Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by a fan »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 pm Notwithstanding the blinding arrogance of your posts, what gives you the idea that I am a Trump supporter? I was trying to help you out with your claim that Trump 'increased spending by $3.3 trillion'; correct, but $3.9 trillion was pandemic relief.
3.9 Trillion wasn't all Pandemic relief, Pete. That didn't happen until April of 2020.

Trump signed two massive spending bills in 2018, including one that has zero military spending in it that totaled $1.3 Trillion in new spending. You're a Trump supporter because you want to lay the blame for inflation on Covid and Biden, because that's what you and your fellow partisans do.

In your world, everything R's do is spectacular and beyond reproach, even when they make the Federal Government bigger than ever...which is precisely what Trump did BEFORE Covid bailouts arrived.

But here, you finally acknowledged, because you were tricked.....into admitting that yes, Trump increased government spending by trillions, and that's a small part of the reason why we have inflation just now.

You're welcome. Try not to cry because you admit that Trump's spending eclipse's Biden's, and spending went DOWN in Biden's first year.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:09 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 pm You can't be this thick. The largest driver of his 'increased spending' was pandemic relief legislation ($3.9 trillion).
:lol: Walked right into it.

So you DO understand that TrumpSpending is part of why we have inflation, Pete.

Hooraaaaaaay, Everybody! Petey figured something out all by himself.

I feel SO PROUD for you, Pete.

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 pm Further, Trump repeatedly proposed budgets with significant deficit reduction but was thwarted by a bipartisan congressional majority that aggressively supported expensive new initiatives.
Annnnd Pete's right back to pretending he's a moron.

Pete: can you tell the class what a veto is? I know, it's a big word, with four whole syllables.

Veto, Pete. Tell your classmates what that word means in the context of Trump and legislation.

Notwithstanding the blinding arrogance of your posts, what gives you the idea that I am a Trump supporter? I was trying to help you out with your claim that Trump 'increased spending by $3.3 trillion'; correct, but $3.9 trillion was pandemic relief.

The effort is futile, I gather.

And, for the billionth time, I am not "Pete".
Anything you say Pinocchio. You're gonnna need an iphone extender to hang a tissue on to blow your nose at its current length.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your hero (and new namesake elmopetey) posted this on Twitter today

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
"Rolling out soon, Twitter will enable organizations to identify which other Twitter accounts are actually associated with them"

I guess to convince real companies/people to allegedly distinguish from the idiots posting as them. :oops: Like most of the other stupid sh*t he says on Twitter, he deleted the tweet shortly after making it.

The Eli Lilly spoof Twitter account that promised “free insulin” “sparked a panic” inside the real Eli Lilly, exacerbated by the fact that for hours they couldn’t reach anyone at Twitter to take the fake post down because its massive staff cuts. Their stock went down 5% in a day.

Elon, like you elmopetey, you should just STFU for a change. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:09 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 pm You can't be this thick. The largest driver of his 'increased spending' was pandemic relief legislation ($3.9 trillion).
:lol: Walked right into it.

So you DO understand that TrumpSpending is part of why we have inflation, Pete.

Hooraaaaaaay, Everybody! Petey figured something out all by himself.

I feel SO PROUD for you, Pete.

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:37 pm Further, Trump repeatedly proposed budgets with significant deficit reduction but was thwarted by a bipartisan congressional majority that aggressively supported expensive new initiatives.
Annnnd Pete's right back to pretending he's a moron.

Pete: can you tell the class what a veto is? I know, it's a big word, with four whole syllables.

Veto, Pete. Tell your classmates what that word means in the context of Trump and legislation.

Notwithstanding the blinding arrogance of your posts, what gives you the idea that I am a Trump supporter? I was trying to help you out with your claim that Trump 'increased spending by $3.3 trillion'; correct, but $3.9 trillion was pandemic relief.

The effort is futile, I gather.

And, for the billionth time, I am not "Pete".
Will teenage boy with sock and lotion in a basement do as universal
Pseudonym?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... saw a report yesterday that Musk's mom thinks everybody is being "mean" to Elon. :lol: Mom's are cute.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:27 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 pm Notwithstanding the blinding arrogance of your posts, what gives you the idea that I am a Trump supporter? I was trying to help you out with your claim that Trump 'increased spending by $3.3 trillion'; correct, but $3.9 trillion was pandemic relief.
3.9 Trillion wasn't all Pandemic relief, Pete. That didn't happen until April of 2020.

Trump signed two massive spending bills in 2018, including one that has zero military spending in it that totaled $1.3 Trillion in new spending. You're a Trump supporter because you want to lay the blame for inflation on Covid and Biden, because that's what you and your fellow partisans do.

In your world, everything R's do is spectacular and beyond reproach, even when they make the Federal Government bigger than ever...which is precisely what Trump did BEFORE Covid bailouts arrived.

But here, you finally acknowledged, because you were tricked.....into admitting that yes, Trump increased government spending by trillions, and that's a small part of the reason why we have inflation just now.

You're welcome. Try not to cry because you admit that Trump's spending eclipse's Biden's, and spending went DOWN in Biden's first year.
So....just like my post on Christians "indoctrinating" kids to think they're bad/evil, you've got nothing to say on the above, Pete?

You told me that Trump blew $3.9 Trillion by mistake, and now you can't blame Biden for inflation?

:lol: Spectacular.

Such. a. bad. troll.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:59 amJohn Fetterman will certainly understand the nuances of trade policies, tax policies, and the interplay between the Federal Reserve and Treasury. As for Fanlax Democrats, were it not for Joe Manchin saving you from yourselves, inflation right now would be clipping along at about 16%.
BA in Business Administration - Albright College
MBA - UConn
Masters in Public Policy - Harvard

Seems like he's well positioned to understand the nuances of trade policies, tax policies, and the interplay between the Federal Reserve and Treasury vs. a good chunk of congress. More than most MAGA senate candidates. Herschel Walker? Tommy Tuberville? LMAO

Congrats on overspending so many America's tax money when your party was in charge. More than the D's in all of history before. Especially with no oversight on PPP loans. Really helped out America there. Clown show bro, you're embarassing yourself. And half of America.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:13 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:59 amJohn Fetterman will certainly understand the nuances of trade policies, tax policies, and the interplay between the Federal Reserve and Treasury. As for Fanlax Democrats, were it not for Joe Manchin saving you from yourselves, inflation right now would be clipping along at about 16%.
MBA - UConn

Seems like he's well positioned to understand the nuances of trade policies, tax policies, and the interplay between the Federal Reserve and Treasury vs. a good chunk of congress. More than most MAGA senate candidates. Herschel Walker? Tommy Tuberville? LMAO

Congrats on overspending so many America's tax money when your party was in charge. More than the D's in all of history before. Especially with no oversight on PPP loans. Really helped out America there. Clown show bro, you're embarassing yourself. And half of America.
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Fallout:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... -lilly/The nine-word tweet was sent Thursday afternoon from an account using the name and logo of the pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly and Co., and it immediately attracted a giant response: “We are excited to announce insulin is free now.”

The tweet carried a blue “verified” check mark, a badge that Twitter had used for years to signal an account’s authenticity — and that Twitter’s new billionaire owner, Elon Musk, had, while declaring “power to the people!” suddenly opened to anyone, regardless of their identity, as long as they paid $8.

But the tweet was a fake — one of what became a fast-multiplying horde of impersonated businesses, political leaders, government agencies and celebrities. By the time Twitter had removed the tweet, more than six hours later, the account had inspired other fake Eli Lilly copycats and been viewed millions of times.

Inside the real Eli Lilly, the fake sparked a panic, according to two people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. Company officials scrambled to contact Twitter representatives and demanded they kill the viral spoof, worried it could undermine their brand’s reputation or push false claims about people’s medicine. Twitter, its staffing cut in half, didn’t react for hours.

The aftermath of that $8 spoof offers a potentially costly lesson for Musk, who has long treated Twitter as a playground for bawdy jokes and trolls but now must find a way to operate as a business following his $44 billion takeover.

By Friday morning, Eli Lilly executives had ordered a halt to all Twitter ad campaigns — a potentially serious blow, given that the $330 billion company controls the kind of massive advertising budget that Musk says the company needs to avoid bankruptcy. They also paused their Twitter publishing plan for all corporate accounts around the world.

“For $8, they’re potentially losing out on millions of dollars in ad revenue,” said Amy O’Connor, a former senior communications official at Eli Lilly who now works at a trade association. “What’s the benefit to a company … of staying on Twitter? It’s not worth the risk when patient trust and health are on the line.”

Eli Lilly, which declined to respond to questions about the episode or how much money it has spent on advertising with Twitter, is one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturers, known for the anti-depression drug Prozac and the diabetes treatments Trulicity and Humalog.

It maintains a robust Twitter presence. In addition to its main corporate account, @LillyPad, it runs stand-alone accounts devoted to diabetes care, European health policy, clinical trials, rheumatology and the distribution of health information in Spanish, Italian and French. It spends more than $100 million a year on TV commercials and digital-ad campaigns in the United States, according to MediaRadar, a marketing data firm.

When Twitter failed to react quickly to its entreaties about the fake account, Eli Lilly took to its official account in the late afternoon Thursday to apologize to its 130,000 followers for the “misleading” fake. When the fake account still was active five hours later, a Twitter ad-sales rep in New York publicly pleaded with Musk for the fake account to be removed.

Musk did not respond, but the account was suspended late Thursday night. The next morning, Musk tweeted that the launch of Twitter’s new $8 verification regime was “overall proceeding well.”

Musk did not respond to requests for comment for this article. Twitter’s communications team also did not respond; many of its employees were fired in the massive layoff that Musk imposed on Nov. 4.

In a short statement Friday, Eli Lilly said it was “working to correct this situation.”

Twitter’s content moderation head quits as departures alarm the FTC

Musk has said the sweeping change to Twitter’s “verified” system, first unveiled in 2009, would shake up the establishment journalists he routinely criticizes by breaking their “oligopoly on information.”

Twitter is not checking the identity of anyone who pays $8 for the check mark, which looks identical to the current “verified” badge. Musk has said spammers and impersonators would be dissuaded by the fact that their $8 would not be paid back if their accounts were suspended.

The sudden shift, however, has decimated some of the last lingering bits of trust among advertisers in the platform, said Jenna Golden, who ran Twitter’s political and advocacy ad-sales team until 2017 and now runs Golden Strategies, a D.C. consulting firm.

Twitter, she said, has never been a “must buy” for advertisers. Though a popular way to reach influential political figures and news junkies, it has never had the scale and performance of digital juggernauts like Google and Facebook.

Now, with its verification system in shreds, “it’s making it really easy for advertisers to say: ‘You know what, I don’t need to be here anymore,’ and walk away,” Golden said. “People are not just providing inaccurate information but damaging information, with the ability to look legitimate. That is just not a stable place for a brand to invest.”

Compounding the issue, Golden said, is Musk himself, who has pushed tumultuous changes to the company that have stunned paying customers, confused industry observers and led Twitter’s power users to head for the exits.

“People see the leader of this company who is erratic and unpredictable, who is making very knee-jerk decisions and rolling them back quite quickly,” she said. “He claims he wants to create a successful business, then does everything he can to turn off the advertisers that are its main revenue stream. … I just don’t see a world in which advertisers are going to be excited to come back and willing to commit dollars to his experiment.”

As fake accounts multiplied on the site Thursday, Musk responded to a sexually explicit tweet from a fake President Biden with two cry-laughing emoji and tweeted that Twitter users had shared “some epically funny tweets.”

By Friday morning, however, Twitter had paused its blue-check program, known as Twitter Blue, due to “impersonation issues” and began attaching “official” labels to Eli Lilly and other major corporate accounts.

On Friday evening, Musk tweeted Twitter would begin adding a “parody” tag to fake blue-check accounts. He also defended Eli Lilly, tweeting at Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) — who had used the fake to call attention to high prices for insulin, a lifesaving drug — that the “price question is complex.”

Few of the nation’s most prominent businesses and political figures have escaped viral Twitter impersonations in recent days: Former presidents (Donald Trump, George W. Bush) and giant companies (the defense contractor Lockheed Martin, Musk’s automaker Tesla) have all been retweeted widely, with fake-but-verified badges attached.

That shift has led some major advertisers to also pull back. Omnicom Media Group, an ad firm that represents corporate giants such as Apple and McDonald’s, recommended clients pause all Twitter activity, saying in a memo first reported by The Verge that the “risk to our clients’ brand safety has risen sharply to a level most would find unacceptable.”

For Eli Lilly, the $8 fake account represented a disastrous and high-profile surprise. The Indianapolis-based conglomerate employs more than 37,000 people across 18 countries and brings in $28 billion a year in revenue.

Sanders and many others used the parody to shine a spotlight on insulin costs, a common point of company criticism. When Eli Lilly’s share price sank 4 percent on Friday — in line with a drop in other health care stocks — many Twitter users credited the fake account: The “tweet just cost Eli Lilly billions,” said one tweet with more than 380,000 likes. “The most consequential $8 in modern human history,” said another.

Some Twitter users celebrated the accounts as modern satires or expressed excitement at the idea that Musk’s move could backfire, exposing Twitter to legal threats. Other fake-but-verified Eli Lilly spoofs have proliferated, gaining their own broad audiences before they, too, were suspended: One tweeted, “Humalog is now $400. We can do this whenever we want and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

To Eli Lilly, though, the change offered not just a reputational threat but the risk that other fakes could threaten people’s health. The company’s accounts routinely field medical questions from Twitter users and work to correct misinformation about side effects, health issues and long-term care.

Twitter’s change, O’Connor said, has shaken not just Eli Lilly but many other companies now worried about the risk of participating in a platform where an account’s legitimacy is no longer guaranteed.

“This isn’t just about Twitter, this is about patients’ health,” O’Connor said. What if a public health group was “spoofed and shared information that made people’s diabetes worse? Where does it stop? It feels like this is literally just the beginning, and it’s only going to get worse.”
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:13 pm
MBA - UConn

A: what is Albright College? is that like the University of Grenada?

Harvard literally accepts anyone including the deceased into their MPP program provided you have the funds to pay for it (which his parents did); it has the equivalent cachet of a Trump University degree.

Interestingly, Fetterman never had a paying job until he became mayor of a destitute town, Braddock, whereupon he made it even more improbably destitute. That was his first paycheck at the ripe age of 50...what a hero to the left. He even married an illegal immigrant, actual socialist while mayor! More hurrahs!

Meanwhile, in his one and only debate, he claimed that he is now 'pro-fracking', after being anti-fracking! Whiplash baby...that's a hard tack if I've ever seen one!

To say this guy is an embarassment does not do embarassment enough justice. He's somewhat dumber than the queen dumb, Mazie Hirono, more like Peter Sellers' Chance in Being There. Just not as bright as Chance. Will be a fascinating 6 years.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

That one ^ was pure Peter Brown stuff. Nicely done Elon.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:35 am That one ^ was pure Peter Brown stuff. Nicely done Elon.
He is, after all, Petey Brown. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No matter how many times he denies this - His lexicon and style make it a no-brainer

The real question is will original Petey return after his sentence is up Thursday? Or will we all have to endure Petey-in-stereo :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thank goodness for the IGNORE (FOE) function. :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:35 am That one ^ was pure Peter Brown stuff. Nicely done Elon.
Indeed, classic Petey troll post.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Elon seems to have poor judgment on these personnel matters, especially where they cross lines with the actual use of the platform:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/ ... 4209750016
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

The whole thing's been a dumpster fire. Letting go key staff, having to try and hire some back, parts of the platform having technical issues, insulting and calling out staff via twitter when they were the ones in the right. Ruling via tweet. Good thing we don't let politicians do that...
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Kismet wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:39 am
He is, after all, Petey Brown. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No matter how many times he denies this - His lexicon and style make it a no-brainer

The real question is will original Petey return after his sentence is up Thursday? Or will we all have to endure Petey-in-stereo :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thank goodness for the IGNORE (FOE) function. :D
Linda would be better...

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:52 pm The whole thing's been a dumpster fire. Letting go key staff, having to try and hire some back, parts of the platform having technical issues, insulting and calling out staff via twitter when they were the ones in the right. Ruling via tweet. Good thing we don't let politicians do that...
Notice that the folk on the forums who insisted that Musk would bring "free speech" to twitter....and we all pointed out nope, that's not going to happen......are gone....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:58 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:52 pm The whole thing's been a dumpster fire. Letting go key staff, having to try and hire some back, parts of the platform having technical issues, insulting and calling out staff via twitter when they were the ones in the right. Ruling via tweet. Good thing we don't let politicians do that...
Notice that the folk on the forums who insisted that Musk would bring "free speech" to twitter....and we all pointed out nope, that's not going to happen......are gone....
who said that?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:08 pm
who said that?
It’s a public square
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:08 pm
who said that?
It’s a public square
Ah, TLD remembers.....the exchange you and I had a few months ago, YA. Do you? Remember how I told you that this whole thing is about $$$$, and your'e nuts if you think that twitter pre or post Elon has a single thing to do with free speech, or being "a town square".

But I was mostly referring to Pete.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

The great manager speaks, well, posts a link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... rmination/

Elon Musk issued an ultimatum to Twitter employees Wednesday morning: Commit to a new “hardcore” Twitter or leave the company with severance pay.

Employees were told they had to a sign a pledge to stay on with the company. “If you are sure that you want to be part of the new Twitter, please click yes on the link below,” read the email to all staff, which linked to an online form.

Anyone who did not sign the pledge by 5 p.m. Eastern time Thursday was told they would receive three months of severance pay, the message said.

In the midnight email, which was shared with The Washington Post, Musk said Twitter “will need to be extremely hardcore” going forward. “This will mean working long hours at high intensity,” he said. “Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

The pledge email, paired with a new policy mandating a return to the office, is expected to lead to even more attrition at a company whose staff Musk had already reduced by half.

Layoff spree in Silicon Valley spells end of an era for Big Tech

It also comes as Musk says he is tabling Twitter’s Blue Verified, his first major product since taking over as Twitter’s owner and CEO, while the company sorts out issues with the feature following a botched rollout.

A week ago, Twitter debuted the product, which gives users a blue check-mark icon next to their name for a fee of $7.99 a month, and promises to reduce the number of ads they see by half as well as giving their posts additional visibility. By Friday, the option disappeared amid a rash of fake accounts impersonating everyone from President Biden to basketball star LeBron James.

Elon Musk acquires Twitter and fires top executives

Sign-ups were paused Thursday night and the service wouldn’t “relaunch” until Nov. 29 “to make sure that it is rock solid,” Musk announced via a tweet late Tuesday.

But inside Twitter, staff were using the additional two weeks to conduct a postmortem on the launch, trying to understand why the impersonations spiraled out of control, according to a person with knowledge of the internal discussions who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.

The launch — and its backtrack — was the culmination of a whirlwind couple weeks of ownership for Musk, who bought the company for $44 billion late last month. People familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe internal matters, as well as internal and externally compiled data reviewed by The Post, showed the new service failed to gain much traction during its brief stint — skewing toward just a few niche communities and threatening Twitter’s core advertising revenue.

Power users are most likely to subscribe, but they are also the company’s primary advertising base — a key driver of revenue. Twitter would need to charge $44 a month to recoup the advertising value generated by the top segment of U.S. power users if it relied only on subscriptions, according to an internal document reviewed by The Post. The more active the user, the higher the subscription price would need to be, according to the documents — which warned of the opportunity cost of cutting ads and high subscription prices needed if Twitter were to make up for the revenue generated by ad-consuming power users.

Meanwhile, those who subscribed to Blue Verified were often accounts promoting right-wing politics, cryptocurrency speculation and users hawking adult content such as pornography, a review of Twitter data compiled by a software developer showed.

About 150,000 users were subscribed to Twitter Blue — which encompasses Blue Verified — at the time of the pause, according to one of the people with knowledge of internal matters, a figure corroborated by internal data on tweets from Verified accounts and an external analysis. That’s just 0.06 percent of the roughly 250 million people estimated to use Twitter each day.

That subscriber figure would bring in only $14.4 million annually in revenue — while threatening the ad revenue generated from super users who pay for Twitter Blue who will see fewer advertisements, a trade-off that was warned about in the internal document predating Musk’s takeover.

Musk has tweeted that new subscribers would see “Half as many ads.”

Musk and Twitter did not respond to requests for comment on the Twitter Blue developments.

Musk purchased the site late last month and has since ousted Twitter’s leadership, made himself CEO and laid off half the workforce. He now needs to find ways to drive new revenue sources, as Twitter is expected to owe roughly $1 billion in annual interest — plus recoup the investments of Musk’s many equity partners.

Already advertisers are proving wary, something exacerbated last month when Musk tweeted a conspiracy-laden article about the attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband Paul Pelosi. The Blue Verified debacle, where some major brands were impersonated, only added to their concerns.

The Post reported this week that a fake tweet using the name and logo of Eli Lilly may have cost Twitter millions, after the pharmaceutical giant paused ad spending on the site. Other companies including General Motors, Volkswagen and General Mills said they were pausing advertising after Musk took over — some brands acting in conjunction with calls from civil rights groups to do so.

While trying to appease advertisers, Musk has also turned his focus to subscription models and potential paywalls.

Twitter Blue — which previously allowed users to edit tweets, among other features — had around 100,000 subscribers before the new launch including paid verification, according to the website Platformer.

Twitter earned about 79 percent of its U.S. ad revenue from just 10 percent of its most valuable users, according to the internal document reviewed by The Post. Its top 1 percent of U.S. users — who are in turn the ones most likely to shell out $8 — earn the service more than $40 each month in revenue, the document shows.

Twitter’s paid verification service is here. What you need to know.

Only a smidgen of the 150,000 Twitter Blue subscribers are fake or joke accounts, according to data compiled from Twitter’s public data feed for software developers. A large portion of the most-followed accounts that got “verified” via Twitter Blue, according to the data reviewed by The Post, are from a few specific subcommunities on Twitter: pornography, cryptocurrency advocates and overseas accounts, particularly from the Middle East.

The data was compiled by Berlin software developer Travis Brown and reviewed and verified by The Post.

According to the data, most of the members of a list of some 135,000 Twitter Blue subscribers were ordinary users with a few hundred followers who had been on the site for more than six years. (It’s not clear how many had subscribed to the earlier, pre-Musk iteration of the Twitter Blue program.)

Twitter, unlike many other social networks, allows sexually explicit imagery. Many of the adult performers on Twitter use the site as the top of their marketing funnel to attract new paying customers, with their Twitter display names advertising the price of a subscription on other paid sites such as OnlyFans where they show their content.

Twitter is rushing to launch a paid video feature that could let their customers pay on Twitter instead of elsewhere, The Post reported earlier this month — though the site’s internal watchdog flagged the product as “high risk.” A previous adult-content-focused subscription service product was shelved, before Musk’s ownership of Twitter, after the company realized it could not guarantee it wasn’t monetizing child sexual abuse material, Platformer reported in August.

Nearly 10 percent of overall Twitter Blue subscribers talk about cryptocurrency on their profile pages, including popular crypto news and accounts that promote crypto investments that they predict will rise, according to The Post’s review.

One major group of new Twitter Blue subscribers are right-wing influencers. Some 150 accounts that disproportionately interact with at least five prominent right-wing influencers signed up to gain verification this way."

Return to “POLITICS”