January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:54 pm
Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:53 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:37 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:32 pm Cheese takes a plea.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/20/politics ... index.html
I guess that about wraps up this portion of this thread. :lol:
well, looks like plead down to 1 count from 7...I'd be interested to know what his proffer includes, but we probably won't know much about that for awhile...did they get him recorded?

And of course, what's the punishment?
Presumably no time.
Right no time but Chesebro is pleading guilty to one felony (which will likely cost him his law license) – conspiracy to commit filing false documents in the fake electors plot. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending that Chesebro serve 5 years of probation and pay $5,000 in restitution. He agreed to testify at any future trials in the sprawling election subversion case and write an apology letter. Suspect he has a proffer as well.

As in most cases, the subsequent deals usually are not as good as the initial deals.

The DA no longer has to preview its case - which is a big deal for them.
And another piece of the RICO conspiracy locked down.
Looking for our attorneys’ opinions on MD’s last remark re: the RICO case being helped. My non-attorney thought was that the DA dropping the RICO-related charge for just a false document guilty plea could signify a chink in the armor held for a RICO case. Thoughts?
I'm interested as well, as a non-attorney...but my lay understanding (so far) has been that the RICO charge provides the ability to connect the crimes with other crimes, as a conspiracy, and, with RICO to hold each perp accountable for the crimes committed by others. Those others needn't have been charged under RICO, nor even charged at all, simply testifying or allocating to their complicity in the conspiracy alleged. And each of these plea agreements will undoubtedly include such testimony and allocution.

You would not hold a perp who pleas accountable for everyone's crimes, indeed not even the ones to which they will allocate as their own portion.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:08 pm

well, looks like plead down to 1 count from 7...I'd be interested to know what his proffer includes, but we probably won't know much about that for awhile...did they get him recorded?

Presumably no time.
Right no time but Chesebro is pleading guilty to one felony (which will likely cost him his law license) – conspiracy to commit filing false documents in the fake electors plot. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending that Chesebro serve 5 years of probation and pay $5,000 in restitution. He agreed to testify at any future trials in the sprawling election subversion case and write an apology letter. Suspect he has a proffer as well.

As in most cases, the subsequent deals usually are not as good as the initial deals.

Looking for our attorneys’ opinions on MD’s last remark re: the RICO case being helped. My non-attorney thought was that the DA dropping the RICO-related charge for just a false document guilty plea could signify a chink in the armor held for a RICO case. Thoughts?
I'm interested as well, as a non-attorney...but my lay understanding (so far) has been that the RICO charge provides the ability to connect the crimes with other crimes, as a conspiracy, and, with RICO to hold each perp accountable for the crimes committed by others. Those others needn't have been charged under RICO, nor even charged at all, simply testifying or allocating to their complicity in the conspiracy alleged. And each of these plea agreements will undoubtedly include such testimony and allocution.

You would not hold a perp who pleas accountable for everyone's crimes, indeed not even the ones to which they will allocate as their own portion.
I'll defer to anyone with recent experience; haven't had a civil RICO case in over 20 years. But it is a statute that permits a prosecutor to tell a wind-ranging story, by tacking together a conspiracy made up of seemingly disparate parts. Here, Trump and his co-conspirators are charged with committing 161 predicate acts to carry out a wide-ranging sprawling conspiracy to unlawfully change the outcome of the election in favor of Le Moron Orange.

To further their criminal enterprise, the defendants allegedly made false statements and writings; impersonated a public officer; filed false documents; influenced witnesses; and committed forgery, computer trespass, computer theft, computer invasion of privacy, conspiracy to defraud the state, perjury and acts involving theft.

Kraken's and Chesebro's pleas are, I think, pretty good news, because the proffer that is part of those plea agreements are almost certain to advance at least several of those predicate criminal acts. Chesebro may well be more important, because he is not, in the public mind, batsh*t crazy.

Not a criminal lawyer, but I cannot really see that this is bad for the RICO case, or that, as McCarthy suggests in the National Review, the DA's case is a dud. Cases are organic and grow and change; the indictment doesn't fix in stone every part and every factual element of a case. This one is still developing, and I think these are likely positive developments for the prosecution and not great for the defendants.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
ggait

Post by ggait »

Not a litigator.

But rico is essentially conspiracy on steroids. So having the cheese guy convicted of conspiracy would seem to be good for the prosecution.

Especially since he’s agreed to testify.

And especially because you can't conspire with yourself. So Cheesey, by definition, has now fingered others as being in conspiracy with him.
Last edited by ggait on Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:25 pm
To further their criminal enterprise, the defendants allegedly made false statements and writings; impersonated a public officer; filed false documents; influenced witnesses; and committed forgery, computer trespass, computer theft, computer invasion of privacy, conspiracy to defraud the state, perjury and acts involving theft.
I believe they are also guilty of using marked cards.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:08 pm

Presumably no time.

I'll defer to anyone with recent experience; haven't had a civil RICO case in over 20 years. But it is a statute that permits a prosecutor to tell a wind-ranging story, by tacking together a conspiracy made up of seemingly disparate parts. Here, Trump and his co-conspirators are charged with committing 161 predicate acts to carry out a wide-ranging sprawling conspiracy to unlawfully change the outcome of the election in favor of Le Moron Orange.

Kraken's and Chesebro's pleas are, I think, pretty good news, because the proffer that is part of those plea agreements are almost certain to advance at least several of those predicate criminal acts. Chesebro may well be more important, because he is not, in the public mind, batsh*t crazy.

Not a criminal lawyer, but I cannot really see that this is bad for the RICO case, or that, as McCarthy suggests in the National Review, the DA's case is a dud. Cases are organic and grow and change; the indictment doesn't fix in stone every part and every factual element of a case. This one is still developing, and I think these are likely positive developments for the prosecution and not great for the defendants.
Chesebro plead guilty to a conspiracy with Eastman, Giuliani and Trump.

He’s promised to testify truthfully to that conspiracy. And more. But it’s that conspiracy that links Trump to the multi-state effort to fraudulently present fake electors and to pressure Congress and the VP to accept them instead of the certified electors or to throw it back to states controlled by Republicans.

The Kraken was in multiple meetings with Trump and Giuliani and others discussing the strategies to falsely claim the election was stolen. She can testify that she and the others knew these claims were false. And she can testify about various related strategies discussed including the meeting out of which Trump tweeted about January 6, etc.

Giuliani and Eastman better plea out soon, as they’re fried.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:46 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:44 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:15 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:08 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:59 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:36 am It is looking like all the other trump advisors are ready and willing to throw their former boss under the bus. Amongst all of this chaos trump is still the prohibitive favorite to win the Republican nomination. What is even more mind boggling...trump might even win. So 2024 is possibly looking like a 2020 rerun. Yippee!!!
I'll be stunned if the outcome of this isn't the following....

-TrumpPals get plea deals
-Trump skates on charges from technicalities surrounding the fact that he was an elected official
-Trump wins election
Not sure what you mean by the second "outcome," but you need to be mindful that Trump can only, only be understood to be a candidate for office; his official duties didn't include the rally at the Capitol, the calls to Raffensberger, and all of the other fomenting and scheming. If simply "holding office" is enough to immunize an elected official, then the power of incumbency will become even more overwhelming than it is now, and elections will become charades to maintain incumbency on a dramatically (more) tilted playing field.
yeah, I don't think even this SCOTUS would go for that.

I do think the GOP will nominate him even if he's clearly going to be convicted or even if he has been convicted by then. He'll still be in an appeal process.

But I pray the country won't elect him.
Here is a very rare occurrence, I agree with you and hope like heck he doesn't win. The fact that is even remotely possible boggles my mind. Someday some fancy Hollywood person is going to make a movie about this. They don't even need to write the story. The story is writing itself. :roll:
They already made it - Nightmare on Elm Street.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Freddie deserve more respect, these knucklenuts couldn’t be as creative in their murder such as using a Nintendo power glove.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:40 pm
I believe they are also guilty of using marked cards.
Or smell their thumbs as typically in elephant circles the “Little Jack Horner” technique is utilized.

Case closed.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:21 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:17 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:11 am Sidney Powell just pled guilty before Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee to 6 counts of conspiracy to commit intentional interference with the performance of election duties.

Trump lawyer Sidney Powell has cut a plea deal and is expected to plead guilty in Georgia one day before her trial begins. She has agreed to testify in future proceedings as part of the plea deal. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending a sentence of six years probation. Powell will also be required to testify at future trials and write an apology letter to the citizens of Georgia.

As part of her guilty plea, Powell is admitting her role in the January 2021 breach of election systems in rural Coffee County, Georgia. With the help of local GOP officials, a group of Trump supporters accessed and copied information from the county’s election systems in hopes of somehow proving that the election was rigged against Trump.

She has agreed to testify in future proceedings as part of the plea deal.

Orange fatso must be apoplectic and the Kraken will now apparently be released on HIM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't tell YA and Old Salt. They think it's ok to break laws, and the Dems are bad for daring to prosecute these majestic Republicans, and this makes Republican voters vote for (checks notes) convicted felons.

Makes perfect sense.
:lol: On a roll today, I see.

The good think, is that she is on standby to testify. Wonder who she conspired with? Nice to see how they continue to overcharge people so they can get something in the end.
Just checking. Are you a lawyer qualified to declare prosecutors overcharging? Or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn?

I suspect they charged based on the evidence they had and which they considered likely to succeed at trial.
I’ll try to find it, read it in an article from an attorney.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:38 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:11 am Sidney Powell just pled guilty before Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee to 6 counts of conspiracy to commit intentional interference with the performance of election duties.

Trump lawyer Sidney Powell has cut a plea deal and is expected to plead guilty in Georgia one day before her trial begins. She has agreed to testify in future proceedings as part of the plea deal. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending a sentence of six years probation. Powell will also be required to testify at future trials and write an apology letter to the citizens of Georgia.

As part of her guilty plea, Powell is admitting her role in the January 2021 breach of election systems in rural Coffee County, Georgia. With the help of local GOP officials, a group of Trump supporters accessed and copied information from the county’s election systems in hopes of somehow proving that the election was rigged against Trump.

Orange fatso must be apoplectic and the Kraken will now apparently be released on HIM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't tell YA and Old Salt. They think it's ok to break laws, and the Dems are bad for daring to prosecute these majestic Republicans, and this makes Republican voters vote for (checks notes) convicted felons.

Makes perfect sense.

The good think, is that she is on standby to testify. Wonder who she conspired with? Nice to see how they continue to overcharge people so they can get something in the end.
Just checking. Are you a lawyer qualified to declare prosecutors overcharging? Or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn?

I suspect they charged based on the evidence they had and which they considered likely to succeed at trial.
Might be wise to take information from attorneys with a grain of salt - after all two of them in this are now convicted felons. :oops:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:41 pm

Makes perfect sense.

Might be wise to take information from attorneys with a grain of salt - after all two of them in this are now convicted felons. :oops:
was just searching for the article and plenty of hits show up…..seems it’s no so uncommon and a tactic that can be used.

But no, I’m not an attorney, I suppose lesson learned is that all attorneys are perfect, thx. 😉

https://www.google.com/search?q=overcha ... s-wiz-serp
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

CU88a wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:20 pm By Jacqueline Alemany
Congressional Investigations Reporter

After again failing to be elected speaker, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) just silently left the chamber and went into the elevator.
Headed to the gym...where he does his good works...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
njbill

Post by njbill »

Does he shower at the gym?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:48 pm
CU88a wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:20 pm By Jacqueline Alemany
Congressional Investigations Reporter

After again failing to be elected speaker, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) just silently left the chamber and went into the elevator.
Headed to the gym...where he does his good works...
He said he will get back to work….investigating Biden.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:45 pm

Makes perfect sense.

was just searching for the article and plenty of hits show up…..seems it’s no so uncommon and a tactic that can be used.

But no, I’m not an attorney, I suppose lesson learned is that all attorneys are perfect, thx. 😉

A tactic often used against crack dealers and others that don’t generally have access to good legal reputation.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:01 pm

Makes perfect sense.

A tactic often used against crack dealers and others that don’t generally have access to good legal reputation.
So now bankers give legal advice….thx. 😉
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:03 pm

Makes perfect sense.

No. Relying on the experience of friends that were served up. One got out of it last year….many weren’t so lucky. As you know, most people in prison didn’t have a trial.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:27 am ...Kraken...
...meanwhile, she'll be in jail under the misdemeanors.
Got a source or confirmation that she'll be incarcerated until trial & sentencing, or out on bail. or your speculation ?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:06 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:03 pm

Makes perfect sense.

No. Relying on the experience of friends that were served up. One got out of it last year….many weren’t so lucky. As you know, most people in prison didn’t have a trial.
A good, if disturbing book.

https://www.harvard.com/book/pleading_out/

"A blistering critique of America’s assembly-line approach to criminal justice and the shameful practice at its core: the plea bargain

Most Americans believe that the jury trial is the backbone of our criminal justice system. But in fact, the vast majority of cases never make it to trial: almost all criminal convictions are the result of a plea bargain, a deal made entirely out of the public eye.

Law professor and civil rights lawyer Dan Canon argues that plea bargaining may swiftly dispose of cases, but it also fuels an unjust system. This practice produces a massive underclass of people who are restricted from voting, working, and otherwise participating in society. And while innocent people plead guilty to crimes they did not commit in exchange for lesser sentences, the truly guilty can get away with murder.

With heart-wrenching stories, fierce urgency, and an insider’s perspective, Pleading Out exposes the ugly truth about what’s wrong with America’s criminal justice system today—and offers a prescription for meaningful change."
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:44 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:38 pm

Stay tuned for the Andy McCarthy article on how this has nothing to do with the case against Donald Trump.
:lol: :lol:
And we'll be called "blind" for not agreeing with him.
Yet another co-conspirator who won't be convicted of violating GA's RICO Act.
6 of 7 charges dropped. Impressive prosecution. Why leave out Mike Flynn ?

Return to “POLITICS”