HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

Joe B. and Dixon are doing the OSU game
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Prefer Zim to Dix.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Current predictions on if the Hop makes the NCAA Tournament? I say:

YES
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

No more wins: Bubble out.
One additional win (my most likely scenario): Bubble in.
Two additional wins: Seed.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

It's probably a question of where we're seeded at this point and what the magic number is to clinch a big ten bye/regular season title. Doubting whether a 9-3 Hopkins team that is 2-0 in the conference can make it is probably rare hopkins fandom humility after the deep abyss. It's going to take time to learn to be positive and confident again.

I always confuse joe tessitore and joe beninati.

We're ahead of maryland in one poll this week and behind them by a single vote in another. Not sure when the last time we were ahead of them in both was but it's probably been awhile.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not that I think it likely, but if the Jays were not selected after a three-game losing streak to end the regular season followed by a first-round B1G loss you would not hear me complain. There is always a case to be made for bubble-out teams (think ND and Duke last year), but somebody has to be bubble-out.

I expect the Jays to win at least one more. If in the regular season, that gives them an easier first-round B1G game, so that means I think two more wins is more likely than no more wins. So, yes, I think a seed is more likely than bubble-out.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:02 pm Not that I think it likely, but if the Jays were not selected after a three-game losing streak to end the regular season followed by a first-round B1G loss you would not hear me complain. There is always a case to be made for bubble-out teams (think ND and Duke last year), but somebody has to be bubble-out.

I expect the Jays to win at least one more. If in the regular season, that gives them an easier first-round B1G game, so that means I think two more wins is more likely than no more wins. So, yes, I think a seed is more likely than bubble-out.
I know its been a rough few years, but we're playing well, on a 5-game winning streak, and while the B1G is probably the best conference this year top-to-bottom, there are no unbeatable teams. I'm going to try to resist the temptation of figuring out the bubble situation if we go winless (or only win 1) the rest of the way.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:20 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:02 pm Not that I think it likely, but if the Jays were not selected after a three-game losing streak to end the regular season followed by a first-round B1G loss you would not hear me complain. There is always a case to be made for bubble-out teams (think ND and Duke last year), but somebody has to be bubble-out.

I know its been a rough few years, but we're playing well, on a 5-game winning streak, and while the B1G is probably the best conference this year top-to-bottom, there are no unbeatable teams. I'm going to try to resist the temptation of figuring out the bubble situation if we go winless (or only win 1) the rest of the way.
the ncaa site has 16 team categories on the individual team pages. We're in the bottom half of the conference in 13 of them-all except win percentage, saves per game, and opponent clearing percentage. There's your hesitation despite the record. Penn State is 1 or tied for 1 in 7. Rutgers even after last weekend is 1 in 3 categories.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:33 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:20 pm

the ncaa site has 16 team categories on the individual team pages. We're in the bottom half of the conference in 13 of them-all except win percentage, saves per game, and opponent clearing percentage. There's your hesitation despite the record. Penn State is 1 or tied for 1 in 7. Rutgers even after last weekend is 1 in 3 categories.
Just keep winning games. Enjoy the ride. Its been awhile.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I’m guessing:

10 total wins = bubble team needing some help
11 wins = in the tournament
12 wins = top 8 seed and first round home game
13 wins = top 4 seed
14 wins (win all remaining games and B1G title) = #1 seed

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I'm with primitive. The Jays are in a good spot. Just enjoy the ride.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:33 pm the ncaa site has 16 team categories on the individual team pages. We're in the bottom half of the conference in 13 of them-all except win percentage, saves per game, and opponent clearing percentage. There's your hesitation despite the record. Penn State is 1 or tied for 1 in 7. Rutgers even after last weekend is 1 in 3 categories.
A lot of those stats are not great indicators of how good a team actually is unless you adjust them for the level of competition. We have the best offense in the conference when you look at adjusted efficiency. It's not super helpful to know how many goals Rutgers scored against Marist and St. John's.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Anyone else feel that the Hopkins thread loses steam just as the team plays better?

It’s like a person who feasts off misery more than success.

I can’t be the only one to notice this.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Finster wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:01 pm Anyone else feel that the Hopkins thread loses steam just as the team plays better?

I would agree. When the team struggles a lot of the fans overreact (myself included) but it’s only because we want the program to do well. Add in the fact when the Jays struggle it brings out every buffoon from Cuse, College Park and Loyola camps ready to do cartwheels of joy through the thread.

When the Jays are rolling they disappear and the worry wart fans tend to chill.

So if you want action here make sure to check back in if the Jays blow the next three games. :D
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Finster wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:01 pm Anyone else feel that the Hopkins thread loses steam just as the team plays better?

I don't think there's a loss of steam, I think it's a transition. We're used to a series of narratives around the program and obviously some of those are changing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Stevens' first bracketology out. Has us as the #6 seed hosting Penn. The gist is pretty much what we've been saying here: The Jays are in a good position but there's some more work to do to lock it up.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ivy-league

He has us getting fed into the Albany quarterfinal instead of Annapolis which normally may not be ideal but given how we seem to play at NMCMS that might not be the worst thing.

Beat Penn State on Saturday night.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The ceiling appears to be the 4 seed and avoiding the acc in round one. Anything worse and we're looking at a potential round 1 date with a loyola/north carolina.

I could be wrong but doesn't seem like one of the tougher bubbles.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

I think the boys would looove to see Loyola or UNC again! :lol:
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:23 pm

I would agree. When the team struggles a lot of the fans overreact (myself included) but it’s only because we want the program to do well. Add in the fact when the Jays struggle it brings out every buffoon from Cuse, College Park and Loyola camps ready to do cartwheels of joy through the thread.

So if you want action here make sure to check back in if the Jays blow the next three games. :D
When a team struggles or is losing it avails itself to more suggestions of what to do to make it better. Try Player X... Move Player Y....the coach is a moron... Those types of posts then bring out counter proposals or defenses of the current situation. It is sports and people become passionate about it particularly when they all want a team to do well.

As for me. The team is playing well. Not sure they are a top 5/6 team - though likely a top 10 team. They have certainly been playing well. I'd love to see Hopkins replay the UNC game with a full weeks preparation. Saturday's opponent is going to be a tough one. PSU has beaten some good teams and would almost be a mirror image of Hopkins. A team that wasn't supposed to be that good has been right the ship if you will after a couple of tough seasons.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 am
flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:23 pm

When a team struggles or is losing it avails itself to more suggestions of what to do to make it better. Try Player X... Move Player Y....the coach is a moron... Those types of posts then bring out counter proposals or defenses of the current situation. It is sports and people become passionate about it particularly when they all want a team to do well.

As for me. The team is playing well. Not sure they are a top 5/6 team - though likely a top 10 team. They have certainly been playing well. I'd love to see Hopkins replay the UNC game with a full weeks preparation. Saturday's opponent is going to be a tough one. PSU has beaten some good teams and would almost be a mirror image of Hopkins. A team that wasn't supposed to be that good has been right the ship if you will after a couple of tough seasons.
The jump from Not Ranked/Receiving votes to top 10 is a lot more chaotic, polarizing, and emotional than the jump from where we are now to where Duke/UVA/the fighting Kavanaughs are in 2023. I'm sure 51 or someone can break down what it will take for the 23 jays to make that jump better starting this week but it requires more consistency more than anything else. Cutting down on turnovers, better faceoffs, avoiding the runs that rutgers/delaware had, closing out teams before the 4th instead of needing to close late, stars playing at an all american level rather than an all conference level etc.
viper

Post by viper »

JHU69 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:28 pm Prefer Zim to Dix.
I'll take any of them over "Anish and the "Lax-Bros" (except Ryan Boyle) of ESPN any day of the week.

Of course I still miss the "good ol days" of Jody Martin and then Larry Quinn on WJHU......

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”