movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Farfromgeneva

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Up late last night w a stomach ache and caught a remake of a old film noir called Nightmare Alley directed by Benicio Del Toro. Very good movie if 2:30 runtime

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q81Yf46Oj3s
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am Up late last night w a stomach ache and caught a remake of a old film noir called Nightmare Alley directed by Benicio Del Toro. Very good movie if 2:30 runtime

I watched the original last month. Started the new one last night and hope to finish it tonight or tomorrow. College hoops are on:

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:58 pm College hoops are on:
loved that 3 by UVA to seal the game.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:07 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:58 pm College hoops are on:
loved that 3 by UVA to seal the game.
I didn’t.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZo3H0gqVZQ ... =copy_link
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am Up late last night w a stomach ache and caught a remake of a old film noir called Nightmare Alley directed by Benicio Del Toro. Very good movie if 2:30 runtime

I watched it. It was pretty good. I liked the original but the remake was good as well. I will watch it again. Highly recommend the original.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:17 pm

I watched it. It was pretty good. I liked the original but the remake was good as well. I will watch it again. Highly recommend the original.
I’ll check out the original, reading a review of the two after watching the remake sounds like I might prefer the book based on the three different endings because I’m messed up. But I can appreciate some black and white.

Never bought into the old westerns though. Or the stuff that’s all happy endings-unless I’m chilling w Bob Kraft…
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:34 am

I’ll check out the original, reading a review of the two after watching the remake sounds like I might prefer the book based on the three different endings because I’m messed up. But I can appreciate some black and white.

Never bought into the old westerns though. Or the stuff that’s all happy endings-unless I’m chilling w Bob Kraft…
I want to read the book. I liked both versions. I also liked both versions of Cape Fear and Scarface. Many don’t realize Scarface was a remake of the 1932 classic “Scarface”.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:51 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:34 am

I want to read the book. I liked both versions. I also liked both versions of Cape Fear and Scarface. Many don’t realize Scarface was a remake of the 1932 classic “Scarface”.

I did not in Scarface myself. I’m wayy behind in my reading. Living Talebs life with respect to Ecco’s anti chamber library. Still working through this book on a Buddhism I picked up last summer and a Tom Wolfe book also started in Sept which is pathetic. Damn kids and their activities!
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Re: movies NOT entirely worth mentioning

Post by Brooklyn »

As some of you might know, I am a long standing fan of Class B monster flicks from the 1950s. One of the more forgettable, oops, most noteworthy being "Half Human" starring legendary John Carradine:

http://horror101withdrac.blogspot.com/2 ... eview.html

Used to watch it on "Chiller Theater." Hadn't seen it in over 50 years, had forgotten the title, but was advised about it on my online Class B monsters movie club. I may have also seen the original Japanese version but am not sure. It was banned as racist by the Japanese government as it depicted the Burakumin people as being stupid. It can be found on Archive.org.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

A great WW-II Naval warfare flick

Post by old salt »

If you enjoyed Das Boot, I highly recommend Tom Hanks' Greyhound.
Highly accurate account of 2 harrowing days in the Battle of the Atlantic, from a destroyer commander's perspective.
A faithful adaption of the C.S. Forester classic novel The Good Shepherd.

It is currently only available on Apple TV+, offering a free trial this week.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Thanks for that. Will look for it.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I thought "The Batman" was excellent.

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:15 pm I thought "The Batman" was excellent.

I need to see it.
Typical Lax Dad

Just saw Marty the other day. Excellent film. Just a nice little movie. Great acting and great characters.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

October (Days That Shook the World) [1927]

Eisenstein movie based on Reed's famous book later made into another movie called "Reds" starring Warren Beatty. As always the movie featured great directorial innovations and a sterling score by Shostakovich.

Typical Lax Dad

Just saw The Asphalt Jungle…. Fantastic Film Noir. Marilyn Monroe had a small role. Incendiary.

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:07 am Just saw The Asphalt Jungle…. Fantastic Film Noir. Marilyn Monroe had a small role. Incendiary.

Marilyn Monroe, yes, and Sterling Hayden, the gritty king of film noir. The Asphalt Jungle is quintessential noir.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:07 am Just saw The Asphalt Jungle…. Fantastic Film Noir. Marilyn Monroe had a small role. Incendiary.

Marilyn Monroe, yes, and Sterling Hayden, the gritty king of film noir. The Asphalt Jungle is quintessential noir.
Absolutely.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Yeah--that was a great flick. I happened on it a while ago and really enjoyed it.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”