Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by Farfromgeneva »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:47 am Sensible gun safety at work? Let's keep allowing those perpetrating criminal gun offenses to post bail, and head back out into society to magically become good citizens. Except when they don't, and they kill 8 people during a little murder with a criminally owned firearm spree:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/8- ... rcna135176

One year ago, after being identified as a suspect in a drive by shooting/road rage incident, police caught up with Romeo. Nance put up a struggle as they attempted to take him into custody. Police said officers found a loaded gun in the car. He was charged with aggravated discharge of a weapon, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, aggravated assault, reckless discharge of a firearm and obstructing a peace officer. Next steps for our legal system? Hey, let's let him out on bail. What could possibly go wrong? County jail records indicate he was freed after posting $10,000 of his $100,000 bail. Smfh.

Even better, Illinois' SAFE-T Act established cashless bail last September. More brilliant! It's an outrage he had to post a $10k bail in the first place! Future violent arrested folks perpetrating illegal firearm offenses will just...walk right out the door of the precinct after the inconvenience of an hour or two of processing.

Would all law abiding citizens who own and utilize guns legally kindly report to the nearest government facility to hand them in. You are the problem. You are unsafe to society! And the government has got the public safety thing covered.
Bail is about showing up for your court date not having anything to do with the future behavior. Whatever he did on bail has nothing to do with the reason bail exists in the first place. Innocent until proven guilty. Unless you belie the standard changes if a police officer levies a charge.

What a person does regarding a bail violation is very far removed from the topic of sensible gun safety” as well. This all seems off the mark except to lash out at a movement you don’t like.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:49 pm
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:47 am Sensible gun safety at work? Let's keep allowing those perpetrating criminal gun offenses to post bail, and head back out into society to magically become good citizens. Except when they don't, and they kill 8 people during a little murder with a criminally owned firearm spree:

One year ago, after being identified as a suspect in a drive by shooting/road rage incident, police caught up with Romeo. Nance put up a struggle as they attempted to take him into custody. Police said officers found a loaded gun in the car. He was charged with aggravated discharge of a weapon, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, aggravated assault, reckless discharge of a firearm and obstructing a peace officer. Next steps for our legal system? Hey, let's let him out on bail. What could possibly go wrong? County jail records indicate he was freed after posting $10,000 of his $100,000 bail. Smfh.

Even better, Illinois' SAFE-T Act established cashless bail last September. More brilliant! It's an outrage he had to post a $10k bail in the first place! Future violent arrested folks perpetrating illegal firearm offenses will just...walk right out the door of the precinct after the inconvenience of an hour or two of processing.

Would all law abiding citizens who own and utilize guns legally kindly report to the nearest government facility to hand them in. You are the problem. You are unsafe to society! And the government has got the public safety thing covered.
Bail is about showing up for your court date not having anything to do with the future behavior. Whatever he did on bail has nothing to do with the reason bail exists in the first place. Innocent until proven guilty. Unless you belie the standard changes if a police officer levies a charge.

What a person does regarding a bail violation is very far removed from the topic of sensible gun safety” as well. This all seems off the mark except to lash out at a movement you don’t like.
I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you regarding bail of any sort for those arrested on serious weapons charges, where ample demonstrable evidence is available (as in this case) to suggest the accused "not getting bail" is in the best interest of public safety. If that's far removed from the topic of sensible gun safety in your mind, again, I'll need to respectfully disagree.

Yes, as a law abiding citizen it is my duty to "lash out" as you term it :roll: at a movement that is seeking to curtail (or better yet) completely eliminate a right, and do so based on an increasingly slick and obfuscatory narrative buffet which misses the target by a country mile. Many here feel that this stance makes one some kind of 2A nutjob. Funny, for 240 years such a stance made someone an engaged member of a law-abiding citizenry who cared about the well being of their country, neighbors, friends, and family.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
Typical Lax Dad

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:39 pm

I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you regarding bail of any sort for those arrested on serious weapons charges, where ample demonstrable evidence is available (as in this case) to suggest the accused "not getting bail" is in the best interest of public safety. If that's far removed from the topic of sensible gun safety in your mind, again, I'll need to respectfully disagree.

Yes, as a law abiding citizen it is my duty to "lash out" as you term it :roll: at a movement that is seeking to curtail (or better yet) completely eliminate a right, and do so based on an increasingly slick and obfuscatory narrative buffet which misses the target by a country mile. Many here feel that this stance makes one some kind of 2A nutjob. Funny, for 240 years such a stance made someone an engaged member of a law-abiding citizenry who cared about the well being of their country, neighbors, friends, and family.
How do you feel about limiting the right to vote?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Your first paragraph mischaracterizes what I wrote. Specifically nowhere did I say anything to lead one to interpret or read “se) to suggest the accused "not getting bail" is in the best interest of public safety.”

And while gun safety overlaps with public safety they are not the same thing.

So….i don’t get your response.

Second paragraph. Well I happen to know emotional or angry quite well and…

Anyone can pick at Wikipedia so feel free as there’s no shortage of other primary source information to support this. It’s quite simple as I stated having once kicked the tires on this business along with a few others that are street level but wicked profitable.

Bail in the United States
Article Talk
Language
Watch
Edit
Bail in the United States refers to the practice of releasing suspects from custody before their hearing, on payment of bail, which is money or pledge of property to the court which may be refunded if suspects return to court for their trial. Bail practices in the United States vary from state to state.[1]

History
edit
Bail mechanisms were originally intended to allow someone charged with a crime to remain free until their trial (being presumed innocent) while ensuring that they would show up for it. A person's family or business acquaintances often had an interest in seeing them appear in court and would help to ensure that they did so. Some historians speculate that a shift towards the use of cash bail may have occurred with western expansion, as people became more transient and lacked connection with local family and community.[2]

In pre-independence USA, bail law was based on English law. Some of the colonies simply guaranteed their subjects the protections of that law. In 1776, after the Declaration of Independence, those states that had not already done so enacted their own versions of bail law.[3] For example, Section 9 of Virginia's 1776 Constitution originally stated, "excessive bail ought not to be required..." In 1785, Virginia added an additional protection to its constitution, "Those shall be let to bail who are apprehended for any crime not punishable in life or limb...But if a crime be punishable by life or limb, or if it be manslaughter and there be good cause to believe the party guilty thereof, he shall not be admitted to bail." Section 29 of the Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776 states that "Excessive bail shall not be exacted for bailable offences: And all fines shall be moderate."[4]

In 1789, the same year that the United States Bill of Rights was introduced, Congress passed the Judiciary Act of 1789. That law specified which types of crimes were bailable and set bounds on a judge's discretion in setting bail. The Act provided that all non-capital crimes are bailable and that in capital cases the decision to detain a suspect prior to trial was to be left to the judge:[5]

Upon all arrests in criminal cases, bail shall be admitted, except where punishment may be by death, in which cases it shall not be admitted but by the supreme or a circuit court, or by a justice of the supreme court, or a judge of a district court, who shall exercise their discretion therein.
The prohibition against excessive bail in the Eighth Amendment is derived from the Virginia Constitution.[6] That prohibition applies in federal criminal prosecutions but, as the Supreme Court has not extended that protection to the States through the Fourteenth Amendment, the Eighth Amendment protection does not apply to defendants charged in state courts.[7]

The creation of cash bail as a business is often dated to 1896, when San Francisco bartenders Peter P. McDonough and his brother Thomas McDonough began putting up bail money for patrons of their father's saloon.[8] Eventually offering a wide variety of "services" to those arrested, McDonough became a central figure in the underworld and police corruption.[9]
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

In the you can't make this up section of the news today, we have carjacking, one of the peskily prevalent acts of criminal violence committed with an illegal firearm in our civil society. Some feel no cash bail is warranted. And parole/early release for those convicted, despite frequent recidivist "oopsie" criminality headlines being all too common.

This week in Washington DC:
https://news.yahoo.com/community-demand ... 27895.html

This week in Washington DC:
https://www.newsweek.com/mike-gill-carj ... al-1865503

Luckily, Mr. Gill still clings to life. A different man confronted by the same carjacker shortly later was murdered. :roll:

Mr. Geneva above: I am not so sure we aren't a little gummed up on our exchange. I of course strongly agree that "innocent until proven guilty" protections are critically important. And that America's relationship with a fair application of the law is badly fractured and unfair based on social, economic, racial, gender, etc. lines. It could use a complete overhaul, I'm sure most here would agree. From policing to prosecution (or not) to trial to sentencing to parole, etc. etc. the inequities and abuses are written into American jurisprudence.

What my initial post was bothered about was an instance where the arrest facts as known suggested strongly that "held without bail" would have been a prudent and warranted course of action. I'm guessing the 8 murdered people would likely agree with that thought.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m not seeing responses to what I’m saying or addressing. If that’s how it rolls in this case I can’t keep spinning the wheel.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

re the bail discussion, unless there's an actual adjudication of the strength of evidence, what waffle is saying that we should trust the police as to the strength of such evidence when it comes to crimes committed with a gun. It would be "prudent" to hold the accused perp because they may commit a subsequent crime...according to the police.

And yet waffle acknowledges the potential for abuse, the long history of abuse.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:57 pm

How do you feel about limiting the right to vote?
Should be fine as long as you can bring your illegal weapon into the voting booth with you.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:16 pm re the bail discussion, unless there's an actual adjudication of the strength of evidence, what waffle is saying that we should trust the police as to the strength of such evidence when it comes to crimes committed with a gun. It would be "prudent" to hold the accused perp because they may commit a subsequent crime...according to the police.

Eliminate bail for drug and gun arrests:

https://www.themarshallproject.org/reco ... g-evidence
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:16 pm re the bail discussion, unless there's an actual adjudication of the strength of evidence, what waffle is saying that we should trust the police as to the strength of such evidence when it comes to crimes committed with a gun. It would be "prudent" to hold the accused perp because they may commit a subsequent crime...according to the police.

The potential for abusing the truth also includes the bad actors. We should without doubt or hesitation believe the words of the bad actors. It's the police that are prone to lying and the alleged criminals are the ones speaking the truth.... Do I have that right?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:54 pm

The potential for abusing the truth also includes the bad actors. We should without doubt or hesitation believe the words of the bad actors. It's the police that are prone to lying and the alleged criminals are the ones speaking the truth.... Do I have that right?
of course not, but we have a due process legal system not an authoritarian one.

I mean, you can live in Russia or China if you prefer...
Typical Lax Dad

A presumption of guilt is any presumption within the criminal justice system that a person is guilty of a crime, for example a presumption that a suspect is guilty unless or until proven to be innocent.[1] Such a presumption may legitimately arise from a rule of law or a procedural rule of the court or other adjudicating body which determines how the facts in the case are to be proved, and may be either rebuttable or irrebuttable. An irrebuttable presumption of fact may not be challenged by the defense, and the presumed fact is taken as having been proved. A rebuttable presumption shifts the burden of proof onto the defense, who must collect and present evidence to prove the suspect's innocence, in order to obtain acquittal.[2]

Rebuttable presumptions of fact, arising during the course of a trial as a result of specific factual situations (for example that the accused has taken flight),[3] are common; an opening presumption of guilt based on the mere fact that the suspect has been charged is considered illegitimate in many countries,[4] and contrary to international human rights standards. In the United States, an irrebuttable presumption of guilt is considered to be unconstitutional. Informal and legally illegitimate presumptions of guilt may also arise from the attitudes or prejudices of those such as judges, lawyers or police officers who administer the system. Such presumptions may result in suspects who are innocent being brought before a court to face criminal charges, with a risk of improperly being found guilty.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:31 pm

Probably not. I remember back in the day when Ronald Reagan was my boss and Russia and China were the potential adversaries we trained to protect folks such as yourself against. Matter of fact China and Russia don't even make my bucket list of places I would ever visit someday. I never much cared for borscht or Gen. Tso's chicken.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:31 pm

Probably not. I remember back in the day when Ronald Reagan was my boss and Russia and China were the potential adversaries we trained to protect folks such as yourself against. Matter of fact China and Russia don't even make my bucket list of places I would ever visit someday. I never much cared for borscht or Gen. Tso's chicken.
Then you get my point.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:41 pm

Then you get my point.
We have due process in the sense that law enforcement will always be guilty until proven innocent. In the world of criminal justice I believe the opposite is true. I was listening to the RPD chief of police on local radio this am. Chief Smith was opining that his force is down almost a 100 full time patrol officers. For some reason new candidates aren't exactly beating down the door to apply. Nobody is willing to explain the reason although everybody knows why.
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Pretty sure you can’t order General Tso’s Chicken in China.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:57 pm

Pretty sure you can’t order General Tso’s Chicken in China.
:lol:

Return to “POLITICS”