Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by wgdsr »

5000 posts goes to mdlax. and the rest of you guys, really. coming on the heels of a b1g win? coincidence?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:33 pm doc I really hope you submit a fan appreciation video for this weeks pregame show.
Heh ... after you. :P

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxfam20057 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:39 pm Anyone know what is going on with Grimes ? Shooting a hot .067 %. Starting 4 out of 4 game with 1 points. Time for the bench ??
Grimes is doing fine. He’s making good decisions. Taking high-percentage shots. Avoiding (for the most part) costly turnovers.

His teammates need to work harder in generating opportunities for him. Grimes hasn’t pressed things but he has shown flashes of his potential. It’s just a matter of time and practice before his shots begin to fall.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:03 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:52 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 am 2019 rutgers/hop game notes "adam c had 9 goals in his second season as a student and first as a student athlete-in 2016"
What's your point - kid had back to back ACLs - people who have had Chris Boland in their house should not throw stones - glad to see him out there - he's a terrific player and an unbelievable shooter - would not come off him for anyone coming down the middle - time and room means turn and rake and he doesn't need much time or room unfortunately

And I don't mean that as any type of jab at ol #32 - he had two significant injuries and I was also glad to see him play some full years for Hopkins
I had a coach/student teacher who played ncaa ball for 7 years because of injuries, I have a lot of respect for the dedication and I saw personally what kind of character it builds. It's not a jab at adam, robbie hummels college career length is brought up all the time when people talk about his career.

quint and anish with a lot of love for the program again. Kind of confusing how they're learning we have all these highly recruited players when they covered the team for so long. Tillman comes off like a really good person as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH5tMOvO-zQ
Drying some BUDS, eh, Quint? (ok,probably another "plant" dryinn out, hanging on the cabinet knobs. rosmary for the lamb, perhaps ?)

I am going with the qstickey stuff ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

What's the breakdown on the match up this weekend? Jockeying for 2nd place in the Big 10. The Big 10 might only be a two bid league for the NCAA tourney so a win here is huge. Rutgers didn't do much better against Maryland than Hop did and their Penn State win doesn't seem as impressive now that Hopkins handled them also.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 am What's the breakdown on the match up this weekend? Jockeying for 2nd place in the Big 10. The Big 10 might only be a two bid league for the NCAA tourney so a win here is huge. Rutgers didn't do much better against Maryland than Hop did and their Penn State win doesn't seem as impressive now that Hopkins handled them also.
stationary, vertical 2 x 4, covering one of your attackman.

5 stars? :lol:

Does the mighty Hopkins not have someone on the bench that has a goal to TO (turnover) ratio, of............

Christian Quadrino is a freshman. In 3 games, he has 6 pts and 1 TO. (don't count the Pace game )

excuses ........roadmaps to the future.
produce, or perish. This is the big time....you can develop in practice. The Gaits didn't get much playing time in the first part of their rookie season. Could be wrong.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:42 pm surprised mcdermott hasn't been out there. has he seen the field?
He's had two or three runs with the second midfield but has not registered a statistic. Coach's preseason comments were that he's shown some exciting flashes but if you read between the lines the implication was sorta that he's still very much a freshman and maybe not quite ready for primetime, but that they expect him to be there either by the end of the season or next year.

It seems, in general, that Milliman has been a bit more hesitant to play the freshmen so far relative to some other programs—and that may be because of the lack of fall ball and interrupted preseason. There were captain's practices in Baltimore in the fall but not everyone was able to participate. They don't need to play Grimes—the offense has been doing okay despite his lack of production—so the fact that he is still out there despite that tells me the staff believes a breakout is imminent. I wonder if he narrative would be a bit different had he canned that shot after a nifty dodge past his man to the middle against PSU. Shot appeared to miss the cage by an inch or two. Had another rocket that Kneese made a nice save on. "Not intimidated" is a good way of putting it...he looks the part and is putting himself in the right spots and generally making the right decisions.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:03 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:42 pm surprised mcdermott hasn't been out there. has he seen the field?
He's had two or three runs with the second midfield but has not registered a statistic. Coach's preseason comments were that he's shown some exciting flashes but if you read between the lines the implication was sorta that he's still very much a freshman and maybe not quite ready for primetime, but that they expect him to be there either by the end of the season or next year.

It seems, in general, that Milliman has been a bit more hesitant to play the freshmen so far relative to some other programs—and that may be because of the lack of fall ball and interrupted preseason. There were captain's practices in Baltimore in the fall but not everyone was able to participate. They don't need to play Grimes—the offense has been doing okay despite his lack of production—so the fact that he is still out there despite that tells me the staff believes a breakout is imminent. I wonder if he narrative would be a bit different had he canned that shot after a nifty dodge past his man to the middle against PSU. Shot appeared to miss the cage by an inch or two. Had another rocket that Kneese made a nice save on. "Not intimidated" is a good way of putting it...he looks the part and is putting himself in the right spots and generally making the right decisions.
geez.....thousands of good/solid lacrosse players miss these shots. Mark Millon talks about this in his old, very good considering production tools, video on offense. Shooting, especially on the run, is very, very hard. It is.

not surprised....with mindsets like "good loses" and pathetic lax RPI............we handing out awards for missing shots, b/c they were close :lol:
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

random observer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:03 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Laxfam20057 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:39 pm Anyone know what is going on with Grimes ? Shooting a hot .067 %. Starting 4 out of 4 game with 1 points. Time for the bench ??
I am pretty sure nothing is "going on" with Grimes other than he is a freshman with little practice and he is finding his way amongst a starting six of a grad student - 2 seniors - a junior and a sophomore. I have pointed out too that as a team it is difficult to accept a starting attackman with only 1 goal in 4 games but - as I think HF16 has pointed out - there has been more aggressiveness and small signs of progress. What's the alternative? Everyone appears to be pretty happy with Cole as a middie soooo.... I guess you could move Keogh or Angelus back to attack but what are the ramifications of that? One thing I am pretty sure - the kid can sling it - so if they start to fall the team gets better. I really don't know the answer to this question but other than O'Neill - have alot of freshmen been making noise - I have a sense the interruptions of practice have impacted that class' normal effect.
Here's a quick accounting of the 2020 5 star attack so far. Not the most favorable comparison for Grimes, but I think he's too talented not to figure it out as long as he stays healthy:

1. Brennan O'Neill/Duke -- Started day 1, lighting it up (22G, 5A in 8 games)
2. Owen Hiltz/Syracuse -- moved into the starting lineup after the Army game, also killing it (12G, 4A in 4 games)
4. Brendan Grimes/Hopkins-- slow start, but has shown flashes (1G, 0A in 4 games)
7. Eric Malever/Maryland -- playing second line middle and starting to turn it on (1G, 4A in 4 games)
9. CJ Kirst/Cornell-- Cornell not playing this year
14. Casey McDermott/Hopkins -- seeing limited time at middie, so hard to get a read
18. TJ Haley/Georgetown -- started day 1, great feeder still finding his scoring game (3G, 18A in 5 games)
19. Daniel Kelly/Maryland -- seeing limited time at middle, so hard to get a read(0G, 1A in 4 games)
21. Sam King/Harvard -- Harvard not playing yet
22. Michael Boehm/Michigan -- started day 1, looking solid (8G, 5A in 4 games)
I wonder if a Kirst and King stay at their respective schools next year or their entire time at Cornell/Harvard. When the Ivy canceled the season did they mention anything about allowing kids to play as grad students. If not, gotta think those 2 (and others) will be on the market in 3 years. It makes the decision by most of players on the Princeton's women's team taking a semester off seem like a great idea.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:18 am

geez.....thousands of good/solid lacrosse players miss these shots. Mark Millon talks about this in his old, very good considering production tools, video on offense. Shooting, especially on the run, is very, very hard. It is.

not surprised....with mindsets like "good loses" and pathetic lax RPI............we handing out awards for missing shots, b/c they were close :lol:
Aren't you the shooting percentage guy? Have you taken a look at the top 3 scorers for JHU this season and their shooting percentage? Cole freaking Williams is shooting over 40%.

I watched Grimes for a couple possessions in the 1st half vs. PSU. He looked pretty stationary which makes me think he's not really comfortable with the offense yet. Also, when he swept left handed, he didn't initiate any contact with his defender and took a wide arc that precluded him from shooting. Good decision not to shoot, but need to find a way to get a better look at the cage.

Shooting on the run is hard. In 2019 Brendan Curry was going through a shooting slump. He couldn't hit the cage. He's shooting 50% this season. It makes sense to let those guys keep shooting and figure it out. Sometimes a small technique correction can help. For Grimes, it might just be getting used to college lacrosse. It's hard to get used to it on the bench.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 am

Aren't you the shooting percentage guy? Have you taken a look at the top 3 scorers for JHU this season and their shooting percentage? Cole freaking Williams is shooting over 40%.

I watched Grimes for a couple possessions in the 1st half vs. PSU. He looked pretty stationary which makes me think he's not really comfortable with the offense yet. Also, when he swept left handed, he didn't initiate any contact with his defender and took a wide arc that precluded him from shooting. Good decision not to shoot, but need to find a way to get a better look at the cage.

Shooting on the run is hard. In 2019 Brendan Curry was going through a shooting slump. He couldn't hit the cage. He's shooting 50% this season. It makes sense to let those guys keep shooting and figure it out. Sometimes a small technique correction can help. For Grimes, it might just be getting used to college lacrosse. It's hard to get used to it on the bench.
Yes, very much a shooting percentage guy.....

why I brought up the Boston U freshman.....shooting at a 70% clip. Don't see his name, at all, on in$waG lacro$$e.

nay.....someone needs to get into it with Grimes on the Homewood practice field. Little aggression goes a long way.

Kid is too good to be this soft......go to the rack.....the call it "attack" person for a reason.

Otherwize, you are just an "inhome" tree stump swing it guy........... maybe, land in the crease after taking a shot.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:43 am

why I brought up the Boston U freshman.....shooting at a 70% clip. Don't see his name, at all, on in$waG lacro$$e.

nay.....someone needs to get into it with Grimes on the Homewood practice field. Little aggression goes a long way.

Kid is too good to be this soft......go to the rack.....the call it "attack" person for a reason.

Otherwize, you are just an "inhome" tree stump swing it guy........... maybe, land in the crease after taking a shot.
I think in a motion offense, like JHU is running, there is a responsibility on each player to play aggressive and smart, and the best motion offenses balance those two things. Grimes is leaning too far towards smart and not making mistakes. I'd like to see him work harder off ball to generate shots for himself and others.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I generally lean towards let’s see what the next guy can do if the player on the field isn’t producing but in this case I say keep running Grimes out there. He just needs one or two to fall and I think he will be fine.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Grimes is a bit like Tyler Buchner, freshman QB for Notre Dame. Due to various circumstances (e.g., injuries, pandemic), neither played as much in high school as one might have wanted. The natural talent and potential is obvious, but more than most freshmen, they need the time and reps to catch up in their development.

In terms of actual game experience, Grimes might be closer to a HS junior than a college freshman. Add that to learning a new role (no longer the top gun, but a supporting player) in a new system that the entire team is learning and, well ... I think Grimes is doing fine.

Time and reps ... that’s what he needs at this point.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
random observer

Post by random observer »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:18 pm

Grimes is a bit like Tyler Buchner, freshman QB for Notre Dame. Due to various circumstances (e.g., injuries, pandemic), neither played as much in high school as one might have wanted. The natural talent and potential is obvious, but more than most freshmen, they need the time and reps to catch up in their development.

In terms of actual game experience, Grimes might be closer to a HS junior than a college freshman. Add that to learning a new role (no longer the top gun, but a supporting player) in a new system that the entire team is learning and, well ... I think Grimes is doing fine.

DocBarrister 8-)
Fun fact, Buchner was a big time lacrosse recruit before he committed to the football route. Probably would have been the top overall recruit in the class of 2021 had he stuck with lax.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

is schilling off emo?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:16 pm is schilling off emo?
Looked like he was there last game.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:49 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:43 am

I think in a motion offense, like JHU is running, there is a responsibility on each player to play aggressive and smart, and the best motion offenses balance those two things. Grimes is leaning too far towards smart and not making mistakes. I'd like to see him work harder off ball to generate shots for himself and others.
Smart ;)

Baltimore lexicon for soft. :D

Could buy that, but in the last game, he took 6 shots (about to watch the game ), had 1 gb and 1 TO. zero points. If he is missing shots, that is on him. Baltimore close down fields with nets on them, to practice solitary shooting?

There literally is NO ONE playing college lacrosse, that got better by just participating in a team practice atmosphere. You can Berkmann shooting drill yourself to death in a team practice atmosphere. As great as some of them are, they still aren't YOU or your style shooting. And, you still get more reps when by yourself.

Has he taken a strong hand question mark shot yet ? Or even a rocker? driving right side? If not, why not.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

random observer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:18 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
Fun fact, Buchner was a big time lacrosse recruit before he committed to the football route. Probably would have been the top overall recruit in the class of 2021 had he stuck with lax.
Yes, heard about that. Buchner may be (possibly) the most naturally gifted QB Notre Dame has had in a while. We will see ....

Can’t understand why he would give up on a $30,000 salary in the PLL for a shot at the NFL.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Connor Delaney article in the Sun:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

“For now though, Delaney said his objective is to pitch in however he can to help his lacrosse teammates return to the NCAA tournament. Would he return to lacrosse next spring?

“I would definitely consider it,” he said. “I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it. I’m just going to enjoy this season as much as I can and enjoy being with this group of guys and not get too far ahead of myself in that regard.”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”