Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:33 am
DMac wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 am This lefty's got some pretty good ideas, and jftr, I'll be making that shrimp one. Damn!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jne33lDx2XY
I'm sayin' today was a good day to make those.
Then all I'm sayin' is, oh, my, my, my, my, my!!
Crazy tasty!!!
Thanks a lot, DMac. I’m just sitting here on lunch break munching on my cold broccoli when I see this mouthwatering entree.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, as long as you're drooling, I made some desert too....strawberry tarts, yum.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:09 pm Well, as long as you're drooling, I made some desert too....strawberry tarts, yum.
THAT’S IT! I’M OUTTA HERE!
0E36C855-0E4C-42B8-BBCF-43739F5AC615.jpeg
0E36C855-0E4C-42B8-BBCF-43739F5AC615.jpeg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:09 pm Well, as long as you're drooling, I made some desert too....strawberry tarts, yum.
Is the Galloping Gourmet your alter ego? (Remember that show?) Seriously though—you post some very appetizing photographs.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Australia!

This is cool. I hope more players come to America for lacrosse. They seem to be a force in their own right although not as much recently.

https://twitter.com/worldlax2022/status ... 74403?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

What does a new coach bring?

With so many new coaches assuming the helm this offseason, I wonder how much of the coaching philosophy/strategy they'll bring from their previous teams, especially those who were assistants and are beginning a first time position as head coach. The most recent example is Kim Hillier. How much of what Hillier learned from Joe Spallina will she bring to Drexel? How much will be from what she learned as a player? How much will be her own philosophy? Same for Treanor, Anne Murray...

OuttaNowhereWregget

Joe Spallina

I don’t know how true, but there were rumors that Joe Spallina was being considered for the Syracuse women’s lacrosse head coach position. Will Spallina ever get an offer for a head coaching position in the ACC or Big 10? Or even in some of the higher profile programs in other conferences like the AAC, A10, Big East, et al? I hope so. I would love to see it.
LarryGamLax

Re: Joe Spallina

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:41 am I don’t know how true, but there were rumors that Joe Spallina was being considered for the Syracuse women’s lacrosse head coach position. Will Spallina ever get an offer for a head coaching position in the ACC or Big 10? Or even in some of the higher profile programs in other conferences like the AAC, A10, Big East, et al? I hope so. I would love to see it.

I keep trying to tell you guys, but you seem to be hard of hearing. JS is an LI guy, through and through. He loves it there. His extended family is there. The majority of his Lax connections are there. His kids lives are there.The most important thing to that guy is his family. Lacrosse is second. Understand?
These ACC and Big Ten jobs may be important to ya'll, but it's pretty impressive that he has made Stony Brook a National Power without the benefit or hype of a Power 5 conference. I think JMU won something in 2018(can't remember what it was) and did it by BEATING 3 teams from one of those "vaunted" :roll: conferences.

To sum it up...Family and Happiness does not mean you're not competitive or afraid. That describes Spallina...and he's still competitive as hell.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:05 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:41 am I don’t know how true, but there were rumors that Joe Spallina was being considered for the Syracuse women’s lacrosse head coach position. Will Spallina ever get an offer for a head coaching position in the ACC or Big 10? Or even in some of the higher profile programs in other conferences like the AAC, A10, Big East, et al? I hope so. I would love to see it.

I keep trying to tell you guys, but you seem to be hard of hearing. JS is an LI guy, through and through. He loves it there. His extended family is there. The majority of his Lax connections are there. His kids lives are there.The most important thing to that guy is his family. Lacrosse is second. Understand?
These ACC and Big Ten jobs may be important to ya'll, but it's pretty impressive that he has made Stony Brook a National Power without the benefit or hype of a Power 5 conference. I think JMU won something in 2018(can't remember what it was) and did it by BEATING 3 teams from one of those "vaunted" :roll: conferences.

To sum it up...Family and Happiness does not mean you're not competitive or afraid. That describes Spallina...and he's still competitive as hell.
I'll never truly understand your disdain for ACC/Big Ten/Ivy lacrosse as compared the smaller conferences and divisions but you do realize that JMU is the only team outside of those 3 conferences to win a national championship since 1985? So those 3 conferences aren't just viewed as important by "y'all".
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm

I'll never truly understand your disdain for ACC/Big Ten/Ivy lacrosse as compared the smaller conferences and divisions but you do realize that JMU is the only team outside of those 3 conferences to win a national championship since 1985? So those 3 conferences aren't just viewed as important by "y'all".

There is no disdain, but I have been around this a long time and I am not enthralled with things easily. Some people are hyped up about Women's Pro Lacrosse...not me. The time is not right. One of my clients is about to play in the ACC this school year. I'm thrilled for her and will be pushing her to destroy all who face her, but the ACC thing? Great, whatever. I love the sport, but don't care about the conference.
BTW...what conference was Northwestern in when they won their NCs??
OuttaNowhereWregget

See--this is what I'm talking about, Larry. I don't read every post on the women's lacrosse boards, and I haven't read every post of yours addressing Joe Spallina. You don't give me that benefit of the doubt however. Instead you scold and condescend as if I'm some rebellious obtuse teenager. I welcome your answer as I know you've been intimately involved in this sport for decades and know a boatload. But would it kill you to be more patient in answering questions on here? Must you frequently take that pedantic tone?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:26 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm

There is no disdain, but I have been around this a long time and I am not enthralled with things easily. Some people are hyped up about Women's Pro Lacrosse...not me. The time is not right. One of my clients is about to play in the ACC this school year. I'm thrilled for her and will be pushing her to destroy all who face her, but the ACC thing? Great, whatever. I love the sport, but don't care about the conference.
BTW...what conference was Northwestern in when they won their NCs??
Right so coaches aren't the only things that flock to the ACC/B1G/Ivies. Programs do to. There's a reason the B1G created a lacrosse conference and did something they've never done before and offer Hopkins a spot for one sport only.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Nice tribute to one of my favorite players: Lauren Gilbert

This video is a must watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3BnIl5vlg

This is a nice article as well.
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -in-oregon
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:05 pm JS is an LI guy, through and through.
I actually had this exact line typed out when I was drafting a response to this as well :lol: but I don't know Spallina or anyone close to him personally, and was just going off of public knowledge.

Getting to work basically in your home town, at a job you love, and raise 5 kids (oldest of which is still in HS) around your extended family. You can't beat it. I also think Spallina thrives off of coaching at a program from a non-major conference filled with overlooked players. He really knows how to bring out the best in them and get them to buy to the culture he's created at Stony Brook. I think he's also got unfinished business at SBU. He's been able to put it on the map, but hasn't made the trip to championship weekend yet.
OuttaNowhereWregget

westcoastlax wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 pm Nice tribute to one of my favorite players: Lauren Gilbert

This video is a must watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3BnIl5vlg

This is a nice article as well.
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -in-oregon
That was a very well done production showcasing Ms. Gilbert. One of my favorite Wildcats too--all the way from Oregon. Absolute money from free position. Last year she had 23 goals on 34 chances from the eight. The music chosen was fitting. Her transparency about her feelings when coach told her she had to step up her game was touching. She's a real joy to watch. Her blazing speed is thrilling. Thanks for sharing this.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is about as miscellaneous as it gets, but I'm not seeing any big reason why not so here's my round about lacrosse story.
My friend's daughter is a real big shot in this outfit, a very driven, bright and competitive gal makin' in the $200K/yr (plus some nice trips and other perks) ballpark as a thirty year old. Up at 5 A.M. kickboxing, working out, the whole routine, very fit girl (also very attractive, got it all going on). A pain in the asz millennial too, my mission is to get her all riled up anytime I'm around her....so far I've been pretty successful.
These guys do a lot of business with car dealerships, apparently their technology and way of presenting the product has been proven to be very successful/profitable, consequently business is booming for them and has been for a number years now. They're thinking about getting into motorcycles now, gonna start pitching them with all the reasons they need to use them too. So my buddy's got a Harley which Ms Big Shot told all the muckety-mucks at the muckety-muck meeting and suggested they could photograph his bike and use it as the demo for their pitch. When he told me about this, I insisted he put my little lacrosse stick somewhere on that bike. That's an absolute must for two reasons, 1. She'll know exactly where that idea came from and it'll make her a little crazy, and 2. that thing will be seen by a lot of people in many parts of the world. There will be some like us who say, now how cool is that....and of course many who say w*t*f is that. Gotta say, I'm kinda lovin' this meaningless little deal. Regardless of how insignificant there's still a lacrosse stick being put in front of people's eyes which is always a good thing in my book.
Here's the bike/stick:
Click on here and it gives you an idea of what they do.
https://spins.spincar.com/SCMotorcycle/dejohnspin1
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:06 pm Ms Big Shot told all the muckety-mucks at the muckety-muck meeting
LOL--love it.

Cool crosse!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac writes “…my mission is to get her all riled up anytime I'm around her....so far I've been pretty successful.”

Some guys have a talent.

Love the Little Alfie Jacques model on the bike. Sweet.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cool story about Liz Hogan and Charlotte North and how stick-stringing is tied up in their friendship. 😉

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSzkBG5LzyT ... =copy_link
OuttaNowhereWregget

I remembered a kind of sad story the other day. I was at a BC game against an Ivy league team at the Heights some years ago. It being a gloomy weekday early afternoon start time, there weren’t many of us there, mostly parents of players and a fan here and there. I got into a conversation with a gentleman who told me his daughter was playing for the opposing team and it was her first year. I got the impression he was well off by his dress and the way he carried himself. I could tell he was proud of his daughter. She was exceptional. I could tell she was going to be a standout. She clearly was more gifted than any of her teammates in addition to being bigger than most of them as well. We got to talking and the subject of the wives came up. We both found we had divorce in common. He said he would be staying in the Boston area so he could continue to be near his daughter and attend as many games as he could. When she graduated he thought perhaps he would move to another part of the country. We eventually ran out of things to say and wandered to places in the stands that were more suitable for preferred vantage points. I saw him now again during the course of the game. He looked forlorn. I imagine it’s tough for the student as well as the separated parents. Tough reality in the game in this day and age. I don’t know why I felt compelled to record this here but I did. Interesting the folks one meets at the games.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”