Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:29 am Connor Delaney article in the Sun:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

“For now though, Delaney said his objective is to pitch in however he can to help his lacrosse teammates return to the NCAA tournament. Would he return to lacrosse next spring?

“I would definitely consider it,” he said. “I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it. I’m just going to enjoy this season as much as I can and enjoy being with this group of guys and not get too far ahead of myself in that regard.”
He’s excellent. Nice story.
“I wish you would!”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:36 am

“For now though, Delaney said his objective is to pitch in however he can to help his lacrosse teammates return to the NCAA tournament. Would he return to lacrosse next spring?

“I would definitely consider it,” he said. “I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it. I’m just going to enjoy this season as much as I can and enjoy being with this group of guys and not get too far ahead of myself in that regard.”
Would be great if returned next year.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Wow, just saw the news about Rob Kavovit. Really sad. So young.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:36 am

Would be great if returned next year.
Probably depends on job opportunities or international bball opportunities.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Curious how eligibility works there...he's played three basketball seasons, and this will be his first lax season, fourth college season total. Presumably he was granted another year of eligibility for missing his most recent bball season, so by this time next year he'll have played four basketball seasons and one lax—so five total. What would make him eligible for a second lacrosse season (sixth college athletics season total)? Genuinely asking—I don't know what the rules are for multi-sport athletes. Either way would love to have him back next year. If he's this good having not played lacrosse in four years then I can only imagine how good he might be with a year of lax back under his belt in 2022.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:19 pm Curious how eligibility works there...he's played three basketball seasons, and this will be his first lax season, fourth college season total. Presumably he was granted another year of eligibility for missing his most recent bball season, so by this time next year he'll have played four basketball seasons and one lax—so five total. What would make him eligible for a second lacrosse season (sixth college athletics season total)? Genuinely asking—I don't know what the rules are for multi-sport athletes. Either way would love to have him back next year. If he's this good having not played lacrosse in four years then I can only imagine how good he might be with a year of lax back under his belt in 2022.
I counted 10 guys the other day in the game notes from the probable to play list who are either seniors or grad students. Delaney has a good start for us but I realize how expensive school is and also realize there are a lot of kids on that roster who've been working and waiting for years to see the field. we'll see.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Nice article on Connor DeSimone's switch to attack with film analysis on IL:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tack/57497
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

cory who covered lacrosse for lacrosse magazine for a very long time does a nice deep dive on milliman.

https://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2021/sprin ... -milliman/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 pm cory who covered lacrosse for lacrosse magazine for a very long time does a nice deep dive on milliman.

reword that if you could.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:15 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 pm cory who covered lacrosse for lacrosse magazine for a very long time does a nice deep dive on milliman.

Lord knows I can't understand half the stuff '06 says but I don't see anything wrong with that. A "deep dive on" something is common journalism parlance.

Nice article. Milliman is a pretty interesting guy. Has certainly paid his dues.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:03 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:15 pm

Lord knows I can't understand half the stuff '06 says but I don't see anything wrong with that. A "deep dive on" something is common journalism parlance.

Nice article. Milliman is a pretty interesting guy. Has certainly paid his dues.
"deep dive on" a person not a subject matter? you sure about that?

while i thought his chances at the job were slimmer on the setup, i expected even hop folks would be happy at the hire as time wore on.
we'll see.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Two great stories in one day. Making it easier to be a Jays fan.

Can you just imagine being Delaney? Pretty sure he can go to any playground anywhere and dominate whatever pickup game is being played. And to be able to be just pick up a stick after 3 years and be playing at this level? I'd also guess that he's pretty much excellent at whatever he does athletically. Maybe next year he can play soccer in the fall too. Not to say he doesn't work hard, but that level of natural talent is pretty rare.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:19 pm Curious how eligibility works there...he's played three basketball seasons, and this will be his first lax season, fourth college season total. Presumably he was granted another year of eligibility for missing his most recent bball season, so by this time next year he'll have played four basketball seasons and one lax—so five total. What would make him eligible for a second lacrosse season (sixth college athletics season total)? Genuinely asking—I don't know what the rules are for multi-sport athletes. Either way would love to have him back next year. If he's this good having not played lacrosse in four years then I can only imagine how good he might be with a year of lax back under his belt in 2022.
https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus- ... oronavirus
Who is eligible for an extra year of eligibility?
All current NCAA Division 1 fall and winter sports athletes
All current NCAA Division 2 fall and winter sports athletes
All current NCAA Division 3 athletes
All current NAIA fall and winter sports athletes
All current NJCAA athletes

I think this means Delaney would receive an extra year of eligibility despite whatever he does in the 2020/2021 season. So in the eyes of eligibility - he could return and play lacrosse in 2022. This apparently was a huge point of contention in college hoops. Here is it stated another way:
"The NCAA’s Division I Council voted Wednesday to grant all winter sports athletes an extra year of eligibility at their current school, no matter how many games their teams play in the coronavirus-abbreviated season, no matter how many minutes they play in them, no matter whether they’re a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior."

It is fun to read about Delaney/DeSimone and Milliman. No one would appear to give the lads much of a chance today - I saw in IL 80+% is picking Rutgers today (with reasons for sure) - this will be another coaching step for Milliman IMO. Even on the heels of only being 2-2 (with an 8 and a 6 goal margins of defeat) - the result of the Penn State game has added pages to this thread and articles about players, etc. (even QK seems ready to attend an alumni event) - as strange as it sounds the team needs to handle this tiny bit of success and come out and compete as hard as they did a week ago. Do that and it could be closer than most think.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, even without any coronavirus rules, two-sport athletes have 8 years of potential eligibility, 4 in each sport (been done plenty of times, although maybe not by Hop laxmen). So if he could find the right grad school program...

As an aside, Drew Supinski is now playing for D3 Cabrini.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Well, after today, we will have reached the halfway point of the season.

Time for a cat.

NewCat
NewCat
CE2249FA-0A08-42B5-87B7-A53E1F29054E.jpeg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Stiffy? :oops:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

really nice start so far.
-jaronski in at 2 ssdm, zinn and baskin getting a lot of run on second midfield.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Baskin giveth, and Baskin taketh away.

Not sure about that call from the refs that we tipped it out before Rut's 2nd goal. Will have to look at that again. Just knew Rutgers was going to score after that restart.

Grimes off the pipe....it's coming...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hopkins is playing great,
confident, anyway.

Yet another confident play from DeSimone.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Except for a few bad turnovers and penalties, very solid first half for the Blue Jays.

Good unselfish play on offense. Nice work with the quick slides and seamless switches on D. Blue Jays’ man-down D has been impressive.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”