Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
fastgame

Re: Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

Post by fastgame »

Suskypride wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:15 am Dartmouth? SBU was established, but RS took that program to NCAA quarters and gave UVA all they wanted. Then, he resurrected the SJU program...
THAT"S how one can compare. ;)
Resurrected SJU....RS left that program in shambles among other bad culture issues. Miller, and Paccione cleaned up his mess. They deserve all the credit, not RS.
Maybe Miller cleaned up the mess, but since he took over in 2007, SJU has an overall 61-119 record, not sure that would be considered a resurrection? Last time the Storm had a winning year was in 2013 (9-4).
calourie

Post by calourie »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:09 pm College Crosse twitter

Cleveland State head coach Dylan Sheridan will take an assistant coaching spot at Ohio State, multiple sources tell @College_Crosse. Sheridan recently led the Vikings to an 8-7 mark in their 3rd season.
That is an interesting progression. Don't know much about the Viking program, but if I recall remotely correctly many of their results make it look like they competed well against a wide range of competition, and assume Sheridan was the coach the entire life of the program. Cleveland State made what was for me a very interesting sports add by committing to a D1 Lacrosse involvement, and am curious to hear how the effort is seen by those who follow it more closely than I, and who they choose as HC to carry the program along from here. Is there any talk of CSU being conference bound ? A shot at an NCAA tournament slot has to be seen as at least somewhat promotional from a recruiting standpoint.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

calourie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Cleveland State head coach Dylan Sheridan will take an assistant coaching spot at Ohio State, multiple sources tell @College_Crosse. Sheridan recently led the Vikings to an 8-7 mark in their 3rd season.
That is an interesting progression. Don't know much about the Viking program, but if I recall remotely correctly many of their results make it look like they competed well against a wide range of competition, and assume Sheridan was the coach the entire life of the program. Cleveland State made what was for me a very interesting sports add by committing to a D1 Lacrosse involvement, and am curious to hear how the effort is seen by those who follow it more closely than I, and who they choose as HC to carry the program along from here. Is there any talk of CSU being conference bound ? A shot at an NCAA tournament slot has to be seen as at least somewhat promotional from a recruiting standpoint.
I've heard that CSU has struggled to join a conference, and perhaps that had something to do with the decision. With all due respect to the university, it doesn't seem like the kind of job that a young coach like Sheridan would want to stay in forever, so maybe he thought that he can accomplish his career goals better by working with Myers for a much bigger, more competitive program that's only two hours away—even if it's technically a demotion. I wouldn't be surprised if an assistant's salary at Ohio State is not too far off the mark of what the head coach at a brand new midwest program like CSU gets. In any case, it would appear to be a quality hire by the Buckeyes in replacing Ross.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

fastgame wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:15 am Dartmouth? SBU was established, but RS took that program to NCAA quarters and gave UVA all they wanted. Then, he resurrected the SJU program...
Resurrected SJU....RS left that program in shambles among other bad culture issues. Miller, and Paccione cleaned up his mess. They deserve all the credit, not RS.
Maybe Miller cleaned up the mess, but since he took over in 2007, SJU has an overall 61-119 record, not sure that would be considered a resurrection? Last time the Storm had a winning year was in 2013 (9-4).
I can’t argue the recent results but the program is clean now and players are graduating. 2013 was a special year. Wins over #1 ND at ND, I believe Yale also.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Suskypride wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:56 pm
fastgame wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 pm
I can’t argue the recent results but the program is clean now and players are graduating. 2013 was a special year. Wins over #1 ND at ND, I believe Yale also.
Check your posts, you were the own who claimed the resurrection from RS.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Suskypride wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:45 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm
Suskypride wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:58 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm
Bailed out at SJU after first two seasons of play @ 6-20/.230 and headed east on the LIE to pick-up where Tiffany left off with SBU @ 18-13/.580?
👍🏻🎯
My bad, did Lars win any NCAA games at SBU? Exactly
Hahaha!! Now RS is better then Lars??...
Not saying that, but Lars did learn from RS...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 pm

I've heard that CSU has struggled to join a conference, and perhaps that had something to do with the decision. With all due respect to the university, it doesn't seem like the kind of job that a young coach like Sheridan would want to stay in forever, so maybe he thought that he can accomplish his career goals better by working with Myers for a much bigger, more competitive program that's only two hours away—even if it's technically a demotion. I wouldn't be surprised if an assistant's salary at Ohio State is not too far off the mark of what the head coach at a brand new midwest program like CSU gets. In any case, it would appear to be a quality hire by the Buckeyes in replacing Ross.
Certainly each position and institution has unique situations, but being the head coach, at a startup seems like a win win AND you get a free pass for not excelling simply because of that situation.
Sure makes you wonder.... if they coach for the right reason, want an easier role driving a bus full of talent, or just head coaching is not it’s all cracked up to be?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Certainly each position and institution has unique situations, but being the head coach, at a startup seems like a win win AND you get a free pass for not excelling simply because of that situation.
Sure makes you wonder.... if they coach for the right reason, want an easier role driving a bus full of talent, or just head coaching is not it’s all cracked up to be?
One of the lower paying job in D1 and even worse pay for assistants. Correct me if I'm wrong I think only one of the paid positions is full time and the top one makes very little. Until they're in a conference there's not much else to do there. I would bet its a pay raise and Cle St will only keep coaches for a couple years if they continue down this path.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:21 pm
Suskypride wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:45 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm
Suskypride wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:58 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm
Bailed out at SJU after first two seasons of play @ 6-20/.230 and headed east on the LIE to pick-up where Tiffany left off with SBU @ 18-13/.580?
👍🏻🎯
My bad, did Lars win any NCAA games at SBU? Exactly
Hahaha!! Now RS is better then Lars??...
Not saying that, but Lars did learn from RS...
I’m just breaking your chops. Let’s let this thread go back to its original purpose.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So I kind of have to ask, as respectfully as can possibly be done here, did you hear this information, war to the ground, from your network of sources, or the IL bit about their struggles finding a conference and how the MAAC told them to pound sand? Clearly IL tried their hardest to imply that he left largely over that, which is totally plausible. If that we’re the case, not knowing jack about the guy other than limited observation, but thought he wasn’t a social climber type (Pat Myers, john haus, Bill dirrgl, arguable both RSowell and Matt kerwick, etc) but rather at least somewhat interested in a long term build/relationship. If that’s at all true, then it’s a serious dilemma for cleveland st and perhaps even existential. This was a pure yuppie dough/marketing grab for the school being largely urban and commuter. It’s only been a few years, at least with some success and positive momentum. But how will their board/admin evaluate the results to date on the overall institution. IMO, less than 5yrs would be a mistake to pull the plug. But a weak/cheap HC option most likely won’t provide the positive momentum and improved external perception to motivate any conferences to want to open their doors. Any “real”/legit/serious hire I would only imagine could be done assuming no Iocked conference plan/expectation to at least need to come with a comp premium to market and/or perhaps a very detailed plan to get to a conference,possibly with other resource commitments. The third option of just shoe stringing it and seeing if they can catch a big payoff on a cheap option seems most likely to fail and end the program (any of here younger cats recall Presbyterian trying out D1 lacrosse?). And the signal of that would accelerate likely elimination of the progrAm. Don’t know enough to know what the optimal decision would be, but I’d be it again disappointed with insulated higher ed leadership
For a pathetic attempt at management
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Homer

Post by Homer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm So I kind of have to ask, as respectfully as can possibly be done here, did you hear this information, war to the ground, from your network of sources, or the IL bit about their struggles finding a conference and how the MAAC told them to pound sand?
I mean, they're not in a conference now. So either they don't want to be in one or they're having trouble finding one to take them -- this seems less like insider info than a self-evident fact.

If that we’re the case, not knowing jack about the guy other than limited observation, but thought he wasn’t a social climber type (Pat Myers, john haus, Bill dirrgl, arguable both RSowell and Matt kerwick, etc) but rather at least somewhat interested in a long term build/relationship.
The guy's Bill Tierney's son-in-law, for crissakes. If we want to speculate about complex psychological motivations related to ego, self-definition, etc, page Dr. Freud and I'm sure we'll have material to play with for years.

This was a pure yuppie dough/marketing grab for the school being largely urban and commuter.
Got that right. Truth be told, I think something like this is the underlying institutional motivation for most of the new D1 programs we've seen in the last decade. CSU (and St. Bonaventure) were just unusually explicit about saying so.

What that also means is the school's going to be measuring the success or failure of this initiative by criteria very different from those of us who pay attention to the on-field results of the lacrosse team as a competitive enterprise. It's too bad, because CSU really was making impressive progress as an on-field entity. Hope maybe they can keep that going with whoever comes next.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Assistant news, notable for sure, Drexel's hiring Tucker Durkin. Dragons now have three Blue Jay alums on their coaching staff. The Drexel Blue Dragons? https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/7/15 ... is-collins
118:24 #HHH
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

What a great hire :!:
Durkin is one of the very best, maybe even a hall of famer, few have had the footwork Durkin has or had.
Drexel is throwing the kitchen sink into next year, their largest and possibly highest profile senior class - no transfers, all in house, no 1st team all americans, but still good talent.
That’s asking a lot, to meet “all” your goals in one season. But maybe Voelker has longer term plans, and so is shooting the works now.
No matter.
Still, a great hire.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Xanders twitter
Breaking: Former Harvard head coach Chris Wojcik will head to South Bend as a @NDlacrosse assistant, according to multiple sources. Story coming on @Inside_Lacrosse.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

All the best to coach Woj!
“I wish you would!”
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Anyone have the updated list as to what head jobs are still open??
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Doxology wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 am Anyone have the updated list as to what head jobs are still open??
It's just Hampton and Cleveland State, although at this point I suspect CSU may stick with the interim tag. There are a number of assistant jobs still open though.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Per College Crosse, looks like Hampton has their guy. Rashad Devoe, former Navy Prep and Beloit head coach. Interesting hire. Apparently Chazz Woodson was also interested but he "supports the hire." Now to schedule the rest of their games... https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/8/6/ ... carter-lax
118:24 #HHH

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”