NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Essexfenwick

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by Essexfenwick »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:05 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:39 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:57 pm It seems to me that everybody is focusing on why the Clemsons of the ACC might want to get out. What about the Wakes of the ACC who will want every drop of blood the contract entitles them to?
Plus Clemson isn’t safe. The SEC won’t take 2 teams in South Carolina. Big Ten doesn’t want the tiny media market. Florida State is probably the only take. Unc and Uva besides being trapped by GOR are also trapped together with VT and NCst not able to be left in an inferior conference politically.

It’s really interesting
You don’t know what you are talking about.
I know exactly what I’m talking about.
Reality for the ACC is not so bad. It’s just way below the B1G and SEC but on par with all the other conferences .
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:04 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:57 pm It seems to me that everybody is focusing on why the Clemsons of the ACC might want to get out. What about the Wakes of the ACC who will want every drop of blood the contract entitles them to?
Plus Clemson isn’t safe. The SEC won’t take 2 teams in South Carolina. Big Ten doesn’t want the tiny media market. Florida State is probably the only take. Unc and Uva besides being trapped by GOR are also trapped together with VT and NCst not able to be left in an inferior conference politically.

It’s really interesting
Reality for the ACC is not so bad. It’s just way below the B1G and SEC but on par with all the other conferences .
So why would they stay in it. I’ll be waiting for the ADs at these schools and board of directors to say “the ACC is not so bad” just be happy with what you have. 😂
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:29 pm

It’s really interesting
So why would they stay in it. I’ll be waiting for the ADs at these schools and board of directors to say “the ACC is not so bad” just be happy with what you have. 😂
Because they are all stuck as long as most schools in the deal are in better shape than they would be without it. For different reasons none of the schools other than Florida State and Notre Dame bring value that doesn’t lower the payout for member schools of the SEC and B1G. The B1G is only considering Stanford and Washington for the #6 media market and late game time zone for all day Saturday football .. also huge research institutions. I’ve also heard Colorado for mountain time zone and the mountain region. The ACC is out of the picture value wise and GOR among other reasons like Va and NC split media between 2 major schools with Ncsu and VT having larger alumni and better football than Unc and Uva. Florida State is a valuable school with Florida being such a huge state and Florida already safe in the SEC. I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas and Florida end up in the B1G eventually because the money is better and the schools are more aligned academically and research oriented.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:17 pm

It’s really interesting
Because they are all stuck as long as most schools in the deal are in better shape than they would be without it. For different reasons none of the schools other than Florida State and Notre Dame bring value that doesn’t lower the payout for member schools of the SEC and B1G. The B1G is only considering Stanford and Washington for the #6 media market and late game time zone for all day Saturday football .. also huge research institutions. I’ve also heard Colorado for mountain time zone and the mountain region. The ACC is out of the picture value wise and GOR among other reasons like Va and NC split media between 2 major schools with Ncsu and VT having larger alumni and better football than Unc and Uva. Florida State is a valuable school with Florida being such a huge state and Florida already safe in the SEC. I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas and Florida end up in the B1G eventually because the money is better and the schools are more aligned academically and research oriented.
Healthy conferences are not held together through GOR provisions.

If any of the top ACC football brand schools are unhappy (Clemson, FSU, Miami), then none of the ACC schools should be happy.

And I can’t imagine any of the big ACC football schools are happy. Clemson is not going to be happy bringing in a small fraction of what Notre Dame and Alabama are bringing in. FSU can’t be happy that it will be getting something like a half or less of the money Florida is bringing in.

The traditional ACC basketball schools won’t be happy either. What if some Big Ten or SEC teams decide to use their financial advantage to hire away the best basketball coaches in the ACC?

The GOR is not going to resolve all of this either. Let’s say Clemson, FSU, and Miami decide to leave the ACC but don’t want to pay the penalty outlined in the GOR. They preemptively file a lawsuit against the ACC in a state court in Tallahassee which … oh, golly gee … happens to be the hometown of FSU. By filing first, Clemson, FSU, and Miami will be able to choose the venue of their choice.

Now, I would probably estimate (conservatively), that the pre-trial costs and fees of such a suit are going to exceed $20 million. Probably at least another $10 million for the trial. The inevitable appeal(s) will take years and millions more. Does the ACC really want to pick such a fight in FSU’s hometown where even the judge is probably an FSU fan?

No, they would reach some sort of monetary settlement that would not cost anywhere near what the GOR would require.

If the ACC and its members are wise, the conference and its members would do everything they need to do to keep the major ACC football schools happy. That would probably require a renegotiation of the ACC media deal with ESPN (and maybe others), probably dropping the onerous GOR provisions and working towards the goal of closing the revenue gap with the SEC and Big Ten.

That could take some time to work out and may even require affiliations or agreements with other conferences (e.g., the PAC-12).

In the meantime, ACC schools may agree to an interim “imbalanced revenue distribution” that the ACC commissioner discussed over the summer where non-football powers like UVA, UNC, and Duke agree to surrender something like $1 million of their annual revenue distribution and then give that pooled money to football powers like Clemson, FSU, and Miami, keeping them satisfied for the time being.

One thing you won’t see the ACC do is keep things the same and watch their conference fall far behind the Big Ten and SEC.

Again, healthy conferences are not held together through GOR provisions.

Something’s gotta give.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:09 pm

It’s really interesting

If any of the top ACC football brand schools are unhappy (Clemson, FSU, Miami), then none of the ACC schools should be happy.

And I can’t imagine any of the big ACC football schools are happy. Clemson is not going to be happy bringing in a small fraction of what Notre Dame and Alabama are bringing in. FSU can’t be happy that it will be getting something like a half or less of the money Florida is bringing in.

The traditional ACC basketball schools won’t be happy either. What if some Big Ten or SEC teams decide to use their financial advantage to hire away the best basketball coaches in the ACC?

The GOR is not going to resolve all of this either. Let’s say Clemson, FSU, and Miami decide to leave the ACC but don’t want to pay the penalty outlined in the GOR. They preemptively file a lawsuit against the ACC in a state court in Tallahassee which … oh, golly gee … happens to be the hometown of FSU. By filing first, Clemson, FSU, and Miami will be able to choose the venue of their choice.

Now, I would probably estimate (conservatively), that the pre-trial costs and fees of such a suit are going to exceed $20 million. Probably at least another $10 million for the trial. The inevitable appeal(s) will take years and millions more. Does the ACC really want to pick such a fight in FSU’s hometown where even the judge is probably an FSU fan?

No, they would reach some sort of monetary settlement that would not cost anywhere near what the GOR would require.

If the ACC and its members are wise, the conference and its members would do everything they need to do to keep the major ACC football schools happy. That would probably require a renegotiation of the ACC media deal with ESPN (and maybe others), probably dropping the onerous GOR provisions and working towards the goal of closing the revenue gap with the SEC and Big Ten.

That could take some time to work out and may even require affiliations or agreements with other conferences (e.g., the PAC-12).

In the meantime, ACC schools may agree to an interim “imbalanced revenue distribution” that the ACC commissioner discussed over the summer where non-football powers like UVA, UNC, and Duke agree to surrender something like $1 million of their annual revenue distribution and then give that pooled money to football powers like Clemson, FSU, and Miami, keeping them satisfied for the time being.

One thing you won’t see the ACC do is keep things the same and watch their conference fall far behind the Big Ten and SEC.

Something’s gotta give.

DocBarrister
The contract as written is being honored. Just the minority of schools in the contract were stupid doesn’t mean they don’t have to honor the terms especially since they advertise their institutions as smart. It’s not like they were fooled and no other conferences embarked on anything near as stupid. Unless they can get the majority of members give up their advantageous positions then they have no weaseling out. The B1G is not interested in any ACC school except ND for sure and potentially FSU. The SEC isn’t dealing with any of those schools with any massive legal cloud over them especially since none of them increase payout per member. If Florida and Texas flipped to the B1G then the SEC would want FSU and UNC but the B1G would be putting huge money distance ahead of the SEC at that point. It’s already lined up in a much more lucrative position now.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:29 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:09 pm

It’s really interesting

Something’s gotta give.

DocBarrister
The contract as written is being honored. Just the minority of schools in the contract were stupid doesn’t mean they don’t have to honor the terms especially since they advertise their institutions as smart. It’s not like they were fooled and no other conferences embarked on anything near as stupid. Unless they can get the majority of members give up their advantageous positions then they have no weaseling out. The B1G is not interested in any ACC school except ND for sure and potentially FSU. The SEC isn’t dealing with any of those schools with any massive legal cloud over them especially since none of them increase payout per member. If Florida and Texas flipped to the B1G then the SEC would want FSU and UNC but the B1G would be putting huge money distance ahead of the SEC at that point. It’s already lined up in a much more lucrative position now.
It’s questionable that the ACC would survive into the 2030s if the conference cannot close the revenue gap, at least to some extent, with the Big Ten and SEC. Even if the ACC survived, it certainly won’t thrive.

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips would not publicly discuss the option of imbalanced revenue distribution if that were not being discussed as an option among ACC members. And Phillips has already publicly stated that the ACC is trying to find a way to narrow the revenue gap with the SEC and Big Ten.

I strongly suspect all or nearly all the ACC schools want a new deal. Heck, ESPN probably wants a new deal, especially after ESPN lost the Big Ten.

Not so sure why you seem so insistent on keeping things the same when no one in the ACC or at ESPN seem to want things to remain as they are.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

my head hurts.
DocBarrister

Sources: ACC administrators had informal discussions about possible Pac-12, Big 12 additions or merger

Post by DocBarrister »

After USC and UCLA announced their intention to join the Big Ten this summer, ACC administrators had informal conversations regarding the possible additions of members of the Big 12 and Pac-12 or a potential merger of the three leagues, according to several sources.

… The Raleigh News & Observer was first to report the discussions.

Multiple other ACC sources told ESPN that expansion remains a discussion, but as one administrator noted, "nothing is imminent."

Citing text messages obtained via a Freedom of Information request, The News & Observer reported Friday that North Carolina chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and athletic director Bubba Cunningham had discussed a potential "partnership" with the two Power 5 leagues who'd recently lost members in realignment, including references to a conversation Cunningham had with former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney.

… Still, a large -- and growing -- revenue gap exists between the ACC (which generated a record $578 million in the 2020-21 fiscal year) and the SEC and Big Ten, the latter of which recently agreed to a new television package that will generate more than $1 billion annually.

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips has said "all options are on the table" as the league looks for ways to close that revenue gap. The league recently partnered with FishBait Solutions to identify potential revenue streams that could help boost the league's finances, but expansion remains a consideration.

… "We could have a super conference both athletically and academically," Guskiewicz texted, according to the News & Observer. "Probably would need to be called the Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference (APAC). Maybe that's crazy, but if it would get us a better TV deal, it may be worth considering."

The ACC would love to renegotiate its existing TV deal, which has been far outpaced by recent contracts signed by both the SEC and Big Ten, and a large-scale expansion could be one way to push television partners to the negotiating table. But Phillips has consistently said he's eager to work with ESPN to secure the future success of the ACC, and multiple athletic directors said all plans would be contingent on support from TV partners.

"Anything that you can do to enhance our current relationship with ESPN is certainly something we're working very hard on right now," Cunningham said.

Expansion is hardly the only option on the table. One administrator said the league is currently discussing "dozens" of options, while another said, "we're always having conversations as to what's best for us as a league."

(Emphasis (bold) added by me, DocBarrister.)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

This is a story from yesterday. Pretty much confirms my point … the ACC is looking to change things and considering many options.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Of course they would like to close the gap. If the commissioner didn’t say that he’d be fired. The problem is 1) most of the ACC schools will be worse off without the GOR and you need a majority to nullify. And 2) the Acc deal is a boon for ESPN and they would be incompetent to change it.

The only schools valuable enough to increase B1G / SEC member payouts are ND and FSU. If the ACC split up at this point .. FSU and ND would get taken by the big boys. Then a mix of the remainder conferences probably would combine.

Unc, Uva, Clemson, Miami, GT, Kansas, Arizona,Arizona State, Utah Texas Tech, Nc State, Wvu, VT, Pitt, Oregon, BC, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Cal, BYU.

Something like that won’t be the B1G or SEC but will be coast to coast and probably more of a payout than now. That way a majority acc schools could vote to disband but they would need an iron clad contract before the vote.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:09 pm Of course they would like to close the gap. If the commissioner didn’t say that he’d be fired. The problem is 1) most of the ACC schools will be worse off without the GOR and you need a majority to nullify. And 2) the Acc deal is a boon for ESPN and they would be incompetent to change it.

The only schools valuable enough to increase B1G / SEC member payouts are ND and FSU. If the ACC split up at this point .. FSU and ND would get taken by the big boys. Then a mix of the remainder conferences probably would combine.

Unc, Uva, Clemson, Miami, GT, Kansas, Arizona,Arizona State, Utah Texas Tech, Nc State, Wvu, VT, Pitt, Oregon, BC, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Cal, BYU.

Something like that won’t be the B1G or SEC but will be coast to coast and probably more of a payout than now. That way a majority acc schools could vote to disband but they would need an iron clad contract before the vote.
ESPN and the PAC-12 have been trying to work out a new deal. However, the PAC-12 has been having trouble justifying more money.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... apart.aspx

One speculative option … get an agreement with the ACC that would create seldom seen matchups and generate more viewership for both conferences … and ESPN.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:53 pmmy head hurts.
Well when you’ve got the ghost of Peter Brown and Doc debating..
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s not even clear the republic of cali will let UCLA loose and stiff the already broke UC system. My brother in law is a (general not athletics) administrator at Berkeley, I’ve heard all his complaints about the systems lack of dough for a decade. And that’s before this recession hits the un funded pension obligation liability of CalPers which is going to be nasty in 2023 due to its investment composition (ie lot of illiquid assets relative got he average system). But the state cares greatly formUC Berkeley so they would absolutely protect them by stopping UCLA if they felt compelled. No other state would work so hard (except Texas when they stuffed SMU for the politicians favorites Baylor where if you’re player nurses a teammate the coach is allowed to call the victim a drug dealer publicly.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 am It’s not even clear the republic of cali will let UCLA loose and stiff the already broke UC system. My brother in law is a (general not athletics) administrator at Berkeley, I’ve heard all his complaints about the systems lack of dough for a decade. And that’s before this recession hits the un funded pension obligation liability of CalPers which is going to be nasty in 2023 due to its investment composition (ie lot of illiquid assets relative got he average system). But the state cares greatly formUC Berkeley so they would absolutely protect them by stopping UCLA if they felt compelled. No other state would work so hard (except Texas when they stuffed SMU for the politicians favorites Baylor where if you’re player nurses a teammate the coach is allowed to call the victim a drug dealer publicly.
Unc and Uva are in a way worse position with Nc state and VT much more joined at the hip and states not big enough to have 2 major conference teams going forward.

The B1G would take Cal for the huge NorCal market and maybe have to let Stanford go.
ggait

Post by ggait »

This is a story from yesterday. Pretty much confirms my point … the ACC is looking to change things and considering many options.
It actually contradicts your point.

Because there is nothing in this article even suggesting that an ACC school bolting to the SEC or B10 is even possible or being considered. Which makes sense, since that is basically impossible for several years to come.

Sure the ACC will play around with alliances and mergers with the other left behind conferences (Pac 12 and B12). Because those discussions are the primary available options. The B10 and SEC are invitation only clubs. And it is not clear at all that either conference would even want to invite any ACC schools.

Playing the cable carriage territory game, UNC/UVA (who basically suck at football) make more sense to add than FSU/Clemson/Miami. And FL and USC presumably want no part of those football schools. And the SEC commissioner has been CRYSTAL clear that the SEC is not going near any GOR mishegas with a 10 foot pole. Why mess up the awesomely good thing they already have going?

Sure contracts can be amended. But only when ALL the necessary parties agree to amend.

So all you need for Doc's scenario to play out is for ALL the following parties to agree: (i) the SEC and/or the B10; (ii) ESPN and/or Fox, (iii) the ACC leaving teams (and no one knows who might be a leaver vs. a left behind), and (iv) the ACC leave behind teams (BC, Syracuse, Wake, Duke, Pitt, GT, NCSt, VT, etc. etc.).

Sure relying upon the GOR to keep things together does not facilitate a healthy long term relationship. But why would the jilted schools vote to waive their lucrative rights under the pre-nuptial agreement pre-maturely? And why would the super-rich P2 schools want to get hooked up schools of meh football hotness, who have issues/baggage, and who will make them less rich?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:18 pm
It actually contradicts your point.

Because there is nothing in this article even suggesting that an ACC school bolting to the SEC or B10 is even possible or being considered. Which makes sense, since that is basically impossible for several years to come.

Sure the ACC will play around with alliances and mergers with the other left behind conferences (Pac 12 and B12). Because those discussions are the primary available options. The B10 and SEC are invitation only clubs. And it is not clear at all that either conference would even want to invite any ACC schools.

Playing the cable carriage territory game, UNC/UVA (who basically suck at football) make more sense to add than FSU/Clemson/Miami. And FL and USC presumably want no part of those football schools. And the SEC commissioner has been CRYSTAL clear that the SEC is not going near any GOR mishegas with a 10 foot pole. Why mess up the awesomely good thing they already have going?

Sure contracts can be amended. But only when ALL the necessary parties agree to amend.

So all you need for Doc's scenario to play out is for ALL the following parties to agree: (i) the SEC and/or the B10; (ii) ESPN and/or Fox, (iii) the ACC leaving teams (and no one knows who might be a leaver vs. a left behind), and (iv) the ACC leave behind teams (BC, Syracuse, Wake, Duke, Pitt, GT, NCSt, VT, etc. etc.).

Sure relying upon the GOR to keep things together does not facilitate a healthy long term relationship. But why would the jilted schools vote to waive their lucrative rights under the pre-nuptial agreement pre-maturely? And why would the super-rich P2 schools want to get hooked up schools of meh football hotness, who have issues/baggage, and who will make them less rich?
it's ridiculous at this point. the latest for him i think? is espn is the big swinging d*ck now.

i'm gonna take you to task on this one in red as an alum. you very easily could've said *or* or *and/or*. hoos don't have any major issues/baggage that i'm aware of.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Just meant that any acc school trying to bolt to the p2 would have the baggage of the gor — big exit liabilities, uncertainty, litigation, and no game inventory.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:14 pm Just meant that any acc school trying to bolt to the p2 would have the baggage of the gor — big exit liabilities, uncertainty, litigation, and no game inventory.
i was just joshing.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Leave it to the money-mad football schools, ADs and Presidents to create a situation that makes the past NCAA $#1tshow look reasonable by comparison.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:09 am

Leave it to the money-mad football schools, ADs and Presidents to create a situation that makes the past NCAA $#1tshow look reasonable by comparison.
The B1G has done a wonderful management and PR job for its members. Most are not Football mad schools.
Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa, UCLA are not football mad in the least. The philosophy of predominantly grouping large state research schools with huge alumni and major media markets is cohesive and powerful. It creates a hugely powerful alliance politically and financially.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjMOXqvL ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Sort of my take. I don’t like how NIL is being implemented. I would prefer the players across the entire sport getting a piece of the pie.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”