January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:21 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:17 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:11 am Sidney Powell just pled guilty before Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee to 6 counts of conspiracy to commit intentional interference with the performance of election duties.

Trump lawyer Sidney Powell has cut a plea deal and is expected to plead guilty in Georgia one day before her trial begins. She has agreed to testify in future proceedings as part of the plea deal. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending a sentence of six years probation. Powell will also be required to testify at future trials and write an apology letter to the citizens of Georgia.

As part of her guilty plea, Powell is admitting her role in the January 2021 breach of election systems in rural Coffee County, Georgia. With the help of local GOP officials, a group of Trump supporters accessed and copied information from the county’s election systems in hopes of somehow proving that the election was rigged against Trump.

She has agreed to testify in future proceedings as part of the plea deal.

Orange fatso must be apoplectic and the Kraken will now apparently be released on HIM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't tell YA and Old Salt. They think it's ok to break laws, and the Dems are bad for daring to prosecute these majestic Republicans, and this makes Republican voters vote for (checks notes) convicted felons.

Makes perfect sense.
:lol: On a roll today, I see.

The good think, is that she is on standby to testify. Wonder who she conspired with? Nice to see how they continue to overcharge people so they can get something in the end.
Do you believe the primary takeaway from this is about lawyers billing practices? That’s the most important conclusion to come to from this event?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:05 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:27 pm Disappointing to know Sidney Powell won't spend any time in the Big House. She missed out on making friends there. But it should be interesting to see what disclosures she makes about the Chosen Messiah and his (oops, His) role in all this when she testifies at trial.
Hope springs eternal for a parole violation or perjury charge as a result of duplicitous testimony…
Unlike these cracker a** crackers, Tim Scott is really playing with fire…

https://www.urban.org/sites/default/fil ... cation.PDF
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:09 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:54 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:18 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:10 pm Question for anyone who might know:

Would the Kraken have to have provided a proffer of the testimony she could give in her former co-defendants’ cases as part of the overall plea deal?
Reports confirm there WAS a proffer made before the deal was finalized. So the prosecutors already know what she is going to testify to and so will the Feds once she testifies in GA
Excellent; she got a sweet deal given all the damage she did. I am hopeful that the testimony will be the pay-off. Thanks Kismet.
Christie, as a former U.S. attorney, says “You don't give a no-jail plea deal unless that person's got something very good to say that will help your case against the others.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 244641007/

Chesebro’s going down. Too dumb to take a deal.
Or arrogant
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:23 pm I called it weeks ago.

The request for a speedy trial was a gambit to get an early plea deal. And he who pleads first gets that best deal. While Powell is an embarrassment to the bar, she knows enough to hire a good lawyer and when to fold ‘em.

Chesbro for sure is trying to settle. Tbd if he will strike a deal.

Having said that, the kraken can go fork herself. Unless she is completely insane (possible) she can rot in hell. A complete disgrace. And she hopefully will be bankrupted soon in the smart matic case. Just desserts.

And Chesbro can fork himself too. Sleazy loser disgrace.
Similar in finance where often “your first loss is your best loss”
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:55 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:11 am Sidney Powell just pled guilty before Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee to 6 counts of conspiracy to commit intentional interference with the performance of election duties.

Trump lawyer Sidney Powell has cut a plea deal and is expected to plead guilty in Georgia one day before her trial begins. She has agreed to testify in future proceedings as part of the plea deal. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending a sentence of six years probation. Powell will also be required to testify at future trials and write an apology letter to the citizens of Georgia.

As part of her guilty plea, Powell is admitting her role in the January 2021 breach of election systems in rural Coffee County, Georgia. With the help of local GOP officials, a group of Trump supporters accessed and copied information from the county’s election systems in hopes of somehow proving that the election was rigged against Trump.

Orange fatso must be apoplectic and the Kraken will now apparently be released on HIM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't tell YA and Old Salt. They think it's ok to break laws, and the Dems are bad for daring to prosecute these majestic Republicans, and this makes Republican voters vote for (checks notes) convicted felons.

Makes perfect sense.

The good think, is that she is on standby to testify. Wonder who she conspired with? Nice to see how they continue to overcharge people so they can get something in the end.
Just checking. Are you a lawyer qualified to declare prosecutors overcharging? Or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn?

I suspect they charged based on the evidence they had and which they considered likely to succeed at trial.
I mean if an intermediary is engaging in clients behalf it’s likely the initial bill will stretch the bounds of credibility. It’s an opening bid to see if they can get away with it. Never had a time a client asked on the hill that it didn’t get discounted but if the client didn’t ask it wasn’t my job to do so on their behalf, I’m on the main deal.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:26 am

Makes perfect sense.

Do you believe the primary takeaway from this is about lawyers billing practices? That’s the most important conclusion to come to from this event?
It's not about billing. It's about what charges to bring based upon the evidence you have charges

BTW, reports now that Chesboro is in talks for a plea deal. Jury selection is scheduled to begin today.
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:19 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:46 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:29 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:02 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:39 am Good for Faux News that they FINALLY got news correct.

Your other propaganda channel trying to put lipstick on a pig on the Kraken flip is delusional.
She has to truthfully answer ANY QUESTIONS posed to her at trial about ANY PART of the case, not just the things she plead guilty to.
There is always the HRC response... I don't recall, I don't remember... Amnesia is quite common when testifying under oath. Im asking this to the legal eagles on this forum. If you make a statement to the prosecutors are you legally obligated to testify to that in court?
If she doesn't testify truthfully the deal is OFF and off the jail she goes.
C&S doesn’t read. This is exactly why I asked the question about the proffer. They know her testimony already. Try to keep up?
I read very well counselor. My past experience tells me reading posts from certain dumbass posters is simply a waste of my time. :roll:
FTR counselor they also knew what Ollie North was going to testify to.

Until she raises her hand and testifies under oath none of what she says is worth diddly. The rats do tend to jump ship when they know it is sinking. I don't think she is a stupid person. A smart lawyer would never put their backside on the line for someone like trump.
Cradle reminds me of the old Mark Twain quote

"It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt." ;) :lol: :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I dunno if this is what cradle meant but if the Kraken does not testify consistently with her proffer she's headed to jail. They have her statements recorded. They can play them in court.

If she waffles and squirms, it'll be all the more credibly received by any jury. And she goes to jail.

She's plead guilty to 6 misdemeanor counts, the substance of which will support felony convictions at trial...meanwhile, she'll be in jail under the misdemeanors.

Note as well that under the RICO statute, she'll also be liable for all the rest of the crimes committed under the conspiracy.

She badly needs a plea deal with the federal case. She has no leverage.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:27 am I dunno if this is what cradle meant but if the Kraken does not testify consistently with her proffer she's headed to jail. They have her statements recorded. They can play them in court.

If she waffles and squirms, it'll be all the more credibly received by any jury. And she goes to jail.

She's plead guilty to 6 misdemeanor counts, the substance of which will support felony convictions at trial...meanwhile, she'll be in jail under the misdemeanors.
Wesselburg’s future in the Trump Org’s fraud case.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Now, if you really want to belly up to the Legal Nerd Bar, here is a decision of the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit. The main issue turns on the meaning of "corruptly" in the relevant federal statute that this person violated when he stormed around the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021. That is, 18 USC Section 1512(c)(2), prohibiting "corruptly...obstruct[ing], influenc[ing], or imped[ing] any official proceeding."

The first five or six pages are the facts. Beginning on page 6 is the discussion of the meaning of "corruptly."

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... cadc102023

The Court of Appeals concludes that "there are a range of ways to prove a defendant's corrupt intent or action." The decision will likely have implications in the former President's trial, and this issue will possibly make it way to the SCOTUS.

Very pointed dissent from a Reagan appointee.
njbill

Post by njbill »

A few things could be in play with the Chesboro plea negotiations. One, he thinks he will get the best deal if he holds out until the last minute. Maybe. Two, he is waiting to see who is on the jury. A pretty common approach. Three, he suspects that the Fulton County DA does not want to try this case right now. Even if they are ready (maybe they are, maybe they aren’t), they certainly don’t want to lay out their entire case, or at least the portion relating to him, so as to give the other defendants a free look at the case that will be put on against them.

On the other hand, I don’t think he has quite the leverage the Kraken had. Don’t think a lot of his evidence relates to Trump while the Squid may know stuff that will send His Bloatedness down the Suwanee River for a nice little vacation.

I still think the Cheese man ends up entering into a plea deal.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:27 am I dunno if this is what cradle meant but if the Kraken does not testify consistently with her proffer she's headed to jail. They have her statements recorded. They can play them in court.

Note as well that under the RICO statute, she'll also be liable for all the rest of the crimes committed under the conspiracy.

That is exactly what I meant. Until I saw her face on the news yesterday all I knew about Sidney Powell was what I read about her on this forum. What I don't understand is why she said the things she did. She is willing to admit she was wrong to save her own bacon I get that. It is looking like all the other trump advisors are ready and willing to throw their former boss under the bus. Amongst all of this chaos trump is still the prohibitive favorite to win the Republican nomination. What is even more mind boggling...trump might even win. So 2024 is possibly looking like a 2020 rerun. Yippee!!!
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:36 am It is looking like all the other trump advisors are ready and willing to throw their former boss under the bus. Amongst all of this chaos trump is still the prohibitive favorite to win the Republican nomination. What is even more mind boggling...trump might even win. So 2024 is possibly looking like a 2020 rerun. Yippee!!!
I'll be stunned if the outcome of this isn't the following....

-TrumpPals get plea deals
-Trump skates on charges from technicalities surrounding the fact that he was an elected official
-Trump wins election
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:59 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:36 am It is looking like all the other trump advisors are ready and willing to throw their former boss under the bus. Amongst all of this chaos trump is still the prohibitive favorite to win the Republican nomination. What is even more mind boggling...trump might even win. So 2024 is possibly looking like a 2020 rerun. Yippee!!!

-Trump skates on charges from technicalities surrounding the fact that he was an elected official
-Trump wins election
Not sure what you mean by the second "outcome," but you need to be mindful that Trump can only, only be understood to be a candidate for office; his official duties didn't include the rally at the Capitol, the calls to Raffensberger, and all of the other fomenting and scheming. If simply "holding office" is enough to immunize an elected official, then the power of incumbency will become even more overwhelming than it is now, and elections will become charades to maintain incumbency on a dramatically (more) tilted playing field.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:34 am A few things could be in play with the Chesboro plea negotiations. One, he thinks he will get the best deal if he holds out until the last minute. Maybe. Two, he is waiting to see who is on the jury. A pretty common approach. Three, he suspects that the Fulton County DA does not want to try this case right now. Even if they are ready (maybe they are, maybe they aren’t), they certainly don’t want to lay out their entire case, or at least the portion relating to him, so as to give the other defendants a free look at the case that will be put on against them.

On the other hand, I don’t think he has quite the leverage the Kraken had. Don’t think a lot of his evidence relates to Trump while the Squid may know stuff that will send His Bloatedness down the Suwanee River for a nice little vacation.

I still think the Cheese man ends up entering into a plea deal.
3) would mean that he needs to plea before the trial actually begins. Else that benefit goes away pretty darn quickly. Assuming it's there at all, which may well be doubtful. I'd think they could focus on his piece of the crimes primarily, with enough evidence of the rest of the conspiracy presented but holding back much of the evidence, and convict him based on his particular involvement being clear cut. I wouldn't think his lawyer is well positioned to put on a case defending him from the crimes committed by others...he'll really only be able to argue that his client wasn't directly involved in those crimes, shouldn't be subject to RICO.

The question may be what he has that implicates those who can implicate Trump more directly...and, notably, every plea to a crime that is part of the conspiracy buttresses the RICO.

They have a whole lot of people as witnesses who not were indicted based on them already having admitted to criminal actions as part of the conspiracy, each of whom could have been indicted and convicted, but I think Willis is less concerned with punishing everyone than she is in building the RICO case against the prime actors.

So, she and her team are going to be open to pleas that support the overall case. But needn't take them.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:08 pm

-Trump wins election
Not sure what you mean by the second "outcome," but you need to be mindful that Trump can only, only be understood to be a candidate for office; his official duties didn't include the rally at the Capitol, the calls to Raffensberger, and all of the other fomenting and scheming. If simply "holding office" is enough to immunize an elected official, then the power of incumbency will become even more overwhelming than it is now, and elections will become charades to maintain incumbency on a dramatically (more) tilted playing field.
yeah, I don't think even this SCOTUS would go for that.

I do think the GOP will nominate him even if he's clearly going to be convicted or even if he has been convicted by then. He'll still be in an appeal process.

But I pray the country won't elect him.
a fan

Post by a fan »

-Trump wins election
Not sure what you mean by the second "outcome," but you need to be mindful that Trump can only, only be understood to be a candidate for office; his official duties didn't include the rally at the Capitol, the calls to Raffensberger, and all of the other fomenting and scheming.
He was President at the time, was he not?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:36 am

That is exactly what I meant. Until I saw her face on the news yesterday all I knew about Sidney Powell was what I read about her on this forum. What I don't understand is why she said the things she did. She is willing to admit she was wrong to save her own bacon I get that. It is looking like all the other trump advisors are ready and willing to throw their former boss under the bus. Amongst all of this chaos trump is still the prohibitive favorite to win the Republican nomination. What is even more mind boggling...trump might even win. So 2024 is possibly looking like a 2020 rerun. Yippee!!!
You really didn't see any of her prior "TV appearances" ???
Even after they were discussed here, linked from here?

If so, that's interesting.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

By Jacqueline Alemany
Congressional Investigations Reporter

After again failing to be elected speaker, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) just silently left the chamber and went into the elevator.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:16 pm

-Trump wins election
Not sure what you mean by the second "outcome," but you need to be mindful that Trump can only, only be understood to be a candidate for office; his official duties didn't include the rally at the Capitol, the calls to Raffensberger, and all of the other fomenting and scheming.
He was President at the time, was he not?
As we know from Nixon, immunity is only for actions taken as President.
Crimes that are committed as a private citizen don't have immunity.
Candidates are acting as private citizens, not as office holders, regardless of what office they hold.

Trump's argument is that his actions were under his Presidential responsibilities. They were not. They were as a candidate who was seeking to commit crimes in order to achieve an outcome that was against the law. He'd taken lots of legal actions as a candidate to achieve his desired outcome, but they had failed...illegal actions don't get immunity.

But that's the legal argument, not that he's immune from any and all prosecution no matter what the act.

Return to “POLITICS”