Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by kramerica.inc »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:10 am Last time I went through a job interview process (for my current position), it required 13 interviews over four separate days over a four month period and a whole lot of paper work (initial interview, practice group interviews, litigation group interviews, local office interviews). Background checks, conflict checks, reference checks, etc., etc., etc.

For a high profile position like the lacrosse head coach at Johns Hopkins, it is very impressive that they are moving so quickly.

DocBarrister
If that's the case, is it "impressive?"

:?

A month or two seems very reasonable for most high profile coach searches. Especially one that no one saw coming to give candidates a chance to prepare. With Corona and no College lax/playoffs, JHU is ahead of the normal college lax hiring schedule... No sense to rush IMO, unless they already had someone in mind.

If that person who was in mind (Nads) falls through or turns them down, you could see it protracted.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Good question. I think Kirwan is a good coach. But the question may be does he just have the best players? All these players that the new UVA staff inherited like Kraus, Moore, Aitken, Laviano, etc. Now certainly something is to be said for their success last year, but were off to a rocky start in 2020.
HopDad2024

Post by HopDad2024 »

When Navy was looking for a new coach they named about 6 or 8 coaches and not one of them was Joe Amplo.

We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. The only thing I know is that the job was offered to several D1 coaches
and for a variety of reasons they all decided not to proceed to the next stage.

JHU will get a top shelf coach and in the end it's the players the continue or change the culture.

In my opinion what we have seen in the past few years was the result of early recruiting and early recruiting not done well.
JHU has a lot to offer a 5 or 4 star lacrosse recruit. Great education, great facilities and a network of alumni that will almost guarantee
the student athlete a job after graduation.

The JHU program is not going anywhere. No we don't have the resources of a UMD, PSU , UM or OSU but we are funded very well by our boosters
and we all know they want success.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopDad2024 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:26 am When Navy was looking for a new coach they named about 6 or 8 coaches and not one of them was Joe Amplo.

We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. The only thing I know is that the job was offered to several D1 coaches
and for a variety of reasons they all decided not to proceed to the next stage.

JHU will get a top shelf coach and in the end it's the players the continue or change the culture.

In my opinion what we have seen in the past few years was the result of early recruiting and early recruiting not done well.
JHU has a lot to offer a 5 or 4 star lacrosse recruit. Great education, great facilities and a network of alumni that will almost guarantee
the student athlete a job after graduation.

The JHU program is not going anywhere. No we don't have the resources of a UMD, PSU , UM or OSU but we are funded very well by our boosters
and we all know they want success.
how is it that you know it was offered to several d1 coaches?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Joe wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 am Heard a rumor today. From a reliable source that said Marr was not contacted for the job, and that all candidates for the job decide not to take it. Salary? Scaling back program? Interesting I heard this today when yesterday rumors were swirling around that Galloway was now being considered. Kind of fits the rumor I hear. As I stated earlier my son in a commit 2021. We are anxiously awaiting news. Thought it would be done by now.
I don’t believe that.
That everyone turned down the job.
This has been a comprehensive search, judging by reports.
I think its Nadelens, if he wants it.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Offered is a little strong. They were considered to be interviewed or they were interviewed, then decided it was not for them.
HopDad2024

Post by HopDad2024 »

Offered is the wrong word. Contact was made to see if there were interested in the job and the interest was not there.

While I agree most of us feel that we should have a line of coaches beating down the door to get this job but we don't
know what their situation was/is. Kids in school, just bought a house etc. Plus the jury is still out on new AD and like any other
institutions I am sure they are looking for cuts to be made and everyone might have to take a bite of that apple.

I know we will get a great coach but once again the players have to change the culture.
Yes I agree with Mr3Putt that offered was the wrong word.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

In reading all of these comments I just wanted to ask if anyone knows what the Towson players think of Nadelen? Is he a coach who brings a strong team culture? Honestly know nothing about him as a coach other than Towson's performance.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopDad2024 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:49 am Offered is the wrong word. Contact was made to see if there were interested in the job and the interest was not there.
Which is very typically in all coaching searches. It would be malfeasance on the part of Hopkins to not contact guys like Tillman or Dino or someone like that. You don't know until you ask. Further, this is why search firms are used. They can reach out to candidates that might not be on the radar screen but might actually be interested.

It is also why you see guys talking about taking their name out of consideration. There was some type of communication (and sometimes no communication) to show they weren't interested.

There is nothing wrong with it.

Hopkins is at what 11 days. Generally, that is not that long and then you add in travel restrictions and other COVID complications, it should take longer than normal. Further, I'd be shocked if an announcement was made on a Friday. Typically, these types of announcements come during the beginning part of a week. An announcement on a Friday makes the information disappear over the weekend. Much better for all involved to have announcement on a early part of the week to allow for the coach to talk with various media, new players, etc. without chasing people down over the weekend. Again, virus outbreak makes that tougher too.
viho

Post by viho »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:35 am
Joe wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 am Heard a rumor today. From a reliable source that said Marr was not contacted for the job, and that all candidates for the job decide not to take it. Salary? Scaling back program? Interesting I heard this today when yesterday rumors were swirling around that Galloway was now being considered. Kind of fits the rumor I hear. As I stated earlier my son in a commit 2021. We are anxiously awaiting news. Thought it would be done by now.
I don’t believe that.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:44 am I wonder how much Hopkins paid for that Venture search firm and whether it was worth it or not.
The fact they never contacted Marr is a story. Apparently seasonal mullets and unconventional program pictures are not welcome on Charles street and foiled what would have been a great hire.

I pictured Top five recruiting classes running all over the field like the second coming of the Hanson Brothers (or thompson's, take your pick)
It would have made for must watch lacrosse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ZulbertiSocks wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:55 pm It's official. The announcement will be made tomorrow. Welcome, Coach....never mind, you'll have to wait.
ZulbertiSocks wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:36 pm They have their guy...it's not Galloway. Never was. Announcement tomorrow, everyone can stop pretending they know something. The new coach's last name rhymes with "obvious choice". But it has been fun reading about all of these so-called scenarios.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I wonder if the admin also participated in Early Recruiting. 8-) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
harflax

Post by harflax »

Laxsmitty wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:55 am In reading all of these comments I just wanted to ask if anyone knows what the Towson players think of Nadelen? Is he a coach who brings a strong team culture? Honestly know nothing about him as a coach other than Towson's performance.
Really respected by the Towson players, at the same time very demanding. The word "hard ass' is commonly used. You are not getting a players coach or a 180 from Petro.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:35 am
I don’t believe that.
Sorry to be a nit picker. But have they contacted Tillman, Tiffany, Toomey, Tierney, Desko and Shay?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:46 pm
ZulbertiSocks wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:55 pm It's official. The announcement will be made tomorrow. Welcome, Coach....never mind, you'll have to wait.
ZulbertiSocks wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:36 pm They have their guy...it's not Galloway. Never was. Announcement tomorrow, everyone can stop pretending they know something. The new coach's last name rhymes with "obvious choice". But it has been fun reading about all of these so-called scenarios.

I want a betting pool. WOMBAT, start a poll or something!

It's going to be Greg Raymond and why you are not understanding this is symptomatic of how delusional you all are. Also, Hop might get close to beating Loyola in 3 years.

Thanks for coming to my TEDx Talk.

8-)
CU77

Post by CU77 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:40 pm Sorry to be a nit picker. But have they contacted Tillman, Tiffany, Toomey, Tierney, Desko and Shay?
Their search firm should have. That's what search firms are for.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:46 pm

I want a betting pool. WOMBAT, start a poll or something!

It's going to be Greg Raymond and why you are not understanding this is symptomatic of how delusional you all are. Also, Hop might get close to beating Loyola in 3 years.

Thanks for coming to my TEDx Talk.

8-)
PB with the right coach who can utilize the talent the team still has in the cupboard... they could be scary good in 2021
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:20 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:10 am Last time I went through a job interview process (for my current position), it required 13 interviews over four separate days over a four month period and a whole lot of paper work (initial interview, practice group interviews, litigation group interviews, local office interviews). Background checks, conflict checks, reference checks, etc., etc., etc.

For a high profile position like the lacrosse head coach at Johns Hopkins, it is very impressive that they are moving so quickly.

DocBarrister
If that's the case, is it "impressive?"

:?

A month or two seems very reasonable for most high profile coach searches. Especially one that no one saw coming to give candidates a chance to prepare. With Corona and no College lax/playoffs, JHU is ahead of the normal college lax hiring schedule... No sense to rush IMO, unless they already had someone in mind.

If that person who was in mind (Nads) falls through or turns them down, you could see it protracted.
If Doc is a partner in a firm that’s a different animal because you are a revenue producer not a manager. If he’s counsel it’s comparable.

It’s not Raymond. Smokescreen.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

They got rid of Petro. They didn't ask Tillman, Tiffany, Toomey, Tierney, Desko or Shay.
They aren't looking for proven talent. They want cheap (er) talent.
Again, JHU's athletics budget isn't the same as an OSU, UMich or UMD. Or comparable to many full D1 athletic programs, either.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:12 pm Again, JHU's athletics budget isn't the same as an OSU, UMich or UMD. Or comparable to many full D1 programs, either.
That might be changing, and changing fast.

Desko just took a 10% paycut. All Athletic Departments will be short on cash for a while.....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”