Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:35 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:39 pm I remember recently reading when JHU changed 12.5% of undergrads were legacies. That was reduced to 3.5% in 2019?
my extremely well-qualified child, with parents who are both alums and who had been strong donors and supporters of the university, was recently summarily rejected, if that's indicative of anything. rejection letter came during the Navy/Delaware weekend of success, which made it so much more special. so yeah, makes one feel pretty stupid to care about an institution that couldn't care less about you. school will never see another dime from me (as if they care). and trying to stop caring about the lacrosse program, even though I do care and have enjoyed caring immensely in the past. great way to ruin a community. but hey, how about that US News ranking? and check out those diversity stats.
If only RD could find the Ivy League job of his dreams and move on to greener pastures...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Speaking of managing to the USNWR benchmark the Med School has dropped to 4 I read nkt long ago.

I stopped giving when they let perhaps the world’s best Dr in his field leave. A close Dr to us and a close friend. You will still get fund raising letters though. Still have a lot of ties to the program though.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:01 am Speaking of managing to the USNWR benchmark the Med School has dropped to 4 I read nkt long ago.

I stopped giving when they let perhaps the world’s best Dr in his field leave. A close Dr to us and a close friend. You will still get fund raising letters though. Still have a lot of ties to the program though.
Are you talking about in the Med School or at Homewood. I think we have talked in the past about this and I think we are talking about the same guy over in the Engineering depart. If it is the same guy, Daniels was selected over him and he left - I would argue to greener pastures than having to deal with the direction that Daniels has taken Hopkins. And if the current Med school rankings have dropped so much that is absolutely on Daniels.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:31 am Koleton Marquis is going to be a fun one to watch at Homewood:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cco0NzlMLCp/

If the Under Armour team is smart they'll put him in the All-America game this summer (at Homewood again) for the viral highlight potential alone.
Nice try '16 but with the cast of characters around here I recommend the following procedure instead:
- Go directly to the nearest Lowe's or Home Depot
- Or have Jeff B. send you this
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-30403-Jac ... 50281&th=1
- Center item directly in the middle of your forehead
- Smack and repeat until the idiocacy repeated here goes away
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:20 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:17 pm https://www.testudotimes.com/2022/4/21/ ... st-rivalry
-cummings talks about how he participated in a bible study led by Hopkins lacrosse players while he was in hs. I remember them having one in mccoy or wolman for student athletes but I don't remember hs kids. walters talks about how he and harrison became close after harrison graduated. Some of the best coverage in lacrosse comes from the student type newspapers/media at these schools and it's impressive work.

https://pressboxonline.com/2022/04/20/1 ... ck-hawley/
hawley talks about his uncle and soon to be nationally famous cousins. Impressive family legacy reaching into new chapters.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/to-get-int ... lead_pos11
story finds half of white kids attending harvard are athletes, kids of employees, alumni, or potential donors. Not sure what percentage of Hopkins white students are athletes but probably about 1/5 to 1/4.
Famously, JHU revoked any preference at all for legacies.
Hopkins famously had an absurdlt broad definition of legacies to include almost anyone with any type of connection to the school to include the postman that delivered the mail one time to the basement of Gilman to be considered a legacy. I have no real issue with eliminating a large portion of the legacy and maybe all connections to legacies. In my view, if two candidates for enrollment were equal, then the legacy should be selected but that isn't the case anymore.

My wife and I are both Hopkins grads. A good portion of my wife's family are Hopkins grads (and worked or have worked at Hopkins). My wife's family has funded scholarships at Hopkins and donated a good deal of money to Hopkins in other ways (not Bloomberg but good amounts). My wife and I have donated to Hopkins, mostly through BJU. But, I think it all stopped about 6-7 years ago when the family saw all the changes that Daniels was implementing. As one relative said "if Daniels needs money, he can just go ask Mike for it, apparently, he's the one the only matters anymore."
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Steel,

I was referencing both. When Hopkins moved to the USNWR bench its rating went up. It dropped on some other measures i am told but it was a big marketing success,

Some changes were made at the Hospital but it dropped from 1/2 to 4 last i heard. The business model of the combined institutions has changed over the years,

I have been remiss in not saying thanks for your career st Hop
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

OCanada wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:01 am Speaking of managing to the USNWR benchmark the Med School has dropped to 4 I read nkt long ago.

Med school is tied for #3. At that level, it comes down to decimal places. (And NYU has been rocketing up the rankings due, in part, to being zero tuition.)
Hopkins famously had an absurdlt broad definition of legacies to include almost anyone with any type of connection to the school to include the postman that delivered the mail one time to the basement of Gilman to be considered a legacy. I have no real issue with eliminating a large portion of the legacy and maybe all connections to legacies. In my view, if two candidates for enrollment were equal, then the legacy should be selected but that isn't the case anymore.
Agreed. They could have just moved to the Ivy legacy model: legacy only applies in undergrad admissions if a parent was an undergrad at Hopkins, and if the child applies Early Admission (looking at you Penn). (But then that would tick off a lot of medical school grads who might be making bank and donating decent money.)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The argument Daniels and a few others are going to make is by choosing less qualified applicants Harvard is letting star students fall to schools like Hopkins and eventually choosing dads checkbook over juniors talent hurts an organization. The argument Harvard makes is that by keeping an elite club connected campus they set up the kids better to have success through connections. We'll see.

Program did a nice job this week finally joining the 21st century with some weekly interviews of PM, Schwartzmann and the kids. Regardless of the play on the field the kids have come off very very well in the media they've done which is a credit to them, the program and the coaches that recruited them. Our rivals recruiting pitch is their basketball and football programs brands, Hopkins has our actual program to sell with guys like schwartzman. the clc backdrop is nice here too. I've wondered if rival coaches might try to steal the under armour game for their stadiums but I guess there are complications like michigan being an air jordan brand school. you don't need a twitter account to watch the content.
https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am The argument Daniels and a few others are going to make is by choosing less qualified applicants Harvard is letting star students fall to schools like Hopkins and eventually choosing dads checkbook over juniors talent hurts an organization. The argument Harvard makes is that by keeping an elite club connected campus they set up the kids better to have success through connections. We'll see.
I don't buy it. True stars are auto-admits everywhere; read enough admissions applications and they easily jump out. Those star high schoolers interested in research would give Hopkins a series look since that is its undergrad forte.

What I think Daniels and others are really saying is that legacy admissions affects the school's interest in accepting more low income students (Pell grants is a ranking factor) and underrepresented students of color. So no, not stars vs. Pell grants, but bright hard-working (legacy) kids vs. Pell.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:11 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am The argument Daniels and a few others are going to make is by choosing less qualified applicants Harvard is letting star students fall to schools like Hopkins and eventually choosing dads checkbook over juniors talent hurts an organization. The argument Harvard makes is that by keeping an elite club connected campus they set up the kids better to have success through connections. We'll see.
I don't buy it. True stars are auto-admits everywhere; read enough admissions applications and they easily jump out. Those star high schoolers interested in research would give Hopkins a series look since that is its undergrad forte.

What I think Daniels and others are really saying is that legacy admissions affects the school's interest in accepting more low income students (Pell grants is a ranking factor) and underrepresented students of color.
Not a bad argument.

School has a nice story up on the band. For all the seriousness our rivals with football teams and bands like michigan claim to give lacrosse I've never seen them show up for a game home or away.
https://hub.jhu.edu/2022/04/21/jhu-pep- ... niversary/
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Am I the only one finding a tiny bit of irony that we are basting Ronnie with a nice beurre blanc sauce and roasting him on a spit for reportedly getting all hot and bothered about the US News rankings of the undergraduate campus but at the same time blaming him for the fall in rankings of the medical/hospital side of things?
Big Dog wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:11 pm What I think Daniels and others are really saying is that legacy admissions affects the school's interest in accepting more low income students (Pell grants is a ranking factor) and underrepresented students of color. So no, not stars vs. Pell grants, but bright hard-working (legacy) kids vs. Pell.
Given that it was reported in the JHU Newsletter 2 years ago
https://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2020/sprin ... y%20status.

and Daniels himself lent the byline to this Atlantic article 2 years ago
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ns/605131/

and he frigging authored a book What Universities Owe Democracy I think it is safe to say that is what he thinks. You can certainly disagree with his position but it is not a public/social policy issue with one clear cut answer - his thinking is defensible.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The effect any of this has on lacrosse, whether you agree with it or not, is overrated. Last I checked Milliman just recruited the younger brother of one of our SSDMs and is giving significant playing time to three other legacies. I'm not even counting Petro's own nephew who seems to be getting more PT now than he did when his uncle was the coach. Also believe Erik Chick out of St. Mary's in the '23 class (current high school junior) has a connection to the program. I see no reason why PM won't keep an eye on any other legacies that might emerge as potential recruits over the coming years, provided they can actually play.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:56 pm T Also believe Erik Chick out of St. Mary's in the '23 class (current high school junior) has a connection to the program. I see no reason why PM won't keep an eye on any other legacies that might emerge as potential recruits over the coming years, provided they can actually play.
If it is the same Erik Chick then his Dad was on the 91-94 team as an attackman. I don't think he saw much time behind Riordan, Piccola or Marr.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Big Dog

Hospital not Medical school,

https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/07/27/us-news- ... s-hopkins/
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:56 pm The effect any of this has on lacrosse, whether you agree with it or not, is overrated. Last I checked Milliman just recruited the younger brother of one of our SSDMs and is giving significant playing time to three other legacies. I'm not even counting Petro's own nephew who seems to be getting more PT now than he did when his uncle was the coach. Also believe Erik Chick out of St. Mary's in the '23 class (current high school junior) has a connection to the program. I see no reason why PM won't keep an eye on any other legacies that might emerge as potential recruits over the coming years, provided they can actually play.
Before a national audience kids have a chance tomorrow to write a big chapter in their lives, careers, sport, rivalry and program history tomorrow, you don't get these opportunities on regular season april saturdays at duke, yale, jacksonville, syracuse, albany, notre dame and unc.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:31 am Koleton Marquis is going to be a fun one to watch at Homewood:

If the Under Armour team is smart they'll put him in the All-America game this summer (at Homewood again) for the viral highlight potential alone.
wow
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:51 pm

wow
Not to state a blinding flash of the obvious, but patience is the watchword here. The program has been around since 1883. Give PM a chance to get his guys in there.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

wow
He's the real deal. Not just highlight plays. Has as complete a game as you would want in an attackman.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

No one has beaten Maryland yet this season, and that’s because they have clearly been the best team in the nation to date.

Doesn’t mean the Blue Jays can’t beat the Terps tomorrow.

We want more!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:30 pm

wow
He's the real deal. Not just highlight plays. Has as complete a game as you would want in an attackman.

Holy sh*t. Very impressive

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”