Ivy League 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
calourie

Re: Ivy League 2019

Post by calourie »

Final rankings are likely to have the Quakers at 5, as unfair as that may be. Most voters won't dig down deeper than a team's presence in the final four (loss to Duke doesn't help their case either). Really liked watching them play this year.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

The only spot that matters is the champ. Nobody will remember if someone is #2 or #5. Just doesn't matter. And nobody cares.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Finals' losers are often mentioned quite a bit as well and therefore often remembered. A feather of sorts in the cap.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

The selection committee is unneeded. Choose a power points based system like hockey and let that determine the seedings. Not some pick the convenient stat to thrust whatever predetermined order a member chooses. The final 4 seeding should have led to PSU, Penn, Yale, and UVA in that order. It was a disservice to the Ivies and to Penn to have had Yale vs Penn in the quarters.
Lux et veritas
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

From a distance, it looked like they were trying to have a "North/South" system like the old days.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Bluecollar wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:39 pm As Orfling states it seemed like the seeding committee had made ups its mind (Browns AD Hayes made a similar comment in his selection night interview).

Its a damn shame as Im near certain now that the Penn-Yale III game was the defacto national title game. And near certain that Penn would be playing tomorrow had they been the 2 or 3 seed that they had earned.

Regardless: Great season for the Quakes and good luck to the Elis tomorrow, not that they will need it.

Final rankings, IMO, ought to be:

1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Penn State

Bluecollar
Pretty humorous post this afternoon. I mean, you are joking aren't you? Looking at the speed, physicality and athleticism on the field in the final tells me the Ivies got over ranked playing a schedule against each other. Schedule and beat some of the traditional ACC powers first and then we will see where you stand. There can be No debate that your final rankings were absurd.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

blue angels wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:27 pm
Bluecollar wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:39 pm As Orfling states it seemed like the seeding committee had made ups its mind (Browns AD Hayes made a similar comment in his selection night interview).

Its a damn shame as Im near certain now that the Penn-Yale III game was the defacto national title game. And near certain that Penn would be playing tomorrow had they been the 2 or 3 seed that they had earned.

Regardless: Great season for the Quakes and good luck to the Elis tomorrow, not that they will need it.

1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Penn State

Bluecollar
Pretty humorous post this afternoon. I mean, you are joking aren't you? Looking at the speed, physicality and athleticism on the field in the final tells me the Ivies got over ranked playing a schedule against each other. Schedule and beat some of the traditional ACC powers first and then we will see where you stand. There can be No debate that your final rankings were absurd.
First, Congrats to UVA on an awesome win and the national championship! Good for them!

Agree, probably should have waited until today to post a final rankings opinion, but Bluecollar does preface it with IMO, so that's what it is. Blue Angel, in regards to scheduling ACC games, i think the Ivy's are doing so. Cornell played Syracuse and Notre Dame this year, Penn played MD and Duke, etc... now Winning those games, agree, different story! Cornell did beat Notre Dame.

But if you are saying that the top Ivy's can't compete with the ACC in speed, physicality and athleticism, well I would disagree. Again, Congrats to UVA... but if you're telling me that Yale isn't going to go at least 50% against any ACC team this year then you're biased (IMO)... as i might be towards Yale and Penn! Likewise, I would give Penn 50/50 odds against any team in the country right now! Lost some games at the beginning of the season, but showed they are national caliber.

Great year of Lax! And great year for the Ivy's! Looking forward to more final four appearances.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Thanks. Yours is a Gracious post and best of luck next year. I normally wouldn't stick it back in his face except for the complete disrespect he showed with comments like " Yale won't need any luck"..
random observer

Post by random observer »

RumorMill wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:56 pm

1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Penn State

Bluecollar
First, Congrats to UVA on an awesome win and the national championship! Good for them!

Agree, probably should have waited until today to post a final rankings opinion, but Bluecollar does preface it with IMO, so that's what it is. Blue Angel, in regards to scheduling ACC games, i think the Ivy's are doing so. Cornell played Syracuse and Notre Dame this year, Penn played MD and Duke, etc... now Winning those games, agree, different story! Cornell did beat Notre Dame.

But if you are saying that the top Ivy's can't compete with the ACC in speed, physicality and athleticism, well I would disagree. Again, Congrats to UVA... but if you're telling me that Yale isn't going to go at least 50% against any ACC team this year then you're biased (IMO)... as i might be towards Yale and Penn! Likewise, I would give Penn 50/50 odds against any team in the country right now! Lost some games at the beginning of the season, but showed they are national caliber.

Great year of Lax! And great year for the Ivy's! Looking forward to more final four appearances.
Not to mention Brown was a hair away from taking down the Hoos in Klockner. Hard to write off any team let alone a conference based on such small sample sizes -- today's game was a perfect example of that. The playoff format takes a combination of being a quality team (winning multiple games in a row against quality opposition) and a hot team (once you're in the final, all that matters is who brings their best lacrosse). Twice on championship day this year, UVA brought their absolute best effort on defense and in goal. There were no defensive breakdowns today like their were in the first half against Duke: Yale had to earn every single goal the hard way.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

random observer wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 pm

1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Penn State

Bluecollar

Not to mention Brown was a hair away from taking down the Hoos in Klockner. Hard to write off any team let alone a conference based on such small sample sizes -- today's game was a perfect example of that. The playoff format takes a combination of being a quality team (winning multiple games in a row against quality opposition) and a hot team (once you're in the final, all that matters is who brings their best lacrosse). Twice on championship day this year, UVA brought their absolute best effort on defense and in goal. There were no defensive breakdowns today like their were in the first half against Duke: Yale had to earn every single goal the hard way.
Stop..... Virginia beat Brown, Princeton and Yale this year. 2 of them were early and good games. They were still all Ivy losses. Penn got mauled by Duke. You have a ways to go.
random observer

Post by random observer »

blue angels wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:49 pm

1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Penn State

Bluecollar

Stop..... Virginia beat Brown, Princeton and Yale this year. 2 of them were early and good games. They were still all Ivy losses. Penn got mauled by Duke. You have a ways to go.
Way to ignore my point. Ivy league won a title last year and got to the final this year. Just because UVA was the best team doesn't mean the Ivy League blows. If you're gonna point to Duke mauling Penn in February as indicative of the entire state of both conferences, then you might as well crown the SoCon #1, as their champion beat ND and their runner-up beat UVA and Duke.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Penn State

Bluecollar

"Ways to go"???????? Yeah. All the way to last year, when Yale won the title (beating an ACC team) by being the most complete and athletic team. The Ivy League is as good as any league in the country, including the ACC and the B10. Just because UVA won today does not diminish the accomplishments of the entire conference. One goal games that can go either way do not establish the dominance of a conference. The ACC/B10 bias in the lax world gets old.... fast. Especially when those conferences are both recent creations.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Penn State

Bluecollar

A ways to go? Yale won the title last year and was back in the final this year. Brown was there with your coach.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Best part is posting this on the Ivy League thread! :roll:
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

random observer wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:00 pm [
Way to ignore my point. Ivy league won a title last year and got to the final this year. Just because UVA was the best team doesn't mean the Ivy League blows. If you're gonna point to Duke mauling Penn in February as indicative of the entire state of both conferences, then you might as well crown the SoCon #1, as their champion beat ND and their runner-up beat UVA and Duke.
Love this! Exactly Random! Any given Sunday... or Monday.

Way to go High Point! They didn't beat any Ivy's this year but took down Duke and UVA... National Champ worthy?
Last edited by RumorMill on Mon May 27, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Wow if the Ivies have a way to go the Big Ten is really in trouble
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

All pretty funny. Ivy League had a very good year. Yale, Penn did especially well representing the league. Cornell and Princeton and Brown have good things going on. Hope to see Dartmouth get there too.
Lux et veritas

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”