Pre-2020 summer transfers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Realguy

Re: Pre-2020 summer transfers

Post by Realguy »

Wheels wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:14 pm
Realguy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:03 pm What did Tillman do for Zappala.. not hogtie him and hold him hostage.
Supported him long after he enrolled at Drexel. You should read up on it.
Being polite to some kid you recruited and your making a big deal about it. He is supposed to be nice to a kid who is a little bit confused about his future. It's called being decent.
DMac

Post by DMac »

"Your (sic) making a big deal about it"?? I'd call that a pot meet kettle moment.

Am curious, inasmuch as you know a whole lot about Maryland lacrosse, how many ex Md laxers have gone on to become Navy SEALs? I would think earning their SEAL Trident would be a walk in the park for those guys after their four years of training in College Park. There quite a few of them?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You’d think we were on the Navy thread, or Vermont laxmom was back
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

DMac wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:11 am "Your (sic) making a big deal about it"?? I'd call that a pot meet kettle moment.

Am curious, inasmuch as you know a whole lot about Maryland lacrosse, how many ex Md laxers have gone on to become Navy SEALs? I would think earning their SEAL Trident would be a walk in the park for those guys after their four years of training in College Park. There quite a few of them?
And noting pot meet kettle moments: "There (sic) quite a few of them?"
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 am
DMac wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:11 am "Your (sic) making a big deal about it"?? I'd call that a pot meet kettle moment.

And noting pot meet kettle moments: "There (sic) quite a few of them?"
Not quite the same, Dip, that's commonplace slang...your and you're have completely different meanings.
At the clambake Tils said, "I just got a dozen steamers", his SEAL friend asked, "There more over there?"
Capiche?
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:58 am You’d think we were on the Navy thread, or Vermont laxmom was back
laxmom :lol: :lol:
I miss her.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

It seems there are more impact or high profile transfers in lacrosse today. Should lacrosse players be forced to sit a year similar to baseball and ice hockey which are also equivalent sports unlike football and basketball. The new recruiting rules may help this issue sort itself out on it's own . A sit out clause would protect some developing programs from losing a top recruit to a perennial
power but also the athlete whose school choice was based on the current roster. Goalies and FOGO's are effected more since one player usually gets the vast majority of the playing time.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxpert wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:07 pm It seems there are more impact or high profile transfers in lacrosse today. Should lacrosse players be forced to sit a year similar to baseball and ice hockey which are also equivalent sports unlike football and basketball. The new recruiting rules may help this issue sort itself out on it's own . A sit out clause would protect some developing programs from losing a top recruit to a perennial
power but also the athlete whose school choice was based on the current roster. Goalies and FOGO's are effected more since one player usually gets the vast majority of the playing time.
why would you want to restrict a kid's movement to go to the school of his choice? he has one opportunity to play his 4 years of college, not to mention to go to college itself and enjoy that experience to the fullest, to a place that fits them best.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:58 am You’d think we were on the Navy thread, or Vermont laxmom was back
Interesting thing about Vermont lax mom is this; she was right about coaching.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Attackman Jack Walsh (Miller Place, N.Y.) will transfer from
@StonyBrookMLAX
to
@SHUMensLax
, per a source. Led the Seawolves in assists in 2018 and 2019, accumulating 12G/47A during his first two seasons.
Good pickup for Sacred Heart.
They lost some good senior leadership this year.
renault

Post by renault »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:43 pm
laxpert wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:07 pm It seems there are more impact or high profile transfers in lacrosse today. Should lacrosse players be forced to sit a year similar to baseball and ice hockey which are also equivalent sports unlike football and basketball. The new recruiting rules may help this issue sort itself out on it's own . A sit out clause would protect some developing programs from losing a top recruit to a perennial
why would you want to restrict a kid's movement to go to the school of his choice? he has one opportunity to play his 4 years of college, not to mention to go to college itself and enjoy that experience to the fullest, to a place that fits them best.
completely agree. the transfer rules should always benefit the player, not the team. this isn't football.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Nobody wants to hurt a kid. But still the number of transfers speaks to the verbal commits and crazy parents letting kids say they will come at such young ages. The rules may have been changed, but does anybody really believe that kids are not being contacted through channels?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

notentitled wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 am Nobody wants to hurt a kid. But still the number of transfers speaks to the verbal commits and crazy parents letting kids say they will come at such young ages. The rules may have been changed, but does anybody really believe that kids are not being contacted through channels?
Nope.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
born2lax

Post by born2lax »

Are there any notable names still out there who haven’t found a new home?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

born2lax wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 am Are there any notable names still out there who haven’t found a new home?
Info is rather sparse on lax transfers unlike football unless the player announces his doings.

Like the way that Grill handled his business, was announced he entered the portal then no pronouncements about visits, narrowing of lists etc until he landed at Maryland.

Just felt cleaner absent the fawning and speculation
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

stupefied wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:34 am
born2lax wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 am Are there any notable names still out there who haven’t found a new home?
Info is rather sparse on lax transfers unlike football unless the player announces his doings.

Like the way that Grill handled his business, was announced he entered the portal then no pronouncements about visits, narrowing of lists etc until he landed at Maryland.

Give me a break with this. With all due respect to Grill, his transfer was not nearly of the same degree of public interest as the Gray and Scanlan transfers. Gray is one of the best attackmen in the country. His transfer was one of the biggest in recent memory. The dude just scored 110 points. It's ok that a big deal was made of it. Really. It's fine. Everyone is going to be ok.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am
stupefied wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:34 am

Give me a break with this. With all due respect to Grill, his transfer was not nearly of the same degree of public interest as the Gray and Scanlan transfers. Gray is one of the best attackmen in the country. His transfer was one of the biggest in recent memory. The dude just scored 110 points. It's ok that a big deal was made of it. Really. It's fine. Everyone is going to be ok.
I'm with Stupefied. I get that transfers are sometimes the right move when the program and player aren't a good fit for each other, and I support the player's ability to choose where to move on in those situations.

Still, it's dissolving a relationship and a set of mutual commitments with the previous program, and I think there's a lot to be said for going about it quietly and circumspectly, out of respect to everybody involved. Of course the kid can't control whether people are going to talk and speculate. But I will say that I find it pretty distasteful if they start to give the impression of publicly enjoying the attention, or even taking it as an occasion for self-promotion.

Jftr, I am not claiming that anybody isn't going to be ok, whatever that means. :roll: 16, you seem pretty dismissive about what looks to me like a valid expression of personal preference.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Unless I missed it , all quiet on Taite Cattoni's landing. Showed well before injury.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Homer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:17 pm Of course the kid can't control whether people are going to talk and speculate.
Yeah, that's the point.

All Gray did was tell Xanders (who was doing his job as a reporter) about the schools he was considering. Then he visited those schools, made a decision, and updated Xanders.

The reason that didn't happen for Grill or most of the other transfers is because, quite frankly, no one cared. Had enough people been interested in the ongoing status of that transfer, then that information would have gotten out there. It says nothing about the character of any individual player that his transfer was "quiet" and others weren't.

Scanlan probably could have benefited from some media training, but that, again, was propelled by intense public interest. Do we think he called up LSN himself, asking to do an interview? Outlets knew people wanted to know where the best freshman middie in the country was headed, and so these outlets followed the story. This happens in literally every major sport.

It's not just stupefied's posts—there's been so much hand-wringing over this. I guess some are just used to nobody giving a crap about lacrosse in the media? I take it as a good thing that these major player movements are gaining some traction. But I suppose some people prefer the sport remain the insular club that it is, completely closed off from the people who'd like to know more about behind-the-scenes stuff.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Scanlon the best Freshman middie in the land?

This is based on what, exactly?

Take him on my team, but would take

Matt Grillo (providence) and TJ Malone (nitme lions), I would also take.

Timmy Ley (BU) managed to acquire SIX points to Scanlon's ONE when they played each other. And BU won the game. Ley also had a much better shooting percentage, way more GB's, less TO's and never had the chance to pad his stats like Scanlon did against middling teams like Hopkins. ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:21 pm Scanlon the best Freshman middie in the land?

This is based on what, exactly?

Take him on my team, but would take

Matt Grillo (providence) and TJ Malone (nitme lions), I would also take.

Timmy Ley (BU) managed to acquire SIX points to Scanlon's ONE when they played each other. And BU won the game. Ley also had a much better shooting percentage, way more GB's, less TO's and never had the chance to pad his stats like Scanlon did against middling teams like Hopkins. ;)
Timmy Ley is an attackman. But thanks for finally outing yourself as someone who doesn't actually watch the games.

I don't know who Matt Grillo is but Providence lists him as an attackman too.

Scanlan also had significantly more points than all of these people.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”