January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:37 pm https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/30/politics ... index.html

Guy must have TDS.
We let these fools win the game of chicken for too long. Time to lock that gas pedal to the floor and drive through it.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

From the Times:

“A federal appeals court ruled on Friday that civil lawsuits seeking to hold former President Donald J. Trump accountable for the violence that erupted at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, can move forward for now, rejecting a broad assertion of immunity that Mr. Trump’s legal team had invoked to try to get the cases dismissed.

But the decision, by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, left open the possibility that Mr. Trump could still prevail in his immunity claims after he makes further arguments as to why his fiery speech to supporters near the White House on Jan. 6 should be considered an official presidential act, rather than part of his re-election campaign.

The Supreme Court has held that the Constitution gives presidents immunity from being sued over actions taken as part of their official duties, but not from suits based on private, unofficial acts. The civil cases brought against Mr. Trump have raised the question of which role he was playing at the rally he staged on Jan. 6, when he told supporters to “fight like hell” and urged them to march to the Capitol.

Essentially, the appeals court ruled that at this stage of the case, that question has yet to be definitively answered. It said Mr. Trump must be given an opportunity to present factual evidence to rebut the plaintiffs’ claims that the rally was a campaign event — scrutinizing issues like whether campaign officials had organized it and campaign funds were used to pay for it.

“Because our decision is not necessarily even the final word on the issue of presidential immunity, we of course express no view on the ultimate merits of the claims against President Trump,” Judge Sri Srinivasan wrote for the panel.

He added: “In the proceedings ahead in the district court, President Trump will have the opportunity to show that his alleged actions in the run-up to and on Jan. 6 were taken in his official capacity as president rather than in his unofficial capacity as presidential candidate.”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DC Circuit decision, denying Trump motion to dismiss civil case on the grounds of presidential immunity:

https://protectdemocracy.org/wp-content ... pinion.pdf

Pretty important opinion on an issue that will recur in the criminal cases in DC and Georgia.
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/08/us/tyran ... index.html

Too complicated to pay any attention to it. Let the dust settle.
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:15 pm https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/08/us/tyran ... index.html

Right; what’s the big deal? Our institutions — although under assault by the Cult Leader, his followers, and various retired military dotards — will hold, right?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:44 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:15 pm https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/08/us/tyran ... index.html

Right; what’s the big deal? Our institutions — although under assault by the Cult Leader, his followers, and various retired military dotards — will hold, right?
Which cult leader are you referring to? Cult leader Joe or Cult leader Don??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:08 pm

Funny joke. And they say conservative humor doesn't exist...

Of course there are countless images like those from the past 8 years. Not many from the other camp for some reason...
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:08 pm

Funny joke. And they say conservative humor doesn't exist...

Of course there are countless images like those from the past 8 years. Not many from the other camp for some reason...
I’ll be home for Christmas……

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/08/politics ... index.html
“I wish you would!”
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Jack Smith’s request for Cert before the SCOTUS on this question of Absolute Immunity, potentially bypassing a delay at the Appeals Court, looks like a master stroke. Orange Fatso’s got to be sweating bullets over this development. It’ll be VERY interesting to see if the Supremes accept the invitation, and if so, what they decide…

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:22 pm Jack Smith’s request for Cert before the SCOTUS on this question of Absolute Immunity, potentially bypassing a delay at the Appeals Court, looks like a master stroke. Orange Fatso’s got to be sweating bullets over this development. It’ll be VERY interesting to see if the Supremes accept the invitation, and if so, what they decide…

Anyone have legal opinion of likelihood of SC acting as requested and if the Nixon case is valid precedent?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

CU88a wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:15 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:22 pm Jack Smith’s request for Cert before the SCOTUS on this question of Absolute Immunity, potentially bypassing a delay at the Appeals Court, looks like a master stroke. Orange Fatso’s got to be sweating bullets over this development. It’ll be VERY interesting to see if the Supremes accept the invitation, and if so, what they decide…

Anyone have legal opinion of likelihood of SC acting as requested and if the Nixon case is valid precedent?
SC is asking Trump to respond by Dec. 20. Looks like they are taking the invite.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:47 pm
CU88a wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:15 pm

SC is asking Trump to respond by Dec. 20. Looks like they are taking the invite.
As they should -
ggait

Post by ggait »

Rudy gets dinged for his preposterous disgraceful racist lies about the Georgia election. $150 million.👏👏👍👍

I love how the size of the dust pile of history keeps getting bigger and bigger.

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine. That isn’t weaponization; it is righteousness.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I wonder what the odds are of rudee ever paying 10 cents to either of the plaintiffs? This is the creme dela creme of moral victories. Rudee will be dead and gone after the years of appeals go their course.
One thing for certain in this legal chitshow, the lawyers will make the money they need to send their kids to Harvard. :D Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Bob Ross:
njbill

Post by njbill »

Actually, if Rudolph the red nosed reindeer kicks the bucket, it might be easier for these plaintiffs to collect against his estate. But, yeah, at best they are only going to get cents on the dollar. Rudy wasn’t a trillionaire like his idol, Lord Donald of Queens.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:07 am Actually, if Rudolph the red nosed reindeer kicks the bucket, it might be easier for these plaintiffs to collect against his estate. But, yeah, at best they are only going to get cents on the dollar. Rudy wasn’t a trillionaire like his idol, Lord Donald of Queens.
You can't get blood from a stone. If Rudy doesn't have any money how do the plaintiffs get paid? That is after years and years of appeals. They certainly won a significant moral victory that will never find it's way into their bank account.
Bob Ross:
njbill

Post by njbill »

He supposedly has a fancy house in Manhattan, which I’ve heard is up for sale. What these plaintiffs will do is register their judgment in New York as soon as they can (very simple process; just paperwork), which I think is either 10 or 30 days after the judgment is entered. Can’t remember which. They then can put a lien on that house. Whether they would get paid when the house is sold depends on the house’s value and the extent of any prior liens. Don’t know any of those details.

The fact that Rudy appeals does not prevent the plaintiffs from going after his assets during the appeal, although Rudy can avoid having his assets attached if he posts a supersedeas bond on appeal. I was always thrilled if my judgment debtor did that because it insured I would get paid after the appeal. Frankly, I don’t think Rudy could get a bond to cover the entire judgment, unless it is significantly reduced by the trial court or unless a friend of his has significant collateral they are willing to put up.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 am He supposedly has a fancy house in Manhattan, which I’ve heard is up for sale. What these plaintiffs will do is register their judgment in New York as soon as they can (very simple process; just paperwork), which I think is either 10 or 30 days after the judgment is entered. Can’t remember which. They then can put a lien on that house. Whether they would get paid when the house is sold depends on the house’s value and the extent of any prior liens. Don’t know any of those details.

The fact that Rudy appeals does not prevent the plaintiffs from going after his assets during the appeal, although Rudy can avoid having his assets attached if he posts a supersedeas bond on appeal. I was always thrilled if my judgment debtor did that because it insured I would get paid after the appeal. Frankly, I don’t think Rudy could get a bond to cover the entire judgment, unless it is significantly reduced by the trial court or unless a friend of his has significant collateral they are willing to put up.
But none of that means a hill of beans until the appeals process plays out. I hope these 2 ladies receive their payday at the expense of Giuliani and his big mouth. I saw that video clip where Rudy claimed they were passing around USB ports. I'll be damned if I could see anything. The one woman said she gave out a ginger bread man. I use to think Rudee was a smart lawyer. That ship apparently sailed a long time ago.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:05 am
njbill wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:07 am Actually, if Rudolph the red nosed reindeer kicks the bucket, it might be easier for these plaintiffs to collect against his estate. But, yeah, at best they are only going to get cents on the dollar. Rudy wasn’t a trillionaire like his idol, Lord Donald of Queens.
You can't get blood from a stone. If Rudy doesn't have any money how do the plaintiffs get paid? That is after years and years of appeals. They certainly won a significant moral victory that will never find it's way into their bank account.
What is your basis for saying they won’t receive any money?
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”