Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by CU77 »

Some good news in those game notes:
• The game will be broadcast live on ESPN+ with Barry Leonard on the call.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You guys got this. They beat us bad in second half but Lehigh is all one in one play and mediocre ball handling. Will feed right into your close D. Sisselberger won’t get as many calls on the road.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

This game today has me a bit on edge. If the offensive efficiency doesn’t improve, the lack of faceoff wins and possessions could be difficult to overcome.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:28 am This game today has me a bit on edge. If the offensive efficiency doesn’t improve, the lack of faceoff wins and possessions could be difficult to overcome.
We split w Sisselberger despite 7 FO violation calls against us there. Same kid you played against last year did the same to him last season (Adam Shea). Your wings are always strong.

And I think the way they play so much one on one with their attack will feed right into your strengths.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Cornell defense today was absolutely Stifling. Adler, Follows, Singer etc can shut down any offense. Sisselberger was great on the X, but Cornells defense just prevented his dominance from being a factor. I think Lehigh had 9 , yes 9 shots on goal. Their was just nothing Lehigh could do offensively to solve the Cornell D.
On offense, as usual Kirst was Kirst but Coyle is becoming a force that teams will now have to focus on more and the "new Piatelli" looks way more comfortable in this offense.
First look at Cascadden on the X and the dude is a beast who held his own against one of the best in the business.
Was this impressive enough or will Cornell drop another 7 or 8 spots in the Forum poll after another win? Wow, I'm getting more cynical as I age.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Great victory today. When Cascadden took the faceoff with Psyllos on one of the wings, they were able to neutralize Sisselberger. This bodes well for Cornell's faceoff procedure going forward. Brian Piatelli is getting great minutes while awaiting Mike Long's return, which will help with depth. Brendan Staub is the real deal and Chris Davis is even better than last year. Kirst is Kirst, & even more impressive on ground balls and in riding. Gavin Adler has picked up where he left off last year shutting down Lehigh's star attackman who was averaging 8 points/game. Numerous turnovers caused by the Big Red and they even killed a 2 man down situation without allowing a score. At least 7 failed clears for Lehigh. Great to see JJ Lombardi & Aiden Blake looking healthy. If defense wins championships, the Big Red is in good shape! Cornell's defense shut out Lehigh for over 40 straight minutes. They were averaging 19.5 goals/game and were held to 5! GO BIG RED.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

D was strong however concerned about depth at short stick, big drop off after Davis and Bozzi. Lehigh took advantage of that initially until Stevens seem to make adjustments.

I though the offense struggled, 2 of 3 second half goals came off rides. Our settle offense seems to struggle to create opportunities. Hoping Long will be back soon.

Great to see Freshman early contributions, Staub looks great and Cascadden came in and was able to give us 50/50 chance at FO.

Solid win with good learning to be ready for tougher opponents ahead.
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Offense still pretty rusty - getting Long back will help.

1st mids also aren’t in sync. And looks like Blake is still getting his game legs back in shape.

2nd mids we’re very good.

And loved the play of the defense.

Good week to week improvement overall.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Big full field improvement from last week - though my guess is that UA might be somewhat underrated (especially given their season opener in the dome). The team is so well coached - both game prep and in-game. Hopefully, the boys will continue to tighten things up, as there are some areas of concern.
Defense First
-The close guys were really good. The 2nd half-shut out speaks for itself, though one or two bad miscommunication errors behind the cage (one of which was "saved" by a great effort by Singer) that Lehigh failed to score on.
-Adler had an excellent day, though the guy who gets my attention is, like last week, a guy whose name is rarely called - Follows. He is so fundamentally sound. Seemingly plays at a VERY high level, all of the time.
-Talk about smart in-game coaching. Stevens is basically trying to play (almost) the entire game with with 3 ss. He did play 9 for a 2nd quarter cameo, and he got beat from x. Didn't see the field again until late in the game. So he's only playing 5, 6, and 7. So rather than continue to double pole on FO's as they did early in the 1st quarter, he started using Psyllos on a wing to relieve 5 or 7 from their normal FO wing duties. And Psyllos is good there - especially with Cascadden who was tying up Sissellberger, which gave the wings more time to get involved in 50/50's.
-Lehigh only got 5 goals for the day - two early off of shorties who gave up too much separation up top and one on an x-dodge off of 9.
Offense
-As LaFalce said multiple times, the 2nd line looked more cohesive than the 1st. Perhaps because they have no "alpha" and focus on moving the ball.
-Very different offensive plan than vs. UA. Ball movement, looked to pass inside. Very few intermediate to long range shots all day. Lehigh went zone a bit in the 1st half - I thought they should have stayed with it. Though they went zone in the 2nd half, Cornell had lots of good looks. Didn't do much though. This is another area of concern - lack of longer range shooters - if I'm defending Cornell I either (try to) go zone or really pack the defense in to preclude inside looks.
-Misc. - Blake - not sure of his physical status; he had a sleeve last week and what looked to be an ACL brace this week. Lombardi looks quicker/faster than I recall as an underclassman. Wirtheim - 2 nice assists, but somewhat quiet again. Perhaps he looked to do more last year when he was the main guy on the 2nd line. The mids threw a ton of passes that were tipped or intercepted (note 27). Lehigh continued to jump passing lanes and the sloppy passing went on far too long.
Other:
-FOGO - Only 3 or 4 FO's in the entire 2nd half. Of note was that Buczek never went back to 28.
-Looks like Cornell was definitely prepared for the 10 man ride - and that they planned to use the full-field "shot" as a key clearing technique. And it worked every time.
-Lehigh - the wheels really came off for them in the 2nd half, especially on clears.
-When Long return, does Coyle return to the 1st middies (and if so, I assume 31 goes to the 2nd line and someone sits) or does Piatelli become the 4th attackman? If Piatelli's role is as a finisher, his "conversion rate" has to be higher.
another fan

Post by another fan »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:16 pm Big full field improvement from last week - though my guess is that UA might be somewhat underrated (especially given their season opener in the dome). The team is so well coached - both game prep and in-game. Hopefully, the boys will continue to tighten things up, as there are some areas of concern.
Defense First
-The close guys were really good. The 2nd half-shut out speaks for itself, though one or two bad miscommunication errors behind the cage (one of which was "saved" by a great effort by Singer) that Lehigh failed to score on.
-Adler had an excellent day, though the guy who gets my attention is, like last week, a guy whose name is rarely called - Follows. He is so fundamentally sound. Seemingly plays at a VERY high level, all of the time.
-Talk about smart in-game coaching. Stevens is basically trying to play (almost) the entire game with with 3 ss. He did play 9 for a 2nd quarter cameo, and he got beat from x. Didn't see the field again until late in the game. So he's only playing 5, 6, and 7. So rather than continue to double pole on FO's as they did early in the 1st quarter, he started using Psyllos on a wing to relieve 5 or 7 from their normal FO wing duties. And Psyllos is good there - especially with Cascadden who was tying up Sissellberger, which gave the wings more time to get involved in 50/50's.
-Lehigh only got 5 goals for the day - two early off of shorties who gave up too much separation up top and one on an x-dodge off of 9.
Offense
-As LaFalce said multiple times, the 2nd line looked more cohesive than the 1st. Perhaps because they have no "alpha" and focus on moving the ball.
-Very different offensive plan than vs. UA. Ball movement, looked to pass inside. Very few intermediate to long range shots all day. Lehigh went zone a bit in the 1st half - I thought they should have stayed with it. Though they went zone in the 2nd half, Cornell had lots of good looks. Didn't do much though. This is another area of concern - lack of longer range shooters - if I'm defending Cornell I either (try to) go zone or really pack the defense in to preclude inside looks.
-Misc. - Blake - not sure of his physical status; he had a sleeve last week and what looked to be an ACL brace this week. Lombardi looks quicker/faster than I recall as an underclassman. Wirtheim - 2 nice assists, but somewhat quiet again. Perhaps he looked to do more last year when he was the main guy on the 2nd line. The mids threw a ton of passes that were tipped or intercepted (note 27). Lehigh continued to jump passing lanes and the sloppy passing went on far too long.
Other:
-FOGO - Only 3 or 4 FO's in the entire 2nd half. Of note was that Buczek never went back to 28.
-Looks like Cornell was definitely prepared for the 10 man ride - and that they planned to use the full-field "shot" as a key clearing technique. And it worked every time.
-Lehigh - the wheels really came off for them in the 2nd half, especially on clears.
-When Long return, does Coyle return to the 1st middies (and if so, I assume 31 goes to the 2nd line and someone sits) or does Piatelli become the 4th attackman? If Piatelli's role is as a finisher, his "conversion rate" has to be higher.
Excellent analysis. Close defense+ Ierlan+ Staub play lock down defense, and both UA and Lehigh game plans were to attack our shorties. Davis is playing at the star level and Bozzi has been very solid. Miller was never particularly fast, but he was able to keep his man close enough and use his strength to push his man off line. He seems a half step slower now, and I wonder if he is completely healthy. As you said, great adjustment moving Psyllos to the wing to rest 5 and 7 and because he plays well there-- never stops scrapping, good off the ground, and smart with the ball in his stick. Cascadden having a decent time against one of the best also allowed the use of Psyllos in a roll other than facing off. However, I don't think going with 3 short sticks is the long term answer. Our coaches see all our options in practice and are not afraid to make bold, even innovative moves. (Ex. Walker Wallace must be moving up the depth chart as a pole as he was out there when we were 2 men down). I wonder if Psyllos is an option as a d mid? Dalton plays that position for the Canadian National team and in box, but I like the way he and the second line have been playing. With regard to where to play Coyle when Long returns, I think our strongest attack would be Long, Kirst and Coyle. Our first midfield has really been playing sluggishly and even error-prone, but I have to believe they will get untracked. If, on the other hand, Coyle bumps down to midfield, that could provide a needed spark. Wirhheim would presumably go to the second line and somebody would sit, or Dalton would move to D. Overall, this was a markedly improved effort, and it's reassuring to know we are doing it without Long and with a first O midfield that is not even close to hitting its stride.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:25 pm while awaiting Mike Long's return
"Mr. Godot told me to tell you he won't come this evening but surely tomorrow."

https://resources.saylor.org/wwwresourc ... -Godot.pdf
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Good win against a "Receiving Votes" opponent. Next week will be tough. A good Hobart team on Tuesday followed by an away game in Columbus against a very strong Ohio State team. March looks like a really tough month with OSU, PSU, Yale and Penn. Frankly, I'd rather see a stout defense than an amazing offense with these teams coming up. However, as Joe Willie noted, I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff's ability to adapt and correct.
molo

Post by molo »

Congratulations to the Red for doing what the other top three Ivy teams could not do today. They may not have a big win yet, but they are taking care of the games on their schedule.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Very strange game today.

The offense looked great in the first half. The ball movement was very good and the team was getting great looks and finding open men for some easy goals. That led to 9 goals. Kirst was Kirst and Coyle was on today. Then it kind of stagnated in the second half. Some of that had to do with Pecora, the Lehigh goalie, who made 7 or 8 saves in the 3rd quarter and some had to do with running out the clock in the 4th quarter. Still, after the two quick Piatelli goals to open the second half, Cornell scored once in the final 25 minutes. Cornell still scored 12 goals without a point from the 1st midfield. That is both good and bad. The good is that the 2nd middies played very well today. The bad is that the first middies are just off right now. Kelleher seems to be pressing and Blake seems a bit tentative and unsure of his knee. They will get better, which means the midfield is very deep. I don't think the first middies have a goal yet this season and there is no way that will last.

I was wondering when Cascadden would get a shot and it came today. He held his own against one of the top Fogos in the country and this bodes well for the rest of the season. Moving Psyllos to the wing was brilliant and is further evidence of the ability of the coaching staff to make in game adjustments.

The defense was tremendous. Lehigh couldn't even manufacture shots, let alone goals. Adler and Follows were good as always, but Staub had a bit of a coming out party today and Singer was solid too. Lehigh's game plan was to attack the SSDMs, but Davis and Bozzi just stepped it up a notch from the 2nd quarter on and Lehigh had no answer. Credit to Stevens for adjusting. It is a pleasure to watch such a well coached team.

Cornell's ride was the key to the game today. The attack was just incredibly pesky all day and Kirst is just a complete player. And the strategy to have Adler shoot with a back up as a clear to beat the Lehigh ride was brilliant as well. Cornell just dominated the hustle stats.

This is a big win. Let's hope Long is back soon and that the 1st middies get the kinks out. The schedule does not get any easier.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:30 pm ...

Cornell's ride was the key to the game today. The attack was just incredibly pesky all day and Kirst is just a complete player. And the strategy to have Adler shoot with a back up as a clear to beat the Lehigh ride was brilliant as well. Cornell just dominated the hustle stats.
Yeah, but Adler needs to improve his aim. Maybe the coaches can get Jake Pulver to give Gavin some tips.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Has Ben Abladian had much playing time? I haven't noticed him on ESPN+, but then this may be due to shoddy camera work and announcing. (Or my growing senility.)

It seems with Long out, Abladian would be a logical replacement on attack.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Per box scores, he has not seen any playing time.
bwparker1

Post by bwparker1 »

I thought the Big Red played much better than they did against Albany. Solid performance all-around. I had the pleasure of getting to watch Hockey team beat Yale last night in New Haven as well. Great weekend for Lax & Hockey, heading into March. Let go Red!
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:30 pm Very strange game today.

I don't think the first middies have a goal yet this season and there is no way that will last.
Kelleher had a nice one at UAlbany.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”