Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 51percentcorn »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 am When a team struggles or is losing it avails itself to more suggestions of what to do to make it better. Try Player X... Move Player Y....the coach is a moron... Those types of posts then bring out counter proposals or defenses of the current situation. It is sports and people become passionate about it particularly when they all want a team to do well.

As for me. The team is playing well. Not sure they are a top 5/6 team - though likely a top 10 team. They have certainly been playing well. I'd love to see Hopkins replay the UNC game with a full weeks preparation. Saturday's opponent is going to be a tough one. PSU has beaten some good teams and would almost be a mirror image of Hopkins. A team that wasn't supposed to be that good has been right the ship if you will after a couple of tough seasons.
Agree with alot of this. We'll find out soon enough what ranking is appropriate. I think you throw in the incredible chaos and volatility of the last 15 years with one of the most recognizable programs in the sport then the commentary and angst is going to voluminous and dies down if the ship appears to be under sail in the right direction.
jhu06 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:33 am The jump from Not Ranked/Receiving votes to top 10 is a lot more chaotic, polarizing, and emotional than the jump from where we are now to where Duke/UVA/the fighting Kavanaughs are in 2023. I'm sure 51 or someone can break down what it will take for the 23 jays to make that jump better starting this week but it requires more consistency more than anything else. Cutting down on turnovers, better faceoffs, avoiding the runs that rutgers/delaware had, closing out teams before the 4th instead of needing to close late, stars playing at an all american level rather than an all conference level etc.
There's no secret formula or breakdown for Hopkins. It certainly looks right now that Duke/UVA/Notre Dame and Cornell (especially if Long ever really returns healthy) are the Top 4 teams. The great thing about the NCAA tournament is you won't have to play all four (probably) and you don't have to beat them 2 out of 3/3 out of 5 etc. You only have to do it once. There's only one word that really matters - Possessions. What goes into possessions? Of course that is Face-offs/non face-off Ground balls/Saves/Turnovers. If you are playing one of those teams - any team really - but especially one of those teams - if what happened against UVA happens again (outshot by 16/out ground balled by 20/out faced off by 11/same number of turnovers) then you have little to no shot. Hopkins is probably not the most comfortable team to play right now - the Jays are very willing to go really deep in the shot clock and with the emergence of English/Evans/McDermott and the versatility of Melendez they have alot of pieces that can go difference places on the field and have picked up the slack after opponents discovered Collison. But they need two things maybe more than some - e.g. UVA or Duke might survive a sub-par day from the goalie - they need solid to better than solid goaltending (Hopkins tends to surrender more shots on average and opponents have put 2 more shots on goal) and they need the ball to execute that patient offense and wear defenses down.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 am I'd love to see Hopkins replay the UNC game with a full weeks preparation.
Obviously we didn't realize it at the time, but the UNC game is now the clear outlier as compared to the rest of the season. Felt pretty good that they were going to win against UNC and then they completely collapsed in the 4th quarter. Since then, seems like every game has been tight through 3, with the pulling away in the 4th quarter.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:58 am
steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 am When a team struggles or is losing it avails itself to more suggestions of what to do to make it better. Try Player X... Move Player Y....the coach is a moron... Those types of posts then bring out counter proposals or defenses of the current situation. It is sports and people become passionate about it particularly when they all want a team to do well.

As for me. The team is playing well. Not sure they are a top 5/6 team - though likely a top 10 team. They have certainly been playing well. I'd love to see Hopkins replay the UNC game with a full weeks preparation. Saturday's opponent is going to be a tough one. PSU has beaten some good teams and would almost be a mirror image of Hopkins. A team that wasn't supposed to be that good has been right the ship if you will after a couple of tough seasons.
Agree with alot of this. We'll find out soon enough what ranking is appropriate. I think you throw in the incredible chaos and volatility of the last 15 years with one of the most recognizable programs in the sport then the commentary and angst is going to voluminous and dies down if the ship appears to be under sail in the right direction.
jhu06 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:33 am The jump from Not Ranked/Receiving votes to top 10 is a lot more chaotic, polarizing, and emotional than the jump from where we are now to where Duke/UVA/the fighting Kavanaughs are in 2023. I'm sure 51 or someone can break down what it will take for the 23 jays to make that jump better starting this week but it requires more consistency more than anything else. Cutting down on turnovers, better faceoffs, avoiding the runs that rutgers/delaware had, closing out teams before the 4th instead of needing to close late, stars playing at an all american level rather than an all conference level etc.
There's no secret formula or breakdown for Hopkins. It certainly looks right now that Duke/UVA/Notre Dame and Cornell (especially if Long ever really returns healthy) are the Top 4 teams. The great thing about the NCAA tournament is you won't have to play all four (probably) and you don't have to beat them 2 out of 3/3 out of 5 etc. You only have to do it once. There's only one word that really matters - Possessions. What goes into possessions? Of course that is Face-offs/non face-off Ground balls/Saves/Turnovers. If you are playing one of those teams - any team really - but especially one of those teams - if what happened against UVA happens again (outshot by 16/out ground balled by 20/out faced off by 11/same number of turnovers) then you have little to no shot. Hopkins is probably not the most comfortable team to play right now - the Jays are very willing to go really deep in the shot clock and with the emergence of English/Evans/McDermott and the versatility of Melendez they have alot of pieces that can go difference places on the field and have picked up the slack after opponents discovered Collison. But they need two things maybe more than some - e.g. UVA or Duke might survive a sub-par day from the goalie - they need solid to better than solid goaltending (Hopkins tends to surrender more shots on average and opponents have put 2 more shots on goal) and they need the ball to execute that patient offense and wear defenses down.
The quality of the possessions aside from the turnovers, which is like mrs.lincoln saying there were positive things about the play, have been a lot better this year. I'm sure you can make comments about shooting percentage numbers, but it feels like more of the shots have either been quality on goal shots or not right at the goalie enabling the other team to get out in transition fast. It seems we've seen a lot fewer situations with offensive players caught on defense or even attackmen for long periods-something that's crushed us in the past.

We'll see what the late possessions do to opposing defenses when the weather gets hotter and more humid. If we get deep into the big ten tournament we'll see those schools like penn state, ohio state, michigan, and even Rutgers which might not be used to the Baltimore heat after months in that frigid Schembechler air.

If there was a list of players who are going to define this season from here on out mine would probably be in order marcille, the hot fogo of the day, one of peshko or grimes maximizing their potential, mazzone, jaronski, the third attackman they settle on, and hawley.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

I’m rather enjoying the Hopkins whack a mole offense. Shut down Collison, English jumps up. Shut down Degnon, McDermott springs up. Shut off Grimes, Evans surprises you. As the season has progressed, the Jays offense has become more diversified and harder to defend.

The second half of the PSU vs. Maryland is worth watching again to see how the Nit Lions offense can be subdued. Hint: They love going around the cage.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

viper wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:36 am
JHU69 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:28 pm Prefer Zim to Dix.
I'll take any of them over "Anish and the "Lax-Bros" (except Ryan Boyle) of ESPN any day of the week.
Boyle is very good with exceptional insight and analysis. Carc and Quint are hyperbolic hot air blow hards full of useless Cuse/Hop references and inane BS droning while the play goes on. It’s tiresome.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

I recall several years back when Q babbled for the entire third quarter of a game without once mentioning the game on the field...
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Women nearly beat maryland yesterday for the first time ever with the tying terp goal coming on a shot that never went in. Looks like their new coach is turning things around.

If that non terp goal had happened with the men probably would've gone down in national college lacrosse lore. Just a ridiculously bad call.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Saturday should be very interesting. Many of the statistics point to mirror images of each other - similar shot percentages/similar face-off percentages/similar TOs per game/similar gbs pergame/similar save percentages/similar defensive statistics PSU has taken about 5 more shots per game than Hopkins. The teams that have given Penn State trouble have dominated them on face-offs and Marquette and Maryland held them to 28 and 18 ground balls respectively and in those two games Penn State committed 6 fouls in each game. I think the home field advantage could be important and given the Lions are almost 50% in man-up it would be wise to stay out of the box ourselves. Every game seems to have more and more import - figure out a way and you can postpone tee times until at least May 15 or 16 because you will be playing that week-end.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Agree with pretty much all of the above. It's going to be a tough one. Coming off an emotional win on Senior Day in which they were able to exorcize the Scarlet demon that's been bothering them for a year or two, it's not hard to envision something of a "letdown" performance this week. If the Jays get off the bus and play a good game then that'll be perhaps the surest sign yet that they have learned how to handle success — a concept heretofore unfamiliar to many of the guys on the team — and are keeping their eyes on the prize.

This weekend would be a good time for Big Country aka The Scarborough Slayer aka The Nightmare From the North aka Matt Collison to break out of his mini slump. It's positive for the offense that they were able to score 15+ goals in back to back games without Collison potting any but I don't see that continuing for long. Gotta get the kid going a bit. Teams are selling out to stop him from sweeping to the middle but he's got more levels to his game than that — think we'll see some more of them soon.

If you believe in this kind of thing, last time we played a regular-season game under the lights at PSU, the now offensive coordinator scored the game-winning goal in OT off a lefty rip from the wing. Ryan Evans has been reminding me a bit of Crawley lately.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

The Jays have yet to put together a complete game this season.
They need a game where everything is working, face-offs, goal-tending, gbs, offense and defense...
They've shown flashes and have been finishing games, but not quite hitting on all cylinders yet.
If they can do that, especially tomorrow night, they could finish this season strong.
My feeling is, this team is maybe a step or two away from being a serious threat.
Now is the time to really gel. Hoping to see a really fired up Blue Jay team enter Panzer stadium tomorrow night.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

From the Hop social media post, Krampf is back at practice.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:31 pm From the Hop social media post, Krampf is back at practice.
I thought I saw Krampf was dressed last week, but he just didn't play.

Looks like Bauer is practicing as well. Still don't see Chauvette.

Curious what they do with English and how Bauer's possible return may or may not affect his deployment...keep him on the 2nds with Evans and McDermott where he had success last week or maybe create an All-Canada line with Collison and Peshko? Could easily see both looks within the same game. I don't love Collison and Grimes on the field together at the same time if they can help it so my vote would probably be for a Canadian line and then one with Grimes/Evans/Bauer/McDermott.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:53 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:31 pm From the Hop social media post, Krampf is back at practice.
I thought I saw Krampf was dressed last week, but he just didn't play.

Looks like Bauer is practicing as well. Still don't see Chauvette.

Curious what they do with English and how Bauer's possible return may or may not affect his deployment...keep him on the 2nds with Evans and McDermott where he had success last week or maybe create an All-Canada line with Collison and Peshko? Could easily see both looks within the same game. I don't love Collison and Grimes on the field together at the same time if they can help it so my vote would probably be for a Canadian line and then one with Grimes/Evans/Bauer/McDermott.
Crawley loves to mix and match. I agree with you … to date, I am not a big fan of Collison and Grimes being on the same line.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
molo

Post by molo »

That puts two tall lefties on the same line. Makes more sense to splice them up but run them together on EMO.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

maryland just got a possession because ohio states fogo had the wrong color gloves. better recheck the equipment the rest of the way. glove gate is real.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:05 pm maryland just got a possession because ohio states fogo had the wrong color gloves. better recheck the equipment the rest of the way. glove gate is real.
I thought that was a real bush move by Maryland. The got a possession near the end of a tie game by using some obscure rule about glove color. You want to win the game, go out and win the game.

It was bush when Billy Martin did it with the pine tar, and it's bush now.
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The only thing glove gate shows at it applies to Hopkins is that Tillman has an extreme level of attention to detail and someone should be pouring through the rulebook to ensure that anything beyond the play on the field is accounted for on April 21. The Maryland coach using a completely insignificant rule to obtain possession - which could be argued hurt his team - and the OSU coach completely losing his $H!+ to the point where Maryland players were laughing and clapping at him was not a great look for the sport.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The scouting report on wierman and who they deploy against him might be the deciding factor in that game. Once Wierman took control the ohio state offense went caput. He had a total lock on their brains. Their lsm geppert is also quite the handful.

Ohio State was really good at getting inside and finishing last night and their goalie was impressive keeping them in it. They mentioned on the broadcast that ohio state struggles staying out of the box so man up can really help us next week if it's working.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:11 am The only thing glove gate shows at it applies to Hopkins is that Tillman has an extreme level of attention to detail and someone should be pouring through the rulebook to ensure that anything beyond the play on the field is accounted for on April 21. The Maryland coach using a completely insignificant rule to obtain possession - which could be argued hurt his team - and the OSU coach completely losing his $H!+ to the point where Maryland players were laughing and clapping at him was not a great look for the sport.
If the only way Maryland can beat the Jays this year is with an equipment check, I will take that as a moral victory. But as I wrote after the Georgetown game, this year the Jays are enjoying real victories as well.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”