Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by Farfromgeneva »

5-2 with an opportunity to go 6-2 before NEC playoffs against last place SHU. Pretty clear this team is lacking something the 19-20 edition didn’t even if that’s veteran experience, but a ton of talent so even a Conf only schedule we are worst case 5-4 and unlikely probably between 6-3 and probably more likely 7-3 or 8-3. Combine that and the last three years is a cumulative 24-8 to date and probably like 26-8 or 27-8 since the start of 2019.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Thought I saw Knox out there in the very beginning. But, I didn't see him or Yanko on the sideline. Sacred Heart next. They have only pride to play for and it will be a typical physical game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Shots were 49-28. SOG 21-14.

0/3 EMO so we should just ask if we can play even man on opponents penalties at this point. Just give us the possession.

23-24 on clears, 12 TOs (vs 19). 70% on FO.

Look at the stat line and you’d wonder why we didn’t win by 5 but watching the game told you something different.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We really have to highlight Madonna. I was optimistic on him from HS (not always right as I thought Ben Coster and Henry Mann we’re going to be downhill dodging scorers who could play two way for example) and met a guy in Skaneateles who knew his family but when he’s played he’s been criminally underrated. On a team that had many weapons the last two years he was
23,9,32 (16gms, 2.0pts/Gm)
7,2, 9 (3gms, 3/Gm)
16,8,24 (7gms, 3.4/Gm)
46,19,65 on 26 games

In fact if I check I suspect we may find that he has surpassed Onox production career wise now...

Still think if Knox is a healthy scratch again either suspend him or play him but I have no idea what’s going on.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I was sure I saw Yanko out of uniform last Saturday, so he may be injured. I also like to see him in there to open the inside.
Did Barthelme play today? I watched, but without Ted's commentary. The camera was too far away (or my eyes too bad) to pick up numbers.
Honestly, what bothered me today was the lack of urgency and the poor shooting. The O also looked really uncreative. The final shot was by far the best of the game. So many of the other shots were underhand cranks from the outside that either missed the cage or hit the goalie in the chest. We have some really good inside players, but we seem to shy away from that sort of play.
I can't say whether the D played well or not. If you hold any team scoreless for 26 minutes, that is pretty good. But how good is Wagner's O?
From minute 3 of the game it looked like they were dictating the pace. If not for the score, it would have been a very boring game.
My final thought: We'd better get ready for SHU. There hasn't been an easy game yet this season, and we don't help ourselves when we underestimate an opponent. The NEC is the right league for us.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

I really want to know what’s going on with Knox. I know that coaches don’t want to give away too much information that other teams can use to game plan, but this is baffling to me. Didn’t he score nine in one game as a first-year? I know that there were other factors influencing that total, but he’s got talent.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:43 pm I was sure I saw Yanko out of uniform last Saturday, so he may be injured. I also like to see him in there to open the inside.
Did Barthelme play today? I watched, but without Ted's commentary. The camera was too far away (or my eyes too bad) to pick up numbers.
Honestly, what bothered me today was the lack of urgency and the poor shooting. The O also looked really uncreative. The final shot was by far the best of the game. So many of the other shots were underhand cranks from the outside that either missed the cage or hit the goalie in the chest. We have some really good inside players, but we seem to shy away from that sort of play.
I can't say whether the D played well or not. If you hold any team scoreless for 26 minutes, that is pretty good. But how good is Wagner's O?
From minute 3 of the game it looked like they were dictating the pace. If not for the score, it would have been a very boring game.
My final thought: We'd better get ready for SHU. There hasn't been an easy game yet this season, and we don't help ourselves when we underestimate an opponent. The NEC is the right league for us.
Always difficult to separate goalie form D but pure data is Holtby was 6/14 on saves (below 50%) and Wagner had one assist on 8 goals.

Giving up 8 goals isn’t bad especially when it seems like we only had the ball maybe 20-25min Despite a FO advantage so the offense was below average and has to do better but we probably could’ve easily held wag to 5-6 goals had Holtby been seeing the ball better
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

That was a terrible lacrosse game
It looked like mid level high school ball
Cannot believe how poor the fundamentals are for D1 level athletes.
There have been a number of comments about underestimating our opponents, that should not be a problem at this time of year for this team
Despite the high hopes we had for this squad coming off last year’s shortened season the fact is they are just not very good and are certainly not clearly better than any other team in the NEC.
Hopefully the boys grind out a couple of more wins but Coach Raymond likes to talk about being the underdog , he certainly will easily have that role with this team.
Look out for SHU playing for pride
They are always tough and would love to give Hobart a black eye to finish the season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well the positive is still since 2018 the team has been

11-5
4-1
5-2
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

After yesterday's "win", just praying the D3 talk doesn't start back up!!
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:22 pm After yesterday's "win", just praying the D3 talk doesn't start back up!!
Nah- we really can't hold too much stock in this season.

It's been interesting to see a number of D1,D2, & D3 crossover games happen- not sure if that will continue going forward or if it's only a byproduct of this funky 2020 season. That being said- what I wouldn't give to see a Hobart/Naz (insert your team of choice) destruction one more time.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

At this point in the season it’s pretty obvious that LIU, St.Joe’s, and Bryant are superior teams to the Hobart Statesmen. Assuming we could beat two of them to win the NEC title (and that would be a huge assumption), would we really want to send a team that’s not even top 30 quality out against the Maryland Terrapins? I think not.

After watching the last couple of games (and I only watched Wagner out of the corner of my eye), it’s apparent that we only have three true scoring threats: Mott, Madonna, and Archer. The rest of the bunch aren’t consistent threats. We can write Knox off, I think. Limit the top 3 scorers and we’re dead in the water.

I watched Bryant play yesterday for a half and they were fantastic. The had 30 shots by halftime, and most of them were high quality. Of course I’m getting ahead of myself. First comes SHU, and as someone said, I’m sure they’ll be looking to give us a black eye. It would make their season to beat us.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It was clear weeks ago that the best NEC teams would have offensive options 4-6 which I don’t think LIU has but SJU does have depth and Bryant is inconsistent like us.

Losing Knox (not to mention not having Herlihy) thinned the offense out a lot.

Didn’t see Baltzer out there and think he’s a hge difference maker for us as well.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

The EMO production with this team is, as we all know, pretty pitiful. But, what I don't understand and I've never understood it is, why does the team waste a good portion of the penalty time passing the ball round and round, back and forth with very little happening. Well I guess they're getting closer to goal and I guess they're looking for a defender to react slowly for a possible shot. Of course some team do a better job than others.
What I would like to see happen is, the player behind the goal acts as a, lets say, a conductor. He's the one looking for the open man and that man becomes open because the others players are constantly moving. When the players are constantly moving the defense looses track, a little confusion sets in. Hence, someone becomes open. I'm sure my thinking is wrong, but what the heck.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:14 pm At this point in the season it’s pretty obvious that LIU, St.Joe’s, and Bryant are superior teams to the Hobart Statesmen. Assuming we could beat two of them to win the NEC title (and that would be a huge assumption), would we really want to send a team that’s not even top 30 quality out against the Maryland Terrapins? I think not.

After watching the last couple of games (and I only watched Wagner out of the corner of my eye), it’s apparent that we only have three true scoring threats: Mott, Madonna, and Archer. The rest of the bunch aren’t consistent threats. We can write Knox off, I think. Limit the top 3 scorers and we’re dead in the water.

I watched Bryant play yesterday for a half and they were fantastic. The had 30 shots by halftime, and most of them were high quality. Of course I’m getting ahead of myself. First comes SHU, and as someone said, I’m sure they’ll be looking to give us a black eye. It would make their season to beat us.
The reason SHU is struggling is they’ve only had two offensive guys since Saggese and Tuttle left in Lilberg and Edwards.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Agree the only real consistent threats we have are Archer , Mott and a rejuvenated Madonna.
The problem is none of those guys are dynamic scoring threats like LaCalandra from LIU.
They are not drawing attention of slides to create opportunities for the other guys.
Through the past number of years guys like Alex Love, Frank Brown, Aslanian, Holden created a lot of concern for opposing defenses
This squad without Knox does not create that problem for the opposition
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Whatever is happening Knox was probably the best crease scorer we’ve had in D1. 54 goals in first 21 games and 40%+ shooting.

There’s been tremendous crease players like Jake McHenry but the relative loss to the offense without Knox is devastating. Again after losing Herlihy before the season too.

On the crease and for man up at least, i still don’t see why Ty Yanko can’t get some time given what he’s done last couple of summers in box. Maybe have a othe canadian around the cease who plays box?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch, I wouldn't categorize Bryant's shot selection as great. I watched the game and a lot of them were ? mark dodges with a leaping shot. Not a lot of great passing (which kills Hobart). O'Rourke took 24 shots!. He did score on 6 of them. To quote a friend and LIU alum, they rely on their offense to win games, not the D to stop their opponents. If their goalie wasn't as good as he is, they would be struggling to win most of their games. We still have to beat SHU, who loves to be physical. A note regarding Ty Yanko. He runs point in box on emo. He isn't a prototypical crease guy.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:22 pm It was clear weeks ago that the best NEC teams would have offensive options 4-6 which I don’t think LIU has but SJU does have depth and Bryant is inconsistent like us.

Losing Knox (not to mention not having Herlihy) thinned the offense out a lot.

Didn’t see Baltzer out there and think he’s a hge difference maker for us as well.
Wait a minute didn't you BEAT Bryant. And it wasn't close

Didn't you give the game away to an inferior St Joes.

Didn't the LIU goalie have 21 saves yet you lost only by 2.

Yep the team sucks. This threads as gloomy as my Hop posters.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Looking at the NEC stats shows some interesting things. A few I noted:

5th in Gbs/gn despite clear #2 in FO (behind SJU). Fairly tight except SNU and Bryant pave the pack

2nd to last in shooting % to SHU at 25.3% (LIU has a crazy team 36.4% w next best at 29%)

2nd yo last time Wags in EMO % and we get 0.6 goals/game on EMO while being last with a 68% penalty kill and give up 1.5 goals/Gm EMO so lose basically a goal a game to penalty situations.

2nd in GAA a little behind SJU-overall D doing its job
Held everyone but SJU and Wags under their season avg (SJu in 11s/gm and wags is like 7.6 and we gave up 8)

4th in saves/gm about 4/gm less than top LIU but 2nd in save % pretty close to LIU

Anyone realize SJU has won 7 straight?

Only 3 teams above 50% on FO all three above 60% (Bryant barely at 60.1%) everyone else 48% and lower

Simas is tied for #1 in GW goals with 3 of his 11 on the season...

Nobody close to Cole in GBs/gn at 11 per, Shea #2 at 7.4 (question is who is second team all NEC between Shea and Blanchard?)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”