Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

May be more up and down the field which I think suits our team better than 6 on 6. Not to say it won’t be an uphill battle but a lot of our offensive guys like fluid play and we need to put 45 shots up.

Phaup v Shea will be another interesting matchup.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Throwing a couple of guys at Phaup may help. Wing play HAS to improve. If there is a repeat of Q3, we're toast. Ball movemet??? Oh btw. watch the back door skip pass. Cuse practices that constantly.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Wow. Good luck against an angry, mean, desperate bunch up route 81. We have seen over the years how that team responds to adversity, and Bart better be ready for that team to come out with fire in their eyes.
If you can stave off the initial onslaught that is sure to come, and stay in touch, then I think with the firepower you have, that you will have a shot late in the 4th quarter.
Good luck in what should be a very intense game between two of upstate ny's best programs.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 pm Throwing a couple of guys at Phaup may help. Wing play HAS to improve. If there is a repeat of Q3, we're toast. Ball movemet??? Oh btw. watch the back door skip pass. Cuse practices that constantly.
Given Army's success, can guarantee SU will see a good portion of Zone from us. Fairly certain we cannot matchup with SU 1v1. And, our ssdm didn't look good against SUNY Cornell. Had we capitalized on those 1st quarter opportunities game may have been entirely different Tuesday. Need to ride SU hard and create some unsettled O on Sunday(again, like Army). Agree with oldbartman, need to be far more efficient with our wing play and getting the ball off the ground. Was very impressed with how quickly/urgently Cornell played--without any panic. Sunday will be anything but easy in their house with 3 straight losses...
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:59 am Wow. Good luck against an angry, mean, desperate bunch up route 81. We have seen over the years how that team responds to adversity, and Bart better be ready for that team to come out with fire in their eyes.
If you can stave off the initial onslaught that is sure to come, and stay in touch, then I think with the firepower you have, that you will have a shot late in the 4th quarter.
Good luck in what should be a very intense game between two of upstate ny's best programs.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
In the 2020 game, we were able to hang with the Orange for 3 quarters. At that point they started to win all of the faceoffs and had the ball all of the time. The result in the end was a total hammering. This time around we have to at least break even at the dot or the results will be a similar hammering. They must be angrier than hornets now and we have to match their intensity. They will want to Holy Cross us. I hope that the team has some confidence after playing such a good team in Cornell.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Cuse is nowhere as deep as that year and your fogo has to be good going 50/50 with Lehigh fogo. Cuse needed that game so had to be letdown while Hobart has to be encouraged . Tossup game.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

bananas wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:46 pm Cuse is nowhere as deep as that year and your fogo has to be good going 50/50 with Lehigh fogo. Cuse needed that game so had to be letdown while Hobart has to be encouraged . Tossup game.
Sure hope you're not "bananas" ;) But to the point made by Ketch, we tend to get worn down by teams and do not have the depth to run with a team like SU. Army had the formula: possibly create some offense off the draw, if not, patient ball control offense using a 2 man game with the big/little set up--usually at GLE or below to negate SU transition game should we turn it over. Also, need to slow down SU offensively as Army did with the zone--SU seemed to get impatient and force feed and/or take poor shots esp late in the possession. Lastly, look to run off a save, but to quote DJU, "respect the ball on offense"...if nothing comes in transition, work the shot clock. Hoping for a good game and maybe some Alex Love laser-like shots from the Statesmen!
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:51 pm
bananas wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:46 pm Cuse is nowhere as deep as that year and your fogo has to be good going 50/50 with Lehigh fogo. Cuse needed that game so had to be letdown while Hobart has to be encouraged . Tossup game.
Sure hope you're not "bananas" ;) But to the point made by Ketch, we tend to get worn down by teams and do not have the depth to run with a team like SU. Army had the formula: possibly create some offense off the draw, if not, patient ball control offense using a 2 man game with the big/little set up--usually at GLE or below to negate SU transition game should we turn it over. Also, need to slow down SU offensively as Army did with the zone--SU seemed to get impatient and force feed and/or take poor shots esp late in the possession. Lastly, look to run off a save, but to quote DJU, "respect the ball on offense"...if nothing comes in transition, work the shot clock. Hoping for a good game and maybe some Alex Love laser-like shots from the Statesmen!
Alex was amazing that night in 2013. Absolutely stunned the SU crowd... I had the chance to talk to him about it one time. I told him it was my favorite performance ever by a Statesman.

I do not always go to the Kraus-Simmons Trophy game, but as fortune would have it, I was there in the Dome in both 2006 and 2013 when we won it. I will never forget those two nights. In 2006 we really had them on the run and should have won by more than one goal. In 2013 as the game progressed I figured we were going to come close but lose by a little, as so often in the past. Then, about half way through the fourth quarter it was more like "Hey, we're going to win this thing!" And we stole the game from them! That was a very senior laden team, just like what we've got now.

I'm going to be there on Sunday. Here's to hoping that I'm a good luck charm again.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Gee, a number of Hobart posters mentioned a zone defense.... why didn't our great coaches suggest doing that when Cornell was on a roll?
Change the tempo of the game... which needed to happen.
Last edited by SMAIN on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I, too, was there for the Alex Lovefest…his goals were all 15yd snipes. Ketch, I sure hope you bring your rabbit’s foot to the Dome on Sunday!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I wasn't there, but I was at Dana's. I've never seen anyone else snipe on the move, after a pivot, underhand, lefty, and so quickly that the goalie only knows there was a shot after the ball is in the net.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I hope Raymond knows how to get under Petro's skin. More yelling and explosive behavior on the SU sideline is better for us. I am not sure if the additional pressure on SU after Army will help or hurt us.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:33 am I hope Raymond knows how to get under Petro's skin. More yelling and explosive behavior on the SU sideline is better for us. I am not sure if the additional pressure on SU after Army will help or hurt us.
Let's hope we 're loose and they're squeezing too tightly...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I would bet that Cuse comes out firing and presses any offensive advantage. You can count on Petro to have their D double quickly.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:15 pm I would bet that Cuse comes out firing and presses any offensive advantage. You can count on Petro to have their D double quickly.
SU will definitely extend and see if we can handle the heat. Every action causes a reaction; if we move hard w/ and w/o the rock, we can create some good chances. Gonna need outstanding goalie play to stay in it...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Good podcast. I hadn't picked up that there were only 3 offensive turnovers against Cornell. And I was glad to hear Raymond single out Mott's off ball movement. Baker's point about the positioning of the O on clears was also important: it killed me to see Duby have a great takeaway, run it across midfield, get swarmed by Cornell players, and have to eat the ball because there were no outlet passes available.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Hopefully the refs keep and eye on SU's Kennedy. He takes some nasty head shot checks. Look at the 2019 game and how many times he hit Holden in the back of the head. He rides his stick up the attackman's back and jams it into the back of the helmet. Cuse is going to ride as hard as they can after watching the Cornell game tape. Other things Bart has to stop is leaving someone wide open on the crease, as well as letting a dodger go in for a shot untouched. LFG Bart!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”