Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Live Game Action

Post by DMac »

No, no, and no on the proposed changes. The inconsistency in officiating would have a girl out for half a game, and maybe the next one, by one crew and get maybe one yellow by the next crew. On top of that, would you really want to see a team play with one or two fewer players on the field for half the game or more? As Justalaxdad said, enter flopping as an even bigger part of the game than it is, the WWE wrestlers would be taking lessons from the wlaxers in no time. Things are fine the way they are, just enforce the rules and be consistent with it.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I won't pay for Big10, so did not see NW vs. SBU ... anyone care to give some analysis?

From the stats it seems like a slug-fest (no surprise) and NW just used speed of play/ball movement to beat the SBU zone. SBU +6 on TOs, the NW goalie had a good night, and Masera needs a supporting cast in the attacking end. Am I close?
Bart

Post by Bart »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:28 am I won't pay for Big10, so did not see NW vs. SBU ... anyone care to give some analysis?

From the stats it seems like a slug-fest (no surprise) and NW just used speed of play/ball movement to beat the SBU zone. SBU +6 on TOs, the NW goalie had a good night, and Masera needs a supporting cast in the attacking end. Am I close?
That seems to cover it from my recollection. Physical.

What you said about Masera could be said about Scane but NW may have more depth there.

Both these teams will be a rough out at the end if they stay healthy.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:00 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:28 am I won't pay for Big10, so did not see NW vs. SBU ... anyone care to give some analysis?

What you said about Masera could be said about Scane but NW may have more depth there.

May have? NW has 5 times the scoring support for Scane than SB has for Masera. Masera had a few goals last night that were spectacular and at 5’3”, what a fun player to watch. Can you imagine her on a team like UNC or BC or NW???
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Masera could be easier to contain than Scane. Either push her to her left or send the slide quicker. Defending her toe to toe isn't the way.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:09 am

May have? NW has 5 times the scoring support for Scane than SB has for Masera. Masera had a few goals last night that were spectacular and at 5’3”, what a fun player to watch. Can you imagine her on a team like UNC or BC or NW???
OK. You are probably right. But I still wouldn't want to rely on one player scoring 60% of my goals in a game.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:54 am

OK. You are probably right. But I still wouldn't want to rely on one player scoring 60% of my goals in a game.
I see what you’re saying. I think when you have scorers like Scane, that tends to happen (scoring %). With NU though, I feel like it’s more of, hey if you can’t stop her…

I don’t feel like the others can’t score. We will find out for sure when they play someone who can slow Scane down (if that’s possible) - how the others step up will be telling.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

The key difference to me is that NW had 10 of 13 goals assisted vs. 1 of 8 for SBU. Doesn't matter who is finishing when you have an attack that can score off the cut like that.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Apples and oranges. Nw goals were mostly assisted. Scored by scane or not. Masera was a one woman show and it exposed the lack of depth against a good team. Lots of flops. Lots of overly aggressive play. Masera got away with one towards the end of the game. The turnovers were plenty
Second half there were more bodies on the ground than in any game I’ve watched. Stony brook will have their hands full with any decent team
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

And on a side note. There was a freshman on sbu that got hurt. Looked bad. Maybe acl? Hoping she’s ok
Bart

Post by Bart »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:59 am

The key difference to me is that NW had 10 of 13 goals assisted vs. 1 of 8 for SBU. Doesn't matter who is finishing when you have an attack that can score off the cut like that.
Fair point. 6 out of those 10 assists still went to 1 player.

Bottom line, NW played better and deserved the win.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Last night’s (and the YTD) performance by Scane makes you think about how good the Northwestern team would have been last year had she not gotten injured. Would they have won the national title? Hard to argue against that.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Louisville up 4-1 on BC with a few left in the first..
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:10 am Last night’s (and the YTD) performance by Scane makes you think about how good the Northwestern team would have been last year had she not gotten injured. Would they have won the national title? Hard to argue against that.
Well, a decent argument would be that UNC was an absolute powerhouse who had lost only one game in two years. I would've picked UNC to win it all, Scane playing for NU or not. Ms. Scane, meet Ms. Nalls...oh, and good luck. We'll never know.
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:28 am
njbill wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:10 am Last night’s (and the YTD) performance by Scane makes you think about how good the Northwestern team would have been last year had she not gotten injured. Would they have won the national title? Hard to argue against that.
Well, a decent argument would be that UNC was an absolute powerhouse who had lost only one game in two years. I would've picked UNC to win it all, Scane playing for NU or not. Ms. Scane, meet Ms. Nalls...oh, and good luck. We'll never know.
Given the big lead NU had over UNC in the semifinal game, it’s hard to believe they wouldn’t have won that game with Scane.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:34 am
DMac wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:28 am
Given the big lead NU had over UNC in the semifinal game, it’s hard to believe they wouldn’t have won that game with Scane.
That’s assuming that everything leading up to and including the big lead would’ve been exactly the same with Ms Scane on the field. You can not be certain of that. Add a player, subtract a player it all changes the dynamic.

That certainly would’ve been a game to watch.
njbill

Post by njbill »

That’s right. The lead probably would’ve been bigger. :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

M. Tyrell 1, ND 0. Lot of work for Cuse to score though.
Sweitzer throws some flat out scary outlet passes. Had to be 60+ yards...on the money but scary...just threw another one, not so smooth this time.
ND up 2-0 on draws.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, fantastic btb pass from Sweitzer (the other one) to Adamson for the goal.
2-0
3 for 3 on the draws for ND now.
Last edited by DMac on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:40 am I think when you have scorers like Scane, that tends to happen (scoring %). With NU though, I feel like it’s more of, hey if you can’t stop her…

I don’t feel like the others can’t score. We will find out for sure when they play someone who can slow Scane down (if that’s possible) - how the others step up will be telling.
Isn't slowing Scane down exactly what BC tried to do? They put a faceguard on her and kept her pretty quiet for the first half. The problem? The increased attention BC put on Scane allowed for Dylan Amonte to score 5 goals, which, I'm guessing, was predicted by no one.

Aside from Amonte, NU also has Madison Taylor, who put 5 goals on Syracuse in her first ever collegiate game, and Hailey Rhatigan, who has 300+ career points.

Even when Scane wasn't on the field because she was sidelined due to a penalty, this was happening on a very talented SB defense:

https://twitter.com/NULax/status/163436 ... 90274?s=20

It's a bit of a pick your poison situation with NU's offense. They've got some threats that I think get slept on because Izzy Scane just towers over the rest.

NU's defense did pretty well last night, too.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”