FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Justalaxdad

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Justalaxdad »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:13 am The distance between Nos. 1 and 2, and the rest of the known universe is at least oceanic, maybe intergalactic. Big. Wide. A lot.

1. BC -- Nothing to add here...except I'm starting to think that UNC has a pretty good shot.

2. UNC -- Nothing to add here...except I'm starting to think that UNC has a pretty good shot. Watched the first half of the NU game: never in doubt. The BC Clash is going to be an epic match.

3. Northwestern -- NU's record is, at this point, lost to UNC and BC, and beat everyone else so far. Have to leave them here for now. SBU on Wednesday.

4. Syracuse -- kept them at No. 4, and I guess I must be considering the Notre Dame loss an unfortunate night at the theatre with Mrs. Lincoln.

5. Loyola -- Nice W against We Are. Hounds stay where they were last week too.

6. Stony Brook -- you have to admit, Joe takes on whoever will play his kids. Travelled into the Gator's Mouth in Gainesville and hung on to win.

7. Maryland -- beat William & Mary, will crunch Villanova, and then square up against Rutgers. No reason at this point to move them up or down.

[From about here on I really have no idea how and where to rank the rest of the teams.]

8. Princeton -- not impressed by the outing with Cornell (although I agree with ONW that when the high SAT scores square off, it's hard to figure), but keeping them here until further movement by another team or a stumble by the Tigers.

9. Rutgers -- crushed Nova. So...what? Thought about switching Michigan and Rutgers, and have a feeling Michigan might be better. Good midweek game against a well-coached Temple team.

10. Michigan -- Wolves are 7-0, having played one team (no offense!!) of any consequence: Notre Dame. I think they're good. I just need a little more data. Denver game this Sunday should be telling.

11. Notre Dame -- whether we like it or not, they are a pretty good team.

12. Denver -- may be better than Notre Dame. Gonna find out in six days.

13. Duke -- I have to admit that I was impressed by their speed and ball movement. Defense needs some discipline.

14. UVA -- Lost to the Domers. Mid-week game against Richmond followed by Saturday game against Cuse, both at Klockner. Is the Richmond game a must win for this season? Think so...

15. Florida -- impressed by the comeback against SBU, and actually think they have some terrific athletes. The foul by Heller at the end of the SBU game was really unnecessary, unreasonable and vicious. You have to discipline your team against doing that sort of stuff.

16. JHU -- beat Georgetown and Drexel pretty handily (although I didn't see the games).

17. JMU.

18. Richmond.

19. Temple.

20. Colorado.
Come on, you consider Syracuse’s loss to ND and fortunate night??? Might want to go back and check that box score

Somewhere I hear Randy Miss screaming “C’mon man”
Last edited by Justalaxdad on Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Who is this "Dr. Tact" character who, alone among the pollsters, has Loyola apparently outside the top ten? What is with that guy?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:41 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:13 am The distance between Nos. 1 and 2, and the rest of the known universe is at least oceanic, maybe intergalactic. Big. Wide. A lot.

1. BC -- Nothing to add here...except I'm starting to think that UNC has a pretty good shot.

2. UNC -- Nothing to add here...except I'm starting to think that UNC has a pretty good shot. Watched the first half of the NU game: never in doubt. The BC Clash is going to be an epic match.

3. Northwestern -- NU's record is, at this point, lost to UNC and BC, and beat everyone else so far. Have to leave them here for now. SBU on Wednesday.

4. Syracuse -- kept them at No. 4, and I guess I must be considering the Notre Dame loss an unfortunate night at the theatre with Mrs. Lincoln.

6. Stony Brook -- you have to admit, Joe takes on whoever will play his kids. Travelled into the Gator's Mouth in Gainesville and hung on to win.

7. Maryland -- beat William & Mary, will crunch Villanova, and then square up against Rutgers. No reason at this point to move them up or down.

[From about here on I really have no idea how and where to rank the rest of the teams.]

8. Princeton -- not impressed by the outing with Cornell (although I agree with ONW that when the high SAT scores square off, it's hard to figure), but keeping them here until further movement by another team or a stumble by the Tigers.

9. Rutgers -- crushed Nova. So...what? Thought about switching Michigan and Rutgers, and have a feeling Michigan might be better. Good midweek game against a well-coached Temple team.

10. Michigan -- Wolves are 7-0, having played one team (no offense!!) of any consequence: Notre Dame. I think they're good. I just need a little more data. Denver game this Sunday should be telling.

13. Duke -- I have to admit that I was impressed by their speed and ball movement. Defense needs some discipline.

14. UVA -- Lost to the Domers. Mid-week game against Richmond followed by Saturday game against Cuse, both at Klockner. Is the Richmond game a must win for this season? Think so...

15. Florida -- impressed by the comeback against SBU, and actually think they have some terrific athletes. The foul by Heller at the end of the SBU game was really unnecessary, unreasonable and vicious. You have to discipline your team against doing that sort of stuff.

16. JHU -- beat Georgetown and Drexel pretty handily (although I didn't see the games).

17. JMU.

18. Richmond.

19. Temple.

20. Colorado.
Come on, you consider Syracuse’s loss to ND and fortunate night??? Might want to go back and check that box score
Dad, I am sorry; I don't understand what you're asking me. Help?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:42 pm

17. JMU.

18. Richmond.

19. Temple.

20. Colorado.
Syracuse BEAT ND. Just having a little fun with ya.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:42 pm Who is this "Dr. Tact" character who, alone among the pollsters, has Loyola apparently outside the top ten? What is with that guy?
From my biography located here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideshow_Bob

Bob's intelligence serves him in many ways. During the episode "Cape Feare", for example, the parole board asks Bob why he has a tattoo that says "Die, Bart, Die". Bob replies that it is German for "The, Bart, The"; members of the board are impressed by his reasoning. Believing that "nobody who speaks German could be an evil man", they release him. However, his love of high culture is sometimes used against him. In the same episode, Bob agrees to perform the operetta H.M.S. Pinafore in its entirety as a last request for Bart. The tactic stalls Bob long enough for the police to arrest him.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/WDI/polls

I realize this is the fanlax forum poll, but will someone help me understand the IL poll, please.

UVA ranked higher than Notre Dame, didn't Notre Dame just beat Virginia? Has Virginia beaten a good team yet?

Vanderbilt ranked higher than Colorado? This baffles me more. CO just handily beat Vanderbilt this weekend, they are 6-0 (I think) and have beaten some solid teams. If polls are just a snap shot of "today", Colorado is a better team then Vanderbilt and Notre Dame is a better team than UVA.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, the top 2 teams are in a class by themselves right now, an maybe there isn't that much difference in the teams ranked 3-30????
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:48 pm

17. JMU.

18. Richmond.

19. Temple.

20. Colorado.
Understood, and I am acknowledging that: I am saying: Syracuse is better than UND, notwithstanding the fact that -- unfortunately -- Syracuse lost to UND.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:00 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/WDI/polls

I realize this is the fanlax forum poll, but will someone help me understand the IL poll, please.

UVA ranked higher than Notre Dame, didn't Notre Dame just beat Virginia? Has Virginia beaten a good team yet?

Vanderbilt ranked higher than Colorado? This baffles me more. CO just handily beat Vanderbilt this weekend, they are 6-0 (I think) and have beaten some solid teams. If polls are just a snap shot of "today", Colorado is a better team then Vanderbilt and Notre Dame is a better team than UVA.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, the top 2 teams are in a class by themselves right now, an maybe there isn't that much difference in the teams ranked 3-30????
I can't help you with this. You might try "beer." Beer seems to help. I use the Lawson's Brave Little State (if I need to keep thinking) or Lawson's Double Sunshine (if there is no equipment usage in the near term). DMac will have his own remedies.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:05 pm

17. JMU.

18. Richmond.

19. Temple.

20. Colorado.
Understood, and I am acknowledging that: I am saying: Syracuse is better than UND, notwithstanding the fact that -- unfortunately -- Syracuse lost to UND.
Are you using UND as an abbreviation for Northwestern or have you hit the Lawson's early today? Syracuse lost to Northwestern. Not UND(Notre Dame)
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:13 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:05 pm

17. JMU.

18. Richmond.

19. Temple.

20. Colorado.
Are you using UND as an abbreviation for Northwestern or have you hit the Lawson's early today? Syracuse lost to Northwestern. Not UND(Notre Dame)
Yes. Cold sober and I still got it all wrong. Back to bed.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:07 pm
TNLAX wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:00 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/WDI/polls

I can't help you with this. You might try "beer." Beer seems to help. I use the Lawson's Brave Little State (if I need to keep thinking) or Lawson's Double Sunshine (if there is no equipment usage in the near term). DMac will have his own remedies.
Advice well taken :)
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

1. Some teams have plenty of data. Others do not. When these teams (e.g. Stony Brook, Notre Dame Harvard, etc.) get more Ws, they'll move up the rankings. In other words, when they get more Ws, Stony Brook will move up, Notre Dame will move up, Florida will for sure move up, etc.
2. The Columns are Rankings, Teams, GP=Games Played, W%=Winning Percentage, SOS=Strength of Schedule, W=Win Ranking (based on 3 Best Wins), L=Loss Ranking (based on 3 Worst Losses).
3. Syracuse is ranked #1 in Wins and #18 in Losses and is the #1 ranked team. Good wins are more important than losses. But bad losses are not good. SU's loss to Northwestern is not a "bad loss". At least not bad enough to off-set their #1 Win Ranking.
4. Lastly, each team is judged based on their Ws and Ls in 2022 and the quality of those Ws and Ls in 2022, each team's 2022 resume. Period.

“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:42 pm Who is this "Dr. Tact" character who, alone among the pollsters, has Loyola apparently outside the top ten? What is with that guy?
Serious answer....I dont want to rank Loyola as I cant objectively put them anywhere. I really believe that the top teams are two, then you have 3-6. 9-10 are looking to break into the top tier. Beyond that, is swamp...no clarity at all.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:22 am
Serious answer....I dont want to rank Loyola as I cant objectively put them anywhere. I really believe that the top teams are two, then you have 3-6. 9-10 are looking to break into the top tier. Beyond that, is swamp...no clarity at all.
Totally understand, and can't really disagree with you. And outside the top ten is really impossible to rank. A Loyola-SBU game or a Loyola-Maryland game would clear a little of this up. Is Maryland really No. 3 or 4? Terps are improved for sure; but top five???
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:33 am
Totally understand, and can't really disagree with you. And outside the top ten is really impossible to rank. A Loyola-SBU game or a Loyola-Maryland game would clear a little of this up. Is Maryland really No. 3 or 4? Terps are improved for sure; but top five???
Cordingley has made them better offensively. The drop off is big from her to the rest of the goal scorers - May/Leubecker/Smith/Clevenger/Griffin. If she is faceguarded and removed from scoring at will, those 5 will need to pick it up. Virginia may not be as good as we thought they would be (tough schedule), but they have a good win with FLA.

Right now, I dont think MD beats a Cuse, UNC, BC, or NU. So, they should at least be #5 if not lower.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:49 am
Cordingley has made them better offensively. The drop off is big from her to the rest of the goal scorers - May/Leubecker/Smith/Clevenger/Griffin. If she is faceguarded and removed from scoring at will, those 5 will need to pick it up. Virginia may not be as good as we thought they would be (tough schedule), but they have a good win with FLA.

Right now, I dont think MD beats a Cuse, UNC, BC, or NU. So, they should at least be #5 if not lower.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Maryland played and defeated Northwestern or Syracuse. I think Maryland plays a more disciplined brand of lacrosse at this point in the season.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:58 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:49 am

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Maryland played and defeated Northwestern or Syracuse. I think Maryland plays a more disciplined brand of lacrosse at this point in the season.
You may be right. I havent watched them play, but some highlights.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Week 4

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

1 BC
2 NC
3 Princeton
4 Syracuse
5 NU

6 Denver
7 Loyola
8 Maryland
9 Stony Brook
10 Rutgers

11 Duke
12 Michigan
13 Virginia Tech
14 Notre Dame
15 Florida

16 Penn St
17 Virginia
18 USC
19 Stanford
20 Navy

21 Army
22 Harvard
23 Towson
24 James Madison
25 Johns Hopkins
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Polls due at noon EST...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Mostly clueless, completely biased, and all ratings are pretty much arbitrary and final:

1. BC -- Beat Denver in the Frostbite Classic, then thumped Yale indoors. Here at least until next week.

2. UNC -- beat Mercer and Lousville. Instead of going to church, travelling to the hostile north on Sunday.

3. Northwestern -- beat SBU at home. I actually think Syracuse is better than Northwestern, but have to slot them here due to the head to head win over the Orange.

4. Syracuse -- good win over UVA in Charlottesville. If the defense comes around -- and 11 goals to UVA on Virginia's field is a decent result in this respect -- they will play on Memorial Day weekend.

5. Loyola -- win over a tough and physical Florida team, without all purpose midfielder for the last 11 minutes of the game. Beat Georgetown by ten and no one really cared, except the kid who got a broken nose.

6. Maryland -- beat Nova by a lot. Next up is undefeated Rutgers on Sunday, on the weird field hockey venue, where the ball sticks in the fence after rolling quickly out of bounds.

7. Stony Brook -- rebounded to beat Hopkins after a tough loss to NU. The move in my poll from 6 to 7 is only because I am starting to believe that Maryland is pretty good.

8. Princeton -- beat USC soundly in Lala Land; went south to San Diego and played a football game. If they stay undefeated after this weekend's game at Penn State, the Tigers face an almost certainly unbeaten Loyola in a Wednesday night game in Baltimore, where people think its "really cold" when it's 43 degrees.

9. Denver -- shaping up as the team no one wants to play in the first round or the quarters of the NCAA tournament. Showed some real toughness to overcome an 8-5 deficit in Ann Arbor to win 9-8. Only losses are to BC and a couple of ear tips to frostbite.

10. Duke -- there: I did it. Duke in the top ten. I know Penn is in a down year, but still, 21-10 over a well-coached and pretty disciplined team is noteworthy. They move the ball well on offense, have a lot of good players, and attack from multiple points on the field. I do, however, hate myself.

11. Michigan -- the loss to Denver means that Michigan has beaten one team of consequence. Not sure how good they are yet.

12. Rutgers -- see No. 6, above.

13. Virginia Tech -- rounding into shape under the new regime.

14. Notre Dame -- a good team mired in mediocrity; tell me why?

15. UVA -- a good team mired in mediocrity; tell me why?

16. Florida -- on the cusp of being labeled "thuggish."

17. USC -- nice weather for that Princeton game, huh?

18. JHU -- is it just sentimental putting them here? They play better fundamentals than the JHU men's team, so there's that.

19. Penn State -- weird team. Just weird.

20. Colorado -- I like Boulder; great town, good food, great bike paths, easily accessible rock climbing.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”