Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Live Game Action

Post by Kleizaster »

Scane again..11-8 NW. Bad SB turnovers killing them. if they lose they'll look back on that
Last edited by Kleizaster on Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:01 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:57 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:47 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:44 pm Game is too physical for my taste. Both teams.
^^^ this
This is Stony Brook lacrosse. They make it as ugly as possible to make up for any talent gap. Naturally the opposing team feels like they have to respond
Northwestern has always played a physical game as well.
Yup. These two teams plus BC, Syr, and Florida are too physical in my book.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I can never get anyone to agree with me on this, but I would like to see the NCAA use the HS yellow card rule: after the 4th, play man down the rest of the game; the 5th, 2 men down, etc.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Laliberty ain't at Tufts anymore, but, boy, she's playing well tonight.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:09 pm I can never get anyone to agree with me on this, but I would like to see the NCAA use the HS yellow card rule: after the 4th, play man down the rest of the game; the 5th, 2 men down, etc.
Maybe dial it back to the rest of the quarter?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Haha. I told you no one agrees with me.

How about try it the HS way for two years, then reevaluate? I completely get why the coaches don't like to take players off the field. But I think it may work to lessen the over physicality/fouling.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:19 pm Haha. I told you no one agrees with me.

How about try it the HS way for two years, then reevaluate? I completely get why the coaches don't like to take players off the field. But I think it may work to lessen the over physicality/fouling.
Haha that was just a suggestion for you to take back to those who don't agree with you. I agree, I think the current card penalties aren't strict enough, though. My first thought was making cards non releaseable after 3 instead of 4
lax410

Post by lax410 »

How about if a player gets 2 yellows she’s out for the next game? Like in soccer.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:54 am
Sunnylax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:03 am
Sunnylax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:34 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:45 pm
Sunnylax wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:07 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:11 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:55 pm Edmondson looked good today. I'm conflicted about that last shot she took but seemed to me like she decided to go for it in hopes of drawing a foul. Wasn't a great shot. The offense is what it is. really bad. Maryland doesn't have creative or high IQ feeders or players with vision. The defense was alot better today. They can still hang on that and Edmondson.

Shannon Smith, who couldn't get a game at UNC and was 3rd or 4th in the depth chart in her position is a starter for Maryland. That's all you need to know.
Shannon Smith? Not a single kid from her class was a starter their freshman year in 2021. Do you know how many kids from her class saw the field regularly off the bench? 1, Wurzburger. Smith played in 8 games, 4th most in her class of 10 (Long played 9 and Little played 14). She transferred after her freshman year and became a starter for a Maryland team that made the NCAA semi finals with a healthy, well-rounded stat line:

25G 11A 22GB 13CT 63DC

And do you know how many current UNC starters were right there with Smith, just as low on the depth chart in 2021? Take a look. I don't think you're making the point you think you are.
It's actually an excellent point. She didn't see the field while at UNC bc of her play. Coaches tried her early in the season but she was unable to do anything on the field. Got her chance and didn't produce.
Not really…a simple check shows the 8 games she played in stretched from February to April 30th. She played when the team was up by a decent margin, just like Alyssa Long did. The coaches got her game experience when and where they could. One chose to stay and come off the bench for another year, one chose to transfer back to her home state for an opportunity to start on a team that needed middies. Nothing wrong with either choice, both good players.

I admire the confidence though.
Admire the confidence? Is that some sort of dig? You have your opinion and I’ll stick with mine. How’s that for confidence.
Thanks for clarifying that you were stating your opinion.
Sunnylax wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:07 am Coaches tried her early in the season but she was unable to do anything on the field
That is not an opinion. It is just wrong.
No, it isn’t. She got her chance as did Long. They weren’t ready so played in mop up time. You are just wrong.
That is literally what I said: "She played when the team was up by a decent margin, just like Alyssa Long did. The coaches got her game experience when and where they could."

But she played throughout the season, including in the ACC semi-final. They didn't just "try her early in the season".

What am I wrong about?
She played in mop up. Great for her to transfer bc she would not have seen the field for UNC.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I was annoyed with the price of my B1G lax subscription, but at least I got bonus diving coverage tonight. If we're changing the rules, this needs to be addressed, as well.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Sunnylax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:58 pm She played in mop up. Great for her to transfer bc she would not have seen the field for UNC.
You don't know that for sure, you're just guessing at hypotheticals and "what-ifs" at this point. It's odd that you're making that statement like it's a fact. Based on the information that we actually have, she likely would have played as she seemed to be on a similar trajectory to Alyssa Long.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:06 pm
Sunnylax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:58 pm She played in mop up. Great for her to transfer bc she would not have seen the field for UNC.
You don't know that for sure, you're just guessing at hypotheticals and "what-ifs" at this point. It's odd that you're making that statement like it's a fact. Based on the information that we actually have, she likely would have played as she seemed to be on a similar trajectory to Alyssa Long.
I feel quite confident about my statement.
njbill

Post by njbill »

GratefulRed wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:01 pm I was annoyed with the price of my B1G lax subscription, but at least I got bonus diving coverage tonight. If we're changing the rules, this needs to be addressed, as well.
Absolutely. Diving should be carded as unsportsmanlike conduct.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Sunnylax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:09 pm
Alyssa Long not starting was due to the fact that UNC was loaded. Similar to Riley Casey. That's the difference. They always performed well even in mop up duty, you could see the talent. and they were always the first off the bench. Shannon Smith was just not good enough sorry to say. The writing was on the wall, which is why she transferred and Casey and Long did not. Of the Maryland games i've watched, she's just not a high level player for Maryland's aspirations. I don't know why people are arguing this. I used that example to highlight Maryland's decline. UNC is a peer program and if Maryland wants to get anywhere, they'll need to beat UNC on the field and in recruiting. They cannot be relying on UNC transfers who barely played. Look at what UNC is doing on a "rebuilding" year with a bunch of young players. what's Maryland's excuse? They don't have one. The reality is that they just don't have the depth of talent like they used to. You win recruits by winning. This is why this year was so crucial for the Terps. Them underperforming only puts them further behind the 8 ball.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Yes, you seem very confident in your imagination.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:25 pm
Alyssa Long not starting was due to the fact that UNC was loaded. Similar to Riley Casey. That's the difference. They always performed well even in mop up duty, you could see the talent. and they were always the first off the bench. Shannon Smith was just not good enough sorry to say. The writing was on the wall, which is why she transferred and Casey and Long did not. Of the Maryland games i've watched, she's just not a high level player for Maryland's aspirations. I don't know why people are arguing this. I used that example to highlight Maryland's decline. UNC is a peer program and if Maryland wants to get anywhere, they'll need to beat UNC on the field and in recruiting. They cannot be relying on UNC transfers who barely played. Look at what UNC is doing on a "rebuilding" year with a bunch of young players. what's Maryland's excuse? They don't have one. The reality is that they just don't have the depth of talent like they used to. You win recruits by winning. This is why this year was so crucial for the Terps. Them underperforming only puts them further behind the 8 ball.
Reilly Casey did not see a single minute on the field in 2021. Alyssa Long had 1 assist, 4gbs, 1ct, & 5 draws. Smith had 3 goals, 4gbs, and 1ct. Looks pretty even between Long and Smith to me. How can you say "They always performed well even in mop up duty, you could see the talent" about Casey & Long when one of them never even stepped on the field and the other has a pretty similar stat line?

I agree with you, none of them played much because UNC was loaded, which is why I don't understand all this leaping to conclusions about Smith.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:37 pm
Reilly Casey did not see a single minute on the field in 2021. Alyssa Long had 1 assist, 4gbs, 1ct, & 5 draws. Smith had 3 goals, 4gbs, and 1ct. Looks pretty even between Long and Smith to me. How can you say "They always performed well even in mop up duty, you could see the talent" about Casey & Long when one of them never even stepped on the field and the other has a pretty similar stat line?

I agree with you, none of them played much because UNC was loaded, which is why I don't understand all this leaping to conclusions about Smith.
There's no logic to that poster's argument. The reason they're leaping to conclusions is because most of their posts are to glorify UNC and tear down anyone who dares to question their place as the current top team in the sport. Which, to be clear, after last week few people are.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

jff97 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:44 pm

There's no logic to that poster's argument. The reason they're leaping to conclusions is because most of their posts are to glorify UNC and tear down anyone who dares to question their place as the current top team in the sport. Which, to be clear, after last week few people are.
I’m a UNC fan as well. I just think their accomplishments thus far are enough to speak for themselves without needing to speculate on former players.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:59 pm
jff97 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:44 pm

I’m a UNC fan as well. I just think their accomplishments thus far are enough to speak for themselves without needing to speculate on former players.
That's the most reasonable way to look at it. Plus with players transferring unless you're connected it's hard to know exactly why a player makes a decision she does. In this case, I'm not going to blame a player who saw limited playing time for transferring somewhere that's also a great opportunity much closer to home.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:19 pm Haha. I told you no one agrees with me.

I’ve always said, I wish the high school game would go to the NCAA model of releasable for the first four more but the more I watch the college game evolve, it think they should be go to the high school model as well. Non releasable from the first yellow. I guess the problem with that is, you would see even more flopping than you do now and that would have to be cracked down on as well. I fell asleep in the fourth quarter last night, but there had to of been at least 4-5 blatant flops in the NU/SB game.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”