Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Recruiting

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:29 pm On the recruiting front there was two big tourneys this weekend. Both in the same place. Mid Summer Chamlionship which had one or two top teams but the larger amount of coaches there. And Maryland Cup which was a new Steps tourney in its second year that probably had the better of the top 25 teams but less coaches. At this point I would think it didn’t matter as colleges have basically seen what they need to see. This is just desert.
From the games standpoints Top dog Spallina didn’t fare too well. Was tied once by Sky Walkers and beat by Prime Time but top prospect A. Spallina didn’t play cause she was injured during the tourney. HHH had a dreadful performance. Prime Time and Steps seemed to have the best tourney.

For Mid Summer. M&D rolled through and NXT lost 1. The rest of the field was mostly out of the top 25. Mostly anyway. Wonder if M&D gets the top spot.

Not sure why I posted this other than being bored and wanting to spark something on this forum. Oh well.
I wrote about Spallina back in June with a recruiting update and basically said the same thing. Her play hasn't impressed this summer. Penzeck, Kowalski, Winkler, Lauretani, Meyn all had a better summer than her. Don't wanna say they're all better than Spallina but they're all pretty even. When she was in 8th grade she had the looks of a special talent. I don't think she'a regressed but more like others just caught up. Spallina's Still a grade A prospect and has the lacrosse sense, vision, and shot to be a great player in college. She's currently doing recruiting visits with her pops. I wonder if that's awkward for him because alot of these schools he plays against on a regular basis.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:17 pm [quote=Relax77 post_id=481789 time=<a href="tel:1689532194">1689532194</a> user_id=5316]
On the recruiting front there was two big tourneys this weekend. Both in the same place. Mid Summer Chamlionship which had one or two top teams but the larger amount of coaches there. And Maryland Cup which was a new Steps tourney in its second year that probably had the better of the top 25 teams but less coaches. At this point I would think it didn’t matter as colleges have basically seen what they need to see. This is just desert.
From the games standpoints Top dog Spallina didn’t fare too well. Was tied once by Sky Walkers and beat by Prime Time but top prospect A. Spallina didn’t play cause she was injured during the tourney. HHH had a dreadful performance. Prime Time and Steps seemed to have the best tourney.

For Mid Summer. M&D rolled through and NXT lost 1. The rest of the field was mostly out of the top 25. Mostly anyway. Wonder if M&D gets the top spot.

Not sure why I posted this other than being bored and wanting to spark something on this forum. Oh well.
I wrote about Spallina back in June with a recruiting update and basically said the same thing. Her play hasn't impressed this summer. Penzeck, Kowalski, Winkler, Lauretani, Meyn all had a better summer than her. Don't wanna say they're all better than Spallina but they're all pretty even. When she was in 8th grade she had the looks of a special talent. I don't think she'a regressed but more like others just caught up. Spallina's Still a grade A prospect and has the lacrosse sense, vision, and shot to be a great player in college. She's currently doing recruiting visits with her pops. I wonder if that's awkward for him because alot of these schools he plays against on a regular basis.
[/quote]

Kowalski overrated as well. For a player a year ahead, she’s not even the most dominant on her team. Winkler and Meyn are unstoppable.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I will say though, it’s all about name recognition. All the top teams have about four or five kids that no one has ever heard of that will probably be getting recruited to some pretty good teams and some of them getting playing time early.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:51 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:17 pm [quote=Relax77 post_id=481789 time=<a href="tel:1689532194">1689532194</a> user_id=5316]
On the recruiting front there was two big tourneys this weekend. Both in the same place. Mid Summer Chamlionship which had one or two top teams but the larger amount of coaches there. And Maryland Cup which was a new Steps tourney in its second year that probably had the better of the top 25 teams but less coaches. At this point I would think it didn’t matter as colleges have basically seen what they need to see. This is just desert.

Kowalski overrated as well. For a player a year ahead, she’s not even the most dominant on her team. Winkler and Meyn are unstoppable.
[/quote]

How is a 2025 going on recruiting visits right now when coaches can not talk to them until September 1st?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Was really funny in Juniors when she would go over to her dad on the coaches side, and talk to the other coaches that were sitting with JS. But that’s what happens when you allow coaches to coach at the club level. If he retained his top players, there would be a bigger cry about it.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:58 pm

How is a 2025 going on recruiting visits right now when coaches can not talk to them until September 1st?
[/quote]

To be clear, coaches can still talk to prospects at games and camps. They just can't talk to them about playing for their school.

Between this and conversations with club directors, the top players already know which schools are interested in them and vice versa. For girls at this level, there are very few surprises the first week of September.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:16 pm
Brownlax wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:58 pm

To be clear, coaches can still talk to prospects at games and camps. They just can't talk to them about playing for their school.

Between this and conversations with club directors, the top players already know which schools are interested in them and vice versa. For girls at this level, there are very few surprises the first week of September.
[/quote]

But that still wouldn't allow "recruiting visits with her pops" as alleged above.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Last dance for the summer. AA or AS. Both in my opinion, a waste. Think it was someone on this site who said that a top coach told them at this stage it can only hurt your recruiting value not help. I agree with that. If your kid balled out this summer, this tourney doesn’t help. Maybe the one or two kids on a team that didn’t get any exposure, but most of the kids playing here played on top 15 teams.
Wish I knew then what I know now about this final recruit year. Would’ve saved a ton. I was hoping they canceled but knew that wasn’t happening. Nothing better than watching lacrosse in blazing sun and 97 degree heat. Anyway. It’s finally over.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:45 pm Last dance for the summer. AA or AS. Both in my opinion, a waste. Think it was someone on this site who said that a top coach told them at this stage it can only hurt your recruiting value not help. I agree with that. If your kid balled out this summer, this tourney doesn’t help. Maybe the one or two kids on a team that didn’t get any exposure, but most of the kids playing here played on top 15 teams.
Wish I knew then what I know now about this final recruit year. Would’ve saved a ton. I was hoping they canceled but knew that wasn’t happening. Nothing better than watching lacrosse in blazing sun and 97 degree heat. Anyway. It’s finally over.
Agree, it will be hard to convince me these events are not money grabs. If your club is the one running the AS regional tryouts you have a great chance of making the team. Many of the players/parents have caught on to this trend and don’t even waste their time or the $130 to tryout. Personally, I appreciate my daughter not feeling like she had to justify her lacrosse game by attending these events. She did UA once and we said never again. Saved a ton of money and put a lot of time back on the calendar. She plays for a top D1 now.
Last edited by VAMomGlax2019 on Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

[/quote]
This 2025 class is an exciting one and having a daughter on one of the better teams in the top 10 I’ll share my thoughts none of these players are as you state “overrated” they all have bright futures and I will keep it positive

Kowalski is a great player and does it all for her team the thing that separates her as a midfielder is her defensive tenacity she also is great at draw and is top offensive threat on her team
comparing her and Meyn is not even close as Meyn is a great player but not a top 3 player on her own team is not their primary draw person doesn’t play much defense. She is definitely a scorer but more of a cutter and transition player excellent on FP nut she isn’t a dodger

Really like Winkler she is super explosive and well rounded and best player on her team she is so good at creating her own shot but she is also unselfish PT team is excellent amd she is the catalyst along with Lauretani who dominates the draw and is a scorer as well

Imo Spalina is as advertised she is so smart saw her one game she had 5/6 goals against us with many that were 😳 then the next time we played I think she assisted every goal they scored for some reason we played YJ every Tourn good because all the coaches were there bad because they are excellent She is clearly the top of that team and that’s what we all thought their other kids are all great but she was only that took the game over makes players around her better

Patterson is the top goalie by a large margin and an absolute game changer. Great stopper throws pin point outlets and a vocal leader

Pencek is the key player on a great MD team she doesn’t necessarily light up the scoring fit them but did in her HS season (not best comp) but is there do it all she is incredible between the 30.s and on the circle. She was out hurt against us after an injury at LFC in one of our matchup.

Just a few of my thoughts on some players that I know are well regarded by top programs Let’s keep it positive on here !
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

You have your opinion and I have mine. Kowalski is a year older than everyone and is nowhere near the top of the class. Very good player. Once again. Not best on her team. Spallina is a good player but if her father was Joe Schmoe she wouldn’t be looked at as a top player. Probably the fourth best on her team. Winkler is great and so is Lauretani. Not sure about the dominating the draw comment though since PT rarely wins it. That offense scores the most at most tourneys while winning the draw rarely.
I agree with Patterson and
Pencek though. So there’s that.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Btw for those wondering. Tremendous amount of coaches at the first couple of games at American Select. The 97 degree heat didn’t keep them away.
njbill

Post by njbill »

No rising seniors this year? Haven’t they had them in prior years?
laxfan999

Post by laxfan999 »

Not many coaches at All-American.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxfan999 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:44 pm Not many coaches at All-American.
Wow surprised. Absolutely a ton at American Select. Thought maybe it would filter out during the day but there was as many at my daughters second game as there was the first. And there was a ton.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:09 pm
Wow surprised. Absolutely a ton at American Select. Thought maybe it would filter out during the day but there was as many at my daughters second game as there was the first. And there was a ton.
Those who may benefit the most from AS are the players who don’t play for top clubs and who do not get the exposure to college coaches through their summer/fall club schedules.

At least in the VA region many of the top HS players didn’t even tryout for this event in my daughters class. They didn’t need the event for recruiting. Of four VA POY recipients I’m not aware of one who did AS in my daughters class. All are playing for strong D1 programs.

AS is a nice feel good event for the players and a money maker for the event organizers and the clubs who run the regional tryouts and receive kickbacks. The event may have a small impact on recruiting but most top coaches know who they are targeting prior to this event and they understand many top players do not even participate.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:03 pm
Those who may benefit the most from AS are the players who don’t play for top clubs and who do not get the exposure to college coaches through their summer/fall club schedules.

At least in the VA region many of the top HS players didn’t even tryout for this event in my daughters class. They didn’t need the event for recruiting. Of four VA POY recipients I’m not aware of one who did AS in my daughters class. All are playing for strong D1 programs.

AS is a nice feel good event for the players and a money maker for the event organizers and the clubs who run the regional tryouts and receive kickbacks. The event may have a small impact on recruiting but most top coaches know who they are targeting prior to this event and they understand many top players do not even participate.
100%. Girl on my daughter’s AS team who plays for a much higher ranked team said on the sidelines I can’t believe how many coaches are here watching. One girl on the sidelines goes, don’t you get coaches a lot of coaches at your games? She said no, usually around 4. So yes. Definitely helps those kids much more.
njbill

Post by njbill »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:32 pm No rising seniors this year? Haven’t they had them in prior years?
Looked back at last year‘s rosters to get an answer to my question. As I thought, last year, and I think the year before that, American Select did have class specific teams for rising seniors. Interesting that they apparently have dispensed with that. I suspect that is because coaches are not interested in looking at rising seniors since all of the best ones have committed already.

On the other hand, Under Armour, or whatever they are calling it now, which this year has also gone to class specific teams (more money for the Corrigans ;) ), does have teams for a rising seniors.

Oh, for those halcyon days of yesteryear when the UA event was the only game in town and where there was only one underclass team per region. They played on those two grass fields at Towson right across the road from Johnny U. Just a short stroll to watch the senior game, unlike now. Oh well. I used to really enjoy the underclass games, but now that the talent is so diluted and spread out across the various years, I don’t go anymore. Not worth it.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:03 pm

Not so sure about that for other regions. Most of Steps, Mass Elite, Prime Time, HHH, Capital, Grizzlies, and Monster are all here. Spallina and M&D are at All American. The main complaint is that all the power teams are 75% filled with those kids.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Sure. But for some of those regions most of the top players are in those clubs.

Money grab though it may be, if coaches are at AS and it enables some of the lesser seen girls to get exposure and good quality play it has some value. Certainly more than some of the alternatives (looking at you MD showcase). I can think of girls who made an AS team from small clubs. I’d rather see them do that than go with their club to a low or open division game at president cup.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”