Baseball

General Chatter
Kismet

Re: Baseball

Post by Kismet »

Aaron Judge, Yankees in agreement on 9-year, $360 million deal.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/352 ... =192725430

All should note that Aaron Judge was offered 8-years, $230M by the Yankees before last season began. He turned it down, had one of the great seasons in recent baseball history and then turned it into an extra $130M and an additional year.

One of the best "bet on yourself" moves you'll ever see.

Yankees surrendered totally.
Last edited by Kismet on Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Would be interesting to know what Judge’s last demand was last year before negotiations broke down. I’ll bet it was a lot lower than what he ended up signing for this year.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Verlander is about to sign a two year deal with the Mets for $86.66 million with an option for a third year at $35 mil. He’ll be joining Max Scherzer once again, both multiple Cy Young winners. Verlander turns 40 before the season starts next year and Scherzer is 38. It’ll be interesting to see if the two “old guys” can maintain their quality pitching and carry the Mets to the series.
DMac

Post by DMac »

How many times has team lost a CY winner and replaced him with a CY winner in the same year?
Hope Justin and Kate come to the Cuse to maybe play a little spring ball with the Cuse Mets.
I'll get 'em to come down to the Cobblestone and have a beer or two on the porch. Well, Kate
anyway.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Haha. As I was reading your post, I thought “he doesn’t really mean to include Justin.” By the end of your post, I see you said just that. :lol:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kismet wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 am Aaron Judge, Yankees in agreement on 9-year, $360 million deal.

All should note that Aaron Judge was offered 8-years, $230M by the Yankees before last season began. He turned it down, had one of the great seasons in recent baseball history and then turned it into an extra $130M and an additional year.

That's a heck of a lot of $$$. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be ARod II.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:59 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 am Aaron Judge, Yankees in agreement on 9-year, $360 million deal.

That's a heck of a lot of $$$. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be ARod II.
AROD won the yanks a world series. most teams consider that a success.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:07 am

AROD won the yanks a world series. most teams consider that a success.

He definitely did his part on '09 Series but I wouldn't say he won it. He had other opportunities but did not succeed. My feeling was and remains that had they spent all that $ on other players they would have been more successful. But you know what they say about hindsight ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Jake Mauer, 66, RIP

https://www.startribune.com/baseball-ml ... 600245547/

Great guy. Met him a couple of times at Cretin Derham Hall ballgames. Very well liked here in Lake Wobegone.

Joe Mauer's father is credited with creating a baseball swing that helped the longtime Twins star win three American League batting titles and earn six All-Star berths.

Jake Mauer built a device of connected pipes that would drop a ball into the hitting zone, forcing Mauer to have a compact swing and no excess movement. The invention later became known as the "Mauer Quickswing."

Say, whatever happened to JoeMauer89 ? Did he leave the forum?

njbill

Post by njbill »

Joe is still inside. Due out mid-March.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:20 pm Joe is still inside. Due out mid-March.

Ah, ok. Did not know about that.

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:19 pm How many times has team lost a CY winner and replaced him with a CY winner in the same year?
Hope Justin and Kate come to the Cuse to maybe play a little spring ball with the Cuse Mets.
I'll get 'em to come down to the Cobblestone and have a beer or two on the porch. Well, Kate
anyway.
we're going to miss Kate in the stands here in Houston! :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:56 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:19 pm How many times has team lost a CY winner and replaced him with a CY winner in the same year?
anyway.
we're going to miss Kate in the stands here in Houston! :lol:
fun story filed under: I want to be reincarnated as my kids -

my youngest is friends with a kid of someone associated with the team. He sat next to Kate at the celebratory dinner/party after they won the AL in 2017. 8-)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Channel surfing last night I stumbled onto the Yankees-Caps pre-season game and thought I’d give the new rules a look.

Just like the lacrosse shot clock (and I admit I wasn’t for it), the pitch clock has done wonders for baseball’s watchability. I also believe the increase in base size and the shift rule were spot on. In the four - quick! - innings I watched, the base size and reduction in shifts probably resulted in four or five extra base runners - one steal, one missed end of a DP, and at least two up the middle soft hits.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very interesting, I'll definitely check this out. Been a fan of the pitch clock for quite awhile, saw it in the minors (go to a few games a year) and it absolutely works. Plenty of time for the pitcher and speeds the game up for sure. Base size and what it brings is very interesting. Glad the shift is gone.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 am Very interesting, I'll definitely check this out. Been a fan of the pitch clock for quite awhile, saw it in the minors (go to a few games a year) and it absolutely works. Plenty of time for the pitcher and speeds the game up for sure. Base size and what it brings is very interesting. Glad the shift is gone.
I should have also mentioned the new “two attempts to hold runners” rule, too. Definitely sped up the pitch count but also completely changed a base stealing runner’s strategy and lead size.

What made me stop to watch was earlier yesterday I ran across a side-by-side video someone posted of an entire half an inning played with the new rules vs a single pitch that took the same amount of time. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOJSwBjH6k
DMac

Post by DMac »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:34 am What made me stop to watch was earlier yesterday I ran across a side-by-side video someone posted of an entire half an inning played with the new rules vs a single pitch that took the same amount of time. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOJSwBjH6k
Wow!!!!! Speaks volumes.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 am Very interesting, I'll definitely check this out. Been a fan of the pitch clock for quite awhile, saw it in the minors (go to a few games a year) and it absolutely works. Plenty of time for the pitcher and speeds the game up for sure. Base size and what it brings is very interesting. Glad the shift is gone.

I saw a pre game news item on Boston TV online - it indicated that the preseason games reduced game time by 25 minutes thanks to the new changes. That is so good to know! Too bad the strike zone wasn't increased to pre 1970 dimensions or the game would be reduced by another 20 minutes or so.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:11 pm

I saw a pre game news item on Boston TV online - it indicated that the preseason games reduced game time by 25 minutes thanks to the new changes. That is so good to know! Too bad the strike zone wasn't increased to pre 1970 dimensions or the game would be reduced by another 20 minutes or so.
That's good, must say though I've never been much bothered by the length of a baseball game, baseball is what it is and I'm okay with that. What I do like about the pitch clock is what it does for the pace of play, it absolutely eliminates quite a bit of down time and keeps things moving. Some of these rules changes are going to have a big effect on baseball. Two throws to first to hold the runner = big advantage baserunner. I'd bet the number of stolen bases skyrockets. Shorter distance between bases with increased base size too....not much but it is a game of inches.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

To improve safety, I would have added a double bag at first base just like they have in softball. I would also loosen up the seams in the baseball so as to reduce exit speed/distance thereby reducing offense and speeding up the games.

And most important ~ get rid of those @#$#@#$%$#@#$%$#@#$%%%% kiss cams!!!!!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”