Athletes Unlimited 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Athletes Unlimited 2022

Post by DMac »

This looks like a picture of five girls with medals on but it's still too close to call?
Another W*T*F
https://www.facebook.com/AUProSports
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:39 pm This looks like a picture of five girls with medals on but it's still too close to call?
Another W*T*F
If I had to guess
MVP
DOY
AOY
MOY
GOY
DMac

Post by DMac »

If there are additional points for doggedness in chase and grizzly play in general, Apuzzo wins it.

How long of a list of valuable players to a team could you make, and what ten would you chose if you had first pick and could chose all ten at once? There are so many good players, you could make an argument for several of them to be the MVP, creme de la creme, bestly of the bestest. Superb players and really fun to watch.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:51 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:39 pm This looks like a picture of five girls with medals on but it's still too close to call?
Another W*T*F
If I had to guess
MVP
DOY
AOY
MOY
GOY
The players in the photo are, L to R: Block, Moreno, Read, Apuzzo, and Mastroianni.

So that would be a good guess, except the web site still says "too close to call." And I haven't heard them mention MOY, AOY, or GOY. Only DOY which seems kinda weird.

My guess is maybe they have confirmed the top four (Moreno, Read, Apuzzo, and Mastroianni), just not the winner. They said the top four get medals. And Block is DOY so that is why she's in the pic.

To correct an obvious error I made earlier: if they have AOY, obviously it is Apuzzo, not North or Kent. Duh.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, that makes much more sense.
Was very surprised when I read that.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:10 pm Looks like Becca Block is the Geico D player of the year....back to back years.
Trenchard just phenomenal too though.
I’m just curious in a league that’s based off of a point system… how is the defender with the most points (Lizzie Colson) not the DPOY
DMac

Post by DMac »

Purely a guess, these are voted on by the players, the other is strictly by numbers?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Player vote?

I believe Block was the first defender drafted every week.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

No doubt she’s very good and deserves the honor but just curious how these POYs are chosen
njbill

Post by njbill »

Per AU Twitter, the MVPs of the game were, in order: Kent, O’Donnell, and Apuzzo.

So that gives Apuzzo 15 MVP points. By my count, that puts her 10 points behind Moreno. I guess they think a 10 point differential makes it too close to call.

So do they just review today’s game or do they take a look at all games in which either player played?

I think the award for winning MVP is some comparatively big bucks (not sure the exact amount) so perhaps they feel they need to be extra careful.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Given the point system and the many ways to earn them, the stat keepers could really come into play with just ten points separating these two. Seems to me that the likelihood of being ten off with Apuzzo would be greater than with Moreno inasmuch as Apuzzo is just more involved in play all over the field. Can't say that I care at all who ends up being crowned the champ as the medals already hanging from their necks pretty much says it all for me, both were outstanding. If the audit ends up with the two girls tied and the won-loss records are used as a tie braker, Apuzzo wins it. Moreno got no breaks at all in that category (got the L in the shoot out game...think that was v T Apuzzo too...and the OT game).
Very glad with the MOY call, Mastroianni was just phenomenal. That gal has had herself quite a year, what an absolutely terrific player she is. Am good with the AOY call too, Apuzzo is absolutely deserving. Got no problem with the DOY call either although I wouldn't have had a problem with that going to Trenchard either, she was just phenomenal too.
All in all this league delivers a fantastic product and the point system, as very different as that is, did indeed bring quite a bit of drama to the last game. Although I know there are many who are not going to like how they "let them play" in this league, I must say I like it a lot. Sorry to see it all come to end, will be the last time we see many of these gals play too.
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:24 am Given the point system and the many ways to earn them, the stat keepers could really come into play with just ten points separating these two. Seems to me that the likelihood of being ten off with Apuzzo would be greater than with Moreno inasmuch as Apuzzo is just more involved in play all over the field. Can't say that I care at all who ends up being crowned the champ as the medals already hanging from their necks pretty much says it all for me, both were outstanding. If the audit ends up with the two girls tied and the won-loss records are used as a tie braker, Apuzzo wins it. Moreno got no breaks at all in that category (got the L in the shoot out game...think that was v T Apuzzo too...and the OT game).
Very glad with the MOY call, Mastroianni was just phenomenal. That gal has had herself quite a year, what an absolutely terrific player she is. Am good with the AOY call too, Apuzzo is absolutely deserving. Got no problem with the DOY call either although I wouldn't have had a problem with that going to Trenchard either, she was just phenomenal too.
All in all this league delivers a fantastic product and the point system, as very different as that is, did indeed bring quite a bit of drama to the last game. Although I know there are many who are not going to like how they "let them play" in this league, I must say I like it a lot. Sorry to see it all come to end, will be the last time we see many of these gals play too.
Moreno was top point earner. You can read about it here: https://auprosports.com/read/taylor-mor ... -champion/

The picture is of the four top point earners or medalists. There is no AOY, GOY or MOY from what I can tell just a DOY.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Looks like in the post game audit (still don’t know if it was just this last game or all games in which the two players participated) Moreno extended her lead by one point. Not sure if she got an extra point or if Apuzzo lost one.

In any event, I think a pretty good argument can be made that they were the two best players in the league this summer.

Amazing that teams Apuzzo was on went 10-2.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bart wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 am
DMac wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:24 am Given the point system and the many ways to earn them, the stat keepers could really come into play with just ten points separating these two. Seems to me that the likelihood of being ten off with Apuzzo would be greater than with Moreno inasmuch as Apuzzo is just more involved in play all over the field. Can't say that I care at all who ends up being crowned the champ as the medals already hanging from their necks pretty much says it all for me, both were outstanding. If the audit ends up with the two girls tied and the won-loss records are used as a tie braker, Apuzzo wins it. Moreno got no breaks at all in that category (got the L in the shoot out game...think that was v T Apuzzo too...and the OT game).
Moreno was top point earner. You can read about it here: https://auprosports.com/read/taylor-mor ... -champion/

The picture is of the four top point earners or medalists. There is no AOY, GOY or MOY from what I can tell just a DOY.
Oh, thanks. Still pleased with who is wearing the medals.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:56 am Amazing that teams Apuzzo was on went 10-2.
This is pretty crazy when you think about it, those two loses cost Apuzzo the "championship" (individual points for all with the team win)
while Moreno's four loses (at least?) didn't hurt her at all.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Bart wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 am

Way to go Taylor! I coached her from 6th grade on so I am absolutely pumped to see her crowned Champion!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice, can sure understand your being pumped.
She made two or three point blank saves v APUZZO in this last game too and there's your point difference.
Sam can only tip her hat to her on that note.
totc

Post by totc »

First time a recount has ever been used in women's lacrosse!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:15 pm Player vote?

I believe Block was the first defender drafted every week.
Apologies if Seacoaster has already pointed this out, but Becca Block is a NH lacrosse player and ISL alum (Gov’s). There is a nice profile on the four Block women and their contributions to lacrosse in this profile:
https://www.thegovernorsacademy.org/new ... a-block-09

It’s a testament to the growth of NH lacrosse that two members of the US team have Granite State roots. Arsenault is the other. Congrats to SC who has played a role in that growth.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, what a great article and not just a bunch hype and fluff, she's every bit as good as that article would lead you to believe she is. Thanks for posting, CO.
With their shared success playing at Govs and with Seacoast Lacrosse Club out of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, the twins began to attract a lot of college recruiting attention, namely Syracuse University.
Never knew anything about this club or place (long time mlaxer...well, very long actually...relative newbee wlax fan) all this time I thought our boy Seacoaster(1) was probably a surfer, maybe a sailor, but more than likely just a beach bum. ;)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”