Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxagainsthumanity

Re: Transfer portal

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:48 pm Charolette must've taken away lah's favorite play toy (human or otherwise) at some point.
What the heck is a human play toy? Can you go a single post without saying something creepy about young women.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:02 pm The more I think about the BC transfers, the more I think it's ridiculous to get upset about it. AWW would have been doing her program a disservice by not contacting all three of those players. She goes really hard after big recruits/transfers/grad transfers and certainly doesn't land all of them, but this year happened to nab probably 3 of the top 5. Any kid who commits to BC knows they may end up standing on the sideline, but they gamble on themselves or decide that competing for a national championship is better than starting elsewhere. They made their choices and now have to navigate the effects. I will say again that I don't see player development as a strength of AWW and I think bringing in transfers has been a crutch over the last several years. But she's a good recruiter and winning is winning.

As for CN, I'll remind you that everyone was shocked when she was declared eligible to compete in 2020 at the end of fall ball 2019, and no explanation was given as to why she received a waiver from the ACC. There were rumors months before that the BC compliance office had something up their sleeve. The mental health thing was what I heard they were planning to go with, and I learned some other things about CN that are too personal to discuss here that had nothing to do with Duke but perhaps gave some strength to her claims. I also know *for a fact* that the decision was driven by lacrosse and CN was otherwise pretty happy at Duke. In the grand scheme of shady things that happen in college athletics, this is far from a scandal. Conveying this information is not slanderous - stop with the pearl clutching. BC had just graduated about 8 starters including Apuzzo and needed CN to be available immediately, and can you really blame a 20-year-old for not wanting to sit around for a year.
No one is pearl clutching. You originally asserted that CN had used phantom mental health issues to get an immediate transfer. What evidence or facts do you have to support this assertion?
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:06 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:48 pm Charolette must've taken away lah's favorite play toy (human or otherwise) at some point.
What the heck is a human play toy? Can you go a single post without saying something creepy about young women.
You, of all people, are going to criticize me. Now that's rich. :roll:
njbill

Post by njbill »

When North’s transfer was announced in the summer of 2019, it was reported that she would need to sit out a year. Then, a few months later, it was announced that she had been granted a waiver.

Back at the time, none other than the Nut himself wrote:

“Charlotte applied for and was granted a waiver. Here's what rule says: ‘the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship merits a waiver of the normal application of the policy.’”

I don’t know what the specific factual basis was for North to claim “extraordinary personal hardship.” I will say I have never heard this “mental health” angle before with respect to North’s waiver.

The “sit out” rule has since been rescinded. It was a dumb rule, unfair to the athletes. Good riddance to it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

womenlaxfan wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:15 pm I think this is awesome. You send your daughter to college to not just get an education but learn life lessons. Loyalty, hard work, teamwork and others. All the while the coaches who hit the portal hard, the same coaches your daughter looks up to, send message to them loud clear that your year-round effort, dedication and hard work mean nothing. Instead, let’s bring in 3 (more?) AA’s and win at all cost. Just me – but not the lesson I want my daughter to learn.

Just like non-athletes, I agree there are valid reasons why some athletes want to transfer. But it doesn’t mean the NCAA can’t do something. They could put roster limits in place – meaning BC just filled 3 spots, they do that at the expense of recruiting 3 less players in this year class. Or they could do a “salary cap luxury tax” type approach like MLB. For every portal player you bring in, you forfeit some additional athletic scholarship money beyond what the transfer got. While fans of the same 4 or 5 teams probably love the super team building, does anyone actually think it is good for the overall game or the players who get stepped over in the process?
the nc$$ could have roster limits in place. obviously, they're very easily able to put scholarship limits in place as the overseer for managing sports.

is that something that people are pining for? limiting athletic opportunities for players? what/who would be the driver for that?

what they absolutely cannot do is tie schollies or total roster spots or anything else to transfers. the nc$$ spent decades limiting monetary opportunities and the liberty of movement by their athletes. they did it up until they started losing every court case in the last 10 years. the supreme court and the dept of justice have now made it clear that's over. that's why nil and transfer rules changed. not because the nc$$ wanted to.
jff97

Ball to Maryland Story

Post by jff97 »

USA Lax has an article about Ball transferring to Maryland with some good insight on why she went there. I guess MD isn't totally irrelevant yet.
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-a-reload
njbill

Post by njbill »

Interesting that the article failed to mention fellow Jersey girl, Meg Douty. Bit of an oopsie there.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

How much do you think the ability to pay full fare factors into transferring and/or recruiting. As I look back on the process, it seems to me that there had to be some back door conversations between families and coaches about walking on as a full-pay recruit or, even more often, transfer. There is movement from lower level d1 teams to higher level d1 teams without any meaningful stats or minutes where it seems like money could be a factor, i.e. the schools have resources to bring on extra players, especially if no scholarships are needed. How much is this a thing?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Rachel Clark to BC...wow.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:02 am Rachel Clark to BC...wow.
I like Rachel as a player very much, but I don't respect the Ring Chasing. Why not go to a program that is average or a little above average and help bring them into the National fold. Do you know who did that? The Great Sheehan Stanwick, Christine Lindsey(the GOAT of Goalies), Erin Elbe Stacy Duca and Bowen Holden. They put Georgetown Lacrosse on the map. They made Georgetown a National Contender. I RESPECT the hell out of that.
And I don't want to hear "that was a long time ago". That can be done today as well, but too many athletes seem to look for instant gratification.
For all of you that think that's cool, then this is your time to smile. Me? I don't think it's cute at all. And I still like Rachel Clark!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

News about Clark to BC was already broken in this thread about 2 weeks ago by someone with inside info. I wish people would take a moment to read through the pages.

And the Idea of ring chasing was discussed at great length. Lebron putting together a super team in miami is ring chasing. Clark is joining an above average BC team. She'll make them better but they aren't the second coming of the great NW or MD teams of the past. UNC had a historically great team in 2022 and Still squeaked by to win a championship. This BC team is nowhere near even that good. I don't see how Clark is ring chasing.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:41 pm News about Clark to BC was already broken in this thread about 2 weeks ago by someone with inside info. I wish people would take a moment to read through the pages.

And the Idea of ring chasing was discussed at great length. Lebron putting together a super team in miami is ring chasing. Clark is joining an above average BC team. She'll make them better but they aren't the second coming of the great NW or MD teams of the past. UNC had a historically great team in 2022 and Still squeaked by to win a championship. This BC team is nowhere near even that good. I don't see how Clark is ring chasing.
Not to mention her coach is no longer there. Would she have even transferred at all if there wasn’t a coaching change? And academically, when you go to UVA, you aren’t transferring to Louisville or Cincinnati. There’s a small number of D1 schools that are academic peers to UVA and she transferred to one of them. And I know Larry is a big supporter of D2/D3 lax, as he should be, but D1 AAs don’t transfer down a level.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

In my opinion you can support ring chasing or be against it. But stop with the “it’s not ring chasing posts. You leave a team with time left and go to one of the big four or five, it certainly is. Or do we really thing a player like Lopinto went to BC from #8 Florida because she didn’t like the school or the weather. Come on
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't see how it's oh so wrong to call it ring chasing either. TD Ierlan transferred from a quality Albany team/program to Yale (all about the quality education....my asz) on the men's side. Guess who won the title before he transferred? I considered that blatant ring chasing (nope, he never got a ring). I think it's unrealistic to think there's no ring chasing going on with some of these transfers. I also think it's unrealistic to think it's not akin Lebron's title chasing system. Will say again, while I believe the athletes have all the right in the world to transfer, I don't like what the transfer portal is doing to college sports. Way too much of it going on and I do believe athletes are going to get together and manipulate the system to build teams with players they want to play with ala Lebron style...just a little bit of a different way. All these athletes chose the school because they thought it offered the coach, curriculum, and quality education they were looking for. They liked the school, coach, and program....until they saw a prettier, shiny truck on another campus. Don't like it.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:55 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:41 pm News about Clark to BC was already broken in this thread about 2 weeks ago by someone with inside info. I wish people would take a moment to read through the pages.

Not to mention her coach is no longer there. Would she have even transferred at all if there wasn’t a coaching change? And academically, when you go to UVA, you aren’t transferring to Louisville or Cincinnati. There’s a small number of D1 schools that are academic peers to UVA and she transferred to one of them. And I know Larry is a big supporter of D2/D3 lax, as he should be, but D1 AAs don’t transfer down a level.
I don't care what they do in the NBA. Why bring that up? I'm talking about Lacrosse. Kleizaster, did you really attempt to "poor mouth" BC to justify the Ring Chasing? Seriously? And just like that BC is suddenly no better than Hopkins. This BC team is nowhere near even that good. They were in the Final last season...and suddenly "they're not even that good". HAHAHAHA
hmmm's comment about "And academically, when you go to UVA, you aren't transferring to Louisville or Cincinnati." What the HELL does that mean? More D1 academic superiority crap! Obviously everyone who has gone to those two schools are simply academic bottom feeders. All unemployed and living on welfare, right?? Hey hmmm, I'm going to give you a Louisville loser to look up,okay? The name is Ulysess "Junior" Bridgeman. Check that out and report back to the class. Here's a loser alum from Cincy : Kathleen Battle. Look her up too.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:20 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:55 pm

I don't care what they do in the NBA. Why bring that up? I'm talking about Lacrosse. Kleizaster, did you really attempt to "poor mouth" BC to justify the Ring Chasing? Seriously? And just like that BC is suddenly no better than Hopkins. This BC team is nowhere near even that good. They were in the Final last season...and suddenly "they're not even that good". HAHAHAHA
hmmm's comment about "And academically, when you go to UVA, you aren't transferring to Louisville or Cincinnati." What the HELL does that mean? More D1 academic superiority crap! Obviously everyone who has gone to those two schools are simply academic bottom feeders. All unemployed and living on welfare, right?? Hey hmmm, I'm going to give you a Louisville loser to look up,okay? The name is Ulysess "Junior" Bridgeman. Check that out and report back to the class. Here's a loser alum from Cincy : Kathleen Battle. Look her up too.
I have stated that i think BC is a contender with their transfer additions. Me saying they're not that good was in comparison to other historic teams that were much more dominant. Which i think we can all agree is true. Do you know Clark personally? do you know what factors went into her making this decision? She's a top level student athlete and wants to win. She went to a team that gave her a better chance to do that. But i doubt that's the only reason for her making that decision. The statement "Ring Chasing" has a clear negative connotation and implies that she cares about little else besides winning a championship, which is a strong sentiment to have without knowing her personally or having those words come out of her own mouth.

She easily could have went to UNC and would have made them the overwhelming favorite in my opinion if that's all she cared about. The fact that BC is NOT a stacked team tells me she joined because she felt it was the best fit for what she was looking for athletically and academically. Maybe she hit it off with the BC players and felt a connection. Negates this whole Ring Chasing idea because to me Ring Chasing is the pursuit of winning by any means necessary with little consideration to anything else and it's a bit extreme to say for any collegiate athlete unless it was just super obvious and clear cut
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

Calling it ring chasing may be extreme. I do believe RC probably wanted to go to a school that aligned best with her personal, academic, and lacrosse goals. As previously noted UVA and BC offer great academic opportunities, so BC fits this bill. She seems like a tough competitor and BC will provide a better opportunity to compete for titles than UVA. So BC scratches the competitive itch. It seems like both UVA and BC are equal distances from her hometown, but the schools offer much different personal experiences with their locations - rural vs city. Maybe Boston was a draw for her. I’d be surprised to learn this was as simple as ring chasing.

Another name that has come up on this topic is Sophia Chepenik. I know others have posted on the NIL and money aspect of her departure. Folks seem to know the reason why she left Clemson. But why choose USF? I read that SC may have known Coach McCord through youth camps and understand she is from FL. Aside from possibly knowing the coach and location has anyone heard more about why she opted for USF?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:39 am Calling it ring chasing may be extreme. I do believe RC probably wanted to go to a school that aligned best with her personal, academic, and lacrosse goals. As previously noted UVA and BC offer great academic opportunities, so BC fits this bill. She seems like a tough competitor and BC will provide a better opportunity to compete for titles than UVA. So BC scratches the competitive itch. It seems like both UVA and BC are equal distances from her hometown, but the schools offer much different personal experiences with their locations - rural vs city. Maybe Boston was a draw for her. I’d be surprised to learn this was as simple as ring chasing.

Another name that has come up on this topic is Sophia Chepenik. I know others have posted on the NIL and money aspect of her departure. Folks seem to know the reason why she left Clemson. But why choose USF? I read that SC may have known Coach McCord through youth camps and understand she is from FL. Aside from possibly knowing the coach and location has anyone heard more about why she opted for USF?
Different rumors with Chep but it seems to come to money and NIL. One thing that is super strange was they were supposed to start play the upcoming 2024 season and they pushed it back to 2025. And it seemed like they pushed it back as soon as they signed her.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:59 am
RollTheCrease wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:39 am Calling it ring chasing may be extreme. I do believe RC probably wanted to go to a school that aligned best with her personal, academic, and lacrosse goals. As previously noted UVA and BC offer great academic opportunities, so BC fits this bill. She seems like a tough competitor and BC will provide a better opportunity to compete for titles than UVA. So BC scratches the competitive itch. It seems like both UVA and BC are equal distances from her hometown, but the schools offer much different personal experiences with their locations - rural vs city. Maybe Boston was a draw for her. I’d be surprised to learn this was as simple as ring chasing.

Different rumors with Chep but it seems to come to money and NIL. One thing that is super strange was they were supposed to start play the upcoming 2024 season and they pushed it back to 2025. And it seemed like they pushed it back as soon as they signed her.
Chepenik had the NIL deal wherever she went - it came down to athletic money getting downgraded at Clemson and dad getting his feelings hurt. Took off for an instate place where they new the McCords. Looked at plenty other schools but they all passed. Also, USF announced in August of 2022 that 2025 season would be first year, almost a year ago.

Scratching that competitive itch AKA want to win a National Championship AKA ring chasing. Call it what you want, it is the same thing. And both schools are great so really, it comes down to winning a title just like the NBA players are doing.

For Chepenik, see above. Market wasn't as warm as they thought it should be, couldn't go back to Clemson since Kwolek rescinded the money once she went into portal, McCords have known Chepenik since she was a little tyker.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Madison Doucette to Hopkins. Reuniting with McCormack.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”