Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Finster »

How does Grimes not anticipate this check? He has a teammate wide open running the other direction.

This video is indicative of a player with subpar field awareness.

https://twitter.com/LacrosseNetwork/sta ... 67328?s=20
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

pleasantly surprised by the game yesterday! keep it up Jays!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:59 pm How does Grimes not anticipate this check? He has a teammate wide open running the other direction.

Not his finest moment but shouldn't you be more concerned with your team giving up another 20 bomb at home and losing their last 7 conference games?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 am I don't know what his academic situation is or career goals are but Hawley appears to still have another year of eligibility if he wanted it and they were able figure out the paperwork given that he missed all of 2021 with an injury in addition to the Covid year. Would love to have that guy back but understand 6th years are rare.
Listen closely lacrosse Gods/karma - not done with this season by a long shot - but in addition to Hawley there are 4 seniors who you would think are on the white board for consideration in '24. It will be fascinating - hopefully we will have to wait for a while to discuss that in earnest.

Watched a bit of "We Are..." today - they will be a problem. That being said - the boys might be interested in what the color commentator said with about 2 minutes left in the OSU/PSU game - something about not being surprised at all if Penn State BLOWS THE DOORS OFF JOhns Hopkins.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 am I don't know what his academic situation is or career goals are but Hawley appears to still have another year of eligibility if he wanted it and they were able figure out the paperwork given that he missed all of 2021 with an injury in addition to the Covid year. Would love to have that guy back but understand 6th years are rare.
Listen closely lacrosse Gods/karma - not done with this season by a long shot - but in addition to Hawley there are 4 seniors who you would think are on the white board for consideration in '24. It will be fascinating - hopefully we will have to wait for a while to discuss that in earnest.

Watched a bit of "We Are..." today - they will be a problem. That being said - the boys might be interested in what the color commentator said with about 2 minutes left in the OSU/PSU game - something about not being surprised at all if Penn State BLOWS THE DOORS OFF JOhns Hopkins.
PSU had 13 of their 17 goals assisted, including a bunch in a row. I would be slow to slide or at least mix it up with some aggressive doubles.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Finster

Post by Finster »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:18 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:59 pm How does Grimes not anticipate this check? He has a teammate wide open running the other direction.

Not his finest moment but shouldn't you be more concerned with your team giving up another 20 bomb at home and losing their last 7 conference games?

I’m interested in a lot of teams and players, not just ‘my own’.

And Grimes appears to not have good field awareness. Most decent high school players would not have chosen the path he did on that video.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

That color guy is Heningburg who might be butt hurt after his Scarlet Knights fell to Hop!
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
DerArzt

Post by DerArzt »

Is Penn State that good, or just Ohio State is that bad?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I love the "blow the doors" off Hopkins quote.
That's bulletin board material.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

nyjay wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:20 pm I think we're getting close to a seed and a home game in the NCAA tourney - 1 more win and we're almost assured of an at-large, 2 ore more wins for a home game is my guess.
Someone posted an opinion earlier that we are 2 wins away, but I agree with this - 1 win gets us in (most probably).

How long has it been since you could state at this point in the season that the Jays are a 4th quarter team? Fortunes change through the year and we have a long way to go till May, but we've had a lot of late game success this year. IMO, that is the single most encouraging sign for this team.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I think we had glimpses of that last year. Instead of folding and getting blown out (which seemed to happen all-too-often in previous years), they never gave up. Even in the first Maryland game, I liked the Jays' effort.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Per @laxreference on Twitter:

"as of right now, Hopkins has a better chance to make the NCAA tournament (99.7%) than Maryland (99.0%)"

Might be a little optimistic, but I'll take it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:08 am Per @laxreference on Twitter:

"as of right now, Hopkins has a better chance to make the NCAA tournament (99.7%) than Maryland (99.0%)"

Lax Reference also set our over/under win total at 5.5 and currently has us at 25 in "ELO rating," behind teams like Vermont, Lehigh, Bryant, and Brown, not to mention several teams we've beaten in Georgetown, Rutgers, Jacksonville, Delaware, St. Joe's. Take that 99.7% figure with a heaping spoonful of salt.

Jays come in at #6 in the media poll, behind Maryland. Hmm.

It's April. RPI is the name of the game.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:29 am Jays come in at #6 in the media poll, behind Maryland. Hmm.

On the first point, you can justify MD over Jays or vice versa. I wouldn't hold it against anyone for ranking either team over the other.
Your second point is critical, and our standing relative to MD will sort itself out.
Finster

Post by Finster »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:14 am I think we had glimpses of that last year. Instead of folding and getting blown out (which seemed to happen all-too-often in previous years), they never gave up. Even in the first Maryland game, I liked the Jays' effort.

From a non-Hopkins fans point of view, it’s healthy for the game to see them bank in it. Congrats!

Just need Cuse now.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:29 am
nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:08 am Per @laxreference on Twitter:

Lax Reference also set our over/under win total at 5.5 and currently has us at 25 in "ELO rating," behind teams like Vermont, Lehigh, Bryant, and Brown, not to mention several teams we've beaten in Georgetown, Rutgers, Jacksonville, Delaware, St. Joe's. Take that 99.7% figure with a heaping spoonful of salt.

Jays come in at #6 in the media poll, behind Maryland. Hmm.

Don't rain on my parade.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I can’t wait for that. When I get to hear “Player X is at Homewood but decided to focus on grad school” instead of the reality Player X was told to kick rocks
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Finster wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:57 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:14 am I think we had glimpses of that last year. Instead of folding and getting blown out (which seemed to happen all-too-often in previous years), they never gave up. Even in the first Maryland game, I liked the Jays' effort.

From a non-Hopkins fans point of view, it’s healthy for the game to see them bank in it. Congrats!

Just need Cuse now.
Actually we don't. Powelapalooza and Spallinamania were covered this year more than a lot of programs. Want Petro to do very well, the program, sorry I don't. Glad Benson is done at Maryland. Would be a real shame to see them completely flop now.

In quint's writeups this morning, where he was more positive than he's been about the program in maybe 5 years, he also said Denver/Big East are going all out for Tierney's send off this weekend.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:37 am I can’t wait for that. When I get to hear “Player X is at Homewood but decided to focus on grad school” instead of the reality Player X was told to kick rocks
Look - I don't know what happened with Epstein (player X pretty thinly veiled) - you obviously have painted your narrative and stuck to it but let's at least recognize that a) you have been incorrect (i.e. McManus was not told to hit the road or kick rocks - everybody knew he was going to Apollo halfway through the season) b) ALOT more goes into this than PM being a meanie pants. For example, this year's roster is at 49 - he only HAS to say goodbye to 5 - Versfeld, Caracciolo, Degnon, Mazzone and Narewski - everyone else could return. There is an incoming class of 16 so do we want a roster of 60? It looks like against Navy and Delaware we played the same 27 kids in 48 hours - and that's with 3 FO men - so now we want 33-35 kids scratching their you know whats on the sideline every Saturday? And that assumes no transfers in the last gasps of Covid eligibility and especially IVY league rules - e.g. what if English's brother wanted to come play with Brooksie? Would you take him? So yes - PM and the staff are going to have to make some tough choices - assuming most of the kids and families of seniors would choose to return if they could. It's not easy. Maybe he'll live with a more inflated roster for one year knowing at the end of 24 he loses the 14 current juniors and whatever if any current seniors (though some of the juniors did not play in '21)

As far as Epstein - it would be a nice barstool conversation as to what Hopkins would look like with this Milliman squad and a healthy Epstein someday. But the fact of the matter is he was never the same. If he was and was told to kick rocks then many programs would have found a way for him to play take some classes and get back to Hopkins for the degree he wants - and he would have been way more incented to take his talents elsewhere for a year. And the other fact is that Melendez's 2023 stats so far are virtually identical to Epstein's 2022 except for 2 significant improvements - Melendez has 25 points in 10 games (2.5 pts per game) - Epstein had 38 points in 15 (2.53 pts per game) and Melendez's shot percentage is about 9-10 points higher and he has only committed 13 turnovers - Epstein did pick up more ground balls. So if Milliman made that call as you paint it - it's very unfortunate for the player but it's not indefensible.
Finster

Post by Finster »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:52 am
Finster wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:57 am

Just need Cuse now.
Actually we don't. Powelapalooza and Spallinamania were covered this year more than a lot of programs. Want Petro to do very well, the program, sorry I don't. Glad Benson is done at Maryland. Would be a real shame to see them completely flop now.

In quint's writeups this morning, where he was more positive than he's been about the program in maybe 5 years, he also said Denver/Big East are going all out for Tierney's send off this weekend.

:roll:

It’s great for lacrosse when both Hopkins and Syracuse are competing in the Top-10. If you can’t admit that, you’re a hopeless homer.

Kids love to see the 2 major legacy programs in the mix. Even you as a Hopkins fan knows full well that if Cuse and Hop are top-10 and have an in-season game, the stands are completely full and the crowd is on their feet.

That is a good thing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”