Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:04 am O-Midfield is very thin, a ton pf pressure on Schrieber and if he is the least bit injured....that becomes devastating. Sowers is also injury prone in the big league and I'll guess the attack him hard. O'Neil hasn't seen a shot he doesn't like....he belongs on the Canadian roster for that reason :lol: ....I will argue he takes too many shots that cost the US games.

I do like the Schreiber/Kelly duo up top, both can be feeders, stretch shooters and hopefully open up the attack. Again, if one of those two go down...ouch.
agree. 9 offensive guys is low, and one of them conrad will likely have roles outside of offense. one too many ssdms especially with him there. over a couple weeks, if a guy or 2 goes down, you don't even have 2 midfields. and some of those will be attackmen who have never played midfield. the int'l game is slower, but having a total of 4! guys who are o-mids, one hoo is a full field guy and another (bertrand) hoo has made the transition by now is... not how i would do it. i do think bertrand is now fully converted.

this goes to the positionless idea that's taken over. i'm with that movement as far as moving around on the field, but not with the idea that filling it all with attackmen is more + than -. overthinking themselves, o-mids greatly under-represented.
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:12 am
lorin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:08 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:47 am not really loving the choice limitation.
schreiber
sowers/mcardle
kelly
moore
handley
wiznauskas
gray
conrad
rambo
pannell
bertrand
o'neill
some of that is based on age, some on mixing positions and skillsets @ att, redundancy.
would like drenner and anderson available. and some canadians and native americans if it's not usa team types.
I gave you who made team and who did not.
got it. but there were more cuts than that? shellenberger. was nichtern trying out? anderson, drennan? ament was there, they always take one feeder type, tho i'd want sowers.
Wow your right miss those guys, Nichtern did not make it pass first tryout, not sur about Anderson and Drennan
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:30 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:04 am O-Midfield is very thin, a ton pf pressure on Schrieber and if he is the least bit injured....that becomes devastating. Sowers is also injury prone in the big league and I'll guess the attack him hard. O'Neil hasn't seen a shot he doesn't like....he belongs on the Canadian roster for that reason :lol: ....I will argue he takes too many shots that cost the US games.

I do like the Schreiber/Kelly duo up top, both can be feeders, stretch shooters and hopefully open up the attack. Again, if one of those two go down...ouch.
agree. 9 offensive guys is low, and one of them conrad will likely have roles outside of offense. one too many ssdms especially with him there. over a couple weeks, if a guy or 2 goes down, you don't even have 2 midfields. and some of those will be attackmen who have never played midfield. the int'l game is slower, but having a total of 4! guys who are o-mids, one hoo is a full field guy and another (bertrand) hoo has made the transition by now is... not how i would do it. i do think bertrand is now fully converted.

this goes to the positionless idea that's taken over. i'm with that movement as far as moving around on the field, but not with the idea that filling it all with attackmen is more + than -. overthinking themselves, o-mids greatly under-represented.
...positionless lacrosse is great (bigly fan of), but that chemistry requires a ton of lab time. I'd much prefer holman up top than sowers (listed as A/M), I think more upside w/ament inside & behind over sowers...especially when working with Schreiber (chemistry is built w/Ament and Holman). Will be fun to watch and see how our fun little discussions pan out.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Having the 4 shorties on the roster is being done for one reason only: to match up against the Canadians' box offense. They don't want to have to worry about who switches on to who. It's one of the underrated aspects of what Maryland did this past year, and I don't know if we'll see 4 shorties at the college level like we saw at Maryland for a long, long time.

On offense, I'm not even sure that Dano is going for positionless offense. Pannell only seems to function behind the goal. Rambo only seems to hang on the lefty wing with some dodges from X here and there to get topside. The midfield certainly looks like a positionless group. Schreiber can play anywhere. Kelly is essentially an attackman that now plays midfield. McCardle is a very flexible attack piece. It's kinda weird, too, because you got 3 lefty dominant players (Rambo, O'Neill, Bertrand) that don't really seem like they could float around in a positionless offense anyway.

Just odd roster construction, IMO, more so on offense than defense.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Conversely, the traditional rapid ball movement by the Canadians, much like the Terps this year, negate defensive schemes, often exposing them.

You couple that with the amount of shots ONeil likes to take, along with the high turnovers the Canadians have, and midfields run the potential of being smoked, so I can appreciate their thinking of 4 SSDM’s.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
molo

Post by molo »

You need two rope units. Conrad can play some ssdm if caught on d, and I think Bernhardt could become a third lsm if need be. I believe McCardle is also a lefty. Maryland fans have lamented the omission of Wisnauskas, and I’m sure some UVA fans are not thrilled to see O’Neill instead of Shellenberger as the lone collegiate team member. I wonder how close Handley came to making the team. As I said earlier, competition among lefty attackmen must have been fierce.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

By all accounts Handley majorly bumps up to midfield on O as a big lefty on the righty attack side, then rolls back down to A, UPenn goes on D. I can see why he may was not chosen, and it’s not a slight on him, just a ‘fit’ issue and likely a liability if stuck on D….and you know Canada would figure out how to make that happen.
~Livy

lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:46 pm By all accounts Handley majorly bumps up to midfield on O as a big lefty on the righty attack side, then rolls back down to A, UPenn goes on D. I can see why he may was not chosen, and it’s not a slight on him, just a ‘fit’ issue and likely a liability if stuck on D….and you know Canada would figure out how to make that happen.
Sowers and O’Neil are not a liability getting caught on D?
Handley should be on that team period stop.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:46 pm By all accounts Handley majorly bumps up to midfield on O as a big lefty on the righty attack side, then rolls back down to A, UPenn goes on D. I can see why he may was not chosen, and it’s not a slight on him, just a ‘fit’ issue and likely a liability if stuck on D….and you know Canada would figure out how to make that happen.
This is fun. Who’s spot would/should he have taken?
~Livy

keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Forecasted depth chart-
2023 Attack: Murphy, Spanos, Kelly
Other regulars: Mullane, Maltz, Whittier, C. Koras, Siracusa

Maybe Maltz takes the starting crease spot? Siracusa has been on the verge of the lineup; can he find a spot in the lineup
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Offensive midfield-
Long, Brennan, J. Koras
Siracusa (if not attack), Tucker, Aitken, Erksa, Trader?........this position seems pretty thin
Last edited by keno in reno on Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

SSDM
Coffman, Lacey, Wicks, Cope, Holmes, maybe Trader
2022 may have been one of the best ssdm groups ever, but still the group seems talented but thin
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

LSM
Geppert, McDonald, Larkin, maybe Schaller?
Geppert is all-american level and McDonald looks excellent; otherwise depth depends on (blue chip) true freshmen
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Close D
Makar, Zappitello, Burlace?/Schaller?
Redd, BJ Burlace, Kopp

I suppose a terp fan shouldnt worry about a unit with 2 well-deserved 1st team all americans, yet there's still a potential hole on one side
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Goalie
McNaney is among the best...all good in goal, and honestly Zap, Makar, WIerman and Geppert will make anybody look ok

Face-Off
Legend

So after total evaluation of all the units....it's not crazy to place UVA, Duke, Notre Dame, Cornell and Georgetown ahead of the Terps in the talent department. That said, Tillman's guys always step up and end up almost always making the final 4. But we need a few all-american caliber guys to step up on offense
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Mullane and Maltz will play.

I could see that second midfield group running on as Mullane, Maltz, and Siracusa. Pairing Siracusa as a strong lefty with Kelly on that same side mimics the Wisnauskas/DeMaio pairing. Maltz looked more comfortable at the end of the season on the right wing or even up top. He's a really good shooter and an underrated passer. Mullane scored over 100 points last year at Bowdoin. He's probably gonna see the field, especially in Maryland's fluid offense.

What'd be interesting about that kind of former attack playing midfield kind of second MF line is that all of those guys have a ton of experience. You wouldn't expect them to get on the field and look lost or make a lot of mistakes. They also wouldn't be the kind of 2nd MF lines you see a lot of across the country where they're just expected to throw the ball around and give the 1st line rest. Those 3 guys would play aggressively and smartly and not give the defense much of a break. That was such a key last year. That 2nd MF line came in and hunted goals.
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:34 pm
lorin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:02 pm
This is fun. Who’s spot would/should he have taken?
Conrad because they already have 4 great ssm, Conrad is one of the best all around athletes but Handley is a better offensive mid IMO.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tills adding to the roster this spring. Attack Cayden Onagi transferring from Harford CC.

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:46 pm Tills adding to the roster this spring. Attack Cayden Onagi transferring from Harford CC.

Baller.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

All the other Big Ten schools have dropped their schedules

Guess at the schedule from what I have seen/heard
Duke January 21 - scrimmage
Georgetown @ CP January 28 - scrimmage
Richmond guessing @ CP
Loyola away February 11
Syracuse @ CP February 18
Princeton away February 25