Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxGnome22

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:17 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:56 pm Maryland Lacrosse Showcase finally released 15 of their “over 100” coaches attending. Honestly, they should be arrested for the heist and that is what it is. All showcases are money grabs we know and pretty much accept that. This one is down right theft! The Hood coach should be arrested.
Wish I knew you were trying to sign up, I would have tried to stop you.

In terms of multi-team camps/showcase, here are the ones I think make sense for women's lax. (And even some of these prob may not make sense if you play on a top 30 club time.

- Best In Class
- Lacrosse Masters
- Juniors Open
- UA150 (though this is even borderline now)
- UNC winter multi-school camp
- Elite 12 regional camp
- Northwestern summer multi-school camp
- All American tryouts for regions which have them in recuriting windows

That's it. That's the list. Pretty much everthing else is a cash grab with little recruiting event. Even some of those above may not make sense. Prospect days are almost always better uses of $$.
I gotta be honest. I know they’re all cash grabs. But the Maryland one was dishonest. We tried to get out of it in February before they listed anything because we couldn’t make it. Emily Barber answered back “No Refunds” and then sent the refund policy link. The last three months I’ve heard people constantly asking what colleges were coming and sue ghosted everyone. Almost like hey, give us all your money and then we’ll tell you. Even at some of the other cash grabs they have a wide selection of coaches. Here they advertised d1 would be there and there was very few. She’s disingenuous. Hopefully karma comes around.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I’ve said it multiple times. It doesn’t matter if it’s Maryland Showcase or Juniors or AA. You are better off just going to the college prospect ones. They are money grabs as well, but if you can play, at least you get face time with the coaches and they can see your interest. I would have saved thousands of someone gave me that advice two years ago.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:57 pm
CnyLax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:31 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:56 pm Maryland Lacrosse Showcase finally released 15 of their “over 100” coaches attending. Honestly, they should be arrested for the heist and that is what it is. All showcases are money grabs we know and pretty much accept that. This one is down right theft! The Hood coach should be arrested.

In terms of multi-team camps/showcase, here are the ones I think make sense for women's lax. (And even some of these prob may not make sense if you play on a top 30 club time.

- Best In Class
- Lacrosse Masters
- Juniors Open
- Elite 12 regional camp

That's it. That's the list. Pretty much everthing else is a cash grab with little recruiting event. Even some of those above may not make sense. Prospect days are almost always better uses of $$.
I add American Select too
Are Max Exposure and Triple Threat still a thing? My daughter got initial attention from the program she ended up playing with from Triple Threat.
Same with mine...but the offer came from max exposure
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:20 pm I’ve said it multiple times. It doesn’t matter if it’s Maryland Showcase or Juniors or AA. You are better off just going to the college prospect ones. They are money grabs as well, but if you can play, at least you get face time with the coaches and they can see your interest. I would have saved thousands of someone gave me that advice two years ago.
We actually prided ourselves on how little we spent on these events and opting 99% of the time to pass on them even though the fear of missing out was there. DD now plays for a top 20 D1. Parents, if you can get past the FOMO you don’t need these money grab events. Save your money for more targeted events with the schools your DD is actually interested in attending.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:16 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:57 pm
CnyLax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:31 pm

- Best In Class
- Lacrosse Masters
- Juniors Open
- Elite 12 regional camp

I add American Select too
Are Max Exposure and Triple Threat still a thing? My daughter got initial attention from the program she ended up playing with from Triple Threat.
Same with mine...but the offer came from max exposure

Triple Threat still exists. It's actually a really good middle school camp. Colleges on the recruitable ages have really fallen off.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:20 pm I’ve said it multiple times. It doesn’t matter if it’s Maryland Showcase or Juniors or AA. You are better off just going to the college prospect ones. They are money grabs as well, but if you can play, at least you get face time with the coaches and they can see your interest. I would have saved thousands of someone gave me that advice two years ago.
I agree that prospect camps are where offers are ultimately earned. However, you need to get some exposure before then to get in the top group or two that coaches actually watch. If you play on a top 40 club team who plays in top events, it will happen organically. If not, then you need to look at other options.

The one exception I will say, though, is that if you are targeting NESCAC or Ivy, Lacrosse Masters high academic event is huge bang for buck.
lax

Post by lax »

So which 15 coaches will be there? Would love to see the list.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

lax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:52 pm
So which 15 coaches will be there? Would love to see the list.
I’d love to tell you but the Maryland Showcase Instagram blocked me because I made a remark and said, “No wonder they haven’t released this list. Then I wrote. Read this quick because they will delete it. They deleted my post and blocked me. I think the two biggest schools they had was High Point and Florida Southern. I’m sure Hood College coach will be there. She just got away with milking parents out of 140k.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:21 pm
I agree that prospect camps are where offers are ultimately earned. However, you need to get some exposure before then to get in the top group or two that coaches actually watch. If you play on a top 40 club team who plays in top events, it will happen organically. If not, then you need to look at other options.

The one exception I will say, though, is that if you are targeting NESCAC or Ivy, Lacrosse Masters high academic event is huge bang for buck.
Elite 180 is also good for the NESCAC, high academic D3.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:25 pm
We actually prided ourselves on how little we spent on these events and opting 99% of the time to pass on them even though the fear of missing out was there. DD now plays for a top 20 D1. Parents, if you can get past the FOMO you don’t need these money grab events. Save your money for more targeted events with the schools your DD is actually interested in attending.
Totally agree. My daughter did not play for a well know, large club team and was spotted at the NE cup at U Mass. Then went to a specific school's camp and was offered right after. (Top 3 ACC school) Never went to the big tourney in Fla usually held around Thanksgiving, didn't try out for UA All AM, never went anywhere outside of where her club team went which was basically NE. (did not attend BC so went our of region) Played 3 sports in HS so didn't necessarily focus on just lax either. Maybe she was just one of the lucky ones?!
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Sunnylax wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:02 am
Totally agree. My daughter did not play for a well know, large club team and was spotted at the NE cup at U Mass. Then went to a specific school's camp and was offered right after. (Top 3 ACC school) Never went to the big tourney in Fla usually held around Thanksgiving, didn't try out for UA All AM, never went anywhere outside of where her club team went which was basically NE. (did not attend BC so went our of region) Played 3 sports in HS so didn't necessarily focus on just lax either. Maybe she was just one of the lucky ones?!
Wish I could say the same. Spent a lot the last few years on wasted clinics and showcases. Still wasting. No need to either. 30 coaches watches her team every tourney this year.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

I’d say pretty unusual to land at UNC/Syracuse from an under the radar New England club but good for her!

The harder thing about playing for a less visible club is that you have fewer chances to be seen. You can make the argument that if you’re playing for a top club with lots of coaches at your tournament games that additional showcases aren’t as needed. But if coaches aren’t those games, getting more in person looks can make sense.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

lax410 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:50 am
I’d say pretty unusual to land at UNC/Syracuse from an under the radar New England club but good for her!

The harder thing about playing for a less visible club is that you have fewer chances to be seen. You can make the argument that if you’re playing for a top club with lots of coaches at your tournament games that additional showcases aren’t as needed. But if coaches aren’t those games, getting more in person looks can make sense.
Yes. I agree with that. If you’re on a top club you don’t need the showcases. But if you are on the 90th ranked club you probably do.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

lax410 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:50 am

This is so true. Daughters played at public schools in VA. DIdnt play on M&D, Cap Blue, etc....played to have fun with friends. Led to limited exposure. Going to combines got the oldest on the Prospect day lists. Excelling at those seemed to follow to the next schools (weird lax network). One school would offer because another had. Max Exposure was where she got seen by her ultimate coach. Coach said something like this...."if I hadnt seen you at Max E. I would never have seen you. Your club wasnt competing at the highest levels and there are only so many games we can watch." Quality film also helped with the exposure that wasnt going to happen at the big Tourneys.
Oldfashion32

Post by Oldfashion32 »

My daughter plays D1 at a school that usually falls between #25-35 at the year end rankings. She played on a mid-level club team (non Heroes, YJ, or M&D, etc.) never tried out for the Under Armour type showcases, but did attend multiple school specific camps that she was interested in and those that had reached out to her from fall and summer tournaments. When she met with the coach from the school that she ultimately signed with, coach told her that the reason they started recruiting her was due to the 2-3 minute video my daughter put together herself on IMovie or something like that. Before every tournament she'd sit down and send a short personal email along with the video to the attending coaches of the schools she was interested in. Don't discount the impact that little effort might produce.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Oldfashion32 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:58 pm My daughter plays D1 at a school that usually falls between #25-35 at the year end rankings. She played on a mid-level club team (non Heroes, YJ, or M&D, etc.) never tried out for the Under Armour type showcases, but did attend multiple school specific camps that she was interested in and those that had reached out to her from fall and summer tournaments. When she met with the coach from the school that she ultimately signed with, coach told her that the reason they started recruiting her was due to the 2-3 minute video my daughter put together herself on IMovie or something like that. Before every tournament she'd sit down and send a short personal email along with the video to the attending coaches of the schools she was interested in. Don't discount the impact that little effort might produce.
Yes. we did the same....It did impact who came to see her.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

On the recruiting front there was two big tourneys this weekend. Both in the same place. Mid Summer Chamlionship which had one or two top teams but the larger amount of coaches there. And Maryland Cup which was a new Steps tourney in its second year that probably had the better of the top 25 teams but less coaches. At this point I would think it didn’t matter as colleges have basically seen what they need to see. This is just desert.
From the games standpoints Top dog Spallina didn’t fare too well. Was tied once by Sky Walkers and beat by Prime Time but top prospect A. Spallina didn’t play cause she was injured during the tourney. HHH had a dreadful performance. Prime Time and Steps seemed to have the best tourney.

For Mid Summer. M&D rolled through and NXT lost 1. The rest of the field was mostly out of the top 25. Mostly anyway. Wonder if M&D gets the top spot.

Not sure why I posted this other than being bored and wanting to spark something on this forum. Oh well.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Good stuff Relax77. I wish I knew about this forum when we were recruiting. Would have been great to get this level of tournament and recruiting intel.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:29 pm On the recruiting front there was two big tourneys this weekend. Both in the same place. Mid Summer Chamlionship which had one or two top teams but the larger amount of coaches there. And Maryland Cup which was a new Steps tourney in its second year that probably had the better of the top 25 teams but less coaches. At this point I would think it didn’t matter as colleges have basically seen what they need to see. This is just desert.
From the games standpoints Top dog Spallina didn’t fare too well. Was tied once by Sky Walkers and beat by Prime Time but top prospect A. Spallina didn’t play cause she was injured during the tourney. HHH had a dreadful performance. Prime Time and Steps seemed to have the best tourney.

For Mid Summer. M&D rolled through and NXT lost 1. The rest of the field was mostly out of the top 25. Mostly anyway. Wonder if M&D gets the top spot.

Not sure why I posted this other than being bored and wanting to spark something on this forum. Oh well.

From a recruiting perspective, during the Friday games (when midatlantic didn't play yet), I saw more coaches than at any tourney (even more that LFTC or G8). At my daughter's second pool play game, we had head coaches from Duke, ND, Stanford, Florida, Hopkins Michigan and assistants from UNC, Syr, Rutgers, UVA, Tech, Hopkins. All told 45 coaches, mostly D1, saw at least one half of a single game.

Agree that Saturday most coaches moved on.

This is likely. moot point for next year since MD Cup will be a one-day event instead and most top teams won't be going back.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

What are your thoughts on the Adrenaline All-American games? It's mainly for West Coast/Midwest based players. I Think it's good that these players are getting recognized and these games are always fun events for players and parents even though they aren't considered the best of the best like the UnderArmour/New Balance All-America games. But i've also heard the sentiment that we don't need multiple All-Star games. Personally i see no issue. The country is big enough to handle that. Also alot of underrated good players come out of the west and they deserve to be recognized

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”