.""
"Kept his hands in the air"

You can tell his parents had given him The Talk:

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Nope. Not speaking to people being afraid of change. Though I do think it's not a coincidence that the group of people (within this thread and otherwise) who benefit most from the racism, sexism, homophobia, antisemitism are the ones who are most vociferous about the issue being minor/small and being less interested in there being change within America.
Caddy Day

Return to “POLITICS”