Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by laxfan1313 »

QK has Cornell at #5 this week. Big test on Sunday vs his #2 Penn State. One way to fix the faceoff issue is to have neutral refs. In Charlotte, that is likely. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tter/56075
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I think this is a more realistic ranking prior to the Penn State game: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ens-top-20
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Good news!!! Lax Sports Network (LSN) says at the end of their highlight video that they will be streaming PSU vs Cornell at 4PM on Sunday. Sorry the direct link to the video doesn't copy properly. Here's their home page link: https://www.ftfnext.com/lsn
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am I think this is a more realistic ranking prior to the Penn State game: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ens-top-20
I fear that might be more realistic after the PSU game...

Not sure how Cornell is behind ND, though. Guess ND's loss to Maryland was more impressive the Cornell's win on the road over OSU?
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:24 am QK has Cornell at #5 this week. Big test on Sunday vs his #2 Penn State. One way to fix the faceoff issue is to have neutral refs. In Charlotte, that is likely. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tter/56075
Am curious, of the 30 OSU face off wins, how many of them would you say were the result of biased officiating?
This was a strange game from a TO perspective. Twenty five by OSU, they just kept giving the ball back to Cornell all day, yet the Big Red were only up by a few/couple on the scoreboard. The O was everything many have noted it was, but it felt as if Cornell should have been up by double digits and taken OSU out of the game, but that was hardly the case. Am sure many Cornell faithful were on the edge of their seats as this one wound down when it felt as if they should have been celebating the W way earlier on in the game. GBs favor Cornell by eight too.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Cornell played VERY hard but looked like they were playing clean and smart as well. OSU couldn't match that intensity without committing penalties. Besides face offs, Cornell look very good. OSU has a few talented players and they are hard to shut down completely. I am very impressed by Cornell and am glad they have a good team that will hopefully go pretty far in the tournament, so more people can watch Teat.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am I think this is a more realistic ranking prior to the Penn State game: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ens-top-20
I fear that might be more realistic after the PSU game...

Not sure how Cornell is behind ND, though. Guess ND's loss to Maryland was more impressive the Cornell's win on the road over OSU?
I’m fine with a nine rank and highest I would put us is 8 based on our and others resumes to date. The next three weeks give us the opportunity to definitively prove we belong in the top 5. QK says our FO is not fixed, certainly the stats from yesterday support his statement. My view is our FO is improved and yesterday will help us get better and next Sunday FO stats will be better than yesterday and closer to 50/50 (almost as fun as predicting scores). Petrakis is a competitor as all high level wrestlers have to be and I’m sure he is determined to compete at the X and win, same as the middle of the mat with all eyes for the showdown, wrestlers live for that.

We can’t afford to have let downs next week, never be comfortable. Each FO, each offensive and defensive possession matters. We need to be hungry from first to last whistle.
Last edited by RedIvy on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Ops. Split faceoffs next week and Red would beat PSU in high scoring affair. Red offense is more diverse thus harder to plan for and defend
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I have also observed Doria’s More controlled approach and penalty free play. He and Cornell didn’t deserve that penalty. I think his play has matured nicely from last year to this. This along with the addition of Adler has helped our D improve year over year.

What made the bias in referee calls clear to me was our unnessary roughness of 2 minutes and Ohio States assessed at 1 minute. Other calls can be hard based on action, however In assessing time officials have plenty of opportunity to get it right with input from the entire officiating team. I was suspect about the bias and this call made it clear to me.

At the end of the day we seemed to score more at even then up, maybe difference between zone and man to man defense. 5 on 5 was man up for our offense too. But a lot of the no calls or bad calls would have been possession benefits which would have mattered.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

stupefied wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:31 am Ops. Split faceoffs next week and Red would beat PSU in high scoring affair. Red offense is more diverse thus harder to plan for and defend
Agree and what I’m hoping for, but maybe I’ve got my wishbone confused with my backbone.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

While I will "hate" the Big Red in a few weeks, I will say, they are the best passing team I've watched this season. Yale & PSU aren't far behind you. Goo
d luck this season and rep CNY lacrosse proud!
Last edited by oldbartman on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Cornell Men's Lacrosse Sweep Weekly Honors
After leading Cornell to a win over No. 16 Ohio State, the Big Red swept this week’s men’s lacrosse awards. Junior attackman John Piatelli was named Ivy League Player of the Week, while freshman attackman Michael Long was dubbed Rookie of the Week for the second straight week.
Well deserved. Go Big Red!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

That 4th quarter was absolutely war. The same thing with the Ivy/Big match up between Penn and PSU, they were both all out. Oddly enough, by the end of the OSU game, I walked away thinking just how good OSU was. Boy did they shoot themselves in the foot over and over.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Trumansburger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:41 pm Cornell Men's Lacrosse Sweep Weekly Honors
After leading Cornell to a win over No. 16 Ohio State, the Big Red swept this week’s men’s lacrosse awards. Junior attackman John Piatelli was named Ivy League Player of the Week, while freshman attackman Michael Long was dubbed Rookie of the Week for the second straight week.
Well deserved. Go Big Red!
This was great recognition by the League of a well played game. Of note, Michael Sowers put up a very respectable nine points against Johns Hopkins on Saturday. It was refreshing to see John Piatelli's efforts honored in the face of such commendable competition. Also, great to see Michael Long honored again.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

A very perceptive analysis VRR, as usual. I've interspersed some comments.
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:04 pm Adler violated a cardinal rule with 50+ seconds left after Cornell gained possession when he passed to Duggan in the middle of the field in front of his own goal. Duggan got checked partially from behind by LeClair. 'Should have passed back to an uncovered Ierlan.
Excellent point. He's a sophomore and still has lots to learn.

If you've watched the men's hockey team this year, this is one lesson they've learned very well. A few years ago breaking out of their own zone was always an adventure. But now they always have open options, with passing backwards being integral to their breaking down a strong forecheck.

Back to lacrosse, against an excellent riding team like OSU, I'd also lay this mistake on the coaches. Adler, and others, could have made a mistake like this at any point in the game, and the coaches should have worked on the clear so something like this wouldn't happen. It's one thing if they beat you because they're better; it's quite another if they beat you because of your bonehead mistakes.
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:04 pm -Face-offs made this one close. Besides being quick, Ianacio must be really strong. I never would have thought a combo like Raz and Petrakis would be dominated like they were (with the exception of an Ierlan and maybe Gallagher). When he didn't overpower Raz/Petrakis, the OSU wing play was SUPERB. 34 is was as good as it gets. Milliman tried everything, e.g., Salvatore (bad move, it disrupts the 6 on 6 D) and Telesco as a wing in the 2nd half to get more size.
On my telly, it was the wings more than the FOGOs who accounted for OSU's dominance. They had big, fast, athletic guys on the wings, and we couldn't counter. Also, I'm by no means knowledgeable about face-off technique, but on the telly it seemed our guys (1) didn't use their legs to the same advantage as Ianacio and (2) tried to flip the ball sooner, which often backfired because Ianacio kept pressure on the ball, and instead of it flipping out, he was able to rake and take it.

As RedIvy wrote, OSU held onto the ball despite repeated hard checks. I was surprised Milliman didn't ask for at least check of the pockets on OSU sticks.
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:04 pm -For those most part, I thought Bardwell and Duggan held up really well. Coach M tried to minimize Buczek and Blake's PT, but 17 and 5 can't play the whole game, especially when you're losing most face-offs.
I was surprised B&B made so many mistakes with fundamentals: lunging at the the ball instead of keeping their positions, watching the stick instead of the body, ...
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:04 pm -Fletcher developed an "itchy trigger finger" in the 4th quarter. 'A real change in his shot selection from the 3 prior games. Inopportune timing.
He wasn't the only one. I think about half the attack in the fourth quarter completely ignored the clock and score. They need to play according to the game situation.
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:04 pm -Very physical game. Lots of CU penalties. But the man-down D held up very well.
Yes! Kudos to the man-down D. A bit weaker, and we lose the game.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Hi Ezra! Great to see you back posting again!
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

In anticipation of this Sunday's game with Penn State, I watched almost 5 minutes of Penn State's Arceri vs. Inacio face-off highlights from last season's PSU-Ohio State game. The two really went at it (that's putting it mildly); they were pretty even with Inacio looking to have had the advantage on the day.
The major takeaway for me is that once both FOGOS clamped the ball, Inacio was the player who continued to drive into the ball, while Arceri was looking more to maintain a neutral position. That's exactly what happened to Raz on Sunday. In fact, I thought Petrakis competed better on the initial clamp than Raz.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:28 am In fact, I thought Petrakis competed better on the initial clamp than Raz.
I thought so, too. Many times Petrakis appeared to "win" the face-off but couldn't control the ball after it came free.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gobigred wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:28 am In fact, I thought Petrakis competed better on the initial clamp than Raz.
I thought so, too. Many times Petrakis appeared to "win" the face-off but couldn't control the ball after it came free.
that was probably a great learning experience for him. top flite fogo opponent, wings crashing much faster than in h.s.
taking the split second to exit in the area of greenest space or to an open wing will come. takes reps.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Ezra White wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm A very perceptive analysis VRR, as usual. I've interspersed some comments.
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:04 pm Adler violated a cardinal rule with 50+ seconds left after Cornell gained possession when he passed to Duggan in the middle of the field in front of his own goal. Duggan got checked partially from behind by LeClair. 'Should have passed back to an uncovered Ierlan.
Excellent point. He's a sophomore and still has lots to learn.

If you've watched the men's hockey team this year, this is one lesson they've learned very well. A few years ago breaking out of their own zone was always an adventure. But now they always have open options, with passing backwards being integral to their breaking down a strong forecheck.

Back to lacrosse, against an excellent riding team like OSU, I'd also lay this mistake on the coaches. Adler, and others, could have made a mistake like this at any point in the game, and the coaches should have worked on the clear so something like this wouldn't happen. It's one thing if they beat you because they're better; it's quite
you can practice rules and systems until you're blue in the face. there's no substitute for last minute in-game mania against a desperate opponent.
Ezra White wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm As RedIvy wrote, OSU held onto the ball despite repeated hard checks. I was surprised Milliman didn't ask for at least check of the pockets on OSU sticks.
90+% of coaches aren't ever calling for a stick check. particularly in upstate ny. unwritten code and pride.
almost all of the sticks pass anyhoo, set to pretty tight tolerances within the rules. coaches don't leave much to chance nowadays.
but these guys find ways to get the hold they want.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”