The Independent State Legislature Doctrine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
thatsmell

Re: SCOTUS

Post by thatsmell »

Kavanaugh wants a “fair process” and to “hear from both sides at a bare minimum to clear his name.”
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Did he really bring the wife to the interview? Did he have to choose Fox, the State News Organization?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Grassley knows all. Moreover, he's is in complete control of the process. Not the Senate Judiciary approval process. Rather the s'mores campfire making process. The one he learned at his grandma's knee.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chuck-g ... s%20Select
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:There was a report of a 4th accuser in Maryland going to the Montgomery County Police and filing a complaint this morning by the Montgomery County Sentinel. That story seems to have been edited late this afternoon to only include statements from the police as to what they are hypothetically prepared to do if someone presents a complaint. No names or other details given. The woman came to the Montgomery County Police over the weekend. The meaning of this could be anything given the papers walkback this afternoon.
Current Montgomery County Police Press Release. Seems almost like a solicitation asking for anyone who has been assualted to come forward.
The Sentinel report it turns out was based on a police leak/tip. Speculation has it this set of events means that Ford is going to file charges, in Maryland and is waiting until later in the week, probably Thursday. There was no independent 4th accuser.

We will see.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

bandito youve got a decent point with the ellison story- but your delivery made it such that everyone ignored/discounted it.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

so what do we think about feinstein- obstructionist???

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fe ... 5f8f9e4545
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote:Did he really bring the wife to the interview? Did he have to choose Fox, the State News Organization?
This is all about bucking up the base. Not going to change the minds he needs to change on Fox News. The 4 unreliable Rs are listening to the people at home and their own conscience/self preservation instinct. No one is talking, but I think he has already lost the two women if Ford has a reasonable appearance. If Ford has a reasonable appearance, not a single D will defect, and that is the ball game.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:There was a report of a 4th accuser in Maryland going to the Montgomery County Police and filing a complaint this morning by the Montgomery County Sentinel. That story seems to have been edited late this afternoon to only include statements from the police as to what they are hypothetically prepared to do if someone presents a complaint. No names or other details given. The woman came to the Montgomery County Police over the weekend. The meaning of this could be anything given the papers walkback this afternoon.
Current Montgomery County Police Press Release. Seems almost like a solicitation asking for anyone who has been assualted to come forward.
The Sentinel report it turns out was based on a police leak/tip. Speculation has it this set of events means that Ford is going to file charges, in Maryland and is waiting until later in the week, probably Thursday. There was no independent 4th accuser.

We will see.
I thought about the possibility of her filing charges last week. Another example of the White House not doing its due diligence. Could have been handled much better had they gotten out in front of it..... amateurs.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:so what do we think about feinstein- obstructionist???

Is it obstruction or well founded reason?? I know the opinion of Faux News and the ditto heads. Feinstein is the great villain. I think not. Reasonable reaction if you wish to include the second women in the hearings.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:bandito youve got a decent point with the ellison story- but your delivery made it such that everyone ignored/discounted it.
Yup, Frito is casting stones. Obviously he and his ilk are without sin in his own eyes, but no need to reply directly.

That being said let's investigate, I'm all for it. Even Democrats are suggesting it should be investigated, countering Frito's comments.

You've had Democrats and Republicans step down after accusations, especially during the height of the MeToo movement (and some who haven't, like Roy Moore). It would be interesting to see who has been accused vs who has stepped down and break it down via party line, number of accusations and more to see if there is any correlation.

There is also the slim fraction of accusations that are false, further hurting actual victims and the accused alike. Just as with the Kavanaugh case, we should try to get as much information as possible before bringing out the pitchforks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

holmes435 wrote:
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:bandito youve got a decent point with the ellison story- but your delivery made it such that everyone ignored/discounted it.
Yup, Frito is casting stones. Obviously he and his ilk are without sin in his own eyes, but no need to reply directly.

That being said let's investigate, I'm all for it. Even Democrats are suggesting it should be investigated, countering Frito's comments.

You've had Democrats and Republicans step down after accusations, especially during the height of the MeToo movement (and some who haven't, like Roy Moore). It would be interesting to see who has been accused vs who has stepped down and break it down via party line, number of accusations and more to see if there is any correlation.

There is also the slim fraction of accusations that are false, further hurting actual victims and the accused alike. Just as with the Kavanaugh case, we should try to get as much information as possible before bringing out the pitchforks.
I suspect we'd find no difference in the rate of various forms of abuse by powerful men whether D's or R's.

Where I do think there is a difference is in the reaction of fellow party members to the allegations. R's have been far more likely to have been full-throated deniers on behalf of the accused when one of their own, while D's have been far more likely to have called for their fellow party members to resign, etc.

I don't know whether this has been because R's are actually more likely to include large numbers of misogynists (maybe) or because the R's have this fundamental problem of Trump and his problems in this regard. If Trump was (still) a D would they have the same posture? I'm thinking Trump is the bigger issue, but I could be mistaken.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

jhu72 wrote:
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:so what do we think about feinstein- obstructionist???

Is it obstruction or well founded reason?? I know the opinion of Faux News and the ditto heads. Feinstein is the great villain. I think not. Reasonable reaction if you wish to include the second women in the hearings.
i thought about that- do the reasons matter, and i guess here that is the distinction.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

to me- i dont really care whether the associates of the guilty are feeling contemptuous or not.

i think we shouldnt have immoral/dishonest candidates in office. just because their brethren are quicker to condemn- or condemn at all- still leaves you with the same conclusion: power-corrupted politicians elected to office.

the rest is just empty words, and degrees or worse-ness.
Typical Lax Dad

Anybody seen Mark Judge?
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/busi ... enate.html

Another Kavanaugh supporter finds she was hoodwinked. She signed a letter of support, then realized he’d slimed her in their yearbook, suggested she was promiscuous.
Last edited by Trinity on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Typical Lax Dad

Trinity wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/busi ... enate.html

Another Kavanaugh supporter finds she was hoodwinked. Nice guy, Brett.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/busi ... enate.html
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

It’s behind the paywall. Anyway, more of Brett’s lifelong support for women.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait

Post by ggait »

Speculation has it this set of events means that Ford is going to file charges, in Maryland and is waiting until later in the week, probably Thursday.
I was wondering if the Ford team was going to play this card. There's no MD statute of limitations on serious sex assault charges. So filing a complaint with MD authorities could trigger an official investigation. Given the elapsed time, odds would be against a prosecution ever happening. But a perfect smackdown of Grassley's stonewalling an FBI investigation.

Grassley is completely lost. He keeps giving ultimatums to Ford on the assumption that he's got leverage just because he is an old fart Senator. You'd think that eventually he'd figure out that Ford owns him in this situation, but he can't stop digging the hole deeper. I guess he missed the memo about #metoo.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I vehemently disagree with the NYT story. There was a major error in it. I was in fact the “Secretary of the Keg City Club,” not Brett Kavanaugh.

:lol:

But seriously, A new standard has been set. Whoever becomes the next scotus nominee/(insert public office here) is now subject to a complete media colonoscopy and even subject to guesses about inside jokes made 35 years ago. I’m much younger than Kavanaugh and I’m not sure I can recall much of those h/s jokes. Even the good ones.

A serious question- How far back do we now get to go to determine what behaviors are disqualifying for our public officials?

Should we be judging people who grew up in a completely different period by today’s standard?

My wife says its all fair game. Given the presidents behavior, I’m sure the #resistance crowd agrees...until it’s their candidate in question in 2020.

I don’t really know the answer. IMO, If this is the new standard, we need to kick out most of the incumbents and we need to rewrite a LOT of history.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “POLITICS”