Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 51percentcorn »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:36 pm Murphy seems like a wild card. He seems like the guy who has been hurt the most by the loss of the better offensive players from last year, but I'd expect for him to be up for this game.
Murphy has what looks to be almost undoubtedly a significant high ankle sprain. I saw an EMO goal against Ohio State I think but he couldn't move very well at all. He apparently played against Rutgers but did not register a stat - EMO again maybe? That's not to say he won't be ready by Saturday and torch the Jays again but his mobility looks currently compromised.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Just in case the e-mail doesn't get to everybody - the Hopkins Lacrosse Advisory Board has sent out a link to a lacrosse only apparel site. Nothing earth shattering - sweatshirts/performance shirts etc. that say Hopkins Lacrosse. One thing that caught my eye is the 1/4 zip with the NAG BlueJay similar to the ones that I have seen on the coaches sometimes this year. And the team gets $5 from every order. Whatever - thought I would shoot it along - here's the address that came up when I clicked the link to look:

www.bsnteamsports.com/jhZv8dCTjP
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:29 pm Just in case the e-mail doesn't get to everybody - the Hopkins Lacrosse Advisory Board has sent out a link to a lacrosse only apparel site. Nothing earth shattering - sweatshirts/performance shirts etc. that say Hopkins Lacrosse. One thing that caught my eye is the 1/4 zip with the NAG BlueJay similar to the ones that I have seen on the coaches sometimes this year. And the team gets $5 from every order. Whatever - thought I would shoot it along - here's the address that came up when I clicked the link to look:

On a related note, anyone know where to get good Hop memorabilia? I feel like I need a signed jersey for my office wall.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:00 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:36 pm Murphy seems like a wild card. He seems like the guy who has been hurt the most by the loss of the better offensive players from last year, but I'd expect for him to be up for this game.
Murphy has what looks to be almost undoubtedly a significant high ankle sprain. I saw an EMO goal against Ohio State I think but he couldn't move very well at all. He apparently played against Rutgers but did not register a stat - EMO again maybe? That's not to say he won't be ready by Saturday and torch the Jays again but his mobility looks currently compromised.
Don't know if it's a high ankle sprain. He rolled it a couple of weeks ago. He's played EMO the last 2 games but nothing more. He looked more mobile against RU, but it wouldn't surprise me if they limit him again this week in preparation for tournament play. He's played on the 2nd MF line since the loss at Loyola. That's when Erksa moved from MF to attack. Teams have stopped shorting Maltz but have started shorting Kelly. The 1st MF has been in a bit of a funk. Koras was dealing with the death of a close family friend (but did have 2 and 1 against RU). Long has alternated between forcing things and letting the game come to him (26 TOs this season, 17% shooting percentage). Brennan has been in a season-long shooting slump. He's still a match-up problem on inverts but he's not shooting from distance this year. Since the start of conference play, the 2nd MF line has out-scored the first MF line by a good margin. Eric Spanos is a big and surprisingly agile former attackman. He's been trigger shy on outside shots, but he's a total nightmare for shorties to handle. Zach Whitter has emerged this season. He is quick and a former attackman, so he distributes the ball well. With Murphy hurt, Ryan Siracusa has stepped into the last MF spot (freshman Marco Signorllo has played some, too). Siracusa is a strong and explosive dodger. Big time left-hand tendencies and a heavy shot. That second MF double-shifted in 4th quarter against OSU and played the overtime possession. They got the ball rolling against RU. Their tempo is just different when they're in compared to the first line.

On defense, they played their best game in weeks against RU. Makar has had a tendency to freelance more this year, and it's caused breakdowns that lead to dunks on the crease. Dante Trader has had similar tendencies. However, when they stay connected, the defense is elite. Ruppel in goal has been pretty good. Low shots on the move (across the field) have been an issue since he took over. When he's staring down set feet shooters, he's really good (see the UVA game).

The team is still built to run, but opponents have done a great job all season in limiting transition. McNaney was great at getting the ball out. Ruppel doesn't have that yet with his lack of experience. Wierman only has a goal this year, a testament to how well teams have flooded the defensive zone after he wins face-offs. Letting Maryland get any goals from Wierman, Geppert/McDonald, or their shorties probably means a long day for the opponent. I don't expect this to be a high scoring affair.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Wheels wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:21 pm Don't know if it's a high ankle sprain. He rolled it a couple of weeks ago. He's played EMO the last 2 games but nothing more. He looked more mobile against RU, but it wouldn't surprise me if they limit him again this week in preparation for tournament play. He's played on the 2nd MF line since the loss at Loyola. That's when Erksa moved from MF to attack. Teams have stopped shorting Maltz but have started shorting Kelly. The 1st MF has been in a bit of a funk. Koras was dealing with the death of a close family friend (but did have 2 and 1 against RU). Long has alternated between forcing things and letting the game come to him (26 TOs this season, 17% shooting percentage). Brennan has been in a season-long shooting slump. He's still a match-up problem on inverts but he's not shooting from distance this year. Since the start of conference play, the 2nd MF line has out-scored the first MF line by a good margin. Eric Spanos is a big and surprisingly agile former attackman. He's been trigger shy on outside shots, but he's a total nightmare for shorties to handle. Zach Whitter has emerged this season. He is quick and a former attackman, so he distributes the ball well. With Murphy hurt, Ryan Siracusa has stepped into the last MF spot (freshman Marco Signorllo has played some, too). Siracusa is a strong and explosive dodger. Big time left-hand tendencies and a heavy shot. That second MF double-shifted in 4th quarter against OSU and played the overtime possession. They got the ball rolling against RU. Their tempo is just different when they're in compared to the first line.

On defense, they played their best game in weeks against RU. Makar has had a tendency to freelance more this year, and it's caused breakdowns that lead to dunks on the crease. Dante Trader has had similar tendencies. However, when they stay connected, the defense is elite. Ruppel in goal has been pretty good. Low shots on the move (across the field) have been an issue since he took over. When he's staring down set feet shooters, he's really good (see the UVA game).

The team is still built to run, but opponents have done a great job all season in limiting transition. McNaney was great at getting the ball out. Ruppel doesn't have that yet with his lack of experience. Wierman only has a goal this year, a testament to how well teams have flooded the defensive zone after he wins face-offs. Letting Maryland get any goals from Wierman, Geppert/McDonald, or their shorties probably means a long day for the opponent. I don't expect this to be a high scoring affair.
Posts like this are why I keep coming back. Thanks, Wheels.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think the Jays are going to catch Maryland with a less experienced or talented offense for a long time. They lost to Michigan at home and struggled with Ohio State. Need to take advantage of it now because not sure when the next time Maryland will look so beatable will be. Even still, their dominance at the faceoff dot and those two AA defensemen make winning in CP a tall task. Assuming Zappitello and Makar are able to limit Angelus and Melendez (though both of those guys had pretty good games against Van Buren and Hudgins last week), we'll need contributions from guys like McDermott, Evans, etc. Would be a good time for our 6'4'' lefty out of Boys Latin to have a day. At the other end of the field, I don't know their offensive personnel all that well but assume Smith will be on Erksa. Brown and Kaufman will have their hands full with Long's quickness, though they do dwarf him in size. I'd feel a lot better if we had Deans for this one but don't think he's particularly close to coming back.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

As of this week,

2. Culver (Ind.) (12-1)

The Eagles put the Midwest on notice by trouncing fellow Midwestern power Western Reserve Academy, 17-2.

Senior Johns Hopkins signee Gabe Sorichetti racked up five goals and two assists, pushing his season stat line to 49 goals and 26 assists.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:29 pm As of this week,

2. Culver (Ind.) (12-1)

The Eagles put the Midwest on notice by trouncing fellow Midwestern power Western Reserve Academy, 17-2.

Senior Johns Hopkins signee Gabe Sorichetti racked up five goals and two assists, pushing his season stat line to 49 goals and 26 assists.
Sorichetti is really good off-ball. Should do well in Crawley's offense.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Like the Dickel
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ns-e22mlvg

35 minutes of crawley with quint which is better the second half. The one big takeaway I guess is that they're focused on scoring on 1/3 of possessions plus one and that he charts silent stats offensively.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

After listening to a national forecast and then checking the computer - weather unfortunately looks like a potential looming issue. Strong storms coming across that will be in the mid atlantic by Saturday. College Park forecast for Saturday is rain starting later in the day and up to half an inch with winds that are not insignificant. That's a bummer - both teams have to play in it of course but crowds will be down.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:01 am After listening to a national forecast and then checking the computer - weather unfortunately looks like a potential looming issue. Strong storms coming across that will be in the mid atlantic by Saturday. College Park forecast for Saturday is rain starting later in the day and up to half an inch with winds that are not insignificant. That's a bummer - both teams have to play in it of course but crowds will be down.
probably helps maryland which is the more disciplined team, no?
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:29 pm Just in case the e-mail doesn't get to everybody - the Hopkins Lacrosse Advisory Board has sent out a link to a lacrosse only apparel site. Nothing earth shattering - sweatshirts/performance shirts etc. that say Hopkins Lacrosse. One thing that caught my eye is the 1/4 zip with the NAG BlueJay similar to the ones that I have seen on the coaches sometimes this year. And the team gets $5 from every order. Whatever - thought I would shoot it along - here's the address that came up when I clicked the link to look:

Link doesn't seem to work. Can you check to see if you have it right? Thanks.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:04 am
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:01 am After listening to a national forecast and then checking the computer - weather unfortunately looks like a potential looming issue. Strong storms coming across that will be in the mid atlantic by Saturday. College Park forecast for Saturday is rain starting later in the day and up to half an inch with winds that are not insignificant. That's a bummer - both teams have to play in it of course but crowds will be down.
probably helps maryland which is the more disciplined team, no?
Why do you believe Maryland is the more disciplined team?
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Who's John Harbaugh...???
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The weather doesn't favor anyone. That said, if there's a lightning delay, at least now it won't be the Jays' first rodeo.

Quint's interview with Crawley was pretty interesting. He has glowing things to say about the senior class/grad students and the leadership on the team. It sounds like a healthy, competitive culture where everyone is fully bought in. Not saying it will happen this year but that's the foundation you need to start making Final Fours again.

06 always cries that there is no local lax coverage. Well, Melendez was just on Glenn Clark Radio, Fox Baltimore did a feature from practice with interviews with PM, Degnon, and Mazzone, PressBox has a new interview with Marcille, Quint had Crawley on his podcast, Coach Harbaugh is at Cordish showing off his second-bar syndrome, and even our old pal Mike Preston is covering the team in the Sun again.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:16 am https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ns-e22mlvg

35 minutes of crawley with quint which is better the second half. The one big takeaway I guess is that they're focused on scoring on 1/3 of possessions plus one and that he charts silent stats offensively.
Not sure what this is referencing, but clearly, Hopkins is paying attention to the very important assist to turnover numbers.

limiting the number of pressured carries for certain players. Hopefully, Tillman, will force "certain" players to be an offensive islands, and increasing the number of pressured carries.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:17 am
Who's John Harbaugh...???
+1
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:53 am

Link doesn't seem to work. Can you check to see if you have it right? Thanks.
https://bsnteamsports.com/shop/jhZv8dCTjP

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”