Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm
get it to x wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:48 am USA is #1 in gun ownership and #104 in violent crime. Great Britain has virtually no private gun ownership (possession of handguns is illegal) and yet USA has less than 1/4 the number of violent crimes per 100,000 people. Correlation?

Many are calling for a sharp knife ban in England. Next we will have to bubble wrap everyone so 100% safety is assured. :roll:
That is, of course, a nonsensical analysis. The appropriate data to be examining is the firearm death rate. On that list, the United States is alone in the top 20 among economically advanced and developed nations. You won’t find any European nations or the developed nations of Asia in that top 20 list.

Who else is in the top 20 firearms death rate list with the United States? Some US territories (US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico), but also Afghanistan, Guyana, Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, Jamaica ... you get the picture.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/the ... u-s-stands

That’s not a top 20 list the United States should be on. Those who support the gun industry and America’s idolatrous gun culture are morally complicit in the over 37,000 annual gun deaths in our nation.

DocBarrister :|
We have a gun culture problem. Not unlike a drug problem. We can and should do better.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
LandM

Post by LandM »

Here are a couple of not really thought out ideas that I am sure will make me a racist, misogynist, and whatever word of the day the educated class likes to use these days:
1. Take every gun away from a rapper, NBA, NFL, and MLB player - now we get to some initial responsibility - take an honest stance Colin - they love showcasing them and a few have even shot themselves;
2. Take away every gang banger in the inner cities guns away - will wait to see how that happens - that would be fun to watch. It has been tried numerous times and still NOT working;
3. Do not allow a mental health person to purchase a gun - you have the FBI that is supposedly the finest law enforcement agency in the world who are approving these nutballs, maybe they should have different criteria;
And 4. Shut the southern border so that no one can get to Tijuana, gun salad down there.

Then we can have responsible, rationale people having fun or using a gun for its original purpose food and ensuring animals are not fodder for wild animals taking livestock......I think.
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:26 pm Here are a couple of not really thought out ideas that I am sure will make me a racist, misogynist, and whatever word of the day the educated class likes to use these days:
1. Take every gun away from a rapper, NBA, NFL, and MLB player - now we get to some initial responsibility - take an honest stance Colin - they love showcasing them and a few have even shot themselves;
2. Take away every gang banger in the inner cities guns away - will wait to see how that happens - that would be fun to watch. It has been tried numerous times and still NOT working;
3. Do not allow a mental health person to purchase a gun - you have the FBI that is supposedly the finest law enforcement agency in the world who are approving these nutballs, maybe they should have different criteria;
And 4. Shut the southern border so that no one can get to Tijuana, gun salad down there.

Then we can have responsible, rationale people having fun or using a gun for its original purpose food and ensuring animals are not fodder for wild animals taking livestock......I think.
Treat it like smoking in this country. Make the manufactures pay a steep price if they want guns in this market. None of the people you named own a manufacturing facility. As for the gangsters, if they are involved in criminal activity, they should be at the top of the priority list.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:14 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:49 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 pm
foreverlax wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:37 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:34 pm
foreverlax wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:30 am
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:08 am Bring in Mumia to negotiate.

Great recruiting look for Temple.
...odd sense of humor
Better than no sense of humor. No. When you have to explain why something is funny, it's most likely not.TV is linking the location to Temple's campus.
The Mumia ref was in reply to this :
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm Shooter holed up in Philly..... the police dept. should drop a bomb on him like the last situation in Philly.
Pointing out the premise & why it was not odd.
Not explaining why it was funny, or not.
Was it not widely known that the Philadelphia police dropped a bomb on a holed up suspect? I am not sure many people found a nexus between this shooter and Temple? You know what is a bad look? The terrorist in the US Coast Guard....that’s a bad look.
If you say so, finding reason to say something negative about the Philly PD when they appear to have performed professionally.
You might think they were just being uppity.

Good look for the Coast Guard for identifying him & helping lock him up while he was still in the wannabe stage.
They thought they were performing professionally when they dropped a bomb in that neighborhood....my comment was before the ordeal ended, sport. I am glad they got another criminal off the streets....as for that terrorist, it’s a bad look for the US Coast Guard....you disagree?
Of course you know I was referring to the Philly PD's performance in this incident.
...but you couldn't wait to slime the cops.

I think it was a net positive for the USCG to identify a potential threat & remove him before anyone was harmed.
It's an example for what other employers, co-workers, families & acquaintances should do.
He's not a terrorist until/unless he acts.
My bad, the potential terrorist was a bad look for the coast guard....you agree? Philly PD did a good job. Hopefully the perpetrator is taken off the street for a long time. I would imagine this is not his first rodeo. As for what others should do, I hold the USCG to a higher standard than Clem down the block.... but I know what you mean.
You overestimate the ability of the USCG, or any military service, to weed out 100% of the potential bad apples in advance.
...look at how many NCIS & JAG tv spin offs there are, ...as if they were anywhere near representative of reality.
You didn't understand what I wrote ( or purposely steered away from my point). I stated that I hold the USCG to a higher standard than the average man on the street (vis-a-vis turning in suspected criminals). Do you not expect more our of the USMC than Lenny down the block? I didn't say I expect 0 defects......Not a good look for the USCG but they did a good job handling it.
I don't understand the relevancy of linking the USCG to this discussion, for any reason.
I didn't understand the relevancy of Temple University and a "bad look", so I thought of something that was a good example of a bad look.... you don't think that was a bad look? The accused terrorist was a member of the USCG..... that drug dealer in North Philly had nothing to do with Temple unless you are telling me he was taking classes there.
I pointed out that national media was highlighting the proximity of the shooting scene to Temple's campus.
The relevancy is not that difficult to understand. You just tried to distort it into something it was not, as usual.
LandM

Post by LandM »

TLD,
Believe the guy in Philly had a very long and distinguished criminal record. We have laws, maybe we should start enforcing them instead of the hall passes and multiple chances. I am sure the Philly guy was just a lovely boy, loved by all, attended church on Sunday and was a role model for everyone. First time drug offenders selling a little crack or weed get treated worse then the gun offender. How about we work on enforcing the laws in place and tweak the one's that need to be tweaked.

Last I checked cigarette manufactures stock is still positive and the numbers of smokers has declined dramatically but there are people still smoking. All a tax in this area is gonna do is make the responsible and rationale owner get pi$$ed.......good luck.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm
get it to x wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:48 am USA is #1 in gun ownership and #104 in violent crime. Great Britain has virtually no private gun ownership (possession of handguns is illegal) and yet USA has less than 1/4 the number of violent crimes per 100,000 people. Correlation?

Many are calling for a sharp knife ban in England. Next we will have to bubble wrap everyone so 100% safety is assured. :roll:
That is, of course, a nonsensical analysis. The appropriate data to be examining is the firearm death rate. On that list, the United States is alone in the top 20 among economically advanced and developed nations. You won’t find any European nations or the developed nations of Asia in that top 20 list.

Who else is in the top 20 firearms death rate list with the United States? Some US territories (US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico), but also Afghanistan, Guyana, Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, Jamaica ... you get the picture.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/the ... u-s-stands

That’s not a top 20 list the United States should be on. Those who support the gun industry and America’s idolatrous gun culture are morally complicit in the over 37,000 annual gun deaths in our nation.

You choose to ignore that criminals will get guns one way or another. In your utopia the law abiding citizen is disarmed against all sorts of predations. Women carrying a firearm is the ultimate expression of feminist empowerment. This is a right that you would so easily give up only to discover it was truly necessary.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Not to bring another thorny subject up, but does anyone think that if we had a healthier respect for life in all ways we would have less violence?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 pm TLD,
Believe the guy in Philly had a very long and distinguished criminal record. We have laws, maybe we should start enforcing them instead of the hall passes and multiple chances. I am sure the Philly guy was just a lovely boy, loved by all, attended church on Sunday and was a role model for everyone. First time drug offenders selling a little crack or weed get treated worse then the gun offender. How about we work on enforcing the laws in place and tweak the one's that need to be tweaked.

Last I checked cigarette manufactures stock is still positive and the numbers of smokers has declined dramatically but there are people still smoking. All a tax in this area is gonna do is make the responsible and rationale owner get pi$$ed.......good luck.
I agree on the drug dealer in Philly. I don’t know what Temple has to do with him. Let’s put a lovely boy like that away for a long time. Like the cigarette guys, the gun market can contract in this country and they can sell more globally, like cigarettes. Didn’t that boy in Philly have a long gun or did he hit six cops with rocks? I believe we have gun rights. How many and what type may be a different story. If we reduce the availability of weapons in the country and responsible gun owners are pissed.... BFD
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trained teachers were going in next.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 pm TLD,
Believe the guy in Philly had a very long and distinguished criminal record.
He was uppity & wore a tan suit. That's why the pigs targeted him.
Free Mumia. Hands up, don't shoot.
LandM

Post by LandM »

TLD,
I never mentioned Temple - I think that was OS. Been in the general area but never been in those parts, we passed on the Temple game when we were told not a great area - my season tix you can smell cow shi$$.

Can buy a long gun and many rounds south of the border, cheaper and all under the table.
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 pm TLD,
I never mentioned Temple - I think that was OS. Been in the general area but never been in those parts, we passed on the Temple game when we were told not a great area - my season tix you can smell cow shi$$.

Can buy a long gun and many rounds south of the border, cheaper and all under the table.
I realized I erred on the Temple comment afterwards. My fault....I heard Yale and Penn weren’t in a good areas either.....Yale’s location actually is not bad at all and Penn has gotten better....like Hopkins. I didn’t think Temple was Morgan State even that is not that bad. Have seen worse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm Those who support the gun industry and America’s idolatrous gun culture are morally complicit in the over 37,000 annual gun deaths in our nation.

Just a suggestion, Doc, and not one I figure you'll listen to. You've really got to stop with this kind of BS, you do nothing but hurt your cause with it and cause the "other side" to really dig in more. People who happen to have grown up around guns, are comfortable and responsible with them, are not part of an idolatrous gun culture and are not morally complicit in the over 37,000 annual guns deaths. In fact, they're not morally complicit in even one of them. This is like saying when a person gets hit in the chest with a lacrosse ball and dies we are all morally complicit as none of us told him to wear a chest protector.
Stop with the idolatrous BS. When was the last time you hung out with a bunch of gun owners, say a bunch of hunters or skeet shooters? I know a whole bunch of those types, but I don't know one who worships their gun. Sure, they like them, but stop with your exaggerations and sensationalizing, it does nothing more than make you look like a fool while pizzing responsible gun owners off.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

get it to x wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:07 pm Not to bring another thorny subject up, but does anyone think that if we had a healthier respect for life in all ways we would have less violence?
No.

If we had fewer guns, we would have less violence.

It’s the guns; it’s the guns; IT’S THE GUNS.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm Those who support the gun industry and America’s idolatrous gun culture are morally complicit in the over 37,000 annual gun deaths in our nation.

Just a suggestion, Doc, and not one I figure you'll listen to. You've really got to stop with this kind of BS, you do nothing but hurt your cause with it and cause the "other side" to really dig in more. People who happen to have grown up around guns, are comfortable and responsible with them, are not part of an idolatrous gun culture and are not morally complicit in the over 37,000 annual guns deaths. In fact, they're not morally complicit in even one of them. This is like saying when a person gets hit in the chest with a lacrosse ball and dies we are all morally complicit as none of us told him to wear a chest protector.
Stop with the idolatrous BS. When was the last time you hung out with a bunch of gun owners, say a bunch of hunters or skeet shooters? I know a whole bunch of those types, but I don't know one who worships their gun. Sure, they like them, but stop with your exaggerations and sensationalizing, it does nothing more than make you look like a fool while pizzing responsible gun owners off.
Nearly 2/3 of all gun deaths per year are by suicide. Almost 60 a day. Pills are less lethal. Nobody is talking about taking all guns away. We need to reduce the supply.
Typical Lax Dad

I bet there is a high correlation between the increase in guns and the increasing prison population.

https://sentencingproject.org/wp-conten ... ctions.pdf
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Nearly 2/3 of all gun deaths per year are by suicide. Almost 60 a day. Pills are less lethal. Nobody is talking about taking all guns away. We need to reduce the supply.
Pills worked every bit as good as a gun would have for my mom. They're plentifull and easy to get too. Couldn't swear by these numbers, but don't find them hard to believe:

In 2016, there were approximately:

40,000 motor vehicle-related deaths
39,000 people firearm-related deaths
64,000 people drug overdose-related deaths
https://www.centeronaddiction.org/the-b ... TCEALw_wcB

Guns are loud, bloody, and frightening and get the most attention...we could find a better way to deal with drugs too, but I doubt Big Pharma is interested in hearing anything about that. Big Pharma and the NRA are rather similar, actually...with Pharma leading in the death count.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Pills worked every bit as good as a gun would have for my mom. They're plentifull and easy to get too. Couldn't swear by these numbers, but don't find them hard to believe:

In 2016, there were approximately:

40,000 motor vehicle-related deaths
39,000 people firearm-related deaths
64,000 people drug overdose-related deaths
https://www.centeronaddiction.org/the-b ... TCEALw_wcB

Guns are loud, bloody, and frightening and get the most attention...we could find a better way to deal with drugs too, but I doubt Big Pharma is interested in hearing anything about that. Big Pharma and the NRA are rather similar, actually...with Pharma leading in the death count.
Sorry to hear about your mom. I had two relatives that committed suicide with firearms. I am not afraid of guns. I had an automatic. Father had a .38 revolver and a double barrel. Brothers both have permits to carry..... One thinking of turning his in.... Grandfather had a pump but preferred a billy club. Many a smart *ss got a taste of it.... Anyway, I am all for reducing the available supply. I am not "afraid" of guns. I am afraid of some people with guns....again, sorry about your mom....lost mine last year.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 pm Stop with the idolatrous BS. When was the last time you hung out with a bunch of gun owners, say a bunch of hunters or skeet shooters? I know a whole bunch of those types, but I don't know one who worships their gun. Sure, they like them, but stop with your exaggerations and sensationalizing, it does nothing more than make you look like a fool while pizzing responsible gun owners off.
Solid effort DMac, but DocB's fake liberal nonsense won't let him digest a word you're saying.

No middle ground. It's why we can't move forward to fix problems.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 pm TLD,

I don’t understand. You passed on the Temple game (I’m assuming football) because you were afraid to go to Lincoln Financial Field at the multi-stadium sports complex in South Philadelphia. The same stadium where they recently played the lacrosse finals.

As for the Temple campus, I’ve been to basketball games, getting there by subway at night no less and lived. Temple is a big school. There have been student deaths recently for trying to run over a Miami police officer, falling off a dorm building, bad drug deal, meeting the wrong guy at a bar, but not generally for attending classes.

Return to “POLITICS”