Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
enterprise

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by enterprise »

another fan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:22 pm Anybody know how many goals total were man down and how many of those were on nonreleaseable penalties
DU scored 5 man-up, at least 4 on NR penalties. I was at the game. Don't ask me to explain why any of the penalties were NR. I have been watching lacrosse for over 50 years and I have never seen anything like the officiating in this game. Except in middle school games.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

a fan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:35 pm FWIW, according to the box score, Brian Abbott was reffing the game, one of the most experienced refs out there. President of the NILOA....the Collegiate referees' association.

Can't speak to the fouls, as i was just listening to the game.
I am shocked and amazed that someone of Mr. Abbott's experience was an on field official, given some of the calls. He has been at it for 25 years and he is from MD. Maybe he, too, was affected by the altitude.
renault

Post by renault »

enterprise wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:29 pm
another fan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:22 pm Anybody know how many goals total were man down and how many of those were on nonreleaseable penalties
DU scored 5 man-up, at least 4 on NR penalties. I was at the game. Don't ask me to explain why any of the penalties were NR. I have been watching lacrosse for over 50 years and I have never seen anything like the officiating in this game. Except in middle school games.
It seems like the only place you see good officiating these days is at high school games played on Long Island.
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

PSA: If you bought the stream, don't forget to cancel.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I wonder if refs in Denver are so used to being questioned by Bill Tierney that Cornell's mild mannered and polite coaches are at a disadvantage....
molo

Post by molo »

Sorry to hear about Jack. Hope he recovers quickly.
I usually discount complaints about officiating, but the I learned who the lead officiating was.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

mountainred wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:00 pm PSA: If you bought the stream, don't forget to cancel.
I am so glad I didn't buy this.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

CU77 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:38 pm
ChadCascadden wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:24 pm Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Jack tore his left ACL in Thursday practice. Freak injury. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just plant, cut, boom. As you can imagine he’s gutted by it all.
Argh! So sorry to hear that! So tough on these young men who work so hard and then bad luck strikes. Best wishes to Jack for a full recovery as soon as possible.
Is his season over? Great athlete and a terrific young man.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Not a banner weekend for Cornell sports. The lax team gets jobbed in Denver, the hockey team loses to Clarkson in OT after giving up the tying goal with 25 seconds left and is losing to St. Lawrence tonight, and the hoops team beat Yale last night to take first place in the Ivies only to lose to Brown at home tonight.......
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Cornell played hard but it is very difficult to win on the road.
I hate to ever blame reffing as I am a big believer in that it all evens out in the end.
They obviously miss Adler, as these were the types of games where if you needed one big play, one ground ball, one stop, that dude made it.
Give Denver credit. They never quit and took full advantage of everything that went their way.
Tuesdays weather is actually looking very good for Hobart.

And by the way, I just got back from the basketball game where the Big Red after taking over sole 1st place last night with a huge win over Yale, LOST tonight to Brown and fell back into a 1st place tie.

Tough day to be a Cornell fan.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
ChadCascadden

Post by ChadCascadden »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm
ChadCascadden wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:24 pm Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Jack tore his left ACL in Thursday practice. Freak injury. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just plant, cut, boom. As you can imagine he’s gutted by it all.
Argh! So sorry to hear that! So tough on these young men who work so hard and then bad luck strikes. Best wishes to Jack for a full recovery as soon as possible.
Unfortunately yes.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:44 pm Not a banner weekend for Cornell sports. The lax team gets jobbed in Denver, the hockey team loses to Clarkson in OT after giving up the tying goal with 25 seconds left and is losing to St. Lawrence tonight, and the hoops team beat Yale last night to take first place in the Ivies only to lose to Brown at home tonight.......
If there is a silver lining in the loss to Denver, it's that we played man down for almost a full quarter, and still were competitive. If highly diplomatic posters like Enterprise, Another Fan and 10 Stone 5 are complaining ( something like a century and a half of lacrosse expertise there), it's a legitimate set of questions.
mfp

Post by mfp »

First, tons of Big Red love to Jack. That’s brutal. Best wishes to him for a full physical and emotional recovery. As another poster said, be patient and try to see the big picture of life (usually easier said than done).

The main points about the game have been covered. I was at the game and had the feeling that Cornell could break the game open and run away with a comfortable win. Cornell was better (not massively better but slightly and consistently better). The loss came down to penalties (hard for me to judge without replay and also hearing/seeing whatever the refs experienced) and faceoffs. Huge credit to Psyllos and Petrakis who were (if my math is correct) *winning* the faceoff battle through three quarters. And huge credit to Denver’s FOGO for a dominant 4th quarter. DU doesn’t win without that performance.

Having said all of this, the game is a full four quarters and the refs’ imperfections are part of that. DU showed in week one (week zero?) with an almost unbelievable comeback against Hopkins and again today that they are resilient until the end. They have found ways to win. It doesn’t matter if they “deserve it” or not. They may be living dangerously but they are 4-0.
Bigredlax2010

Post by Bigredlax2010 »

I try to keep my heart out of it, but how do they throw the Big Red in for multiple non-releasables but miss Denver #2 literally cross check our goalie in the back? Denver fans can “claim” it didn’t happen, problem is some of us spent $8.95 to watch this and listen to Bill Tierney who is one of the biggest cry baby coaches in the sport. New actually posting here but will try and attach the screenshots,

And before you tell me that there is a lot going on….. this was a dead ball where #2 decided he was a little punk and to cross check our goalie in the back. Let him do it in a pick up game and see what happens. Especially since the refs decided they would miss it twice today?!?!?!?
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

As referenced in my post yesterday, I would like to know if "high hits" now translate to 2 minute unreleasble penalties. If this is the case, I'm sure its been sanctioned from "above," given the sensitivity to head/neck injuries.
In the past, you only saw the 2 minute on flagrant hits. Is this now the norm, or was yesterday a bit of an outlier (aka "screw job")? Unfortunately, given the lack of replays, I was unable to judge the severity of any of the Cornell hits in real time. I'll go back and watch.
What I do know is that I've watched several game this season and have not seen an across-the-board interpretation of what we saw yesterday.

Adding insult to injury to Cornell fans is the irony of sorts of having Kirst called on an unsportsmanlike call (resulting in the last of the 2 man down EMOs), after he's cross-checked on the crease circle.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Bigredlax2010 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:46 am I try to keep my heart out of it, but how do they throw the Big Red in for multiple non-releasables but miss Denver #2 literally cross check our goalie in the back? Denver fans can “claim” it didn’t happen, problem is some of us spent $8.95 to watch this and listen to Bill Tierney who is one of the biggest cry baby coaches in the sport. New actually posting here but will try and attach the screenshots,

And before you tell me that there is a lot going on….. this was a dead ball where #2 decided he was a little punk and to cross check our goalie in the back. Let him do it in a pick up game and see what happens. Especially since the refs decided they would miss it twice today?!?!?!?
Tierney was fine. The play-by-play guy was just horrible. Tierney gave equal praise to plays and players on both teams throughout the broadcast. Of course there's homerism, what would anyone expect as his team (just one year out) came back to steal a win.

The pbp dude gave no indication of what the numerous penalties were or why they were flagged. His lack of understanding the game led to a lot of dead air and as if he forgot he was doing radio and those listening could actually see what was happening.

So I'd be really curious to see clips of the game that show the controversial calls and non-calls.

It seems as though Big Red fans have a legit gripe?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:37 am
Bigredlax2010 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:46 am I try to keep my heart out of it, but how do they throw the Big Red in for multiple non-releasables but miss Denver #2 literally cross check our goalie in the back? Denver fans can “claim” it didn’t happen, problem is some of us spent $8.95 to watch this and listen to Bill Tierney who is one of the biggest cry baby coaches in the sport. New actually posting here but will try and attach the screenshots,

Tierney was fine. The play-by-play guy was just horrible. Tierney gave equal praise to plays and players on both teams throughout the broadcast. Of course there's homerism, what would anyone expect as his team (just one year out) came back to steal a win.

The pbp dude gave no indication of what the numerous penalties were or why they were flagged. His lack of understanding the game led to a lot of dead air and as if he forgot he was doing radio and those listening could actually see what was happening.

So I'd be really curious to see clips of the game that show the controversial calls and non-calls.

It seems as though Big Red fans have a legit gripe?
11 years of being on Lax Power and Fan Lax, I've never seen Big Red fans seriously complaining about refs like this.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I'm not complaining about the refs BUT I have been attending Cornell games and watching Cornell games for WOW, 50 years now, and I think this was the most minutes in a game, I have ever seen the Red play a man or 2, down.
Their penalty minutes must have equated to near a full quarter.
These are the obstacles and tough situations that you face when your a road team, and tough teams gut it out, and weak teams wilt.
The Red played as tough and hard as they could given all the adversity.
Losing by 1 to a top5 team on the road is an awesome test, but as I have said before, their is no such thing as a "good" loss. Any loss sucks.
On to Hobart Tuesday night in the friendly confines of the Kopf, with Temps forecast in the 50's, with some rain.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ChadCascadden wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:02 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm
Unfortunately yes.
So sorry to hear about your son's season ending injury.
Selfishly speaking, we lose a great FOGO, but unselfishly, we wish a full recovery for Jack, and his health is much more important than this crazy game we all love.
Our other FOGO'S are more than capable and just need to step up with Jack's loss.

Will Jack now get a medical Red shirt, and preserve another year of eligibility?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:31 pm it's that we played man down for almost a full quarter
And 2-men down for a decent-sized portion of that.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”