Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:33 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:07 pm https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/20/us/lewis ... index.html

Someone should tell the victims that the guy was just exercising his second amendment right.
Perhaps we should enact more gun control laws and background checks that will prevent this in the future.

Oh wait...
While Robert Card was “solely responsible” for the shootings – which left 18 people dead and 13 others wounded across two scenes – the commission’s final report found the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office had probable cause to use Maine’s yellow flag law to begin the process of securing the gunman’s firearms in September 2023, the month prior to the shooting, but did not.

Additionally, the commission determined the leaders of Card’s Army Reserve Unit ignored recommendations by Card’s mental health providers to ensure weapons were removed from his home. The commanding officers also did not share with the sheriff’s office the totality of information about Card’s troubling behavior, which might have prompted them to change their approach, the report says.

“Although he might still have committed a mass shooting even if someone had managed to remove Card’s firearms before October 25, 2023,” the report says, “there were several opportunities that, if taken, might have changed the course of events.”
It’s our God given right
More laws will fix it.
Who is asking for more laws? More guns and easier access will fix it. I favor giving guns away.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:07 pm https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/20/us/lewis ... index.html

Someone should tell the victims that the guy was just exercising his second amendment right.
Perhaps we should enact more gun control laws and background checks that will prevent this in the future.

Oh wait...
While Robert Card was “solely responsible” for the shootings – which left 18 people dead and 13 others wounded across two scenes – the commission’s final report found the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office had probable cause to use Maine’s yellow flag law to begin the process of securing the gunman’s firearms in September 2023, the month prior to the shooting, but did not.

Additionally, the commission determined the leaders of Card’s Army Reserve Unit ignored recommendations by Card’s mental health providers to ensure weapons were removed from his home. The commanding officers also did not share with the sheriff’s office the totality of information about Card’s troubling behavior, which might have prompted them to change their approach, the report says.

“Although he might still have committed a mass shooting even if someone had managed to remove Card’s firearms before October 25, 2023,” the report says, “there were several opportunities that, if taken, might have changed the course of events.”
It’s our God given right
More laws will fix it.
Who is asking for more laws? More guns and easier access will fix it. I favor giving guns away.
Said no one ever. Including any sensible 2a proponent.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:05 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:01 pm More laws will fix it.
Said no one ever. Including any sensible 2a proponent.
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. - NRA CEO LaPierre
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

You think Lapierre is sensible?!

He is a lobbyist. Their job is extremes.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:08 pm You think Lapierre is sensible?!

You said no one ever said that. Then you included sensible 2a people as a sub-set. I'm a sensible 2a proponent.

Make up your mind.
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:38 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:08 pm You think Lapierre is sensible?!

You said no one ever said that. Then you included sensible 2a people as a sub-set. I'm a sensible 2a proponent.

Make up your mind.
Double speak.
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Oh wait...

It’s our God given right
More laws will fix it.
I don't think anyone is calling or has called for "more laws," whatever that means in the Kramer-Mind. I think the question presented by this report, and this unspeakable tragedy in a small city in Maine, is simply why authorities are so seemingly reluctant to intervene. The yellow flag law was in place; the Sheriff's Department (and the Army) had enough recent data on Mr. Card to act, and didn't. Reasonable gun owners are the folks who should be outraged by this sort of thing -- not just the murders but the failure to act.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:00 am

Oh wait...

It’s our God given right
More laws will fix it.
I don't think anyone is calling or has called for "more laws," whatever that means in the Kramer-Mind. I think the question presented by this report, and this unspeakable tragedy in a small city in Maine, is simply why authorities are so seemingly reluctant to intervene. The yellow flag law was in place; the Sheriff's Department (and the Army) had enough recent data on Mr. Card to act, and didn't. Reasonable gun owners are the folks who should be outraged by this sort of thing -- not just the murders but the failure to act.
Maybe ask oneself why a "yellow" flag law rather than a "red" flag law in the first place? The answer might be that the purpose of the yellow flag law is to not act rather than to act in the first place. Not that the track record of red flag laws isn't much either.

The saddest part is that 18 dead folks isn't enough to make a change. Just as 20+ dead kids and teachers in Sandy Hook CT in 2012 wasn't enough for people to act either on the national level. CT banned assault weapons totally after that shooting. Maine has not done a thing and likely won't.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Thank god. The government tried to take his machine gun. Another chapter in the story of our suicidal fetish over guns, and a daft Supreme Court:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-judge-tos ... 00067.html

A federal judge has dismissed charges against a Kansas man for possessing a machine gun, saying prosecutors failed to establish that a federal ban on owning such weapons is constitutional.

The decision by U.S. District Judge John Broomes in Wichita on Wednesday appeared to mark the first time a court has held that banning machine guns is unconstitutional after the conservative-majority U.S. Supreme Court in 2022 issued a landmark ruling that expanded gun rights.

In that ruling, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, the Supreme Court established a new test for assessing firearms laws, saying restrictions must be "consistent with this nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation."

The Supreme Court clarified that standard in June as it upheld a ban on people subject to domestic violence restraining orders having guns, saying a modern firearms restriction needs only a "historical analogue," not a "historical twin," to be valid.

Broomes, an appointee of Republican then-President Donald Trump, said prosecutors in Tamori Morgan's case failed to identify such a historical analogue to support charging him with violating the machine gun ban.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

Thank god. The government - having tried and failed to do its job by using law enforcement, the judicial process, and imposition of severe punishment for convicted violent criminal behavior - left it to good guys with a gun to take a guy out. Video below from last Wednesday in Philadelphia.

Another chapter in our suicidal fetish to fixate on the 99.99% of gun owners who are lawfully, peacefully, and responsibly owning and utilizing their gazillion firearms is writ large. In related news, the government is actively seeking ways to charge and punish the 99.99% for their sick fetish. Warning: Video shows explicit violence.

https://x.com/DarkCrimesMattr/status/18 ... 2361897292

The CDC and Surgeon General are figuring out how the deceased as well as the "good guys with guns" who intervened in the video can be added to the statistic of "guns are the leading cause of death of 'children' in America". They will figure out a way soon, as the three good guys will likely not live to see their 20th birthdays, according to sources close to the investigation, because of the danger of their good works on behalf of society, and the local neighborhoods they protect.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, the midweek numbers of shootings during DNC week were a relatively tame 25. Rookie numbers, but we'll have to check in Monday morning when the weekend tally has been added:

:roll:
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's right, Waffle, hide all those guns you've got cuz big gubmint wants to grab 'em all.
Never worried for a quarter of a second about big gubmit coming to grab my guns, punish
me for being a responsible gun owner.....and it's never happened (and won't).
2A, baby!!!! Load the militia up with any and all guns, nothing off limits.
Oh, and DON'T TREAD ON ME, B*I*T*C*H!!!!!
Typical Lax Dad

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:25 am Thank god. The government - having tried and failed to do its job by using law enforcement, the judicial process, and imposition of severe punishment for convicted violent criminal behavior - left it to good guys with a gun to take a guy out. Video below from last Wednesday in Philadelphia.

Another chapter in our suicidal fetish to fixate on the 99.99% of gun owners who are lawfully, peacefully, and responsibly owning and utilizing their gazillion firearms is writ large. In related news, the government is actively seeking ways to charge and punish the 99.99% for their sick fetish. Warning: Video shows explicit violence.

The CDC and Surgeon General are figuring out how the deceased as well as the "good guys with guns" who intervened in the video can be added to the statistic of "guns are the leading cause of death of 'children' in America". They will figure out a way soon, as the three good guys will likely not live to see their 20th birthdays, according to sources close to the investigation, because of the danger of their good works on behalf of society, and the local neighborhoods they protect.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, the midweek numbers of shootings during DNC week were a relatively tame 25. Rookie numbers, but we'll have to check in Monday morning when the weekend tally has been added:

We need to do something about the supply of guns and easy access in Chicago.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:01 am
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:25 am Thank god. The government - having tried and failed to do its job by using law enforcement, the judicial process, and imposition of severe punishment for convicted violent criminal behavior - left it to good guys with a gun to take a guy out. Video below from last Wednesday in Philadelphia.

We need to do something about the supply of guns and easy access in Chicago.
How about participation trophies for everyone charged with possession of an illegal weapon? If you desire to participate in crime you might as well be rewarded somehow. I mean going to jail has already been taken off of the table. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
WaffleTwineFaceoff

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:29 am That's right, Waffle, hide all those guns you've got cuz big gubmint wants to grab 'em all.
Never worried for a quarter of a second about big gubmit coming to grab my guns, punish
me for being a responsible gun owner.....and it's never happened (and won't).
2A, baby!!!! Load the militia up with any and all guns, nothing off limits.
Oh, and DON'T TREAD ON ME, B*I*T*C*H!!!!!
Oh, got it, it's just my militia fixated and paranoia addled brain that is imagining and self-gaslighting regarding the concrete and anecdotal evidence before my very eyes and ears. Nothing to see there! Luckily, I have a double session today with my therapist. I'll see if we can go Freud-ier and Jungian-ier than ever before, and get my meds upped considerably. :lol:
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes siree, the concrete and anecdotal evidence is before your very eyes to the tune of about four-hundred million and counting.
2A, baby, arm 'em up. I'd love to see the militia in action, Company Fustercluck at the ready sir, all armed up and ready to go.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:47 am Yes siree, the concrete and anecdotal evidence is before your very eyes to the tune of about four-hundred million and counting.
2A, baby, arm 'em up. I'd love to see the militia in action, Company Fustercluck at the ready sir, all armed up and ready to go.
Was telling my French friends about the number of guns in America and how many kids die from gun violence. They were stunned…then joked about how poorly we competed in the shooting competition at the Olympics. Suggest the American use a 3 barrel gun from the military museum. We have completely lost our minds over “guns”.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sure have, good thing we've got people like Waffle to keep their eyes on things and ensure we can get all the guns we want with little or no difficulty. Militia's gonna knock those Apachies out of the sky when fit hits the shan.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:56 pm Sure have, good thing we've got people like Waffle to keep their eyes on things and ensure we can get all the guns we want with little or no difficulty. Militia's gonna knock those Apachies out of the sky when fit hits the shan.
That is what makes America great. Easy access to a product in which the only purpose is to kill.
“I wish you would!”
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:24 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:47 am Yes siree, the concrete and anecdotal evidence is before your very eyes to the tune of about four-hundred million and counting.
Was telling my French friends about the number of guns in America and how many kids die from gun violence. They were stunned…then joked about how poorly we competed in the shooting competition at the Olympics. Suggest the American use a 3 barrel gun from the military museum. We have completely lost our minds over “guns”.
Did you and your French friends unpack "criminal versus law abiding" in the kids & gun violence dumpster fire?

While our leaders and the press and paid lobbyists fixate attention on the delivery of shopworn talking points designed to energize and enervate their respective bases and desired narratives, the kids and communities we COULD help are rarely more than an afterthought. And the unredeemable monsters who we SHOULD lock up and throw away the keys on - are spinning through the turnstiles of justice back into the streets to continue their violent carnage faster than the ink drying on their arrest reports.

Regarding the latter above, thank goodness we have politicians willing to say it like it is!

“We have predators on our streets that society has in fact, in part because of its neglect, created. They are beyond the pale many of those people. It’s a sad commentary on society. We have no choice but to take them out of society. This cadre of young people, tens of thousands of them, born out of wedlock, without parents, without supervision, without any structure, without any conscience developing because they literally have not been socialized. We should focus on them now because if we don’t a portion of them will become the predators. I don't care why someone is a malefactor in society. These criminals need to be away from my mother, your husband, our families. It doesn’t matter whether or not they were deprived as a youth. It doesn’t matter whether or not they had no background that enabled them to become socialized into the fabric of society. It doesn’t matter whether or not they’re the victims of society. The end result is they’re about to knock my mother on the head with a lead pipe, shoot my sister, beat up my wife, take on my sons.” That being said, "Let's keep individuals who committed first-time offenses and non-violent crimes out of prison and instead in treatment and supervision."

"We need to take these people on. They are often connected to big drug cartels, they are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called superpredators — no conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first, we have to bring them to heel."

Anyone interested in spending rehabilitation and intervention resources to offramp the vulnerable? I sure am. Anyone interested to have our leaders fixate on taking away guns from criminals? I sure am.

Both of those things will require a shift in the narratives, and a focus of the spotlight into the dark corners where criminals live, hide, and ply the toxic doings which are tearing at the fabric of civil society.

PS: The first politician quote above is Joe Biden. The second is Hillary Clinton.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:22 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:56 pm Sure have, good thing we've got people like Waffle to keep their eyes on things and ensure we can get all the guns we want with little or no difficulty. Militia's gonna knock those Apachies out of the sky when fit hits the shan.
That is what makes America great. Easy access to a product in which the only purpose is to kill.
Only purpose? Beg to differ. And PS, have you every actually purchased a firearm? There is actually some purposeful difficulty involved in the process.
Last edited by WaffleTwineFaceoff on Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”